Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Exactly. One in this case is either pro-Musk, or for full freedom of speech. Anything less is a crock. So it makes one wonder which side of that ledger the Musk supporters in this thread lie.

BL.

It just goes to show that it’s political, the exact same claim the free speech absolutists project onto everyone else. They want to force Musk to make speech and then blatantly ignore that it violates their own stated principles of freedom of speech by compelling speech from others.

Reactions: bradl

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
The first amendment would also include to right to not be compelled to make speech. If Musk doesn't want West on Twitter, the platform he owns, posting swastikas that's his right.

Exactly. One in this case is either pro-Musk, or for full freedom of speech. Anything less is a crock. So it makes one wonder which side of that ledger the Musk supporters in this thread lie.

BL.

The 1st Amendment has nothing to do with what’s going on between Twitter and West.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
What I said was .. like it or not … at least get the fundaments facts right.

I have it right. Per that ruling, it was interpreted as that corporations have the same rights as people, when it comes to freedom of speech and their right to make political contributions. In this case, Twitter is in its right to make its own speech as a company. However, as a private company, it is NOT privy to the 1A when it comes to speech made on its platform, as that platform is owned by that company. Their property, their rules.

Musk can not use the 1A-based freedom of speech right as his basis for allowing whatever speech he wants to have on his platform, while then suppressing speech made based on that same freedom of speech right he is using. He's a hypocrite in doing so, and those supporting him doing this are complicit in that hypocrisy.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The 1st Amendment has nothing to do with what’s going on between Twitter and West.

No. It doesn't. It has to do with Musk's jaded interpretation of "freedom of speech", and him not standing firm in that jaded view of freedom of speech. He can't be for it for everyone, then take it away while talking out of the other side of his mouth. His actions can not be reconciled with his words, and that is the problem.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Even so, Musk still has the right to boot West. End of story.

Exactly. And the fact that he did, while screaming "freedom of speech" and allowing similar people back and posting similar rhetoric is what makes Musk the hypocrite.

BL.

Reactions: eatrains

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
I have it right. Per that ruling, it was interpreted as that corporations have the same rights as people, when it comes to freedom of speech and their right to make political contributions. In this case, Twitter is in its right to make its own speech as a company. However, as a private company, it is NOT privy to the 1A when it comes to speech made on its platform, as that platform is owned by that company. Their property, their rules.

Musk can not use the 1A-based freedom of speech right as his basis for allowing whatever speech he wants to have on his platform, while then suppressing speech made based on that same freedom of speech right he is using. He's a hypocrite in doing so, and those supporting him doing this are complicit in that hypocrisy.

BL.

Not going to bicker with you. Corporations have always been “people” as you said Citizens United made them. You clearly disagree with SCOTUS but at least you know more accurately what you are disagreeing with.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Not going to bicker with you. Corporations have always been “people” as you said Citizens United made them. You clearly disagree with SCOTUS but at least you know more accurately what you are disagreeing with.

And yet you are not understanding the bigger picture of this and Musk is taking that interpretation of "freedom of speech" and trying to apply that to everything on Twitter. His stance on it is duplicitous, because of how he handled West. And still no reconciliation of that issue with his stance: by Musk or any of his supporters. In fact, there has been more avoidance of that issue than anything.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Twitter and West is a different topic that someone’s ignorance over Citizens United.

There never was ignorance over Citizens United; there is, however, naivety over how it is being extended into what Musk wants to do/is doing, and still can't reconcile it with relation to West.

BL.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
And yet you are not understanding the bigger picture of this and Musk is taking that interpretation of "freedom of speech" and trying to apply that to everything on Twitter. His stance on it is duplicitous, because of how he handled West. And still no reconciliation of that issue with his stance: by Musk or any of his supporters. In fact, there has been more avoidance of that issue than anything.

BL.

Actually I understand the big and little picture.

Duplicitous? Is that the word you meant to use?

What problem do you have about Twitter suspending West?

There never was ignorance over Citizens United; there is, however, naivety over how it is being extended into what Musk wants to do/is doing, and still can't reconcile it with relation to West.

There’s no relationship between Citizens United and Twitter with West. That’s another fundamental mistake you are making.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Actually I understand the big and little picture.

Duplicitous? Is that the word you meant to use?

What problem do you have about Twitter suspending West?

