Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's not bad for such a short distance. If you get a longer jump range you can open up bigger profits - you should look for a bare minimum of 1,000 CR each way, on average. Trading is dull, so you might as well get it out of the way as quickly as possible.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I've found a new activity, but I needed to do all of that trading to make it possible. Currently 4,000 light years from home - I don't know if I'll ever see a space station again...

edit: Here are some of my stats. I was saving for a Python but I just ran out of steam with the trading. It took so long, and at no point could it ever be described as exciting. I've no idea how those Anaconda pilots managed it.

Wow, $33m as I imagine the grinding that took. ;) What are you exploring in? You're right, trading is boring, a means to an end, ie, a bigger ship and despite this I honestly don't know how long I'll participate. Because even when I look at continued bounty hunting, it becomes repetitive, fun but repetitive. There has to be more.

When I compare combat for combat's sake in Elite Dangerous to World of Tanks, the latter wins hands down because of the dynamics of 30 players and varied environments. And while hand flying dog fighting is fun, it feels much more repetitive tham WoT dynamics.

And boy do bounty hunters complain when they have to share a RES with another player. :)

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Wow, $33m as I imagine the grinding that took. ;) What are you exploring in? You're right, trading is boring, a means to an end, ie, a bigger ship and despite this I honestly don't know how long I'll participate. Because even when I look at continued bounty hunting, it becomes repetitive, fun but repetitive. There has to be more.

When I compare combat for combat's sake in Elite Dangerous to World of Tanks, the latter wins hands down because of the dynamics of 30 players and varied environments. And while hand flying dog fighting is fun, it feels much more repetitive tham WoT dynamics.

And boy do bounty hunters complain when they have to share a RES with another player. :)

I'm exploring in an Asp but I had to grind that much money to get it up to a good spec. The basic ship is useless, really. Now it's got a good enough jump range for exploring, a fuel scoop that fills the tanks quickly and the best scanner for discovering planets. Also, it has some meaty weapons (plasma accelerator, missiles, beam laser, turrets), class A thrusters and the biggest shield I could afford, so I'm good for combat when I return. I don't think I'll do trading again.

You can't really compare Elite with World of Tanks, though. WoT is closer to Call of Duty - an arena deathmatch game. They could definitely do something to give Elite's combat a bit of focus but I'm not sure WoT would be a source of inspiration.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm exploring in an Asp but I had to grind that much money to get it up to a good spec. The basic ship is useless, really. Now it's got a good enough jump range for exploring, a fuel scoop that fills the tanks quickly and the best scanner for discovering planets. Also, it has some meaty weapons (plasma accelerator, missiles, beam laser, turrets), class A thrusters and the biggest shield I could afford, so I'm good for combat when I return. I don't think I'll do trading again.

You can't really compare Elite with World of Tanks, though. WoT is closer to Call of Duty - an arena deathmatch game. They could definitely do something to give Elite's combat a bit of focus but I'm not sure WoT would be a source of inspiration.

I assume that means combat?

WoT is a much different game, much more focused strictly on short 15min PVP encounters. I mention it for two reasosn, one it's keeping me engaged and two, something similiar happens on occasion in Eve Online, large PVP encounters between opposing groups of players. In contrast, ED currently is not even party friendly, which I believe is supposed to be fixed in the future. My issue with ED (and Eve) is replacement costs, altough I admit that right now it seems manageable in ED, I'm having problems imagining like what that's like functioning in a $20M ship with $1m replacement costs, because I don't see trading/bounty opportunities expanding proportionally to ship expense. The word is "grind" and how it applies to ED.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I'm going to see how far across the galaxy I can go, with the aim of finding black holes and Earth-like planets. Then if I'm still interested in the game I'll try to return and do some shooting. They might have added more gameplay by that point. I'm definitely not doing any more grinding for credits, though.

You're right about the repair cost - I wouldn't consider fighting another player when it costs 1 million for each death and there's no real reward for scoring a kill. But I suppose it's not really that sort of game.

I think it feels half finished. It lacks purpose and I doubt it will ever become what some of the fans on the official forum expect.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm going to see how far across the galaxy I can go, with the aim of finding black holes and Earth-like planets. Then if I'm still interested in the game I'll try to return and do some shooting. They might have added more gameplay by that point. I'm definitely not doing any more grinding for credits, though.

You're right about the repair cost - I wouldn't consider fighting another player when it costs 1 million for each death and there's no real reward for scoring a kill. But I suppose it's not really that sort of game.

