Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It’s on sale at Steam for $40. I leaped. I’m impressed so far with the graphics but having some issues. Anyone playing this?
  • The Controls primarily designed for console require some getting used to.
  • Where are the quests listed in game? I can’t find them… 🤔
  • I don’t like the auto-save arrangement and no pausing, unless you are in a rest (Grace) zone.

I’m in the starter level, I clear a ruin, the dogs have killed me several times, but I finally clear them out, there is a small dungeon underground down a ramp, I kill the large rats, find a room, open the chest and Holy Smokes I’m snared in a teleport spell and whisked into a nightmare landscape, Selina Crystal Tunnel full of monsters. After several attempts dieing, I make it out of the tunnel into a Selina Sorcery Town on the other side of the map, which is just as dangerous. Finally make it out of there by sneaking around, across roof tops to avoid the invisible mobs, and finally figure out how to fast travel back to the starter zone. So this is how this game roles. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
  • Where are the quests listed in game? I can’t find them… 🤔

That's the neat part: They aren't listed.

It's on you to keep track of quests. This isn't like normal RPGs. FromSoftware's Soulsborne games don't hold your hand. You have to explore on your own at your own pace, the game isn't just gonna tell you where every nook and cranny is.

• I don’t like the auto-save arrangement and no pausing, unless you are in a rest (Grace) zone.

That is by design. Much like quests not being listed, Soulsborne games got their fame for being challenging and punishing but fair in their punishment. You have to always be aware, especially since there's a multiplayer aspect where someone can invade you at any time. It has been like this since Demon Souls in 2009

I’m in the starter level, I clear a ruin, the dogs have killed me several times, but I finally clear them out, there is a small dungeon underground down a ramp, I kill the large rats, find a room, open the chest and Holy Smokes I’m snared in a teleport spell and whisked into a nightmare landscape, Selina Crystal Tunnel full of monsters. After several attempts dieing, I make it out of the tunnel into a Selina Sorcery Town on the other side of the map, which is just as dangerous. Finally make it out of there by sneaking around, across roof tops to avoid the invisible mobs, and finally figure out how to fast travel back to the starter zone. So this is how this game roles. 🤔​

I'm gonna guess this is your first Soulsborne game from your anecdote. If this is, honestly I'd recommend you start on the Demon Souls remake or Dark Souls 3 to get accustomed to the Soulsborne genre, because this genre is a sick wake up call to casuals like y'all.

Last edited:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
As a veteran Souldborne player who has helped her wife get into the games, let me give you a few tips.

1. figure our what kind of play style/role you're looking for; melee, caster, etc.
2. look up Build Guides online, this will help you figure out where to put skill points and what elements to focus on.
3. One of the most important, take it slow. You will get the hang of stuff, like rolling, parrying, etc.
4. Don't be afraid to use Ashes, or to invite other players to help with bosses.

Bonus tip, follow Vaati Vidya on YouTube he's an amazing creator that has lore, tips, and just general Soulsbourne content.

Good luck, and honestly, don't be upset if you don't get it. Games should be fun, and not stressful.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's the neat part: They aren't listed.

It's on you to keep track of quests. This isn't like normal RPGs. FromSoftware's Soulsborne games don't hold your hand. You have to explore on your own at your own pace, the game isn't just gonna tell you where every nook and cranny is.

That is by design. Much like quests not being listed, Soulsborne games got their fame for being challenging and punishing but fair in their punishment. You have to always be aware, especially since there's a multiplayer aspect where someone can invade you at any time. It has been like this since Demon Souls in 2009

I'm gonna guess this is your first Soulsborne game from your anecdote. If this is, honestly I'd recommend you start on the Demon Souls remake or Dark Souls 3 to get accustomed to the Soulsborne genre, because this genre is a sick wake up call to casuals like y'all.

No, I'm not going to go play another game to get used to this one. :) I'll use a mod that includes a Quest tracker and another one that allows me to teleport in an NPC as a companion. Combat is a bit difficult, but I'm getting used to it. And I maybe a "casual", but that is a preference. It does not mean I'm lacking in skills, it means that I am not hard core by choice and will do what I can do until it reaches a point of not being fun anymore. Hell, if I can find a mod that gives me access to the game console, I'll most likely give myself some items. I'm not proving myself to anyone, I'm entertaining myself. Some players might just love the idea of searching the map for several hours looking for something vague, but I bet most don't.

