Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schlumpf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
Hello,

A few weeks ago two tiny black dots appeared on my screen, this week I found a third and a fourth. This worries me as I do my best to take great care of my laptop. I transport it in leather sleeve and I don't fill up my backpack. It's a MacBook Air M2, which is except for this dots issue, an amazing machine.

This is how it looks on camera:
IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1515.jpeg

When I contacted Apple Support they told me to make an appointment with the Genius Bar, which I will do, but first I want to know does this look like user error? If so what should I do to prevent more damage? Or should I just make an appointment?

When I asked in the AppleStore about how best to clean my display when I found the first two dots, without taking my laptop there, they said something along the lines of "when you carry your laptop in your backpack that might happen, as it is dust that cracks the display, it happens to all laptops".

Hope y'all can give me some useful advice, I thank you in advance.

When writing this post I found even more dots :(

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
irst I want to know does this look like user error?
Those are dead, or stuck pixels. It should be covered under warranty. If the support person at the Apple Store does not agree, move your way up the food chain. Don't fault the Apple employee as they are following rules. Upper management can, and should, authorize a replacement of the entire device or replacement of the screen.

Dust does not cause those kinds of problems. Unless the dust is the size of a kidney stone.

Schlumpf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
Those are dead, or stuck pixels. It should be covered under warranty. If the support person at the Apple Store does not agree, move your way up the food chain. Don't fault the Apple employee as they are following rules. Upper management can, and should, authorize a replacement of the entire device or replacement of the screen.

Dust does not cause those kinds of problems. Unless the dust is the size of a kidney stone.
Thank you very much for your advice!

Schlumpf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
Last year they neatly fixed this problem under warranty within a week, but somehow these dots are appearing again (almost a year later). Is there something I do wrong or is well known to break on these devices?
I always carry the laptop in a case, make sure no things press hard on it. Just a bit worried, these things are not cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.