Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I distinctly remember being ignored when bringing this up during the last election cycle, but I was laughed at. Now that it’s in my favor, what should I do?
You could try to be consistent by joining those of us who believe that social media such as twitter and Facebook have been and continue to be harmful to society by promoting propaganda regardless of your political preference. :)

Reactions: smoking monkey

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
6C174271-72E5-4D77-A139-9E74FD8E6EA9.jpeg
CC5A74EE-66D2-448B-8B35-AA8F5220FD7C.jpeg
Is Elon me? Haha

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
If you can't follow the conversation, then there's no point in continuing it. Thanks.
No, you just haven’t stated a clear position on any of it. Cheers.
I never said that it did.
Nice gotcha response but I sense reluctance to state your position, probably because you realize that the bill has been completely mischaracterized and you can’t win the debate on the merits.
There are good, objective journalists all over the place. The Republican party's play, lead by the former president, to discredit the whole industry notwithstanding.

The main problem in journalism is the same problem that you are arguing for on Twitter. Actual journalism has to compete with the ******** and misinformation that Twitter and other websites surface through there engagement algorithms. This has resulted in journalism being packaged alongside the shock-value opinion shows that bring in the viewers/readers.

Sadly, a huge percentage of the country is unable to distinguish between news and opinion. (Also, many have no understanding of statistics and no patience for nuance.)
I agree on some of this— a huge percentage of the country cannot distinguish between opinion, fake news, and fact, whether they read/listen to WaPo, NYTimes, CNN, MSNBCLOL, and yes, sometimes Fox. And shock value opinion has been implemented to boost ratings and to play for social media likes.

However, the main issue seems to be collusion between Big Tech and these very corporate, elitist centers of mostly Leftist thought, silencing or suppressing other opinions and free discussion.

Not really a difference. Calling it a "discussion platform" or town square doesn't change that it's a private platform for various types of content. It's problem isn't too much moderation. It's problem is that it promotes bad information.
It’s problem in the arena of politics is that it’s incredibly biased against one side.

Iwon’t speak to the other areas of the platform since I don’t use them much.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
It’s problem in the arena of politics is that it’s incredibly biased against one side.
When I click on a tweet of a right wing talk show host, I get a "more tweets" section that recommends tweets from Trump Jr, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Kevin Sorbo, Ted Cruz, Jim Jordan, Lauren Boebert, etc.

23 of the 24 recommended tweets are complaints about Biden, or gloating about making libs cry, etc.
One tweet of the 24 is politically neutral, a guy announcing he's going into hospice. So I click to visit his page. The second post on his page is a meme with Elon's face pasted over Hunter's face, pulling the hair of the woman from the screaming Trump protester meme.

So if anything, Twitter is incredibly biased against the "other" side, no matter what side you are on. There are billions of tweets on either side of the US political divide. Even if it happens to be true that Twitter is removing more tweets from one side than the other, it still has an endless supply of political outrage tweets to push on you no matter what your views are.

How are the best ideas going to rise to the top in this free exchange of ideas if these social media sites just recommend content that reinforces your current beliefs?

A social media platform recommending more of what you like may be good in some non-political categories, but probably isn't the best tool to promote dialog between people of different political positions.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
When I click on a tweet of a right wing talk show host, I get a "more tweets" section that recommends tweets from Trump Jr, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Kevin Sorbo, Ted Cruz, Jim Jordan, Lauren Boebert, etc.

23 of the 24 recommended tweets are complaints about Biden, or gloating about making libs cry, etc.
One tweet of the 24 is politically neutral, a guy announcing he's going into hospice. So I click to visit his page. The second post on his page is a meme with Elon's face pasted over Hunter's face, pulling the hair of the woman from the screaming Trump protester meme.

So if anything, Twitter is incredibly biased against the "other" side, no matter what side you are on. There are billions of tweets on either side of the US political divide. Even if it happens to be true that Twitter is removing more tweets from one side than the other, it still has an endless supply of political outrage tweets to push on you no matter what your views are.

