Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
As hard as they seem, the bosses are killable. Like I suggested before, if you can't get into the right rhythm and they just keep beating you, just call for help from a Spirit Ash, or summon another player.

So, fortunately the death/fight/death cycle isn't that evil. When you die, you should go back to the last Site of Grace you interacted with.
Agreed, compared to some of the other soulsborne titles i have played, i have to admit that Elden Ring was the easiest for me.

But from a new player perspective, i can see how this can be intimidating first try. (Still bitter about the patches story, I wonder if they have finished it?)

No, I'm not going to go play another game to get used to this one. :) I'll use a mod that includes a Quest tracker and another one that allows me to teleport in an NPC as a companion. Combat is a bit difficult, but I'm getting used to it. And I maybe a "casual", but that is a preference. It does not mean I'm lacking in skills, it means that I am not hard core by choice and will do what I can do until it reaches a point of not being fun anymore. Hell, if I can find a mod that gives me access to the game console, I'll most likely give myself some items. I'm not proving myself to anyone, I'm entertaining myself. Some players might just love the idea of searching the map for several hours looking for something vague, but I bet most don't.

For sure play you way and the way you enjoy, but what i will say is that if you take Elden ring as it's intended experience, you will be challenged, and can feel why solesborne games are so grate.

Are their other Action RPGs / Metroid Vanias that you may have tried in the past and enjoyed?

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Took me two tries, but i am told by my partner that i over prepared, and this messed the experience up.
I tried Malenia on my own three times (around level 90 Fire/Faith build), got frustrated because I was tired after playing for about 4 hours and summoned another player. Me and this Sorcerer stomped her pretty quickly (Comet Azure is just a beast).

I've gone back and beaten her solo several times and have helped more than a few others beat her. Tho, my favorite fight to assist with is Placidusax.

Reactions: Kr0n05K!ngR

Kr0n05K!ngR

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
I tried Malenia on my own three times (around level 90 Fire/Faith build), got frustrated because I was tired after playing for about 4 hours and summoned another player. Me and this Sorcerer stomped her pretty quickly (Comet Azure is just a beast).

I've gone back and beaten her solo several times and have helped more than a few others beat her. Tho, my favorite fight to assist with is Placidusax.

Yeah Malenia is good fun, my build was a bleed build, dual welding, one hand +25 hemorrhage Falchion, Rivers of blood in the other hand. For the time i was very op, but i know a few months after the games release it was nurfed.

Awesome Rhythm fight (studying how the boss movies and responding), with Placidusax also an awesome fight, again rhythm based.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Agreed, compared to some of the other soulsborne titles i have played, i have to admit that Elden Ring was the easiest for me.

But from a new player perspective, i can see how this can be intimidating first try. (Still bitter about the patches story, I wonder if they have finished it?)

For sure play you way and the way you enjoy, but what i will say is that if you take Elden ring as it's intended experience, you will be challenged, and can feel why solesborne games are so grate.

Are their other Action RPGs / Metroid Vanias that you may have tried in the past and enjoyed?
The lack of a quest journal is basically a deal breaker for me. I don’t want to to have to keep my own journal, I’ve been spoiled for far to long.

I can look at Skyrim, and have a list of 10 active quests, no way I would remember the details of all these quests without a journal. Typically what I do is look at the map to see what quest markers are in an area, look at the quests from a big picture standpoint, and make decisions about which order I’m going to tackle them based on story content.

As I imagine SkyRim without quest markers, it would be much more searching than I want to do. Some quests are given on the Western edge of the map, and the quest location is over in the middle or the opposite side of the map. Only a name of a location is provided, and that’s ok because the quest map marker is provided.

Now without quest map markers, if someone told me to meet them as such and such a dungeon, I’d say, “I don’t know there that is” and expect them to give me some pretty specific directions, not wander for a few months until I stumble upon it. In Elden Ring, ZERO DIRECTION and zero quest journal, in fact you just get some vague talk. Correction at a camp fire, you get a compass pointer. I was like “Wait, what do you want me to do, who do you want me to find?“ This was so confounding, that I even reloaded a previous save because I thought I had missed something.

