Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
There were 2 important Volumes, NTFS and Mac journaled.

Is there any way to recover the lost data ?

Any free App does the job ?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
What do you mean by "wiped?" If you mean erased completely, then you're most likely not going to get anything back by any consumer apps, let alone a free one.

Here's the problem; in order to install the app, you have to install an OS. That's a lot of data that's going to get overwritten just to get to the point where you can try to recover anything.

You're best bet is to send it to a data-recovery service and have a professional work on it. It appears, though, that you're short on cash, so this is likely not an option.

You can certainly try some apps, but I don't know of ANY that are free.

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
TestDisk is free and recovers NTFS

TestDisk Step by Step
How To Recover Files Using TestDisk on MacOS

I do not know for Mac Journaled. DiskDrill has a free version, but I think it's crippleware, i.e. limited.

I'm assuming the volumes are not your system disk.

Edit: It looks like testDisk can recover MacOS partitions.

How to recover your data from a dead partition on macOS

Note: You need to install HomeBrew and TestDisk via the Terminal.

I've used TestDisk very successfully to recover files from a formatted SD card. (Word to the wise: Don't assume someone cannot recover photos off an SD card you've formatted and perhaps sent to someone.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
What do you mean by "wiped?" If you mean erased completely, then you're most likely not going to get anything back by any consumer apps, let alone a free one.

Here's the problem; in order to install the app, you have to install an OS. That's a lot of data that's going to get overwritten just to get to the point where you can try to recover anything.

You're best bet is to send it to a data-recovery service and have a professional work on it. It appears, though, that you're short on cash, so this is likely not an option.

You can certainly try some apps, but I don't know of ANY that are free.

TestDisk Step by Step

I do not know for Mac Journaled. DiskDrill has a free version, but I think it's crippleware, i.e. limited.

I've used TestDisk very successfully to recover files from a formatted SD card. (Word to the wise: Don't assume someone cannot recover photos off an SD card you've formatted and perhaps sent to someone.)
Oh my bad, I completely forgot to mention that the HDD is an external USB and not my computer HDD.

It seams that testdisk does work for external HDDs sos may try it.

Any other suggestions is appreciated.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Oh my bad, I completely forgot to mention that the HDD is an external USB and not my computer HDD.

It seams that testdisk does work for external HDDs sos may try it.

Any other suggestions is appreciated.

not to discourage you, but in formatting I believe you wiped out the directory which includes file names. What these programs do is stitch together files.. but without name. Sometimes they get file type right. The result is a lot of files without names. A situation that is ok for a pict Card with relatively few files, but a whole hard drive?

Graham Caracas

Suspended
Jun 24, 2020
Six Toe, MO
I also recommend a recovery pro if it's important data. There obviously isn't a backup, so I think you'd be doing a public service to inform us how this "accident" happened.

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
not to discourage you, but in formatting I believe you wiped out the directory which includes file names. What these programs do is stitch together files.. but without name. Sometimes they get file type right. The result is a lot of files without names. A situation that is ok for a pict Card with relatively few files, but a whole hard drive?
Yes, the file structure will be gone. The objective is to recover files from the formatted drive.

I've found that there is a mixture of files found with original names and file types and numerically named files with file types. The file types are usually accurate. And, the create/modify dates are often correct as well. The file type and dates are perhaps embedded in the file header vs directory structure.

I have a 64GB XQD card that has been formatted in camera perhaps 10 times since 2019. TestDisk found about 800 readable images going back to 2019. Key is if files are over written by new ones. I believe these cards are FAT32 formatted.

I'm curious about NTFS and Mac Journaled recovery. I have some spare USB drives I might format, write to, re-format and see what TestDisk gets back. In any event, don't write to the disk and if there are key files to find, the create/modify dates may help if the filename are lost.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Let me add another caveat. Recovered MP4 and MOV files will most likely be unplayable due to issues with the header.