I have stated the problem multiple times in this thread. But again:

Musk is saying that he wants "freedom of speech" on Twitter, because of what he perceives to be the suppression of one side's views and viewpoints on the platform. Then in that same vein, he goes on to suspend Kanye West's account for those viewpoints on his platform. One can not cry "freedom of speech" then go on to suppress it in the same vein. It is hypocritical of Musk, and those supporting his actions are complicit in that hypocrisy.

There’s no relationship between Citizens United and Twitter with West. That’s another fundamental mistake you are making.

I didn't say there was one with Twitter and West. You are projecting that. I will repeat what I said, again:

And yet you are talking about a PRIVATE COMPANY, in which thanks to Citizens United, "corporations are people, too!" and are granted their 1A rights. This has nothing to do about "freedom of speech" as Musk has shown complete cognitive dissonance about, but is about what a private company will allow to be shown on their platform. That is NOT freedom of speech.

Twitter is a private company. True. Thanks to Citizens United, Twitter is granted 1A rights. But that has nothing to do with the interpretation of "freedom of speech" that Musk is trying to exude. He has shown a lack of understanding of what "freedom of speech" is, because as owning a private company, he is the final authority. That isn't "freedom of speech", that is more authoritarianism. And even in the name of his "freedom of speech", he suppresses speech. You can not be for "freedom of speech" while suppressing freedom of speech.

You are trying to tie this to Citizens United, in which I am using it to describe what a company has because of it. That is the mistake you are making.

I'm done with that argument. If you want to keep that going, that is on you.

BL.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Musk is saying that he wants "freedom of speech" on Twitter, because of what he perceives to be the suppression of one side's views and viewpoints on the platform. Then in that same vein, he goes on to suspend Kanye West's account for those viewpoints on his platform.

Nothing inconsistent with Twitter enforcing the Terms of Service and suspending West.
You are trying to make a chicken out of a feather…actually there’s no feather to start with.

Twitter is a private company. True. Thanks to Citizens United, Twitter is granted 1A rigets.
SCOTUS gave corporations 1st Amendment rights in the 1930’s.

What SCOTUS did in Citizens United was return the 1st Amendment Rights that were legislated away in the Campaign Reform Act of 2002 relating to their ability to give money in support of or in opposition to candidates.

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Better than it’s ever been?

You do realize that all of Elmo’s new ideas for Twitter failed, and that he’s abolishing his free speech absolutist principles to keep Twitter on the AppStore and get Apple’s advertising dollars back on his platform?

The $8 verification wet dream was doa. So now he’s steadily inching his way back to pleasing corporate America with the level of censorship and moderation that suits their agendas, just like pre-Elmo Twitter did.

And exactly what has changed or improved? We got a few weeks of unnecessary drama from someone who failed to understand the Twitter business model?

Amazing! We couldn’t have been without it! Thanks, Elmo!!👏 🤪👏🤓🍾🎉
I love Twitter and Elon so much! He’s such a nice and approachable guy - and also highly intelligent. I look forward to a world full of open source software and open information! Woohoo!!

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
not really surprised that you think this.
Well if you've got some other criticisms, feel free to lay them out my guy. So far the criticism is beyond weak. And quite hypocritical (or perhaps demonstrating an extraordinary lack of self-awareness) coming from somebody who takes Fox News as a serious and ojective news source.

or not build a website for him? I just want to see how far your freedom goes..
I don't understand your question. Feel free to rephrase.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
maybe you need another news source. :D
Maybe you need some actual substance to your posts. However, it appears you don't actually have anything of consequence to say nor a point to make. I'll leave you to find someone else to make your inane ramblings to. I'll spend my time responding to those who actually have something to say. 😃

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Maybe you need some actual substance to your posts. However, it appears you don't actually have anything of consequence to say nor a point to make. I'll leave you to find someone else to make your inane ramblings to. I'll spend my time responding to those who actually have something to say. 😃

ok it's a discussion, not an education. sorry, you will have to do your own research. :D

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
It's funny that Musk managed to turn his personal succe$$ on acquiring a "billioness" into his customers supporting or not free speech. More funny is that the common man seams to be buying this.

Meanwhile in his pitch deck, Mr. Musk claimed he would increase Twitter’s annual revenue to $26.4 billion by 2028, up from $5 billion last year.

So the issue as posed by Musk is actually irrelevant.

The truth is Apple or any other company will advertise on Twitter as long as is a good advertising medium. At the moment don't see any reason not to. Don't see the talk going on between Tim and Elon going any different from this.

Will see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.