I think it feels half finished. It lacks purpose and I doubt it will ever become what some of the fans on the official forum expect.

Have you seen anything =amazing= , that makes you want to hang out there for a day or two and gaze in awe? ;)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Have you seen anything =amazing= , that makes you want to hang out there for a day or two and gaze in awe? ;)

Not really, because there's always something similar or maybe better in the next system. The black hole I found was really cool but a bit small and not close enough to a star that it could be viewed properly, so I need to find a bigger one. I got too close and took a lot of damage escaping.

I liked this planet - it's a volcanic metal world with rings, illuminated by a massive blue star. Don't know if you can make it out too well in this picture (shame about the lack of photo mode). This is the system with the small black hole, if anyone fancies seeing one of those (it's out towards Barnard's Loop).

Screenshot_0028.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not really, because there's always something similar or maybe better in the next system. The black hole I found was really cool but a bit small and not close enough to a star that it could be viewed properly, so I need to find a bigger one. I got too close and took a lot of damage escaping.

I liked this planet - it's a volcanic metal world with rings, illuminated by a massive blue star. Don't know if you can make it out too well in this picture (shame about the lack of photo mode). This is the system with the small black hole, if anyone fancies seeing one of those (it's out towards Barnard's Loop).

I assume the black hole is dangerous? I can't spot it. I imagine two possibilities, obliteration or being spit out somewhere else in the universe. :)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I assume the black hole is dangerous? I can't spot it. I imagine two possibilities, obliteration or being spit out somewhere else in the universe. :)

If only... They didn't include anything like that, so the black hole behaves exactly the same as a star. If you get too close the computer makes an emergency stop and you'll take some heat damage trying to escape.

I wanted to see the supermassive black hole at the centre of the galaxy (see this video), but I'm 7,600 light years from the nearest station and my canopy has just started to crack. Still about 18,000 light years from the black hole. I'll never make it, I'll have to go back for repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uViCxDy3Gg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If only... They didn't include anything like that, so the black hole behaves exactly the same as a star. If you get too close the computer makes an emergency stop and you'll take some heat damage trying to escape.

I wanted to see the supermassive black hole at the centre of the galaxy (see this video), but I'm 7,600 light years from the nearest station and my canopy has just started to crack. Still about 18,000 light years from the black hole. I'll never make it, I'll have to go back for repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uViCxDy3Gg

How did you suffer damage?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
How did you suffer damage?

Careless fuel scooping. Sometimes I get a bit close to the star, especially if it's a very dense one that kind of sucks you in. I was down to about 70% health already, but this time I went too close to a double star and heard this horrible cracking sound.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Which actually makes sense: at the same distance, you wouldn't notice any difference between a star of 3 solar masses or a black hole of the same mass. (Except for the obvious lack of light, of course.)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Which actually makes sense: at the same distance, you wouldn't notice any difference between a star of 3 solar masses or a black hole of the same mass. (Except for the obvious lack of light, of course.)

It would be nice to have a bit of fantasy, though. Use them as warps to get to the other side of the galaxy, or have alien invaders teleporting through them.

There's plenty of other stuff in the game that's a bit implausible. Apart from the whole cruising (and steering) at 2,000 times light speed thing, getting so close to stars and not being blinded seems strange. I though maybe it was some kind of coating on the windows, but even when those break completely the stars don't get any brighter.

All of this technology in the future but they can't make a navigation system with even 1% of the functionality of Google Maps.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It would be nice to have a bit of fantasy, though. Use them as warps to get to the other side of the galaxy, or have alien invaders teleporting through them.

There's plenty of other stuff in the game that's a bit implausible. Apart from the whole cruising (and steering) at 2,000 times light speed thing, getting so close to stars and not being blinded seems strange. I though maybe it was some kind of coating on the windows, but even when those break completely the stars don't get any brighter.
It's hard sci-fi. Things in the game are surely futuristic, but not physically impossible. Black holes as wormholes are physically impossible, the frame-shift drive not necessarily. And keep in mind that you get automatically outfitted with a face-covering oxygen mask when you canopy blows out.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
It's hard sci-fi. Things in the game are surely futuristic, but not physically impossible. Black holes as wormholes are physically impossible, the frame-shift drive not necessarily. And keep in mind that you get automatically outfitted with a face-covering oxygen mask when you canopy blows out.

Smarter people than me seem to think black holes could be wormholes (arxiv.org/abs/1405.1883). It's no less plausible to me than a warp drive that uses infinite energy.