However, there is a technique with FFMPEG to fix the header if its a issue. (Windows program called recover_mp4_x86.exe + ffmpeg run in a Windows command line)

Reactions: G5isAlive

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? I think it's safe to assume if he had a backup he would not be asking the question.
If the data were important, it would be backed up. Perhaps we'd be talking about how to recover a backup that has a problem. But to not back it up at all? I about died laughing... "important" data but the OP wants a "free" app to recover it.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009

TestDisk Step by Step

Thank you very much.

I successfully recovered my important files.

Also, Thanks for the developers who made TestDisk and the one who made that youtube video.

It took too long to scan my 500GB HDD (about 8hours), But really worth the waiting.
Also the program was too easy but you have to be careful not to press the wrong key.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Thank you very much.

Also, Thanks for the developers who made TestDisk and the one who made that youtube video.

It took too long to scan my 500GB HDD (about 8hours), But really worth the waiting.
Also the program was too easy but you have to be careful not to press the wrong key.

Great. Glad it worked out for you. Enquiring minds want to know, did you have a back up of these important files, and if not, are you investing in one now?

Reactions: Tagbert

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Great. Glad it worked out for you. Enquiring minds want to know, did you have a back up of these important files, and if not, are you investing in one now?
Why would I do that ?

I mean, These files were the actual backed up files on my external HDD.
And this accident happened at the time I don't have them in my MBP, Bad luck I guess.

And I also have TestDisk to use it again.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Why would I do that ?

I mean, These files were the actual backed up files on my external HDD.
And this accident happened at the time I don't have them in my MBP, Bad luck I guess.

And I also have TestDisk to use it again.

By definition sir if you dont have copies of a file, it's not backed up. Even if you call it a back up disk. Why would you have actual backups?

TestDisk won't always work. That is not a solution to backups. What if the disk itself gets corrupted?

Seriously, don't try to rationalize not having backups. Accept the risk if you want, but you won't get much sympathy for that.

Reactions: Tagbert

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
By definition sir if you dont have copies of a file, it's not backed up. Even if you call it a back up disk. Why would you have actual backups?

TestDisk won't always work. That is not a solution to backups. What if the disk itself gets corrupted?

Seriously, don't try to rationalize not having backups. Accept the risk if you want, but you won't get much sympathy for that.
So you are saying everyone should have at least 2 external HDD for backups ? That's for work files.

Well, I will admit it that these 'important' files aren't life enders or something, They were old pictures.

I was originally planning to move on and forget what happens. But when I saw about TestDisk I thought I should try it and learn about these programs.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
So you are saying everyone should have at least 2 external HDD for backups ? That's for work files.

Well, I will admit it that these 'important' files aren't life enders or something, They were old pictures.

I was originally planning to move on and forget what happens. But when I saw about TestDisk I thought I should try it and learn about these programs.
Ot just use iCloud photos & Time Machine, w/ Carbon copy cloner in there for good measure!

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Thank you very much.

You're welcome. Good way to learn some new skills.

While as others have said, it's a good statement for backups. But, things happen. Especially for thumb drives and SD, XQD and CFExpress cards. Those devices often have images you never want to lose which may not as yet made it into you're backup system.

I take it TestDisk worked for both NTFS and Mac Journaled? Really good to know.

Waleed, might I ask where you live? Absolutely no need to reply.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

External hard drives are relatively cheap. you could get one and turn on Time Machine for it. it would then automatically make backup copies of all of your files. Make sure that your other external data disk is include in the backups. This is cheap insurance against data loss.

If you only have one copy of a file then it is not backed up and has no protection against data loss.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

You should always have at least 3 copies of important files stored in difference places (eg. external drives, cloud, etc).

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
You should always have at least 3 copies of important files stored in difference places (eg. external drives, cloud, etc).
It’s down to risk level and what you value, not compulsory. Even a single backup copy is better than none. Two (provided not in same place) can be quite adequate for most needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.