Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
Looks like a nice package to me. Then again, I've liked the eMacs all along.

But can we stop comparing them to the long-dead CRT iMac now?

Smaller than most stand-alone PC displays, the eMac design is about the same size as the 15-inch-CRT-based iMac (8mm shorter, actually), which makes it ideal for limited desk space in the classroom or at home.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
oingoboingo said:
I hereby call to order the inaugural meeting of the "Destroy Apple Australia" club. Tonight's winner of the lucky door prize will be flying to Honolulu, where they will be buying PowerBooks and accessories for everyone at normal US pricing!!! The runner-up will receive an all-expenses paid taxi ride to Frenchs Forest, where they will meet with Apple Australia executives, and instruct them on a) how to find the Commonwealth Bank's currency calculator web site and b) how to use it when calculating reasonable prices for hardware :)

Now that's funny... :p

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
oingoboingo said:
I hereby call to order the inaugural meeting of the "Destroy Apple Australia" club. Tonight's winner of the lucky door prize will be flying to Honolulu, where they will be buying PowerBooks and accessories for everyone at normal US pricing!!! The runner-up will receive an all-expenses paid taxi ride to Frenchs Forest, where they will meet with Apple Australia executives, and instruct them on a) how to find the Commonwealth Bank's currency calculator web site and b) how to use it when calculating reasonable prices for hardware :)

and c) thank them for the lovely holiday that they funded.

rickschmauss

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
A Wolf in Sheep's Skin?

Spent considerable time reading the posts here. I Bought the iMac 800Mhz 17" wide. What do you know..... 3 Months later it is booted up to 1Ghz. Now it's even faster with a bigger screen. Sigh!!!!!!!! Oh I'm happy with it. Just wondered if I had been better off with an eMac instead. Cheaper too!

Well, that's just before I had iMacs begin dropping like flies. Did a lot of reading on the web and found that overheating in all-in-one Macs tends to melt down coils in the Flyback Transformer (common TV component) over time and cause failure. I've noted a couple of posts here on the topic since saddling up on Rumors, too.

Perhaps I'm just sour over a couple of dead iMacs, but aren't we looking at a design flaw that didn't address ample cooling? Isn't the eMac a hopped up DV iMac in sheep's clothing? Would you imagine we're looking at an inadequite cooling problem with the eMac?

I love Macs, but I'm wondering if we're being sucked into buying new gear every time we turn around cause someone took design above rational functions?

Anyway, my DV 400 Special was too dear to leave on the shelf dead as a door nail for long, as was my 233 and I went to work on them. I'm no tech, by a long shot, but the following link made me bold enough to go where I've never been.......

http://www.macopz.com/columns/imacrepair/index.html

How long to wait till we see the above link pictured with an eMac instead of a revision C iMac?

I hope some of you folks are awake to the idea that Apple could and has been taking us all for a ride to an extent. Take enough Macs apart, and you'll soon know what I mean. Strip down a 7200 and a G3 Desktop and mix up the parts. There are many common to both, but that's beside the point. :confused:

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
jade said:
Free on HPs

Not the one I configured, since MS Works 2004 was free, but WordPerfect was $10 more. Yes, it's only a measly ten bucks, but it's still not free.

Cost is important to a point. Paying a $200-300 premium for a Mac makes sense. Paying twice as much is much tougher to justify for money conscious consumers. Every dollar doesn't count, but when you are talking about hundreds of dollars you count your pennies.

Then "money conscious consmuers" aren't in the same market that Apple is, and they shouldn't be too worried about them. There are certain realities of marketing, supply, and manufacturing that need to be faced by the people who keep insisting that Apple is vastly overcharging.

I do not think Apple needs to compete in the ultra cheap space at all, but Apple does need to offer equivalent specs compared with other machines in the price class they compete in. If $1800 machines offer 512 PC3200 RAM, 128 VRAM, media card readers, 8 USB ports, 12x DVD burnersvand 160 gb hard drives, Apple needs to come close to approximating or meeting most of these specs. If Apple can not meet these requirements, well pricing needs to come down a bit. The most important specs are the easily comparable cross-platform. Ram, hard drives, video, ports, whatever.

On everything but the devices that require manufacturer support (video cards and optical drives, mainly), Apple does come close or exceed the rest of the market. Their one inexplciable weakness is RAM, though the way that I've seen them caution people about it makes me wonder if the motherboards don't have some incompatibiility issues with some of the manufacturers. I just went and took a look around, and a casual scan of the only OEM who ought to be compared to Apple doesn't offer anything more than 8x DVD-R, certainly not 8 USB ports, nor a baseline of 512MB or 160GB HDs, and even their HDs aren't standardized on SATA.

