Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
1 piece macs are a long tradition

the first mac was a one piece machine and it was followed by at least a dozen different models after that . The original iMac and now the eMac are following the proud tradition . I say let Apple produce 1 piece macs for as long as they make computers. They tend to takeup the least amount of space , are easy to setup , and reasonably affordable. Long live the eMac ! ;)

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Along side my new G5, I have a G4 Cube 450MHz w/ 1GB ram that I got off ebay... I was really impressed with how it all fit together... and w/ slight modification, I even managed to put in a QE-capable video card... No, I didn't have to relocate anything, just snapped the plastic casing off of a connector so that the board that 'must be relocated' can sit at a slight angle... I was surprised at how expandable it was given it's size... I think if apple reworked that design a bit, maybe threw in a low-speed fan and in turn decreased the size of the heat sink, the cube design could be a very nice, fairly extendable system.
I also noticed that the AGP slot in the cube is actually a riser board attached to a standard PCI slot... Possible to have headless cube w/ some PCI card sticking out the side? (if you don't mind keeping the core out of it's beautiful case...)

a bit of background info:
I had been a PC user all my life, and since OS X 10.0 came out I had really liked the UI... w/ 10.2 I really really wanted one, but couldn't afford it... but a couple months ago I finally gave in and bid on a Cube on EBay... I was instantly hooked on everything apple as soon as I got it (and upgraded the RAM, fixed some small other problems) and ended up taking out an apple loan and ordering the "low end" 1.6GHz G5, which is REALLY nice... And now, my PC has been thrown in the closet... I might eventually turn it into a fileserver, or might salvage it for parts... one thing is for sure... other than to maybe install Darwin on it and use it as a server, I won't be hooking my monitor/keyboard back up to it again...

Okay, I'm done rambling now...

okay, so I'm not...
Also wanted to throw in that only Apple could make a system crash look cool... the pictures of kernel panics I've seen had me doing a double take... kernel panic, but the system still manages to darken the screen and display a window saying you need to restart... hella better than BSOD

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
emac vs cube

Since this topic is getting a bit elastic I'll also ramble.

Ok, maybe the emac isn't perfect (although I think it's perfect for the price). However, the fact of having the emac is important for Apple. I mean what other computer company has had sustained success with this type of all-in-one design?

I think there is something about the all-in-one that "fits" Apple. Perhaps it's the idea of getting everything perfectly in one purchase: the great os, the wonderful and complete iapps, the superdrive, the screen, all in one elegant box.

Even if Apple revives the great design of the cube, I'll bet we'll still see a sub $1000 all-in-one, be it imac or emac.

My 512ke all-in-one still works well.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Yes, I think your comments above are correct. Long live the all in one design. I just feel a little burned about not being able to play Jedi Knight 2 with my graphics card and not being able to get a new one. But, I do think that in a year or two I would need a completely new system anyway, faster type ram, HD, usb 2, firewire, different airport. Everything changes, not just the graphics card.

I am sorry eMac. I love you. I think I should buy one now.

I can't make up my mind. I guess I will keep on with my good old G3 400 imac. Yes. It works great.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Coca-Cola
What about a headless mac. The CRT still being in the line up must gnaw at Steve Jobs. The shipping costs must be gnawing away at Apple's bottom line.

A headless mac would be so great. Think of all the switchers! Just swith your pc box for a mac. Keep your old monitor and junk.

I would love a headless G5 cube thing for the same price as the emac. Is this possible?

Heck, I think without the CRT and a the more expensive motorola chip. You could even lower the price. And, think about the savings in shipping!

One pci slot, 4 ram slots, that's all I ask, oh, yeah, it could be aluminum too. Please, Please.

I would get a new cube as well, but only if it costs less than the PM G5s, but it could cost more than an eMac. I would like:

1.6 or 1.8Ghz G5
256MB DDR333 RAM
60GB or 120GB Hard Disk
Radeon 9000 or 9600 Graphics
1 AGP8X and 1 PCI

All for around $1000

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by Centris 650
I really don't understand Job's aversion to a desktop model. (ie. headless iMac) I bet if the Cube had done better we'd see more of this type of option.Personally I think we really do need a new Cube-tyoe-machine. Limited expandibility but minus the built in monitor. I would love to know Job's reason for not building such a machine.

They sold a zilllion si's and LC's.

Rocketman

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by Coca-Cola

I can't make up my mind. I guess I will keep on with my good old G3 400 imac. Yes. It works great.

I am in the same boat. My G3 400 iMac works great and I love it, but I use FCP 4 and DVD Studio 2 at work and would like to be able to use it at home. Sadly, these need an 800 G4. I am hoping for such eMacs refurbs to re-appear in the applestore, but a speed bump and a price drop on new ones would be even better.

ps. I am saving towards a G5 next year, but want to run those programs now. So I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
new eMac

The new eMac needs to be much cheaper. Apple should have a cheap Mac available for those people who are considering switching to the Mac but balk at the price. Sell it for around $599US. The iMac should also be kept fairly cheap at around $999. People who want more can pick up a decked out iMac or entry level PowerMac G5 in the $1200-2000 range. Price seems to be the main factor stopping several people I know from switching to a Mac.

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
$1300-$1500 G5 iMac and eMac next year

Second generation G5 this spring ( 2.4 GHZ ) for the PowerMacs will allow iMacs and eMacs to get 1.6 and 1.8 GHZ G5 around May 2004 . eMac could possibbly have a special edition model with 19" 2048 X 1536 flatscreen monitor and Radeon 9800 for $2000 . :)

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Hah. Sounds more like an iMac than an eMac. Still, I'd buy one for a dollar. Maybe even two dollars. Okay, you win...two thousand. Still not enough? C'mon gimmie. :D

Si

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2001
:( Apple will probably only do a speed boost and perhaps USB2.
But they should look at the following for the next development of the eMac :
a) DDR Ram instead of S-DRam 133
b) reducation in fan noise. Our ICT suite sounds like an airport when all of the eMacs are switch on, but not as loud as an XServe!!!

Perhaps apple will amaze everyone when they do get round to the next development of the eMac and go to a small form computer with plugable monitor (i.e. a cut down PowerMac) or maybe this is what the iMac might be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.