Now think about trying to navigate a galaxy such as Starfield in the same manner. No Freakimg Way! As I‘ve said on many occasions, in real life, you might spend months chopping down trees to make a stockade, or months traveling on foot North to find a settlement, but this is a game, so my time is better spent focused on quest content, not trying to find the quest.:)

I don’t know, having said that, maybe I’ll try Elden Ring again, but I‘d have to be in the right mind set to do this. I’ll keep my own journal, even though there is not much to keep, the intent is to make me wander the map, just head off in that general direction… and see what I find. Can’t say how long I’ll last. :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
The lack of a quest journal is basically a deal breaker for me. I don’t want to to have to keep my own journal, I’ve been spoiled for far to long.

I can look at Skyrim, and have a list of 10 active quests, no way I would remember the details of all these quests without a journal. Typically what I do is look at the map to see what quest markers are in an area, look at the quests from a big picture standpoint, and make decisions about which order I’m going to tackle them based on story content.

As I imagine SkyRim without quest markers, it would be much more searching than I want to do. Some quests are given on the Western edge of the map, and the quest location is over in the middle or the opposite side of the map. Only a name of a location is provided, and that’s ok because the quest map marker is provided.

Now without quest map markers, if someone told me to meet them as such and such a dungeon, I’d say, “I don’t know there that is” and expect them to give me some pretty specific directions, not wander for a few months until I stumble upon it. In Elden Ring, ZERO DIRECTION and zero quest journal, in fact you just get some vague talk. Correction at a camp fire, you get a compass pointer. I was like “Wait, what do you want me to do, who do you want me to find?“ This was so confounding, that I even reloaded a previous save because I thought I had missed something.

Now think about trying to navigate a galaxy such as Starfield in the same manner. No Freakimg Way! As I‘ve said on many occasions, in real life, you might spend months chopping down trees to make a stockade, or months traveling on foot North to find a settlement, but this is a game, so my time is better spent focused on quest content, not trying to find the quest.:)

I don’t know, having said that, maybe I’ll try Elden Ring again, but I‘d have to be in the right mind set to do this. I’ll keep my own journal, even though there is not much to keep, the intent is to make me wander the map, just head off in that general direction… and see what I find. Can’t say how long I’ll last. :)

i cant explain why i like this game. its awful and evil. realistically, i hate it.

no quest list, but then tbh the main quests are bumble around till you find a castle. realise you are too weak to go there after dying 10 times. wander around the easier bits, grinding money. i dont want to think how many little imps i have killed at greyolls dragonbarrow. in the early days i had to sneak up behind them but the 1000 runes each one gave me was one upgrade. now around level 100 ish i need to kill about 60 of them to get one upgrade. then wander back a few times to the castle, finally realising i can kill everyone. meet a boss, die. wander around a bit til i get more money and stats, go back and kill him. realise theres something i hvaent noticed about what im supposed to be doing in that place, google, cheat, follow google instructions.

realise that there's still lots of things i dont know how to do. google them one at a time, figure it out, add it to my repetoire. ignore the rest for now as i dont want to confuse myself too much.

i hate when my phone rings and i panic as ill die as i cant pause. i hate the way the game throws me into sections that are too high and i die. i hate when i almost kill someone the first time and am one swing away and then the next 20 times i still die. i hate not understanding spells. or incantations. or most things. i hate still not understanding why when i press L1 my sheild changes from green to red and i dont know why. i hate wandering around not knowing what to do next because the only things i have on my mental todo list is 3 bosses that still kill me easily. i hate having 100 weapons but i only use one. i hate grinding. i hate running out of arrows. i hate dying. i hate losing runes when dying and then redying before getting them.

however i am addicted, and i cant stop playing. and when i finally kill a boss i couldnt before, or even learn how to cheat a bit by googling, i feel on cloud 9.

• Wow
Reactions: Homy and Huntn

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
however i am addicted, and i cant stop playing. and when i finally kill a boss i couldnt before, or even learn how to cheat a bit by googling, i feel on cloud 9.
That's how I was too! With ER they got rid of enough things that I didn't like about Souls games to make me interested again. There were several things that I looked up where I thought "I never would have found this on my own".