The idea that there is not quest log is just stupid, in my opinion. It would be a simple curtesy to put up a log, so the player can go back and reference what was said, even if what is said is vague. As I've said, sure be vague. I'll go look around, but I'll also find an online guide for that quest, because this is a game. What I would do in real life to solve a life or death situation would be completely different than wanting to explore every part of the map to complete a quest here. It's the same reason why I refuse to chop down a thousand trees to build a fort. I know I can chop trees, that is not why I am playing.

But I also take @skottichan's advice and take it slow. This is more or less what I've been doing in Grounded. It does take a certain mindset to enjoy this environment which I have been able to do in Grounded, but it does mark an area where an item will be found. That's better use of my time. But hell I might even decide I like looking around as a method just to enjoy what I might discover, even if it does kill me. :D

As a veteran Souldborne player who has helped her wife get into the games, let me give you a few tips.

1. figure our what kind of play style/role you're looking for; melee, caster, etc.
2. look up Build Guides online, this will help you figure out where to put skill points and what elements to focus on.
3. One of the most important, take it slow. You will get the hang of stuff, like rolling, parrying, etc.
4. Don't be afraid to use Ashes, or to invite other players to help with bosses.

Bonus tip, follow Vaati Vidya on YouTube he's an amazing creator that has lore, tips, and just general Soulsbourne content.

Good luck, and honestly, don't be upset if you don't get it. Games should be fun, and not stressful.
Thanks! I predict that if anything kills the game for me it will be unbeatable bosses, especially if a boss must be defeated to continue the story. I've dealt with a lot of bosses in my gaming career. I'll just have to see how the bosses are here. Right now I'm playing a warrior and am having scroungy dogs killing me. But I do kill them faster than they kill me. :D What I dislike the most is the auto-save system. I really like to give myself an insurance policy by saving just before I start something challenging. The death system will send me off someplace, maybe a long way away, and I would prefer if I could just snap back to my save.

I've not been in this position where I run out of healing drinks, but I'll assume if you are low on health and out of drinks, you need to just head back to a grace circle and heal yourself up? Will that replenish your healing flasks?

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
No, I'm not going to go play another game to get used to this one. :) I'll use a mod that includes a Quest tracker and another one that allows me to teleport in an NPC as a companion.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

(This is a joke btw I just wanted an excuse to post the copypasta)

The idea that there is not quest log is just stupid, in my opinion. It would be a simple curtesy to put up a log, so the player can go back and reference what was said, even if what is said is vague. As I've said, sure be vague. I'll go look around, but I'll also find an online guide for that quest, because this is a game. What I would do in real life to solve a life or death situation would be completely different than wanting to explore every part of the map to complete a quest here. It's the same reason why I refuse to chop down a thousand trees to build a fort. I know I can chop trees, that is not why I am playing.

FromSoftware didn't put a quest log into Elden Ring because a quest log defeats the point of Elden Ring. Elden Ring was built with complete player freedom in mind, to just get lost and explore the Lands Between. They didn't want a log or quest markers that told you where to go, they wanted you to go out and forge your own path.

You may not like that, but that decision is one of the reasons Elden Ring won Game of the Year last year. In an era where so many games are mindnumbingly easy and hold your hand so much, an open world game that just throws you into the world and trusts you to figure stuff out on your own is a breath of fresh air. A world full of mystery without direction, where you the Tarnished are just left to your own devices, meeting different characters on your own without a quest log telling you to do so.

In fact there's a video that addresses these criticisms, criticisms made not just from you, but senior game developers from PlayStation Studios.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kr0n05K!ngR

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
No, I'm not going to go play another game to get used to this one. :) I'll use a mod that includes a Quest tracker and another one that allows me to teleport in an NPC as a companion. Combat is a bit difficult, but I'm getting used to it. And I maybe a "casual", but that is a preference. It does not mean I'm lacking in skills, it means that I am not hard core by choice and will do what I can do until it reaches a point of not being fun anymore. Hell, if I can find a mod that gives me access to the game console, I'll most likely give myself some items. I'm not proving myself to anyone, I'm entertaining myself. Some players might just love the idea of searching the map for several hours looking for something vague, but I bet most don't.

