Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
80499323.jpg

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Breeders and Pet Stores.

Always check every shelter in your area before you even think about buying a buying a dog. We adopted our dog, not from a shelter but the Jungle, because there are no shelters here. A healthy Mutt might never learn many commands, but they'll love you more than most pure-breeds.. Of course, there are plenty of pure-breeds in the shelters as well.

Simple Economics: Supply and Demand

Why do shelters exist? For a very simple reason: too many animals and not enough dedicated owners with loving homes. Yet every new dog that is purchased from a breeder or pet store stimulates new supply. "Supply" and "demand" are out of sync.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
my baby Cocoa. I love her to death. Even though she sores. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cocoa.jpg
    cocoa.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 110

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
dorqiekat said:
my baby Cocoa. I love her to death. Even though she sores. :rolleyes:

I have heard our dogs occasionally snore during the day. I'm a sound sleeper, so if they would snore at night I'd never notice. ;)

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Here is Dottie (get it). We have had her longer than any of our children (the oldest is 8.5).
She is everything opposite of what people say about Dals (yes we got her before the 101 dalmations movie). The absolute sweetest dog in the world except one thing-she often hates other dogs.
She also has the smile that scares the devil out of people-some think she is about to bite-but she has big teethy smile and snorts when you come home-it is wonderful. This is an older picture with our middle child Christina.

edit: she snores something awful, and boy can she clear a room when she pass es wind. :p But she will cry in the house if she hears one of my daughters crying 3 houses away, and she loves our children-and they of course think she is awesome.

Attachments

• d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 118

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
And Introducing Sheena

This is Sheena, my almost 3-year old black lab mix:

sheena.jpg

I talked to a number of people about her patches of white fur (she also has a white-tipped paw and white-tipped tail). Most common theory is that she has some border collie in her genes.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
andypress said:
My neighbors rotweiler, honestly, its the nicest dog I've ever seen

A friend's family had a rottweiler, and I swear it was the most well-adjusted and social dog I had seen until I got my boxer. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I think boxers and rotts have similar lineage. I think the difference is that the Rottweiler feels more loyalty to friends and family, thus having reactions to strangers that some may (mis-)construe as aggression.

Funniest thing, I took my boxer puppy to his first obedience class yesterday. All of the puppies in the class are timid and not social (or "sweet" as the owners called them). Everyone was shocked at Gatsby, who loves anything that breathes. He was jumping up and down, whole backend wagging and doing all of the boxer dances that their owners love. One couple tried to say that we had an aggressive dog (wtf? no growling or attacking or dominance attempts = aggressive?) when the instructor flat out told them they were idiots, and that they'd better introduce their cowering Border Collie to him in hopes that they could socialize their puppy and make it less nervous.

I guess the point that I was trying to make in that pointless story is that anyone considering getting a dog should look into it and read a little. Learn to recognize unhealthy forms of aggression and submission and what you can do about it. Take the time to socialize your puppy starting at about 3-4 months old (after your major shot panels). It makes your experience with them so much more fulfilling. Oh yeah, and don't trust regular people who give their .02 on training a dog. If you wouldn't trust them with your child, don't even surmise that they know anything about a puppy (unless they are an experienced breeder or a professional who has been working with dogs a LONG time).

Jim

Pugdawg1

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
Elko, Nevada
I lurk more than anything, but heres a couple pics of my boys:
th_BestofWinstonwithBall.jpg

This is Winston with a ball.

SnowyPugs12-31-04.jpg

Bentley & Winston

mysleepingboys.jpg

All three... Bentley, Winston & Oscar (front to back)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Pugdawg1 said:

SnowyPugs12-31-04.jpg

Bentley & Winston

mysleepingboys.jpg

It's with great pleasure that I view my name sake. Winston looks to be a healthy happy dog. ;) :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
wdlove said:
It's with great pleasure that I view my name sake. Winston looks to be a healthy happy dog. ;) :D
All those posts, and, until now, I wasn't sure that the "W" was your first initial, much less what it stood for. :)

Joe

TheSith

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2004
rosekittycrop2it.jpg

Here's my dog - Rosie, a miniature daschund (although she is really quite plump!). My cat is also seen under the chair.. Kit. Dottie, the other cat, is probably spying on Rosie from a high place during this picture. :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Here's my chocolate Labrador Caleb.

When he was a little pup:
79f5.jpg

And when he was a bit older

a121.jpg

He's very intelligent but has absolutely no common sense!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
jsw said:
All those posts, and, until now, I wasn't sure that the "W" was your first initial, much less what it stood for. :)

Joe

An interesting thread for the revelation of *2* big posters first names....:D

-A (mwhahahahahaha!)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Pugdawg1 said:

SnowyPugs12-31-04.jpg

Bentley & Winston

mysleepingboys.jpg

I love the picture with the ball - it almost as big as his head. :p

See my profile pic for a taste of what my dog does to tennis balls. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
OutThere761 said:
An interesting thread for the revelation of *2* big posters first names....:D

-A (mwhahahahahaha!)

Thank you both for noticing. Who was the other poster, seems that I missed the other revelation?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
wdlove said:
Thank you both for noticing. Who was the other poster, seems that I missed the other revelation?

jsw replied to your earlier post and signed off with "joe" - maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen him use that at the end of his posts before. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.