Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
We should not need to use Tweetbot to view our tweets or anyone else's in chronological order. Simply that and an edit button will make Twitter better. Getting rid of all of the bots will also do tonnes to improve the service. It feels that 1/3 of all Twitter accounts could be bots at this point—honestly would not surprise me. Twitter conversations also needs a much improved UX. It's terrible right now.

Reactions: Boyyai

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Everyone is projecting - either what they want or what they fear - on Musk. My guess is very little will change and Musk will get bored with running Twitter pretty quick.

To be fair though, Elon has a history on Twitter and of certain behaviors that people are rightfully skeptical of his ability to "discard" and suddenly become an amazing team leader around some of this.

• Haha
Reactions: mhnd and Boyyai

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Twitter poison pill here it comes.

Read the article you cite...

Twitter noted that the rights plan would not prevent the board from accepting an acquisition offer if the board deems it in the best interests of the company and its shareholders.

With the board agreeing to the buyout, the poison pill doesn't go into effect.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
What PR? He has none, nor advertising.
I'll invite you to get acquainted with the meaning of public relations, in his case referring to his public persona and the plethora of "fans" disseminating his own spin.

FD: I own Tesla stock, just being lucid.

Reactions: mhnd

paross

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Kentucky
“Content moderation” is not what Twitter was doing, they were censoring the right because leftists can’t win on merit. The far left is now afraid of what it will look like to have an even playing field because without cheating, they can’t win many logic based debates.

Just a reminder that less content moderation ≠ more free speech.

It just means that the speech of the vulnerable, the harassed, and the targets of hate speech will be silenced, or at least chilled

Elon has a long hill to climb to prove that he now cares about the fair, but perhaps not favorable, views of everyone, particularly as they relate to him and his companies personally.

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
This will be very interesting to watch. I hope he succeeds in making Twitter a better service but realistically I'm very skeptical. Ensuring more free speech (whatever free speech means for Elon Musk) on Twitter internationally is more difficult than traveling to the Mars.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I still think he bought it because he has an axe to grind with the jet tracker guy. Bet Musk will say that the tracker (that uses publicly available info) is not free speech.

He absolutely did just that -- literally that day when the ElonJet guy didn't accept his offer is when he started buying up big sets of shares...and it never stopped

• Haha
Reactions: djstile and mhnd

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
To be fair though, Elon has a history on Twitter and of certain behaviors that people are rightfully skeptical of his ability to "discard" and suddenly become an amazing team leader around some of this.
I’m no Musk cheerleader. In fact I’ll be LMAO when basically nothing changes as Musk gets bored and tired of dealing with it quite quickly. He’s not going to be anyones savior and the issues with Twitter are about a lot more than is it’s content moderation biased.

Reactions: Stratus Fear

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I can't believe a single person can buy a massive social media platform like that. Hopefully Twitter doesn't end up like Facebook.
I wouldn't mind too much if someone bought Facebook and then just completely shut it down. It would have a net positive effect on the world, despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth it'd cause.

Mr. Skeleton

Suspended
Sep 26, 2016
“Content moderation” is not what Twitter was doing, they were censoring the right because leftists can’t win on merit. The far left is now afraid of what it will look like to have an even playing field because without cheating, they can’t win many logic based debates.
Woah buddy, watch it. The mear mention of ‘right’ or ‘left’ will get you BANNED on here. It’s your fault too, not the news curators of this site who should have labeled this politics

Reactions: Boyyai

Saturn007

macrumors 65832
Jul 18, 2010
How is Elon buying twitter a bad thing at all he’s a very respected business man and has a good sense of internet culture

You forgot the /s ! ?

Anyone who thinks that an anti-government, anti-worker, anti-public health, unhinged, pseudo-libertarian billionaire buying a major social media platform is in the best interests of society, the common good, and free speech ignores history, politics, Musk’s biography, and how the power elite operates!

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I’m no Musk cheerleader. In fact I’ll be LMAO when basically nothing changes as Musk gets bored and tired of dealing with it quite quickly. He’s not going to be anyones savior and the issues with Twitter are about a lot more than is it’s content moderation biased.

Taking it private makes this a different deal than ever before though..

Honestly - I hope you're right and he does get bored with it and sells it off..

If he just lets back all the unsavories and mostly takes the shackles off what can be said and how and to who, etc, it will turn into an undesirable cess pool and die off anyhow..

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And yet my Twitter feed is full of ”right” leaning content every day. If Twitter was censoring the “right” they were doing a crappy job of it.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
More free speech means more hate speech, more ”influencers” and more useless nonsense. Want to make society better? I say get to know your neighbors who live close to you. That is what is missing as people stopped living where they grew up about a half century or more ago. No real communities, just virtual ones now. And no, we don’t need an app for that, just a little bit of courage and openness. When was the last time a neighbor knocked on your door for no reason other than to say ”hello, how are you?”.

My cynical take on Musk here, is that he has sold a bunch of Teslas to liberal minded people who care about the environment, but he now realizes that his Starlink connections for rural communities and his cybertrucks require a different buying audience, so he moves to TX and works on his appeal to a different audience. I will give credit to him, though, he is a real pioneer and Tesla/SpaceX/Starlink are moving things forward in astounding ways. I don’t envision how Twitter can be useful or will ever be useful. Maybe he will surprise me but I doubt it in this case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.