I think it would make sense from a gameplay point of view. After all, they've constructed a huge galaxy that hardly anyone will ever see (their Facebook page said only 53 people have visited the black hole in the centre, which you'd think would be the number one tourist attraction).

Okay, maybe the anti-glare coating is on some kind of visor or contact lenses. How about getting blown to pieces in the middle of nowhere, then waking up 60 seconds later in a brand new space ship hundreds of light years away?

You can't even contact a space station to see how much they're charging for commodities, but somehow you can be beamed on board one instantly from anywhere in the galaxy.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Smarter people than me seem to think black holes could be wormholes (arxiv.org/abs/1405.1883). It's no less plausible to me than a warp drive that uses infinite energy.
That article theorises that the huge, massive things at the center of galaxies are wormholes instead of black holes, not that black holes are wormholes. And, seriously: one of the authors is called Cosimo Bambi.

Okay, maybe the anti-glare coating is on some kind of visor or contact lenses. How about getting blown to pieces in the middle of nowhere, then waking up 60 seconds later in a brand new space ship hundreds of light years away?

You can't even contact a space station to see how much they're charging for commodities, but somehow you can be beamed on board one instantly from anywhere in the galaxy.
Well, if you prefer a 15+ minute animation of your escape pod travelling back to the last station you visited… I rather suspend my disbelief on that one thing. ;)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
That article theorises that the huge, massive things at the center of galaxies are wormholes instead of black holes, not that black holes are wormholes. And, seriously: one of the authors is called Cosimo Bambi.

Pfff, there are plenty of other articles about black holes as wormholes that weren't written by cartoon animals.

Another implausible / immersion-breaking thing: 1300 years in the future, humanity has expanded to the point where billions of people are separated by interstellar distances.

There must be planets where Earth is just an old legend, unheard from in dozens of generations (after all, they can't even radio a space station to find out about the price of fish). Languages would have evolved, cultures would have changed.

So why does every space station use exactly the same typeface on its walls?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

All of this technology in the future but they can't make a navigation system with even 1% of the functionality of Google Maps.

Along with great strides in technology, the game displays great holes in technology, such as a Galaxy map disconnected from ships systems, most inexcusable is no autopilot, but if you could have A.I. doing your fighting for you, which you surely would in the future, alas that would destroy the primary draw of this games as it stands today.

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Finally caved and bought the Windows version (and a copy of Windows, and a big Flash drive to install it, and a Warthog HOTAS...)

Absolutely love the game! It's immeasurably better having a HOTAS controller, you're just focusing on the in-game world rather than "what's the key for thrust up?" etc. I'm loving just launching and landing, as fast and aggressively as possible.. ditto with the superdrive re-entry.

Not really sure what my plan is.. I travelled to Rotanev to buy the items for the naval progression mission, which in a puny barely-upgraded Sidewinder and no real sense of direction was an achievement in itself! At least that gave me some sense of purpose! I have to admit (and this is probably heresy) dogfighting is probably my least favourite part of the game. Several minutes flying around in circles around someone else, occasionally getting a shot or two on target before their shields to back up. I don't know if that means I suck, or I need to upgrade the ship/weapons more.

Have a TrackIR on order, and think that will add a lot to the game and the dogfighting in particular.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finally caved and bought the Windows version (and a copy of Windows, and a big Flash drive to install it, and a Warthog HOTAS...)

Absolutely love the game! It's immeasurably better having a HOTAS controller, you're just focusing on the in-game world rather than "what's the key for thrust up?" etc. I'm loving just launching and landing, as fast and aggressively as possible.. ditto with the superdrive re-entry.

Not really sure what my plan is.. I travelled to Rotanev to buy the items for the naval progression mission, which in a puny barely-upgraded Sidewinder and no real sense of direction was an achievement in itself! At least that gave me some sense of purpose! I have to admit (and this is probably heresy) dogfighting is probably my least favourite part of the game. Several minutes flying around in circles around someone else, occasionally getting a shot or two on target before their shields to back up. I don't know if that means I suck, or I need to upgrade the ship/weapons more.

Have a TrackIR on order, and think that will add a lot to the game and the dogfighting in particular.

Do you know how to use the scanner for dog fighting? Check out the Quick and Dirty Guide Combat section of the following link- How to fight an AI target. If the target is designated, you always know where the target is, and how to quickly reacquire even when it's behind you. I'd also suggest you run through the combat tutorials multiple times.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1839988/

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Do you know how to use the scanner for dog fighting? Check out the Quick and Dirty Guide Combat section of the following link- How to fight an AI target. If the target is designated, you always know where the target is, and how to quickly reacquire even when it's behind you. I'd also suggest you run through the combat tutorials multiple times.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1839988/

Thanks!