How many times must I explain that Apple can't bring their pricing down much without shooting themselves in the foot. Dell, Compaq/HP, Sony, and others all have massive product lines and huge warchests that derive from other sales or sheer volume. Apple cannot do the same things that they do. It just can't be done, without completely risking the company or just outright killing it.

different customer have different hot buttons. I wholeheartedly agree that ilife is best-in-class, but people make it out that the PC equivalents are awful pieces of software. You can get the same things done with almost as much ease with the bundled software on mid-to-higher end pcs. End of story.

We might as well agree to disagree on this one, because I don't believe for a second that any PC bundled software is even close. Perhaps it's changed in the four months since I last had to try it, but I doubt it.

Does Apple need to match HP pricing dollar for dollar? or Dell's pricing (the savings come from superior inventory management...Apple could take lessons here) or Sony? (well sony's PC division is a money losing vanity project).

At this point, almost every OEM besides Dell is a "money losing vanity project." Why compare to them?

Looking across the board in PC-land you find very compareable machines at half the price.

Because other people are selling either at a loss, or at cost. Apple can't do that.

If Apple was 25% more the complaints would cease (well to a point)

No, because the DHMs of the world aren't happy with anything Apple does, no matter how good it is or how reasonable the argument made by the people who support them. If the machine isn't exactly what he wants, then it's obviously just crap that's being pushed by someone at Apple who wants to drive marketshare down and piss off this mystical "Consumer" he keeps pointing at as if it were a signle, definable group.

I saw on a message board somewhere: don't you think it is pretty sad that a basic $400 PC has more expandability than a $1500 imac.

No, I don't, because the iMac philosophy has never been one of expandability. It's a different market, and one that fills different tastes and needs than bargain PCs. The original CRT iMac wasn't expandable (outside of the never-exploited Mezzanine slot), the G4 iMac isn't expandable, and I severely doubt that will change. They're consumer grade machines, intended to do most things a home user will want without needing any external add-ons.

Cheap PCs are meant to appeal to people who don't know about computers.

Does apple have to compete in every space and beat all specs by 200%.... of course not...but we are still looking at 1ghz machines at 1999 prices when PCs are approaching 4ghz and the price has cut in half. Obviously Apple's profit margins are insane if Dell, Emachines (yup these guys are successful as well even though they sell the cheapest machines....they buld their machines when ordered so do not need to have markdowns or closeouts to clear out inventory) and Acer can make a profit.

Repeat after me: PC manufacturers have access to cheap, off the shelf parts that are done in huge runs and then warehoused, to be sold to whoever makes the best offer to buy them. Apple has a handful of manufacturers doing smaller runs specifically for them, and so they do not have the same access to cheap parts that would let them bring proces down. This applies to anything that isn't a slot-and-forget part, like RAM and hard drives. Since economies of scale most certainly do apply, you end up with older machines that cost more and more as new technology comes in and the production of the parts trails off.

There is no parellel between the two, and repeating your claims doesn't make them any more true. If I were a PC OEM, I could just cut a deal with whoever made the cheapest boards that suited my needs, quite possibly even buying someting right off the shelf and slotting it in. Apple can't do this, and has to make a lot of their parts through special deals and their own research.

This is a golden opportunity for Apple to increase sales and marketshare...most of the stars are alligned, but the current hardware lineup is holding Apple back. By decreasing profit margins slightly Apples sales could increase dramatically.

Slightly? You're pointing at $900 computers that cost that much for the parts alone. That's selling at a loss, not lowering margins. Why don't you understand this?

Apple uses "superior parts" The same stuff that goes in the mid-range PCs (which are the ones that we use to compare)

Apple uses direct ATI and Nvidia cards, not Sapphire, Rosewill, Gainward, EVGA, or any of the other license holders. The optical drives are 'the same' in that the same manufacturers supply them, but Apple has traditionally chosen high-end providers, not the cheapest ones on the market.

video cards...well these are 99% the smae as well. Simple hardware modification to put ADC and add the extra space for the extra Apple instructions.

I take it that you're not at all involved in hardware production, then, since I know people who do circuit design, and the things that you're talking about aren't just simple modifications. Apple doesn't use DirectX, nor Windows drivers, and so there have to be special concessions made on hardware and software both.

