Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyrone841

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Austria
Hi,

I turn to you guys because I haven't found a thread talking about empty notifications :(

After the update to 16.2 (edit: on an iPhone 14 Pro Max if that matters) I the issue where some notifications show up blank as in the image below. The phone has already recognized my face at that time (ie other notifications, if any, would already show the content).

Upon tapping the stack (in this case it was 3 WhatsApp Messages), they unstack and the content is then shown, but once I allow them to stack again, the content is completely gone.

I have noticed that it mostly happens with WhatsApp notifications (but not always - that's what makes is even more unnerving). Phone has been restarted multiple times, Notification settings have been triple checked - everything how it should be.

I had this happen to me when 16.0 was first released, but this disappeared quickly afterwards.
I could not find any other threads talking about that issue - has anyone ever seen this / knows a way to resolve it?

Edit: It seems that Mail now has completely stopped showing me notifications (of course I checked the settings). I send myself (from my work computer, different email adress) an email - no notification at all. Even when the phone is unlocked and on the homescreen, the counter quietly goes up 1 as the email comes in, but nothing else happens. No sound, no banner, nothing at all. Things get more frustrating by the second.

Image.jpeg

Last edited:

tyrone841

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Austria
I also get this
At least I am not alone.

Even though that doesn't help either of us, I feel better :)
I have to say though, that I've received a few Whatsapp Messages through the morning and they all showed up so far. Only last night and this morning (with several restarts in between) I've had this behavior - will keep an eye on it though.

How often have I thought "Yay it's gone" just to find it coming back hours later :)

NichoMarpaunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
it seems facebook and apple does not get along well.. whatapp and messenger have always been buggy on ios.. on my iphone 12 ios 16.2 whatsapp notification only ring 50% of the time

tyrone841

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Austria
The odd thing is, that as written above, I had this at the beginning of iOS 16.0, but it disappeared quickly and only reappeared now with 16.2. And while most of the WhatsApp notifications are now being displayed normally, some of them - seemingly random ones - get displayed blank once again.

DuongHuuPhuc

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
I also have the same issue on iPhone 14 Pro after updating to iOS 16.2 (20C65). The issue happens on Messenger (developed by Facebook), Gmail, Reminders apps no matter the Always-on Display is enabled or not.

Attachments

• 9738ECB7-19BE-4826-B02D-6B4706B000EC.png
    9738ECB7-19BE-4826-B02D-6B4706B000EC.png
    950.5 KB · Views: 205

mar.091997

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
I’m seeing the same issue on my iPhone 14 pro running iOS 16.2. Random blank notifications on the Lock Screen.

Attachments

• 9D82369D-CAE5-4A55-AD84-1484953AFD50.png
    9D82369D-CAE5-4A55-AD84-1484953AFD50.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 159

tyrone841

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Austria
It still happens to me as well. Not as often anymore, but I've mostly seen it when I get a bunch of notifications from one sender (ie one contact in Whatsapp). I haven't seen it with any other notifications though (however I rarely get many other notifications).

Pratg007

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
Gurgaon
Apple has confirmed today that ios 16.3 will be rolled out by next week hopefully which should contain bug fix for the blank notif issue.

tyrone841

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Austria
Since it only happened occasionally, I can not yet say for sure if it has been fixed - but has not occurred yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.