Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
My iPhone 5 beta doesn't allow my messages app to work what so ever so I decided to try and restore and downgrade.

Didn't work.

Can anyone help me?

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
My iPhone 5 beta doesn't allow my messages app to work what so ever so I decided to try and restore and downgrade.

Didn't work.

Can anyone help me?

I'm actually having issues too, and I am registered dev. My update froze, so I started it over again. Then went to restore a backup, none of them work. So decided to go back down to iOS 7, it will not restore it, even in DFU mode. Not sure what is going on.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
I'm actually having issues too, and I am registered dev. My update froze, so I started it over again. Then went to restore a backup, none of them work. So decided to go back down to iOS 7, it will not restore it, even in DFU mode. Not sure what is going on.

Correct, I already tried that.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

Correct, I already tried that.

Perhaps signing servers are slammed?

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
It did just magically start restoring now, that was after I manually downloaded the IPSW files to try too. So to be clear, putting the device in DFU mode and then clicking Restore iPhone did work just a minute ago, even though it wasn't earlier.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
It did just magically start restoring now, that was after I manually downloaded the IPSW files to try too. So to be clear, putting the device in DFU mode and then clicking Restore iPhone did work just a minute ago, even though it wasn't earlier.

Oh really? I'll try again then!

EDIT: Nope. Dang

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
You are using an ipsw for 7.1.1, right? Apple isn't signing any earlier version of iOS 7.

Yeah. I downloaded the 7.1 download direct from developer account and it says 7.1_11D167_restore

EDIT: What the hell, my messages app just magically turned on by itself. WHAT

bd4

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2014
That's an old one.
You'll need iOS 7.1.1 (which is build 11D201).

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
Thanks a bunch guys. Now that my messages and phone apps are running again, I think I'll keep it running.

txmade

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Did it work once you downloaded the right ispw? I want to make sure the dfu mode works before I install.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
it says on the dev site devices updated to iOS 8 cannot be downgraded....has anyone successfully downgraded?

youslippin

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
I can confirm DFU restore works with the ipsw for 7.1.1. The ios 7 download that is on the dev portal is actually the older 7.1. It kept failing for me with that download. Once I figured out that it wasnt 7.1.1, I downloaded a good file and am now downgrading

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I can confirm DFU restore works with the ipsw for 7.1.1. The ios 7 download that is on the dev portal is actually the older 7.1. It kept failing for me with that download. Once I figured out that it wasnt 7.1.1, I downloaded a good file and am now downgrading

Where can I get 7.1.1 since I have upgraded to 8b1?

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
No issues for me. After the upgrade on 7 I choose a complete wipe and start from scratch. Been use iMesaage since I got it back up with no issues.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
No issues for me. After the upgrade on 7 I choose a complete wipe and start from scratch. Been use iMesaage since I got it back up with no issues.

I'd be willing to start over if there was a working way too get pics from MBP to iPhone camera roll.

----------

Google ipsw and click the first link that pops up

And Verizon LTE 5s is considered Global, not GSM right?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

How exactly did you do it?

When I tried using DFU mode and a 7.1.1 ipsw file, iTunes told me I couldn't do it because the firmware is not compatible or something.

Verizon iPhone 5s 32gb

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
DFU mode, click restore (no option click), iTunes will automatically download the correct file for you and restore. No issues, and glad to be back on solid ground with 7.1.1.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
How exactly did you do it?

When I tried using DFU mode and a 7.1.1 ipsw file, iTunes told me I couldn't do it because the firmware is not compatible or something.

Verizon iPhone 5s 32gb

I was able to successfully downgrade from iOS 8 to iOS 7.1.1.

I simply put my phone in DFU, went to restore my iPhone, selected iOS 7.1.1 ISPW, it restored back without an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.