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i cant explain why i like this game. its awful and evil. realistically, i hate it.

no quest list, but then tbh the main quests are bumble around till you find a castle. realise you are too weak to go there after dying 10 times. wander around the easier bits, grinding money. i dont want to think how many little imps i have killed at greyolls dragonbarrow. in the early days i had to sneak up behind them but the 1000 runes each one gave me was one upgrade. now around level 100 ish i need to kill about 60 of them to get one upgrade. then wander back a few times to the castle, finally realising i can kill everyone. meet a boss, die. wander around a bit til i get more money and stats, go back and kill him. realise theres something i hvaent noticed about what im supposed to be doing in that place, google, cheat, follow google instructions.

realise that there's still lots of things i dont know how to do. google them one at a time, figure it out, add it to my repetoire. ignore the rest for now as i dont want to confuse myself too much.

i hate when my phone rings and i panic as ill die as i cant pause. i hate the way the game throws me into sections that are too high and i die. i hate when i almost kill someone the first time and am one swing away and then the next 20 times i still die. i hate not understanding spells. or incantations. or most things. i hate still not understanding why when i press L1 my sheild changes from green to red and i dont know why. i hate wandering around not knowing what to do next because the only things i have on my mental todo list is 3 bosses that still kill me easily. i hate having 100 weapons but i only use one. i hate grinding. i hate running out of arrows. i hate dying. i hate losing runes when dying and then redying before getting them.

Now that I think about being unable to pause the game, and not being in control of saves, maybe the deal breaker. :) Apparantly they have made a reputation for this environment “souls-like“ but imo they would be smarter to include an easy mode, call it “Sissy Mode” to shame those of us who want to toss $$ their way and delve into their world without paying proper dues. And when the quest giver offers a quest, he throws a parchment with location info on the ground for you to pick up and says “there you go SISSY!” 😅

So as you can tell, I really like an organized quest structure, with quest givers polite enough to give adequate quest location info. :D

Running out of ammo, I’ve been giving myself ammo since I gained access to Bethesda’s console. I’m in a fight, I want to finish the fight, I don’t want to break off a fight to go scrounge for ammo and start over especially for a boss who will return to full health. 😑

Reactions: madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
The game itself looked tempting, ala Skyrim, but as I saw reviews and how its one of those ultra hardcore, difficult games, I passed on it. I'm too much of a casual gamer who just wants to enjoy the experience, story, and immersion in the game

to me, Elden Ring gets the same pass that thai food gets, its fine to cheat and use a shop bought jar or in this case use google.

i am just accepting that i could never play Elden Ring to any enjoyment without cheating and using google as my guide. any othe game like horizon or AC i would only google for solutions/info in an emergency and if i read something that made something easy then i felt dirty. Similarly with shop bought sauces outwith thai.

I honestly am unsure whether a core of 0.01% of Elden Ring players actually discover everything naturally, or if indeed no one does and the makers put stuff out on internet pretending to be that 0.01%.

at the moment im as happy as a pig in poo as ive discovered naturally the rune farming area of Mohgwyns palace. however it was the internet i admit who improved it by telling me the great bit about hitting big bird with an arrow and watching him run off the cliff for 13,000 runes!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
to me, Elden Ring gets the same pass that thai food gets, its fine to cheat and use a shop bought jar or in this case use google.

i am just accepting that i could never play Elden Ring to any enjoyment without cheating and using google as my guide. any othe game like horizon or AC i would only google for solutions/info in an emergency and if i read something that made something easy then i felt dirty. Similarly with shop bought sauces outwith thai.

I honestly am unsure whether a core of 0.01% of Elden Ring players actually discover everything naturally, or if indeed no one does and the makers put stuff out on internet pretending to be that 0.01%.

at the moment im as happy as a pig in poo as ive discovered naturally the rune farming area of Mohgwyns palace. however it was the internet i admit who improved it by telling me the great bit about hitting big bird with an arrow and watching him run off the cliff for 13,000 runes!

This is me, I believe a lot of us. The developer sets up a framework and the players decide just how much of that framework they want to follow to be entertained.

My enjoyment is based on pursuing the story, discovery, but not having to spend too much time searching for an objective, accidental discoveries are always appreciated, finding better gear by looting adversaries I have dispatched, surviving tactical situations, and increasing my skills along the way. I up my carry weight so I can carry valuable gear for resale, which helps greatly with the finances. I tend to give myself ammo, because I don’t want to have to go find a vendor to buy more in the middle of a fight, and I honestly look to taking on bosses without cheating to specifically beat them. :) I don’t use God mode as a rule. I had Skyrim glitch on me playing with mods and I had to roll back before a dungeon I had just completed, and I did use God mode to zip though that part. 😚

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Same. Some of the side quests and areas that I ended up enjoying I never would have found in one million years on my own. That's not to say that I didn't make some cool discoveries on my own.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Same. Some of the side quests and areas that I ended up enjoying I never would have found in one million years on my own. That's not to say that I didn't make some cool discoveries on my own.

