Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VL_424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
For people who have updated or have had the beta version of Messages on iCloud, does this normally take a long time the first time it is activated? Been stuck on "Downloading Messages from iCloud..." with zero progress on progress bar, going on about 90 minutes. It's currently making my texts lag and appear out of order.

BlIZfG5.jpg

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm thinking that everyone is slamming the servers, especially with it being a brand new service. The initial sync will probably take a lot longer than daily syncs. Surely with decent WiFi speeds and when left plugged in overnight, I'm sure it will finish by the time you wake up.

tuzzanti

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
Having the same issues.

The iPhone looks like it finished its upload which took about 30 minutes and then my iPad is struggling to download.

Tim

I'm thinking that everyone is slamming the servers, especially with it being a brand new service. The initial sync will probably take a lot longer than daily syncs. Surely with decent WiFi speeds and when left plugged in overnight, I'm sure it will finish by the time you wake up.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
My iPhone X worked fine. I updated my iPad mini also and is all syncing. But when I got home I did my iPad Pro 9.7” and it only downloaded partial messages to around April. I left in all night plugged in and no updates. I have disableed and reenabled today and hours later nothing while new messages continue to come through.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I had to have my devices plugged in before all my messages would download. I have 800mg and it took about 30 minutes to download. I also saw the progress bar and sometimes it would say it was paused until device was on wifi an plugged in.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Mine has been stuck on Downloading Messages from iCloud all day. Progress bar shows nothing. I did have a bar for Uploading. Not sure what the deal is. Just turned on iCloud messages and it's been funky since. Stuck on downloading. I have only turned it on for my X. I also have 15 GB of messages. Not sure if that means anything as far as why it's not going anywhere.

tuzzanti

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
Mine showed no progress and then it was just done. Took a couple hours.

Messages total size seems to be 3gb based on the iCloud information.

I also made sure my phone had finished its upload before I started the process on the iPad.

Mine has been stuck on Downloading Messages from iCloud all day. Progress bar shows nothing. I did have a bar for Uploading. Not sure what the deal is. Just turned on iCloud messages and it's been funky since. Stuck on downloading. I have only turned it on for my X. I also have 15 GB of messages. Not sure if that means anything as far as why it's not going anywhere.

VL_424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016

Still zero progress on the status bar. Some iMessage texts are actually disappearing as I send them now also. Any progress on your backup?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Still zero progress on the status bar. Some iMessage texts are actually disappearing as I send them now also. Any progress on your backup?

Nope. Same thing. Turned it off. Had to swap phones and don’t want to risk loosing my stuff. Will keep it off until I hear more updates from others.

jakeowens

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, my computer and iPad are all working correctly, but my iphoneX is stuck on downloading messages for days now. tried turning messages in icloud off and it's still stuck. I don't get some messages on my phone now and when I send some messages they instantly dissapear and I don't know if the person got them or not. What a mess :(

VL_424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Yeah, my computer and iPad are all working correctly, but my iphoneX is stuck on downloading messages for days now. tried turning messages in icloud off and it's still stuck. I don't get some messages on my phone now and when I send some messages they instantly dissapear and I don't know if the person got them or not. What a mess :(
Yes, same issue here still. Works great on my MacBook but it’s doing terrible on my iPhone. I have even had my phone have issues with overheating. For example I would plug my phone in overnight and wake up to it extremely warm and not even fully charged.

At times my apps will lag till I force close my message app. Not sure what’s going on but believe my phone is stuck like this till Apple sorts it out. Very annoying

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
My Messages aren't syncing at all. I've started from the beginning - don't care about losing all messages - and no conversations are showing up under my iCloud Storage and they aren't syncing to my Mac.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Anyone else have any updates on this? I enabled this on my iPhone and saw "Downloading Messages from iCloud" on the bottom of messages for a while, with nothing happening. Turned it on for my MBP and it "downloaded" fine, then uploaded, but they aren't in sync at all, my Mac is missing a ton of messages from the last day. I'm actually worse off then I was without it turned on.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Anyone else have any updates on this? I enabled this on my iPhone and saw "Downloading Messages from iCloud" on the bottom of messages for a while, with nothing happening. Turned it on for my MBP and it "downloaded" fine, then uploaded, but they aren't in sync at all, my Mac is missing a ton of messages from the last day. I'm actually worse off then I was without it turned on.

Nope. Same issue myself. Each time I restore my phone, I get a different message restore. Worse than before.

I contacted Apple several times and engineering is working on it. They asked me for numerous information a few times as well. My Mac is 100% correct. My phone, is a **** show. I have turned it off on both my devices and don't plan to turn it back on until it gets fixed (if it ever does). It destroyed my 9 year message history. :(

VL_424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Nope. Same issue myself. Each time I restore my phone, I get a different message restore. Worse than before.