But I also take @skottichan's advice and take it slow. This is more or less what I've been doing in Grounded. It does take a certain mindset to enjoy this environment which I have been able to do in Grounded, but it does mark an area where an item will be found. That's better use of my time. But hell I might even decide I like looking around as a method just to enjoy what I might discover, even if it does kill me. :D

Thanks! I predict that if anything kills the game for me it will be unbeatable bosses, especially if a boss must be defeated to continue the story. I've dealt with a lot of bosses in my gaming career. I'll just have to see how the bosses are here. Right now I'm playing a warrior and am having scroungy dogs killing me. But I do kill them faster than they kill me. :D What I dislike the most is the auto-save system. I really like to give myself an insurance policy by saving just before I start something challenging. The death system will send me off someplace, maybe a long way away, and I would prefer if I could just snap back to my save.

I've not been in this position where I run out of healing drinks, but I'll assume if you are low on health and out of drinks, you need to just head back to a grace circle and heal yourself up? Will that replenish your healing flasks?
As hard as they seem, the bosses are killable. Like I suggested before, if you can't get into the right rhythm and they just keep beating you, just call for help from a Spirit Ash, or summon another player.

So, fortunately the death/fight/death cycle isn't that evil. When you die, you should go back to the last Site of Grace you interacted with.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

(This is a joke btw I just wanted an excuse to post the copypasta)

FromSoftware didn't put a quest log into Elden Ring because a quest log defeats the point of Elden Ring. Elden Ring was built with complete player freedom in mind, to just get lost and explore the Lands Between. They didn't want a log or quest markers that told you where to go, they wanted you to go out and forge your own path.

You may not like that, but that decision is one of the reasons Elden Ring won Game of the Year last year. In an era where so many games are mindnumbingly easy and hold your hand so much, an open world game that just throws you into the world and trusts you to figure stuff out on your own is a breath of fresh air. A world full of mystery without direction, where you the Tarnished are just left to your own devices, meeting different characters on your own without a quest log telling you to do so.

In fact there's a video that addresses these criticisms, criticisms made not just from you, but senior game developers from PlayStation Studios.

Lol, I appreciate it. :) As I said before, I decide the hoops I enjoy jumping though. When it feels too much like work, then I say no thanks. That just happened with me and Nebulous Fleet Command. AI was kicking my ass and I did not find a way to mitigate it.

Ref Elden Ring, I know what I prefer, a log of what was said. Hell, this isn’t even a demand for a quest log, but that is what I woukd expect to have. Why make the player jump though this hoop? And in no way would such a feature hinders player freedom in the game. And although I disagree with these dev choices, I maintain that the game would be better served if this feature, a simple journal of what was said, was included as a difficulty option.

Que sera sera, I have not given up on the game, I don’t mind have to search the map, but I do mind not having a journal. I will take notes, but I should not have too. And if I can’t get by the bosses solo, I’ll chalk up it up to a poor purchase decision. However, I’m very interested in seeing just how much help a summoned NPC is in a fight. I might even summon a boss (via mod) to help, and I won’t feel guilty in the slightest. :D

While I’m talking about ”cheating”, for perspective, here is another example Fallout 4, I love it to death. At the beginning of the game, I enable a modded 50cal sniper rifle, and a powerful 10mm pistol, and via the consol keep myself supplied with ammo. I hate scrounging for 50cal ammo. And everything else such as perks and armor, I take those as they come and I more or less waltz though the game enjoying every minute of it. That is what it’s all about imo. That said I would not tell anyone what they need to do to enjoy a game, other than maybe offer a solution via mod or consol. Not an accusation. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As hard as they seem, the bosses are killable. Like I suggested before, if you can't get into the right rhythm and they just keep beating you, just call for help from a Spirit Ash, or summon another player.

So, fortunately the death/fight/death cycle isn't that evil. When you die, you should go back to the last Site of Grace you interacted with.
I’ve seen attack patterns before and can work them, have used them in the past with success. In Elden Ring, I’m still getting used to controls, which seem difficult and I’ve read articles written about this, just one play session so far. I’m considering a control mod that cleans up game inputs and this is attributed to the game being designed for a console controller, which I do not prefer at all.

Regard the death penalty, I’ve figure that out Grace circle. I’ve learned to always stash runes in my chest at every Grace circle. I’m still grumbling about the lack of a journal. I walked out of the Cave of Knowledge into the Starter Zone to look at a blank map. It’s not so much that the map was blank, but that there was no journal to remind me of the words of wisdom handed down by whomever it was sent me on my way. I can get into the spirit of searching the map, but when I have an interaction with a character, or what amounts to a quest giver, I don’t want to have to take my own notes, when a journal would be simple to provide in this computer game. It’s a hoop I don’t need, but will have to deal with either start taking notes, or download one of the many online Zone guides.🤔

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I’ve seen attack patterns before and can work them, have used them in the past with success. In Elden Ring, I’m still getting used to controls, which seem difficult and I’ve read articles written about this, just one play session so far. I’m considering a control mod that cleans up game inputs and this is attributed to the game being designed for a console controller, which I do not prefer at all.