How are the best ideas going to rise to the top in this free exchange of ideas if these social media sites just recommend content that reinforces your current beliefs?

A social media platform recommending more of what you like may be good in some non-political categories, but probably isn't the best tool to promote dialog between people of different political positions.
What Twitter has done in the past was suppress *actual* trending hashtags, even replace it with hand picked ones. They (and Facebook) had a period during the election where you essentially got an instant suspension for posting a link or mentioning a topic. With Facebook, the suspensions increased each time, by the third it was 30 days, essentially threatening me not to post anything ‘bad’, because I use Facebook for other business tools, I couldn’t risk it.

There have been times when I see the above as you describes, specifically more recently, but I’ve also seen the exact opposite. Astroturfing exists. Bots exists. And ramping these specific measures during critical dates does exist.

Reactions: dk001

Sf844

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
Just a billionaire making sure discourse in the US doesn't get too tax-happy

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
However, the main issue seems to be collusion between Big Tech and these very corporate, elitist centers of mostly Leftist thought, silencing or suppressing other opinions and free discussion.
That's a perfect example of the problem. You believe that with absolutely no evidence, perspective, objectivity or sense of scale.

For example, despite conservatives being a significant minority in this country, the top performing posts on Facebook are almost always conservative. How is that Big Tech conspiring against conservatives?

And yet you can't provide any metrics to justify that. I think it says a whole lot that every time misinformation is moderated, conservatives feel like they are being discriminated against. Perhaps because they post a disproportionate amount of the misinformation.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
That's a perfect example of the problem. You believe that with absolutely no evidence, perspective, objectivity or sense of scale.

For example, despite conservatives being a significant minority in this country, the top performing posts on Facebook are almost always conservative. How is that Big Tech conspiring against conservatives?

And yet you can't provide any metrics to justify that. I think it says a whole lot that every time misinformation is moderated, conservatives feel like they are being discriminated against. Perhaps because they post a disproportionate amount of the misinformation.
“Being a significant minority” lol. Your talking 75 million vs 80. And that’s assuming ‘Biden’ really got 15 million more votes than Obama. Democrats have a way of screwing things with yellow journalism and far-from-reality adjective's. Trump is the second most voted president, behind Biden.

“Significant minority”

• Haha
Reactions: millerj123

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
“Being a significant minority” lol. Your talking 75 million vs 80. And that’s assuming ‘Biden’ really got 15 million more votes than Obama. Democrats have a way of screwing things with yellow journalism and far-from-reality adjective's. Trump is the second most voted president, behind Biden.

“Significant minority”
Again, I'm not a Democrat. I consider 7 million votes to be significant. Didn't realize that was controversial. Republicans have won the popular vote for president one time in the last 30 years or so.

Reactions: millerj123

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
What Twitter has done in the past was suppress *actual* trending hashtags, even replace it with hand picked ones. They (and Facebook) had a period during the election where you essentially got an instant suspension for posting a link or mentioning a topic. With Facebook, the suspensions increased each time, by the third it was 30 days, essentially threatening me not to post anything ‘bad’, because I use Facebook for other business tools, I couldn’t risk it.

There have been times when I see the above as you describes, specifically more recently, but I’ve also seen the exact opposite. Astroturfing exists. Bots exists. And ramping these specific measures during critical dates does exist.
I think the whole ”trending” thing is stupid. You can’t really just straight up list top hashtags, or you’ll get generic stuff like #art or #sex or whatever. So you have to list the trends that have changed the most. But stuff like that can be abused by brigading... a popular TV or podcast host or Reddit community can have all their listeners/members post something at the same time, so it’s not really an organic thing. Or Elon Musk could tell his followers to use #69420 and instantly create a trend. And once something is in trending, that just produces a feedback loop of causing more people to talk about that topic.
I use a browser plug-in to block the trending panel altogether.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
I laugh at the hypocrisy that is the modern day Democratic Party for actions past, present and (now) future. I am not very clever though. Just clear-eyed.
Everyone is clear-eyed and objective enough to be critical of who they do not vote for. QAnon followers view themselves as objective and clear-eyed. As do the people who defend everything that Apple does.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaldiMac

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Elon Translated: Free speech is free speech... except for the stuff that annoys me... and we're going to use an algorithm to surface speech that I deem more valuable.