I'm slowly getting better, but still find I'm going around in circles for a bit to get him/her in my sights, then he flashes across in front of me so I have to start all over again. The blue indicator on the throttle isn't visible when I'm turning hard, so I can't see if I'm at the right speed.

I have got the hang of diverting power to engines to help get on his tail quicker, then divert power to weapons while I'm shooting. Eventually he'll turn and shoot back, so divert power to shields, boost past so he doesn't have much time and maybe launch chaff if he has gimballed weapons.

So I can generally avoid being killed, but it takes me ages to get a kill. Last night I did swap one of the (basic level) pulse lasers for a gimballed cannon/multi-cannon, and took down a wanted Hauler in about 15-20 seconds. I don't know if that was a fluke or if the combination of laser & cannon, or the benefit of a gimballed weapon makes that much difference. But that's far more satisfying than a couple of minutes of circling and circling.

I'll have to try turning off Flight Assist as I'd imagine that should enable you to turn far, far faster, but I've just got the handle of the controls and systems now, don't want to jump off another ledge so soon. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks!

I'm slowly getting better, but still find I'm going around in circles for a bit to get him/her in my sights, then he flashes across in front of me so I have to start all over again. The blue indicator on the throttle isn't visible when I'm turning hard, so I can't see if I'm at the right speed.

I have got the hang of diverting power to engines to help get on his tail quicker, then divert power to weapons while I'm shooting. Eventually he'll turn and shoot back, so divert power to shields, boost past so he doesn't have much time and maybe launch chaff if he has gimballed weapons.

So I can generally avoid being killed, but it takes me ages to get a kill. Last night I did swap one of the (basic level) pulse lasers for a gimballed cannon/multi-cannon, and took down a wanted Hauler in about 15-20 seconds. I don't know if that was a fluke or if the combination of laser & cannon, or the benefit of a gimballed weapon makes that much difference. But that's far more satisfying than a couple of minutes of circling and circling.

I'll have to try turning off Flight Assist as I'd imagine that should enable you to turn far, far faster, but I've just got the handle of the controls and systems now, don't want to jump off another ledge so soon. :)

Your welcome. :) On your joystick you need to have up, down, left, right thrust programmed into a four way button and Flight Assist Off on a single press button. Experiment with varying your throttle while turning, these variations can increase the angular rate of change of your nose, pulling back to the target. Practise with an overshoot, when the target is above you out of visual, besides full back stick, try "up" thrust to help push the nose up. There are also situations where you are inside the targets turn where you can use "down" thrust to avoid/minimize overshoot which expands your radius of turn allowing you to slide out onto the targets flight path, but behind them, while pulling your nose back to it.

I've found that while long term use of FA Off leads to instability, brief uses of it can increase turn rate (that's pull rate;)).

I'd like to clarify when you say turning you really mean pulling. :) Any time the target is out of your view, you should turn to align the targets vector/line on your scanner until it is aligned with your nose and then pull to the target. As you get better at keeping one eye on the targets distance and closure rate, ideally in the 500-900 meter range you'll be able to spend more time on their tail more time, shooting them than not.

Gimbaled weapons make a huge amount of difference. although they are less powerful than fixed weapons, by virtue of their functionality, they spend more time on the target shooting it. Ideally you want to use burst lasers to take down shields, and then multi-cannons to rip them up! ;) all of my weapons are gimballed, not because I'm a poor pilot, but because they are more effective, avoiding the convergence issue.

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
That's very interesting and helpful! But also a little confusing. :)

I have a thrust up/down left/right hat switch on the throttle which "slides" the craft in those directions - essential for docking, also very useful when spinning around a platform looking for your docking pad. Do those controls behave differently with Flight Assist off? Can you do VIFFing in Elite? I normally never use those thrusters apart from takeoff/landing/cargo scooping.

With FA off, can I pull back on the stick to pitch up - not pull up, I'm learning! - so I do a 180 and end up flying backwards (and upside down) firing at someone chasing me?

I'm hoping the TrackIR helps too, since the scanner will tell you where the other guy is, but not really what he's doing. If I can look around to some degree and see if he's going left/right etc. then I could anticipate his move - rather than pointing my nose at him only to find he's no longer there. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.