The cheap machines...yup they use crappy parts.... but the name brand systems use most of the smae stuff...so this superior parts super sized pricing arguement doesn't justify the price difference as much as you like to argue.

It's a tiny part of the markup, not my primary argument. The largest portion of the argument is economies of scales, which you seem to have a slightly better grasp of than DHM.

All the R&D in the world won't matter....And it looks to be coming more and more like a reality all the time.

Catch-22. How is Apple to lower costs if the developers won't take a chance, and how are the developers to take a chance without the marketshare?

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
oingoboingo said:

… And then send all the club members across the Tasman to Destroy Renaissance Corporation! (Sole NZ Apple Distributor)

Same price gouging approach at work here as well!

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
thatwendigo said:
Not the one I configured, since MS Works 2004 was free, but WordPerfect was $10 more. Yes, it's only a measly ten bucks, but it's still not free.

off the shelf ones have it included

Then "money conscious consmuers" aren't in the same market that Apple is, and they shouldn't be too worried about them. There are certain realities of marketing, supply, and manufacturing that need to be faced by the people who keep insisting that Apple is vastly overcharging.

what about the mid-range people, Apple should ignore these people....I like to differentiate from cheap people and money conscious...we aren't talking the nickel and dimers here, but the people looking for a good machine at a fair price.

On everything but the devices that require manufacturer support (video cards and optical drives, mainly), Apple does come close or exceed the rest of the market. Their one inexplciable weakness is RAM, though the way that I've seen them caution people about it makes me wonder if the motherboards don't have some incompatibiility issues with some of the manufacturers. I just went and took a look around, and a casual scan of the only OEM who ought to be compared to Apple doesn't offer anything more than 8x DVD-R, certainly not 8 USB ports, nor a baseline of 512MB or 160GB HDs, and even their HDs aren't standardized on SATA.

In this case Dell is a poor company to compare to Apple, because Dell does not compete in the retail space. This is where your statement that the only manufacter Apple can compare with is Dell. Dell sells ddirect, and built to order, that is where the cost savings come from. Since Apple doesn't follow a direct to customer model, they do not match up. This is when you go to your local Best Buy and looks at wht is on the shelf from the major vendors. These machines do offer more expansion than some Apple models...and everything above $800 comes with 512 RAM. The machines in the $800-1200 price range include 120 GB hard drives about 75% of the time and Those that are $1200 and up ship 160gb as standard 50% of the time. No matter how you look at it, 80gb for an $1800 tower is under spec-ed.

How many times must I explain that Apple can't bring their pricing down much without shooting themselves in the foot. Dell, Compaq/HP, Sony, and others all have massive product lines and huge warchests that derive from other sales or sheer volume. Apple cannot do the same things that they do. It just can't be done, without completely risking the company or just outright killing it.

WE all know Apple makes the profit on the pro machines, and isn't opposed to selling the consumer lines closer to cost. What Apple does to increase profit margin is through the Applecare, pro cards, and dotmac. These are huge profit makers and Apple educates its salesforce to attach these products. These add one will make up for thne minimal sacrafice in profit margins I am suggesting. (ie price dropping 5-10%)
At this point, almost every OEM besides Dell is a "money losing vanity project." Why compare to them?

Well most OEMs lose money on the cheap machines that are gaining favor in the marketplace. When you compare the mid-range to high-end systems Apple directly competes against, the profit margins are very similar.

We both agree Apple doesn't need to tackle the ultra-cheap PCs and most of these guys play in the same mid-range market.

Repeat after me: PC manufacturers have access to cheap, off the shelf parts that are done in huge runs and then warehoused, to be sold to whoever makes the best offer to buy them. Apple has a handful of manufacturers doing smaller runs specifically for them, and so they do not have the same access to cheap parts that would let them bring proces down. This applies to anything that isn't a slot-and-forget part, like RAM and hard drives. Since economies of scale most certainly do apply, you end up with older machines that cost more and more as new technology comes in and the production of the parts trails off.

Optical drives also fit in the drop and forget it slot. Apple develops the drives for the drives in house...and well things don't really change when an OEM goes from 2x to 16x drives. So Apple also has access to the same "cheap" parts from everyone else. Not all OEMs use el-cheapo optical drives..... they buy in bulk fropm pioneer or sony or ma****a. So the special parts are very few. Apple also takes on a large portion of the driver development for most of the hardware, so Apple can utilize off the shelf parts.. since the product makers have a very limited role of the driver creation. (For example Sony doesn't officially support macs on their optical drives, but these drivers were seen in some powermacs. The driver profile states Apple DVD drive driver...not sony driver.)