The fact that Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter would be completely under control of two billionaires should give anyone pause.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

historically democrat publishers. How clear eyed are these takes, and headlines?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Again, I'm not a Democrat. I consider 7 million votes to be significant. Didn't realize that was controversial. Republicans have won the popular vote for president one time in the last 30 years or so.

Which is an 8% difference (75 vs 81), and in the scheme of the population that can vote(300m). It’s 3% (22% vs 25% of population).
L
For example, despite conservatives being a significant minority in this country,
After 4 years of social media suppression, fake hit pieces (dossier), and a non-stop onslaught of media barrage, the dude still became the second most votes ever for a president, and most ever for an incumbent. Imagine without that?

Interesting non-democrat analysis tho, very independent. I haven’t seen such wordsmith since watching Loki in the Avengers. If you were independent, you’d recognize that half the country is ‘the right’ - whatever your definition of that is

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Which is an 8% difference (75 vs 81), and in the scheme of the population that can vote(300m). It’s 3% (22% vs 25% of population).
There were around 240 million eligible voters in the 2020 election.

After 4 years of social media suppression, fake hit pieces (dossier), and a non-stop onslaught of media barrage, the dude still became the second most votes ever for a president, and most ever for an incumbent. Imagine without that?
This is nothing but partisan opinions supported by selection and confirmation biases.

Interesting non-democrat analysis tho, very independent. I haven’t seen such wordsmith since watching Loki in the Avengers. If you were independent, you’d recognize that half the country is ‘the right’ - whatever your definition of that is
No analysis was presented. It was just a simple fact.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Everyone is clear-eyed and objective enough to be critical of who they do not vote for. QAnon followers view themselves as objective and clear-eyed. As do the people who defend everything that Apple does.
No idea what you are talking about. I did not vote for Elon Musk, and have been very critical of him in the past. I do not follow for QAnon at all, and denounce it. I recognize the hypocrisy of Democrats every time they either gain power or lose it (and even voted for a few). I do not defend everything Apple does -- in fact, I have been quite a vocal critic (i.e., the butterfly keyboard, the touchbar, etc.). Still, I am very clear-eyed. So, net-net, I have no idea what you are saying especially how it relates to my previous comment.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Elon Translated: Free speech is free speech... except for the stuff that annoys me... and we're going to use an algorithm to surface speech that I deem more valuable.

The fact that Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter would be completely under control of two billionaires should give anyone pause.

Free Market above all else, Corporate interests take precedence over worker and consumer protections, First Amendment and free speech do not apply to private businesses, Private businesses can set whatever rules they want, Any attempt to regulate corporations is government overreach by radical left... Until those same corporations take positions or publish books that we don't like.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6LlSRAMWY&list=WL&index=101

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWae2CL97aI&list=WL&index=102

Last edited:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
For example, despite conservatives being a significant minority in this country,

Significant minority based on what? Approximately 29% of registered voters are Republican plus a notable portion of independent and third party registered voters consider themselves "conservative." In each of the presidential elections this century, at least 45% of voters chose the Republican candidate. I wouldn't call any of this a significant minority.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Significant minority based on what? Approximately 29% of registered voters are Republican plus a notable portion of independent and third party registered voters consider themselves "conservative." In each of the presidential elections this century, at least 45% of voters chose the Republican candidate. I wouldn't call any of this a significant minority.
I guess we’re arguing over the word “significant”. The difference is significant enough that republicans have won the popular vote for president once in the last 30 years or so.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Solomani and dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.