Regard the death penalty, I’ve figure that out Grace circle. I’ve learned to always stash runes in my chest at every Grace circle. I’m still grumbling about the lack of a journal. I walked out of the Cave of Knowledge into the Starter Zone to look at a blank map. It’s not so much that the map was blank, but that there was no journal to remind me of the words of wisdom handed down by whomever it was sent me on my way. I can get into the spirit of searching the map, but when I have an interaction with a character, or what amounts to a quest giver, I don’t want to have to take my own notes, when a journal would be simple to provide in this computer game. It’s a hoop I don’t need, but will have to deal with either start taking notes, or download one of the many online Zone guides.🤔
Yeah, I totally get the issue with the lack of a quest journal. I've kinda become blind to it since I've been playing since Demon's Souls. If you've played other RPGs, my suggestion is what I give for every RPG, talk to everyone you see, and find guides online.

There is no wrong way to play a game, you do what's best for you. Hopefully you'll grow to enjoy the genre.

Also, I forgot to mention with my original tips, the "optional tip" where I suggested watching lore videos on YouTube. They aren't required, but they will help new players get a handle on how FromSoft tells their stories. A lot of the narrative is in the world, not in text, so it can be confusing.

Reactions: Huntn

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
I love the Soulsborne games as well, though Elden Ring is far from being a favorite for me... I think it's the only one of these games I don't ever want to play again - it was way too long and had way too much re-hashed content for me to care for it much. Of course, a handful of the bosses are super-cool (two of which are completely optional, btw), but overall, I'd rate the game as "far more trouble than it's worth"...

If you want to roll credits, keep these things in mind:
1. You have to really, really try and learn the combat mechanics - the game is unrelenting and will only get more brutal as you go
2. Look online for the best weapons to use so that you don't get discouraged mid-way through (I recommend playing with the Moonveil Katana and a Dex/Int build)
3. Look online as to where to find the best summons and upgrade them soon
4. DO NOT try to find and fight Malenia (I know she is in the trailer, but just forget about it :) )

Cheers!

• Love

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I love the Soulsborne games as well, though Elden Ring is far from being a favorite for me... I think it's the only one of these games I don't ever want to play again - it was way too long and had way too much re-hashed content for me to care for it much. Of course, a handful of the bosses are super-cool (two of which are completely optional, btw), but overall, I'd rate the game as "far more trouble than it's worth"...

1. You have to really, really try and learn the combat mechanics - the game is unrelenting and will only get more brutal as you go
2. Look online for the best weapons to use so that you don't get discouraged mid-way through (I recommend playing with the Moonveil Katana and a Dex/Int build)
4. DO NOT try to find and fight Malenia (I know she is in the trailer, but just forget about it :) )

Cheers!
I found that so weird, Malenia wasn't that hard compared to the other bosses, but Jesus did I struggle with
Tyche and Godfrey's second stage

Reactions: Kr0n05K!ngR

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Cheers!
This may have been a $40 lesson that an RPG especially an award winning RPG is not what you anticipate. Now I know what a “Dark Souls type” game means? 🤔 I’m still looking at it, but honestly I would have gotten a refund if I could have. Currently trying to get mods to work, but in the realm of “mod friendly” games, this is not. Yes Mods work, but the way the game was developed, if you dump a mod into the game folder, it scatters files around, and replaces files, so trying to clean out mods would be a nightmare. It’s reported that a mod installer is a must. I’m looking at ModEngine2.

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
This may have been a $40 lesson that an RPG especially an award winning RPG is not what you anticipate. Now I know what a “Dark Souls type” game means? 🤔 I’m still looking at it, but honestly I would have gotten a refund if I could have. Currently trying to get mods to work, but in the realm of “mod friendly” games, this is not. Yes Mods work, but the way the game was developed, if you dump a mod into the game folder, it scatters files around, and replaces files, so trying to clean out mods would be a nightmare. It’s reported that a mod installer is a must. I’m looking at ModEngine2.
Right, I never really understood why people keep referring to FROM's games as "RPGs"... They're action games first and foremost - they actually got much more in common with games like Devil May Cry than Dragon Age... Beating any Souls game comes down to knowing how to abuse invincibility frames (i.e. rolling at just the right moment to avoid getting hit) and properly managing your stamina pool. If you got that down, you can beat them without ever levelling up (upgrading your weapon is enough). Of course, that's extremely hard to accomplish, but also 100% possible.