i met a guy with a prawn shack. Big Bollard or something. he's just rude to me when i try and speak to him. i googled and it turns out that because in this wide free to roam world, id spoken to someone else before speaking to him, that was enough for his whole side quest to vanish. bit annoying.

i keep finding its a circle, i keep coming back to the same situations no matter my level. i will have explored everything i can find now. i will have 3 or 4 bosses, maybe big castle ones, maybe cave ones, that kill me almost instantly, and i will be grinding runes to level up. at some stage of doing that i will be able to kill some of the bosses and that will get me on further, to lands i can explore before reaching other bosses i can't beat, and the circles go on. i should hate this... addicted...

the excitement when you figure something out, it might be finding a new area, or just realising something mid game that you should really have figured out in the first 5 mins. the latter, for me, was trying 'lock on' early on, finding it made it harder to run away from people, and never using it again. then trying throwing everything from pots to knives and finding it impossible to hit anyone. finally level 120 realising if you lock on you can throw it easily at them.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
i met a guy with a prawn shack. Big Bollard or something. he's just rude to me when i try and speak to him. i googled and it turns out that because in this wide free to roam world, id spoken to someone else before speaking to him, that was enough for his whole side quest to vanish. bit annoying.
prawn shack guy was one of the things I saw in a "things you probably missed" video and was able to go back and complete his quest. I didn't even find his shack, much less his quests on my own. :D

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
not sure if i feel guilty with myself, but getting to the end of the game and despite being pretty over powered at level 217, finding the last few bosses impossible.

tried Malenia about 20 times on my own, and with spirit ashes. weird thing is one of the earliest tries i got the closest, after that no where near it. the worst thing was the first time i got it to half time and of course i thought id killed it. and then she comes back....

so then the other night i tried using fingers to find other players to help. and even then tbh there were lots of people wanting to coop but they were as bad as i was. then one guy did most of the work to get to the half way point, and then died and i died....

i hadnt realised until i saw a comment on a forum about having friends (plural). i thought i could only add one other player. so i added two, went into the room and to be honest i just stayed out of it. i threw darts at malenia just so i could feel id contributed, but mainly i just ran to the furthest point and let the two of them do the dirty work.

and then id tried a dozen times to kill the dark knight up from the great bridge, and i saw a summoning sign, so i let someone else come in and again i put my feet up and watched. okay i swung a few swords but not really.

now that ive broken that duck i have to be careful not to just cheat everything else. i have maliketh to beat and ill try him another half a dozen times minimum before i get a coop helper.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
not sure if i feel guilty with myself, but getting to the end of the game and despite being pretty over powered at level 217, finding the last few bosses impossible.

tried Malenia about 20 times on my own, and with spirit ashes. weird thing is one of the earliest tries i got the closest, after that no where near it. the worst thing was the first time i got it to half time and of course i thought id killed it. and then she comes back....

so then the other night i tried using fingers to find other players to help. and even then tbh there were lots of people wanting to coop but they were as bad as i was. then one guy did most of the work to get to the half way point, and then died and i died....

i hadnt realised until i saw a comment on a forum about having friends (plural). i thought i could only add one other player. so i added two, went into the room and to be honest i just stayed out of it. i threw darts at malenia just so i could feel id contributed, but mainly i just ran to the furthest point and let the two of them do the dirty work.

and then id tried a dozen times to kill the dark knight up from the great bridge, and i saw a summoning sign, so i let someone else come in and again i put my feet up and watched. okay i swung a few swords but not really.

now that ive broken that duck i have to be careful not to just cheat everything else. i have maliketh to beat and ill try him another half a dozen times minimum before i get a coop helper.
Lol, that's how I finished the original Demon's Souls and I had zero regrets!

I finished the main story of the game but I just could not beat Malenia. One time I had summoned someone to help but I was the one that ended up dying when I think we were close to victory. I was a magic user so my armor was not great.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lol, that's how I finished the original Demon's Souls and I had zero regrets!

I finished the main story of the game but I just could not beat Malenia. One time I had summoned someone to help but I was the one that ended up dying when I think we were close to victory. I was a magic user so my armor was not great.
Glad I moved on…. :D

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i keep seeing (sorry reading, im not watching a 3 hour youtube) people doing unusual run throughs, like one hit run throughs, or level one run throughs. i wonder if anyone has ever done a lazy run through without touching a single boss, just allowing others to do all the hard work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.