Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Good News.

While, I'm not in the market for either of these machines, the outcome of this particular upgrade sets a standard for if Apple intends to drop the G5 to the consumer level.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
I'm pretty sure they will eol the eMac because a computer featuring only USB 1.1, SDRAM and ATi 7500 is so outdated. As for the iMac, I'm not sure if we'll see a G5 iMac before summer.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
exellent

i'll probably never buy an imac i need the power

as soon as we get g5 powerbooks i am gonna get one with my hords of g5pb savings(£1253.41 to date)

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
This rumor may have some credibility as the current australian deals run out the end of next week. (The current deals are basicly cheap ipod deals, to shift certain stock... good indication of an update... well i don't mind either way)

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
Blatant Speculation

on my part would be a g5 iMac (come on kids, its really time. Let's not wish it a G4 just to keep G5 owners feeleing superior!)
As for the eMac, that's a wild card. I'd love it to go headless (besides, it'd be tree-huggy thing to do, sparing the landfills some 17" CRTS) but it probably won't.
If it does keep a built in screen, it would be wicked hot if it turned into a TAM (20th anniversary mac) format, with posable stand, 15" LCD, and side slot loading drive. For those of you with a knack for photoshop, I'd love to see and "artist's rendition" of such a device! (hint hint)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
lind0834 said:
While, I'm not in the market for either of these machines, the outcome of this particular upgrade sets a standard for if Apple intends to drop the G5 to the consumer level.
I'm not in the market either (I bought my iMac in late January of this year); I think this upcoming iMac (G5) revision is coming right when I expected it to, which was sometime around the time of the PowerMac update. I haven't followed the eMac line, so I don't have any guesses as to what will be in it. This is good news for iMac and eMac buyers, though.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
we know moto has been making 1.4 and 1.5 G4s, what if apple is just going to bump the imac/emac. this is my fear. another bump. i have been running a 1.4 at 1.47 for almost a year now in my powermac. what if apple was sitting on this because they were to close to the 1.6 G5 powermac. with new 90nm g5s almost here they very well may do another motorola bump to the consumer line. lets hope not.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Dont Hurt Me said:
we know moto has been making 1.4 and 1.5 G4s, what if apple is just going to bump the imac/emac. this is my fear. another bump. i have been running a 1.4 at 1.47 for almost a year now in my powermac. what if apple was sitting on this because they were to close to the 1.6 G5 powermac. with new 90nm g5s almost here they very well may do another motorola bump to the consumer line. lets hope not.
DHM, are you concerned about other people who may want an iMac/eMac rather than yourself? Based on what you've posted, I don't think you would be in the market for an iMac right now. I do agree with you though; I'd hate to see another iMac with a Motorola G4 processor.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Apple needs to pour R&D into more than just their music players, let's get back to basics here, let's make faster COMPUTERS and stop this nickel-and-diming "speed" increases with lackluster Moto chips!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I really like the all in one design,less cable clutter,more space on and in your desk. But it has to be current hardware. If Apple were to release a 2.0 G5 Imac that had a 9600 or better video system I would order it today. I kind of doubt this looking at the history of the past few years. They will make sure it dont step on powermac toes in many ways,video,cpu and memory and then we end up with a machine that is lacking. Just because it is a all in one means it starts life handicapped with no upgrades so please dont handicap it more Apple. thats what im saying. STOP HANDICAPPING IMAC!

BillyBunter

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2003
A good thing too

I just bought an emac for the wife and after less than a day we decided to return it. Slower than a slow dog in Slowsville, it seemed to me to be deliberately handicapped by the lack of ram. Bring on the new models!

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Remember the e in eMac stands for education. Schools are spending money right now for next year. An upgraded eMac would make a lot of schools happy. By the way....In a school environment the eMac rocks.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
BillyBunter said:
I just bought an emac for the wife and after less than a day we decided to return it. Slower than a slow dog in Slowsville, it seemed to me to be deliberately handicapped by the lack of ram. Bring on the new models!