In comparison, just try to beat an actual RPG game without ever levelling up... Yeah...

Anyway, I digress. As per your troubles, I think you should ditch trying to mod it and simply find the Moonveil Katana (if you haven't done so already). It's quite overpowered and you can easily finish the game with it (and with a tanky summon on your side, so you can spam the ranged weapon arts in peace). That's the only mod you'll need :)

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The thing is I am used to having my hand held. In The Outer Worlds, I’m doing quests on a space station where I landed in one of it’s bays, and as soon as I walked out my ship, there was a map marker. If instead I was expected to run about this ship looking for the person I needed to talk to, I would not have been happy, but I’ll note that if I had the option to ask around about the person I was looking for then I think that would be ok. The Guard says “ go to the Engineering Section, and then I could find a ship directory showing the engineering section, and once there ask about the person I needed to talk to, this would be ok. :)

Elden Ring just has a large map and it expects you to wander the map. When I restart this game after I finish my current 2 games (The Outer Worlds and Far Cry New Dawn) I’ll give it another try and see how it goes. As I said it, the first attempt, there was an expectation problem. AND I still want a journal that the game generates, so I can review what was said before. I’ll keep notes if I have to, but I would prefer an auto generated journal. 🤔

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Same thing happened to me with the teleporting. The game is actually trolling you. That area is far beyond a beginner level. If you're a magic user there actually is a gravity wand you can grab there before you get the hell out.

You should actually completely ignore the bosses near the starting point and come back later to kill them. It feels great when you're strong enough to do so.

I actually thought I would never play another souls game after finishing Demon's Souls because I hated the user-unfriendly aspects of it. Elden Ring brought me back and I actually loved it.

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
AND I still want a journal that the game generates, so I can review what was said before. I’ll keep notes if I have to, but I would prefer an auto generated journal. 🤔
Worry not about the lore of Elden Ring whilst playing it. Just watch a few VaatiVidya videos afterward and you'll be done

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Honestly this might not be the game for you if that's the case. From Software games are pretty much the opposite of that.

I ended up realizing this about myself a few years back. I like diving into the lore and exploring, and I like the idea of piecing everything together on my own, but I finally had to admit that I'm old. I just don't have the time to do anything but play for an hour here, an hour there. Journals, quest logs, etc...allow me to more easily jump back into the game after being away for awhile.

I've watched YouTube of Elden Ring gameplay and it looks awesome, but ultimately these kinds of games just aren't for me. Whaddya gonna do? :)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I've watched YouTube of Elden Ring gameplay and it looks awesome, but ultimately these kinds of games just aren't for me. Whaddya gonna do? :)
I actually feel like I kind of cheated with Elden Ring. I played the easiest class (mage) and watched a ton of YouTube videos about the game. I would have *never* found some of the hidden areas, summons, etc without doing that. But at the same time I had an absolute blast playing through the entire storyline.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I actually feel like I kind of cheated with Elden Ring. I played the easiest class (mage) and watched a ton of YouTube videos about the game. I would have *never* found some of the hidden areas, summons, etc without doing that. But at the same time I had an absolute blast playing through the entire storyline.
I am going to give Elden Ring another try after I finish one of my current games.

Reactions: MisterSavage

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Tried Bloodborne yet?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am going to give Elden Ring another try after I finish one of my current games.
The game itself looked tempting, ala Skyrim, but as I saw reviews and how its one of those ultra hardcore, difficult games, I passed on it. I'm too much of a casual gamer who just wants to enjoy the experience, story, and immersion in the game

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The game itself looked tempting, ala Skyrim, but as I saw reviews and how its one of those ultra hardcore, difficult games, I passed on it. I'm too much of a casual gamer who just wants to enjoy the experience, story, and immersion in the game
It's not a matter of not wanting to go search for something. In real life there is a lot of unpleasant or challenging things you might do, but in a game, my limits based on entertainment are different. Yes, I can be persuaded to go search an entire zone for something, but it takes a completely different mindset. You definitely can not be in rush mode. I'll report back when I finally get around to playing it and what the results turn out to be. :D
Note: in Grounded, that game had map markers which I appreciated, but I'm finding I've slacked off playing that as too much work. Oh, and Small World, a game similar to Grounded is currently on sale at Steam, and it's getting good reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.