Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Could you please try building from https://github.com/barracuda156/macports-ports/commit/0a51b5c4b7ce0e0418455421b57b94abb7450b32

Or otherwise manually add these lines: https://github.com/OpenSMTPD/OpenSMTPD/pull/1247/files

UPD. It will be actually helpful to know if that works.

Thank you.

It built successfully on the G3:

1709757986878.png

Does it actually work btw?

I can verify the port load opensmtpd command completed successfully.

At the moment, that G3 is not set up to receive or send email, whether by a pine-like client or horde, or a GUI client like GyazMail, so beyond verifying it compiled/installed and loaded as a daemon with launchd, I haven’t test-driven its functionality as a server.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Hi, I've been busy.

It's been a while since I replied to the thread:

Thank you for your efforts.

To the issue:
1. What you see is not an error, it is expected behavior. You just need to do what the message advises: sudo port deactivate libunwind-headers. Then proceed with whatever.
2. Building gcc7 takes a lot of time on G4. Be ready. It is useful to do regardless of a specific port, however. Pretty much anything modern requires C/C++11-capable compilers, so it makes sense to have such installed.
3. It will take a while to get to the point of building nmail itself. I hope we get a fix for it in a few days, there is a minor issue to be addressed with it.

Yes, how is nmail now? Has the issue been fixed?

I am thinking of compiling it on my dual booted Powerbook 17" that runs Tiger and Leopard. Something happened to the 15" running Tiger (the OG of the thread)'s harddrive but I am planning to fix it up again soon.

Would you be able to share any of the relevant building tools (i.e., python, etc.) and the versions to which you have them set?

I know this is very vague (I apologize) but I used everything that was included in the package and I built it with the latest versions of each tool (I'm still a Macports beginner), but it seems like barracuda has solved your problem.

I do also have the latest version of Python installed (3.11, I think. It's for PPCMC). I wonder if that has an impact on the packages being installed at all? Or the processor speed/type? (PowerPC 7446, 7400 etc).

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
View attachment 2364363

Has anyone tried this one?
Tried it once, and it failed:

Picture 1.png

Then, I installed the suggestions:

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Then I went back to try and install it, and it didn't work again:

Picture 5.png

I also tried nmail again and it didn't work.

Picture 6.png

It seems like the "m4" port is the recurring issue in both builds failing. Do you have any ideas on how to solve this/any altnernative links/builds for it?

This is running on 10.5.8 on a 1.33 GHz Powerbook G4 17" with 2GB of RAM, but I looked at the "confirmed plaforms" page and it seems to have been running on older OS X versions:

Screenshot at Apr 02 19-59-26.png

But the page was last updated in November 2004. Is m4 out of date, or something? I'm just wondering because it seems like it hasn't been worked on in a long time. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 13

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Tried it once, and it failed:

View attachment 2364897

Then, I installed the suggestions:

View attachment 2364899

View attachment 2364900

View attachment 2364901

Then I went back to try and install it, and it didn't work again:

View attachment 2364902

I also tried nmail again and it didn't work.

View attachment 2364903

It seems like the "m4" port is the recurring issue in both builds failing. Do you have any ideas on how to solve this/any altnernative links/builds for it?

This is running on 10.5.8 on a 1.33 GHz Powerbook G4 17" with 2GB of RAM, but I looked at the "confirmed plaforms" page and it seems to have been running on older OS X versions:

View attachment 2364904

But the page was last updated in November 2004. Is m4 out of date, or something? I'm just wondering because it seems like it hasn't been worked on in a long time. Thanks.

Could you please try the following: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/62994#comment:96

P. S. We are aware of the issue, just no one submits the patch…

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.