There is no parellel between the two, and repeating your claims doesn't make them any more true. If I were a PC OEM, I could just cut a deal with whoever made the cheapest boards that suited my needs, quite possibly even buying someting right off the shelf and slotting it in. Apple can't do this, and has to make a lot of their parts through special deals and their own research.

And the name brand OEMs also choose their battles too...some choose the cheap parts and others choose quality parts. You like to generalize all OEMS pick junk, and that isn't the case. My local "White box" pc maker uses good parts overall, and of course will let you pick what you want.

Slightly? You're pointing at $900 computers that cost that much for the parts alone. That's selling at a loss, not lowering margins. Why don't you understand this?

And when building this PC your self your pricing comes from retail pricing not volume wholesale pricing. Very few models are sold at a loss. On the PC $900 is the midrange...and there is a decent amount of profit attached...in line with imac profit margins. You are assuming these models are sold at cost.

Catch-22. How is Apple to lower costs if the developers won't take a chance, and how are the developers to take a chance without the marketshare?

Apple can lower hardware costs and increase percentages of services sold to make up for lost revenue. I mean Apple is already selling a ton of software and the other stuff I mentioned earlier. Increasing Applecare customers by 5% would easily make up for the 5-10% price drop I propose. And cheaper hardware costs will give the developers more customers to market to, and lead to cheaper costs for Apple.

Apple could also stand to improve supply chain management....which will lead to increased cost savings and profits without sacraficing quality. Looking at what emachines and Dell are doing to minimze production costs...they have implemented very creative solutions to minimize excess product and surplus markdowns.

Emachines is another profitable PC maker, but they aren't public so they do not need to report anything...they are doing very well on slim margins...buy controling the supply to correspond with orders. That is a brilliant scheme and they never resort to clearances to clear out products...there is never any leftovers at the end of the season, and it allows them to introduce new models rapidly. Even though they target the low end exclusively, there are many valuable lessons here. eMAchines works very closely with their suppliers and retailers to tailor the supply to demand and limit the time each model sits on the shelf (Even if new models are 98% like the old ones....new stuff always seems better)

paulsecic

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
San Lorenzo, CA
KC9AIC said:
If they do this, they had better make one very good line that has a wide variety of configurations, as I currently really like the eMac line (though not so much the eMac looks).
I am a disabled Man and I type with a stick on my head and I have an old Imac keyboard with the on button. Will this first generation keyboard turn on a G5 destop?

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
paulsecic said:
I am a disabled Man and I type with a stick on my head and I have an old Imac keyboard with the on button. Will this first generation keyboard turn on a G5 destop?

I think it will, as long as it is USB.

paulsecic

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
San Lorenzo, CA
maxterpiece said:
oingoboingo said:
I agree. Apple's desktop lineup doesn't get even slightly interesting until you get to the G5 PowerMacs...and then they ship the 1.6GHz G5 with only 256MB RAM, an 80GB hard drive and a GeForce FX5200 as standard. Come on...that kind of crap would barely make it into the cheapest PC you could buy from your local screwdriver shop. Thankfully, Apple appears to be willing to let you in on the joke, and they allow you to upgrade your FX5200 to a Radeon 9600 at ordering time for only AU$89 or AU$99 (can't remember, I bought mine about 7 months ago). But even so...a G5 which is upgraded to a decent level is still quite an expensive computer...without a screen.

The EOL rumour for iMac and eMac is a good one...because it hopefully means Apple will do something to address the complete lack of attractiveness of both of their consumer desktop machines. Nobody except the most hardened Apple zealot or willfully ignorant hardware moron would want to shell out a premium amount of cash for a desktop system which comes with a 32MB Radeon 7500, a 1GHz G4, USB 1.1...AND THEN CAN'T BE UPGRADED. The 128MB standard RAM is also disgraceful...Apple's minimum system requirement for iLife '04 are 256MB RAM!!! How can Apple sell a machine which doesn't even meet their own minimum specification for their bundled flagship consumer apps? Take a look at the calendar...it's 2004. Software evolves, and user's needs evolve. The entry-level systems Apple sells leave no room for growth at all.

