Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
What if Elon is buying twitter to teach AI the best of human nature.

Oh boy. Weā€™re in trouble. ?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I think some research into how many people will move to alternative platforms as a result of Musk taking over could be interesting too. Maybe most people are ambivalent about the whole saga but itā€™s something Iā€™m consideringā€¦.
Or no platforms, better yet. This Musk clown car and others are great for those needing a daily fix of chaos to boost their faux outrage levels. Or go for a nice walk with the kids and partner plus other positive pursuits. Choices...

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I think some research into how many people will move to alternative platforms as a result of Musk taking over could be interesting too. Maybe most people are ambivalent about the whole saga but itā€™s something Iā€™m consideringā€¦.
I would also be curious to know how many people will move from alternative platforms to Twitter after itā€™s bought.

Iā€™m not considering getting on Twitter or getting out of Twitter, my last post (and itā€™s like the 5th one) was like 4 years ago. But this show is entertaining.

Reactions: genovelle

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Wonder if heā€™s having cold feet. How does it matter how many accounts are fake? Once he takes over, he can check and change anything he wants. Doesnā€™t seem like a substantial reason to put the deal on hold. Or probably thereā€™s some angle I donā€™t understand.
He excuse could be saying, since the primary way he intended to improve Twitter was developing software to beat the bots and authenticate humans, having only 5 percent fake/bot account currently makes doing so completely irrelevant.

I personally think he is attempting find a way out because he realizes no that people will be jumping ship.

Reactions: desslr

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Wonder if the mindset would be to counter offer for less to save a couple billi ā€œsince your estimations are wrongā€.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Biometric user authentication via Digital ID incoming in 3ā€¦2ā€¦

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Regarding the update on the main page. Even though Musk say's he is still committed to the purchase all this blustering could be a way to try and get Twitter devalued which would give Musk an excuse to pay less for the company.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
elon is all talk and no show. like FSD.
Uh what? Even though I don't like Elon Musk, I'll have to call you out on this one. He heads up several companies, some he founded, and some that have been quite successful.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Looking how the stock value has changed and considering how the value of his stock was the basis of his purchase this was bound to happen hopefully just until the market turns around. I'm sure the deal is structured so as either side was stiffly punished if they used this as reasoning. They have to use something else as an excuse.

And how about the ones that quit their job at Twitter over this. ;)

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Why does this feel like the classic pump and dump scheme? Twitter is currently down almost 13% in after market/pre market trading.
Did you look at Tesla?
His money is based on the value of his stock... neither expects or wants their stocks to plunge as they have.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Cā€™mon he made the offer at 44 bn USD which valued the company at over the stock price, the stock price has nothing to do with the value of the deal. Itā€™s unlikely heā€™ll be able to adjust the value of the deal without good reason, such as there being a lot more false accounts than what Twitter has said.

Reactions: atomic.flip
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.