Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I certainly don't think there will be a major revision coming any time soon, probably just a speed bump primarily and maybe USB 2.0. They just did a major revision to the eMac line back in May so it seems too soon for anything very radical. We need new iBooks before new eMacs anyway, those are much longer in the tooth.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Add USB 2, MHz boost, give the bottom model (except for edu) a CD-RW, and drop the price $100. All set!

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Is it just me or wouldn't it be economically beneficial for Apple to use the same motherboard configuration in the eMac / iMac. It seems only logical to me that since the iMac has been upgraded with DDR and USB 2 that the eMac should see a similar upgrade. Otherwise Apple is forced to produce and support 2 different motherboard configurations for a longer time period. Just my 2 cents. I've always seen the eMac as just an iMac with a CRT.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Originally posted by .a
it look too early after 149 days since the last revision.
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//
.a

It's never too early. Considering recent iMac updates, eMac does not look like a good deal any more. This is particulary true for combo drive model here in Canada.

eMac Combo drive ($1499 CAD)

1GHz
128MB SDRAM
60GB
USB 1.1
No internal Bluetooth option

iMac Combo ($1799 CAD)

1GHz
256MB DDR (CPU not true DDR support but ...)
80GB 7200 RPM
USB 2.0
Internal Bluetooth available

So for $300 CAD (~220 USD) more you get more RAM, bigger HD, USB 2 and LCD screen, not to mention coolness factor.

Looking at US pricing difference is $300 USD (I guess apple.ca updated iMac prices to reflect newer exchange rate of while eMac prices are still stuck in May rates).

I would rather get iMac for $300 more (US or Canadian).

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: eMac Revisions?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Insanely Great posts claims that according to Apple Taiwan documents, eMacs have been cut by 5% in Taiwan and new eMacs models are expected.

Significance/accuracy of this report uncertain.

Despite being the 1337 developer that I am and just about a month away from finally putting my dual-2GHz G5 on order (damned refinancing takes forever!) ... I'm actually a bit excited by this ...

We've been planning on getting an eMac for the kids at the beginning of next year ... just the lowest-end model for no other reason than that we don't need another CD burner and the speed increase isn't important to us (it will, however, be maxed out in Crucial memory ...) A speed bump or feature bump between now and then would be quite welcome ...

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I wish Apple would hurry up and revise. We're going to buy one as soon as they do. We've been holding off the purchase until then.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Yay! Actually this is good if they were brought up to spec. There's some people needing new machines at the college I work for and evil IT who's in M$'s pocket (remember, IT people like M$ because their software and the hardware that run it is so crappy it guarantees them job stability, when our college was all Mac it had about the same amount of machines, when evil peecees took over 1/2 the campus IT expanded by 300% to cover all the problems) wanted to give people Dulls because "they're cheaper" (BS! Not in the long run they ain't!) but if I can justify getting some eMacs at 1.25 at $850 with the edu discount, that'd best the Dulls prices with monitor and be much more cool. Plus it'd keep IT out of our offices because, well, we're all Mac hence we've never had to call IT for anything.

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
I would love an eMac revision in the next couple months. My parents are going to be buying one and if we can get them a brand new one with more up-to-date features, so much the better. I'm just hoping for more RAM and a 120GB HD on the top-end model.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Originally posted by machan
I would love an eMac revision in the next couple months. My parents are going to be buying one and if we can get them a brand new one with more up-to-date features, so much the better. I'm just hoping for more RAM and a 120GB HD on the top-end model.

There will be revision in the next couple of months for sure.
What I am hoping is for something withing next couple of weeks. I never considered eMac because of the limited space on my desk but with the nice upgrade in features (at least USB2) and reduction in price it would definitely be worth of consideration.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I am getting an eMac for my mom, and want it to be bundled with Panther. Hopefully they are released around the same time. I don't want to have to wait for either.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It is funny that everyone writes off the eMac and does not care that Apple even offers this computer, but bang for buck it is a good deal. It is designed for the value minded shopper that wants a good full featured computer with decent performance. I would like to see another price drop and speed bump.