Please please please don't let the updates just be a speed bump from 1GHz to 1.25GHz and changing the included DIMM from 128MB to 256MB (although that would be a start).[/QUOTE

Man - I agree. It's been 4 years since apple has had a desktop machine below the professional level that even resembled a PC in terms of price/performance. I know apple puts a lot more $ into software development but they also don't have to pay microsoft that licensing fee to put windows on every computer. The only person who's gonna buy an imac or an emac is someone who surfs the web and the internet. Anything more processor-intensive and it becomes obvious just how weak these computers are. The laptops, too, are getting to a point where PCs just are incomparable in terms of price/performance. To be perfectly honest, the G5 and the DP G4s are the only systems that make OS X not feel sluggish and that really bring out the power of OS X's multitasking capabilities. This is in part because the graphics cards in low end systems are so cheap. Apple software is worth paying a premium for, but right now you can pay $600 for PC that runs as smoothly as a low end G5.
I ordered my G5 from Mac Zone where they give you an extra 512MB. Of course you have to pay them to install it. I also think Apple must make 512MB thier default.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
The PC is king

Since November 2003 I've waited (and waited!) for Apple to upgrade the imac range. I kept hearing rumours of possible speedbumps and the anniversary came and went ... and nothing! Thing is, even back then, £1,750 for a PC with only 1.25GHz, 256MB and 64MB graphics was crazy. Sure, it had a lovely 20" screen ... but it was a little like sticking a £5,000 sound system in a 20 year old car! Whether I actually needed more for my money was the subject of many debates with my newly PC - Apple converted buddy, but the thing was ... I just wanted value for money ... or at least more perceived value for money!

In the end I bought a DELL and although its not a lovely Apple, doesn’t have the glorious ilife :( and yes, I've had the odd Blue Screen of death (all my fault though!), I'm about £1,100 better off!!!! Yes ... £1,100!!!!

For £750 (Yes … £750!!!!) I got a P4 3GHz (Hyper threading, 1MB L2), 512MB DDR, 120GB, CDRW & DVDRW, 128MB Geforce, 8 type 2 USB, 3 Firewire, Wireless keyboard & Mouse, modem, 6 speaker system (rocks!) ... the list goes on. And this is no slow machine ... it’s a Dimension 8300, top of the range and will blow any G4 1.5GHz processor system out the water.

So as you see, Apple lost yet another customer because they've taken their eye of the ball and have been naive enough to think people would put form over function. For my £1,750 I would have expected a 20" imac with 1.5Ghz, 512mb Memory and 128MB Graphics card (well it is supposed to be the all in one multi media machine isn’t it?). That would have made me buy (even if it was still overpriced compared to the Dell).

As it happens, I'm quite pleased with my Dell and I've managed to live without the things I thought I needed. I run an ipod no problem (another mistake from Apple because if XP didn’t run itunes I WOULD have bought an Apple) and as for idvd and imovie, I forked out £200 for professional software ... and upgraded my monitor to 19" for £300 ... and I'm still quid’s in (with better software and a better monitor!) I run TV cards, great games (I was prepared to give these up for Apple!) and I've kept my wonderful pocket PC (no need to spend MORE money buying a Mac compatible organiser!).

I still argue with my Apple buddy when he says ‘But Chad, you don’t need more than 1.25GHz and 64MB Graphics’ because he’s talking crap … but Apple people love the stuff so much (which is fair enough) that they’re blinded! If you seriously expect me to believe that, using my PC for making small DVD’s, a photo and music base, requires no more than the above … then you’re mad. Forget about all this ‘With Apple they run different from PC’s’ … 1.25GHz does not compare to a 3GHz P4 and neither does a 64MB graphics card. In fact, if my friend is right, I could buy an equivalent spec DELL (maybe just a 2400) for about £500 … saving me more!!!!!!!

I wish I had an Apple ... but until they sort their act out ... I'll live with the OCCASIONAL Blue screen of death (although I've only had 1 in 6 weeks)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
chadley_chad said:
I wish I had an Apple ... but until they sort their act out ... I'll live with the OCCASIONAL Blue screen of death (although I've only had 1 in 6 weeks)

I can see the temptation. My parents have been holding off on the iMac renewal (at my recommendation) since about then. Hopefully soon, and hopefully they too will plumet in price as the rest of the renewals have done.

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
I ordered the eMac on the day it came out, and it will ship on or before Thursday. ****ing awesome deal. With stand, 512 RAM, 80 gig HD, combo drive...under $1000. I'll post in a separate thread to tell you my impressions.

Upgrading from a 500 mhz iBook :) The difference is going to be huge.

