Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
i recently improved my dual processor folding setup scripts. i put them on my iDisk at:

http://homepage.mac.com/mc68k

The device image comes with a readme. if you have any further questions/comments/improvements, feel free to post them. hope this gives some of you a reason to get that second processor going for the team. :)

thx

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Dual Processor scripts are here

Originally posted by mc68k
i recently improved my dual processor folding setup scripts. i put them on my iDisk at:

The device image comes with a readme. if you have any further questions/comments/improvements, feel free to post them. hope this gives some of you a reason to get that second processor going for the team. :)

thx

I'm sure many will bless you for this.

Too bad I have a normal iMac. :(

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Dual Processor scripts are here

thx

Nice! I'm glad you're getting things together since I'm so bad in making my scripts usable by the general public.

i've been working in my (very) spare time to make a graphical progress monitor in Java. Since I'm taking a Java class, it makes it all the more worthwhile.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Re: Dual Processor scripts are here

Originally posted by bousozoku
Nice! I'm glad you're getting things together since I'm so bad in making my scripts usable by the general public.

i've been working in my (very) spare time to make a graphical progress monitor in Java. Since I'm taking a Java class, it makes it all the more worthwhile.
yeah, i know you know some programming so if u have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. the script thing is temporary, since people like doing GUI things more.

i'm really glad u want 2 make a GUI app. i think that would be much more widely useable and require less documentation. i took some java, but i'd rather program in objective-c if i'm motivated enough. keep up the work, man.

i just did some aliased tail commands in the meantime for progress monitoring.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
mc68k. I have downloaded your scripts because I have a second Ghz chip doing nothing. One quick question. It wont go and delete my current unit will it? Before I run this I want to check this up since I have been cruching my current unit for abour 3 days now + am some way off finishing it.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
It wont go and delete my current unit will it? Before I run this I want to check this up since I have been cruching my current unit for abour 3 days now + am some way off finishing it.
no, i was considering making this a y/n option in the script, but for the time being i just left it alone. your current work is probably in the default location ~/Library/Folding@home.

u can delete this folder once your current WU is complete. thanks for taking an interest in my script. makes me happy to see it getting some use around here. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Re: Re: Dual Processor scripts are here

yeah, i know you know some programming so if u have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. the script thing is temporary, since people like doing GUI things more.

i'm really glad u want 2 make a GUI app. i think that would be much more widely useable and require less documentation. i took some java, but i'd rather program in objective-c if i'm motivated enough. keep up the work, man.

i just did some aliased tail commands in the meantime for progress monitoring.

I was hoping that 19 years would be some programming. :D Someday, I'll be good at it. When I get a chance, I'll look at your scripts. I may be able to merge some of my documentation with them. I was also working on self-editing scripts, though this may have been too ambitious. :D

I'm working on it, but Java has an atypical way of dealing with strings. I'm essentially doing my grep scripts in Java. I should always remember how to make this work. Now, if Java v. 1.4.1 was available on Macintosh, I could use the pattern-matching, but then, I have to learn perl pattern-matching. Oh well...onward. :D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I just added my Dual 1ghz MDD PowerMac and my 600mhz iBook to the folding cause...

Let the folding begin! (for me, at least...)

OK, so my dad might not be too keen on letting the G4 run all night, since it's fans are noisy as heck, and it seems to bother him, but it'll run all day, and my iBook will be going when it's not in my backpack!

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I just have to join in and also say thanks to mc68k for this script, it is very nicely done and works flawlessly from what I have seen so far. Thank you.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Nah what (most) of us need it Altevec enabled app.... sure it might take... some time but if we make it we can crush other teams. :D
And then we can make it so only macrumors member can get it or something... comeon mac programmers! :D

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
can someone here program an altivec app? i know nothing about programming...or does stanford have to make it?

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is work being done on altivec support for folding@home via the GROMACS project.

I read about it in the folding@home discussions boards. The catch is that points are determined by processor time, so there won't be a points increase.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe if you use -advmethods it will download new cores (where altivec supports lies) when they become available.

Here is the link to the folding@home site about GROMACS
http://folding.stanford.edu/gromacs.html

I'm a little shaky on the implementation, but I belive it will be incorporated when it is ready by the folding people.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
a DP mac is as good as 2 machines from emperical evidence and observation. i saw a need for a DP script since it's a bitch to set up/explain for non-unix people.

i figured we could get at least 10 more processors with this script. looks like we're getting even more than that! glad it's working for everybody. :)

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
mc68k, I see you have added a SP_script to your iDisk page, what does that help with the single processor machines?

just curious..

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by timbloom
mc68k, I see you have added a SP_script to your iDisk page, what does that help with the single processor machines?

just curious..
yeah i was going to make a thread about it.

it's the same as my DP script, except it does everything for one processor instead of 2. i just made it for ppl who want folding@reboot, commands for starting folding and checking work. as well as the easy setup.

:)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
yeah i was going to make a thread about it.

it's the same as my DP script, except it does everything for one processor instead of 2. i just made it for ppl who want folding@reboot, commands for starting folding and checking work. as well as the easy setup.

:)

Ah this will be perfect with coupled with the Java app that bousozoku is working on right now (atleast for me).

Thank you both for making it about 200% easier. :D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Ok, I don't know if it's just the different projects or what, but my iBook is on it's third work unit, and my DP 1Ghz G4 with 1.25gigs of RAM hasn't finished it's first WU. I checked, and my iBook did more WU's overnight than my G4... I used the DP script on my G4, and not on my iBook. Does the script make a difference in any way? BTW, my iBook is setup so F@H only uses idle processing time...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by G4scott
Ok, I don't know if it's just the different projects or what, but my iBook is on it's third work unit, and my DP 1Ghz G4 with 1.25gigs of RAM hasn't finished it's first WU. I checked, and my iBook did more WU's overnight than my G4... I used the DP script on my G4, and not on my iBook. Does the script make a difference in any way? BTW, my iBook is setup so F@H only uses idle processing time...

It's usually about the protein that you have. If it's one that has a bigger point value, it's going to take longer to complete each work unit. You should look for the work unit http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
... F@H always uses idle processing time... you can't change that i believe...

Anyway some WU (work units) are bigger than others so your iBook may be finishing the smaller like (19 point) units reletivly fast but your PowerMac probably has a larger unit (40...70) or your using the Dual for video and processor heavy stuff and folding is running really slowly. :rolleyes:

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
use the command work on the DP machine and check to see what frame each processor is on. check back in like an hour and see if the numbers for either have increased. if so u are making progress.

and as others have suggested, look up the protein. the more points, the longer it will take to fold.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
i'm going to try to make some ease of use changes in the next week. and maybe a new command or two.

Welnic

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
Santa Barbara CA
mc68k

I like your install scripts. I do have a few suggestions.

If you change the name of the setup script to setup_script.command then it runs if you double click.

If you copy the whole setup directory to ~/setup then it doesn't need to be in a specific place for the install. Just remove it when you are through like you do now. Then you could just run the install from the mounted disk image. You could put an alias to your script in with the setup folder and the readme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.