Base model 1Ghz with 60GB HD, CDRW, $699, 1.25Ghz with 80GB HD (opt. 120GB), Combo, $799, 1.25Ghz with 80 GB HD (Opt. 120GB) and Superdrive, $899. Okay I might be living in a fantasy world on prices, but it would be nice to have a quality Apple computer knocking on the doors of the budget PC's. Remember you get a nice monitor included too, so Apple would be right in the game on the budget end.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
What about a headless mac. The CRT still being in the line up must gnaw at Steve Jobs. The shipping costs must be gnawing away at Apple's bottom line.

A headless mac would be so great. Think of all the switchers! Just swith your pc box for a mac. Keep your old monitor and junk.

I would love a headless G5 cube thing for the same price as the emac. Is this possible?

Heck, I think without the CRT and a the more expensive motorola chip. You could even lower the price. And, think about the savings in shipping!

One pci slot, 4 ram slots, that's all I ask, oh, yeah, it could be aluminum too. Please, Please.

a1291762

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2003
Australia
Is the eMac still noisy?

When the eMac first came out it was noisy (it's got a fan). As a fanless iMac owner I'm not interested in a noisy replacement for my machine. Are the current eMacs quiet?

I'd be interested in a 1+Ghz eMac with 512MB RAM for around $1,800 AUD. It's not possible to get that low now but a price drop/refresh could make the machines a better buy. I'd love a G5 but the 2ghz is too expensive and the 1.6/1.8 models are underwhelming due to their single procs. A 'good' PC can be had for around $2,000 but that's got more grunt than the current eMacs. More grunt and/or less $$ make the eMac an option for me.

Link

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
a fan of emac but not emac's fan

I love the emac look but that fan has to work too hard, cooling the big CRT plus the chip & graphics card. How can Apple make it quiet?

Also: In the Apple Store, the emac displays all look different. One unit is razor sharp, the next fuzzy. Is it just me or are they inconsistent?

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Originally posted by Coca-Cola
What about a headless mac. The CRT still being in the line up must gnaw at Steve Jobs. The shipping costs must be gnawing away at Apple's bottom line.

A headless mac would be so great. Think of all the switchers! Just swith your pc box for a mac. Keep your old monitor and junk.

I would love a headless G5 cube thing for the same price as the emac. Is this possible?

Heck, I think without the CRT and a the more expensive motorola chip. You could even lower the price. And, think about the savings in shipping!

One pci slot, 4 ram slots, that's all I ask, oh, yeah, it could be aluminum too. Please, Please.

I really don't understand Job's aversion to a desktop model. (ie. headless iMac) I bet if the Cube had done better we'd see more of this type of option.Personally I think we really do need a new Cube-tyoe-machine. Limited expandibility but minus the built in monitor. I would love to know Job's reason for not building such a machine.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Originally posted by Centris 650
I really don't understand Job's aversion to a desktop model. (ie. headless iMac) I bet if the Cube had done better we'd see more of this type of option.Personally I think we really do need a new Cube-tyoe-machine. Limited expandibility but minus the built in monitor. I would love to know Job's reason for not building such a machine.

New Cube-like machine would definitely do better this time then couple of years ago. Original Cube was a bit expensive and a bit ahead of time (design-wise).
PC makers just started pushing small form factor cases (for example Shuttle).
It seems to me that it is always Apple that starts something ahead of time (Newton, Cube), then abandons it and then the right time comes but Apple is not there any more :confused:

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
1 piece macs are a long tradition

the first mac was a one piece machine and it was followed by at least a dozen different models after that . The original iMac and now the eMac are following the proud tradition . I say let Apple produce 1 piece macs for as long as they make computers. They tend to takeup the least amount of space , are easy to setup , and reasonably affordable. Long live the eMac ! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.