I contacted Apple several times and engineering is working on it. They asked me for numerous information a few times as well. My Mac is 100% correct. My phone, is a **** show. I have turned it off on both my devices and don't plan to turn it back on until it gets fixed (if it ever does). It destroyed my 9 year message history. :(

What is the best way to get a hold of an Apple Engineer? I firmly believe that this update messed up my iPhone X. 75% of the time I wake up the next morning with the phone overheating and not charging fully.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
What is the best way to get a hold of an Apple Engineer? I firmly believe that this update messed up my iPhone X. 75% of the time I wake up the next morning with the phone overheating and not charging fully.
Know one. Second best way is through Apple support. It’s slow, but they can get stuff back to engineering.

gt2416

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
This is still broken on 10.3.5. Sigh.... Installed FRESH Mojave beta and it behaves the same. Stuck on downloading from icloud
On my ipad it worked instantly. Some mac bug I guess. On my ipad as soon as i turned on the switch and went back to the messages app ALL my messages were there. No idea why its so broken on Mac

cedricm

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2017
Copenhagen - DK
Very strange that story... Same issue here and can't find what's wrong. Even tried to setup Messages in iCloud with a clean database : no message, I erased every text messages on my devices (iPhone, iPad and MBAir) so I thought the sync would be quick but no, something is stuck somewhere.
And curious : as soon as I check ' enable Messages in iCloud ', Messages is using 30MB of my iCloud storage : it's big for a database with 0 text message. I turned off the sync, let's wait for 30 days and will try again, maybe this ' corrupted ' file will be permanently deleted...

gt2416

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
Lets wait 30 days ? lol email apple and tell them to delete it for you. They will probably help you.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Lets wait 30 days ? lol email apple and tell them to delete it for you. They will probably help you.
As of about a week ago when I tried just that, they do not have any method to do so. They said they were looking at putting a delete now button for the future like how the iCloud Photo Library trash works but it doesn’t exist now and likely won’t until some later version of iOS 12.

hendrilei

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I tried to delete my text message from my iphone, and it deleted as well on my mac (only takes few seconds)

But when I tried to delete text message from my mac, it’s not deleted on my iphone. Anyone experienced the same ?

Also, I tried to send text message to my phone (from my friend’s number), but i didn’t showed on my mac. Anyone has the same issue ?

(I tried mainly text messages since i don’t use imessage)

Thanks

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Very strange that story... Same issue here and can't find what's wrong. Even tried to setup Messages in iCloud with a clean database : no message, I erased every text messages on my devices (iPhone, iPad and MBAir) so I thought the sync would be quick but no, something is stuck somewhere.
And curious : as soon as I check ' enable Messages in iCloud ', Messages is using 30MB of my iCloud storage : it's big for a database with 0 text message. I turned off the sync, let's wait for 30 days and will try again, maybe this ' corrupted ' file will be permanently deleted...

There is other stuff that was concealed in the iCloud Backup prior to Messages being moved into iCloud separately. For example the group name auto fill when you are typing in a new message, security stuff, cached data from individual devices, handoff data and other random info specific to your devices.

If you delete all your messages on all your devices you intended on using with Messages in iCloud then goto Settings > General > iPhone/iPad Storage make sure conversations, photos, videos, GIFs and Stickers and Other are all "Zero KB". However you'll likely notice there is cached data in the app its self next to Documents & Data, some of that info is going to transfer to your iCloud.

Once you disable and delete the messages should download to your device (if there is any), and messages will go back to being saved in iCloud Backups. At this point Messages in iCloud settings should read Zero. If you turn it back on (not undo disable and delete just use the toggle) data is coming from the iOS device to iCloud.

Mine is 15.6 MB with no messages on any of my devices. It was only 6.6 before I turned on my other devices.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I’m having fits with this as well. About a week ago I updated both my iPhone and iPad to iOS 11.4 and enabled Messages in iCloud on both devices. Everything appeared to work fine and both devices synced perfect.

Then yesterday I had a Genius Bar appointment about some issues I was having with my iPad screen responsiveness. The tech suggested erasing the iPad and restoring it from an iCloud backup. So I did this once I got home.

Everything restored properly, except for Messages. For some odd reason, I have everything from the beginning of time until May 12th of this year, and then I have all messages that came in from the day last week when I enabled Messages in iCloud until today. But from May 13th until last week, all those messages are missing from my iPad and after leaving the iPad plugged in and connected to WiFi for a full day, none of the missing messages have downloaded.

I do have one question.... I see above some people referring to progress bars showing the downloading of messages. Where exactly on my iPad would I see such a progress bar? When I open messages I don’t see any progress bar anywhere.

For now I’ve just turned off Messages in iCloud on both my iPhone and iPad. My iPhone currently contains my complete set of messages, so hopefully at some point I can re-enable Messages in iCloud and fix this mess. I did call Apple tech support and they were of no help. Their suggestion was to try restoring my iPad from an earlier backup. But if Messages in iCloud is storing the messages in iCloud, then they wouldn’t also be stored in the device backup, would they? The tech seemed unsure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.