*rolls eyes* How much ram did you have? Why didn't you upgrade the ram?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Dont Hurt Me said:
I really like the all in one design,less cable clutter,more space on and in your desk. But it has to be current hardware. If Apple were to release a 2.0 G5 Imac that had a 9600 or better video system I would order it today. I kind of doubt this looking at the history of the past few years. They will make sure it dont step on powermac toes in many ways,video,cpu and memory and then we end up with a machine that is lacking. Just because it is a all in one means it starts life handicapped with no upgrades so please dont handicap it more Apple. thats what im saying. STOP HANDICAPPING IMAC!
You kind of doubt that this will happen? Judging by Apple's history of how they update their computers, this won't happen until none of the PowerMacs have a processor rated at 2.0 GHz or slower and none of them come with the ATI Radeon 9600 or worse graphics card as standard. This probably won't come until the iMacs and PowerMacs have gone through at least 1 more, possibly 2 more revision(s).

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
BillyBunter said:

Unless you're gaming, there's nothing wrong with the eMac except the stock RAM. I have a 1GHz PowerBook and with 768MB of RAM that thing FLIES-- significantly faster than my PC at work (although my work PC isn't top of the line, it's no slouch either at 1.8)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
BillyBunter said:
I feel your pain, they really went to work on Emac so it didnt hurt Imac sales. But Emac is a good machine give it more memory and break open that case and let it run at 1.26 or 1.33 like it was suppose to and its not bad. Apple underclocked that machine on purpose. again playing the game instead of selling computers.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The 128MB eMac is unusable out of the box. Apple really shouldn't sell anything with less than 256MB of memory and I certainly hope that minimum standard is reached with the next round of revisions. But that said, once I threw in another 512MB, my eMac been fine. It's hardly a speed demon, but it's perfectly good for everything I use it for.

Still, remember when the iMac first came out? It was really fast. The top-of-the-line Mac was a 300Mhz G3. The iMac had a 233Mhz G3. Everything else was stripped down for _power_: crappy keyboard, no disk drive, little expansion. It was a perfect cheap computer; powerful, but basic.

I realize Apple isn't going to return to that philosophy, but it would be awesome if they did.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Dont Hurt Me said:
I feel your pain, they really went to work on Emac so it didnt hurt Imac sales. But Emac is a good machine give it more memory and break open that case and let it run at 1.26 or 1.33 like it was suppose to and its not bad. Apple underclocked that machine on purpose. again playing the game instead of selling computers.
If I were you, I'd send feedback to Apple, if you haven't already. Knowing the way Apple sells computers, though, I would be surprised if they listened to you. To be quite honest, I don't know what Apple's true motivations behind manipulating their lines by 'playing games' with the components are either.

iHack

macrumors regular
I like your sig:
Dont Hurt Me said:
Its time to start looking for Space stuff that may cross our path. It will take only 1 large Comet or Asteroid to mess up our planet. What we are doing now is inadequate to say the least. Doing nothing is still nothing. Welcome to Nasa and Politicians.

You're right. The way we're screwing up this planet is WAY in adequate. We need an asteroid. At the current rate we will at least need few more decades before global mass extinction will kick in. Yeah, we need an asteroid!

M.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
A G5 version of the iMac/eMac would, of course, be great. However, given the heat issues with the G5, there'd have to be a complete redesign. So, I'm guessing that we'll see faster G4 versions.

However, if there's a redesign, I sincerely hope that they make the systems more expandable/future-proof. Yes, I love the all-in-one design. But...no other manufacturer produces a consumer line - an entire line of all non-pro systems - which is effectively non-expandable (yes, you can add RAM and an AirPort...). I'd really like to see a non-all-in-one, like the rebirth of the cube design which has been spoken of before. A cube - which at least has replaceable parts, even if it isn't truly expandable - coupled with your choice of monitors would be my ideal. All-in-one is nice, but surely they could design something that looks almost as good but won't be "obsolete" so quickly (yeah, I know Macs take a long time to be obsolete, but they can get dog slow very quickly...especially when underpowered at birth).

BTW, there's a part of the Bluetooth spec that would allow for wireless monitors. Don't know if it'll ever get used, but it's a cool thought...don't know what max res would be (probably minimal).

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
According to MacOS Rumors

iMac G5 to follow new PowerMacs, at or before WWDC. The latest from Cupertino: iMac G5s are nearly ready to roll and the only things holding back the new PowerMacs are supplies of new motherboards and higher-clocked PowerPC 970FX CPUs.

If the new PowerMacs ship on schedule in mid to late April, sources believe that a new iMac family with 1-2 G5 models and 2-3 G4 models will follow 5-8 weeks after that -- definitely no later than Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference at the end of June. More details soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.