Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lebodano

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
I’m having fits with this as well. About a week ago I updated both my iPhone and iPad to iOS 11.4 and enabled Messages in iCloud on both devices. Everything appeared to work fine and both devices synced perfect.

Then yesterday I had a Genius Bar appointment about some issues I was having with my iPad screen responsiveness. The tech suggested erasing the iPad and restoring it from an iCloud backup. So I did this once I got home.

Everything restored properly, except for Messages. For some odd reason, I have everything from the beginning of time until May 12th of this year, and then I have all messages that came in from the day last week when I enabled Messages in iCloud until today. But from May 13th until last week, all those messages are missing from my iPad and after leaving the iPad plugged in and connected to WiFi for a full day, none of the missing messages have downloaded.

I do have one question.... I see above some people referring to progress bars showing the downloading of messages. Where exactly on my iPad would I see such a progress bar? When I open messages I don’t see any progress bar anywhere.

For now I’ve just turned off Messages in iCloud on both my iPhone and iPad. My iPhone currently contains my complete set of messages, so hopefully at some point I can re-enable Messages in iCloud and fix this mess. I did call Apple tech support and they were of no help. Their suggestion was to try restoring my iPad from an earlier backup. But if Messages in iCloud is storing the messages in iCloud, then they wouldn’t also be stored in the device backup, would they? The tech seemed unsure.

Did you figure this out? I just did a reset on my wife's I phone and no messages after May 12 are showing. The weird part is, the time for the last message received or sent is updated when you first go into messages but the messages are missing from 5/13 onward.. .

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
Did you figure this out? I just did a reset on my wife's I phone and no messages after May 12 are showing. The weird part is, the time for the last message received or sent is updated when you first go into messages but the messages are missing from 5/13 onward.. .

Yes, that is the same issue that I had. And no, I never tried turning on messages in iCloud after that issue I had before. I’m just afraid I’m going to lose the one good set of messages I still have on my iPhone. I’ve been thinking maybe after iOS12 come out I’ll try enabling it again. I wish there was some sort of acknowledgement of this issue from somewhere, so at least I could know if this issue has been fixed, because right now I’m reluctant to do anything until I hear that something has been updated or changed. Trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is not something I’m prepared to do.

chickenmuffin

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
My computer was not syncing and "downloading messages" for weeks. I created an account to share the solution I found today because there was nothing online.

Go > (option) Library > Preferences

Place any .plist files related to imessage or icloud on your desktop. Do a "hard move" by holding down command as you do this. Then log out and log in again to refresh plist files.

This solved the problem for me immediately! Hope this helps everyone!

Chrisimilie

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
For people who have updated or have had the beta version of Messages on iCloud, does this normally take a long time the first time it is activated? Been stuck on "Downloading Messages from iCloud..." with zero progress on progress bar, going on about 90 minutes. It's currently making my texts lag and appear out of order.

BlIZfG5.jpg
[doublepost=1545979512][/doublepost]Currently dealing with this now. Any advice or solutions? Did ur messages eventually come back? #SOS

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
[doublepost=1545979512][/doublepost]Currently dealing with this now. Any advice or solutions? Did ur messages eventually come back? #SOS

Best thing to do is make sure you’re on latest version of iOS and that you let your phone sync overnight while charging and on a strong WiFi connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.