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
chadley_chad said:
Thing is, even back then, £1,750 for a PC with only 1.25GHz, 256MB and 64MB graphics was crazy. Sure, it had a lovely 20" screen ... but it was a little like sticking a £5,000 sound system in a 20 year old car!

1) It's not a PC for ₤1,750. It's a mac, which is an entirely different ballgame, and one which isn't necessarily subject to the same market conditions as every other company out there. This applies to pressure and benefits, and os there are possible benefits and downsides to this simple fact, but it isn't going to go away.

2) I would be perfectly happy to put ₤5,000 of sound system in a 20 year old car. In lots of cases, older cars are better put together than the ones that you could buy today. In fact, my dream car is a '72 Barracuda, which is just over thirty years old now.

Whether I actually needed more for my money was the subject of many debates with my newly PC - Apple converted buddy, but the thing was ... I just wanted value for money ... or at least more perceived value for money!

Then buy what gives you the most perceived value. For me, there is no PC I've ever used that is worth as much as my 600mhz iBook, let alone one of those dual G5s I'd like to buy sometime in the next few years.

For £750 (Yes … £750!!!!) I got a P4 3GHz (Hyper threading, 1MB L2), 512MB DDR, 120GB, CDRW & DVDRW, 128MB Geforce, 8 type 2 USB, 3 Firewire, Wireless keyboard & Mouse, modem, 6 speaker system (rocks!) ... the list goes on. And this is no slow machine ... it’s a Dimension 8300, top of the range and will blow any G4 1.5GHz processor system out the water.

Considering that I just checked Dell's site and the price for an 8300 is starting at ₤999, I think you're lying.

Even assuming the most bare-bones software that won't come anywhere near iLife, leaving it all at baseline levels, I'm still well over ₤900 at this point, and I'm not even all the way down the list yet.

So as you see, Apple lost yet another customer because they've taken their eye of the ball and have been naive enough to think people would put form over function. For my £1,750 I would have expected a 20" imac with 1.5Ghz, 512mb Memory and 128MB Graphics card (well it is supposed to be the all in one multi media machine isn’t it?). That would have made me buy (even if it was still overpriced compared to the Dell).

Bye.

I still argue with my Apple buddy when he says ‘But Chad, you don’t need more than 1.25GHz and 64MB Graphics’ because he’s talking crap … but Apple people love the stuff so much (which is fair enough) that they’re blinded! If you seriously expect me to believe that, using my PC for making small DVD’s, a photo and music base, requires no more than the above … then you’re mad. Forget about all this ‘With Apple they run different from PC’s’ … 1.25GHz does not compare to a 3GHz P4 and neither does a 64MB graphics card. In fact, if my friend is right, I could buy an equivalent spec DELL (maybe just a 2400) for about £500 … saving me more!!!!!!!

You'll never get the same experience, no matter how much or how little you spend, unless you buy a mac. That's the long and the short of it. Sure, it's fine that you're happy with a cheap Dell that will die on you in a few years, or need some incredible upgrades to keep up with Microsoft.

I've still got an iBook that runs Panther, and it does everything I need it to when I'm on the road. Oh, and you can cut the insulting tone. Nobody here appreciates it, and you're not going to at all bolster your poor arguments that way.

My iBook has never crashed, nor did the one before it. My eMac has crashed twice in two years, and both times were my fault. My family has seven other macs in active, daily service, and we've been using OS X since it was in Beta 2. In around four years, we've had a total of seven crashes on nine machines.

Whatever works for you, though.

paulsecic

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
San Lorenzo, CA
Sun Baked said:
They killed (sort of) OS 9 Bootability on the latest eMacs, so there is no reason to stay with the old SDR PowerMac chipset on that machine any longer -- unless it comes down to price, but at some point it's too expensive to keep that chipset in production (it's the only machine using it).

Even the Legacy MDD PowerMac G4 uses a newer chipset.

So there are two old PowerMac chipsets being used when one might have made a bit more sense (keeping both a SDR and DDR PowerMac chipset in production seems pointless).

Hr last monthI bought a G5 desktop and I’m wondering if anyone has Office for OS8 or 9 hanging around ? I have Cerebral Palsy and I type with a head stick. The reason I ask is I bought CoWriter but it doesn’t fully work in OSX. CoWriter is a word prediction program. Only Talk mode works. It loads into OS9, which is a feat. Don Johnston is working on an OSX version but it won’t be ready until next year. In fact, I told them I would beta test it, & they put me on a list

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.