Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
It overwrites the part of the file that specifies APPLE SSD with zeros thereby removing the artificial restriction put in place by Apple to only enable TRIM on Apple branded SSDs.

It is explained in better detail here.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
the terminal command didn't work for me... it asked for the password but then it did not let me type the password.

I installed the chamaleon app and worked perfectly. I love the possibility to disable sleep and how well it seems to work. Shame on apple, once again, not to support 3rd party drives.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
the terminal command didn't work for me... it asked for the password but then it did not let me type the password.

I installed the chamaleon app and worked perfectly. I love the possibility to disable sleep and how well it seems to work. Shame on apple, once again, not to support 3rd party drives.

Terminal doesn't show anything when typing in your password (by design). Just type your password in and hit enter.

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK

I had the same thing, in as much as what I typed wouldn't appear in the terminal box, but upon typing it all and pressing enter it appeared to accept it. I then put the second bit in and rebooted and now Trim is enabled :)

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here

Interesting, but that info is from 2011, and ssd's have developed a lot. Same with os versions... In my experience, after 3 years using ssd's, it doesn't make a big difference in performance, although i must say my ocz vertex2 ssd died just a month after the 3 year warranty was over...

I don't know really what I should do with my new samsung 840evo... Native trim system in the ssd chip, is supposed to make unecesary the trim enabler or the os managing that trim... But i also thing it shouldn't harm at all. Boot times seems the same, with trim enabled or disabled.

Any tips?

----------

I had the same thing, in as much as what I typed wouldn't appear in the terminal box, but upon typing it all and pressing enter it appeared to accept it. I then put the second bit in and rebooted and now Trim is enabled :)

still, that didn't work either in my laptop. It asked for the password again and again.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Interesting, but that info is from 2011, and ssd's have developed a lot. Same with os versions... In my experience, after 3 years using ssd's, it doesn't make a big difference in performance, although i must say my ocz vertex2 ssd died just a month after the 3 year warranty was over...

I don't know really what I should do with my new samsung 840evo... Native trim system in the ssd chip, is supposed to make unecesary the trim enabler or the os managing that trim... But i also thing it shouldn't harm at all. Boot times seems the same, with trim enabled or disabled.

Any tips?

My SSD is SF-enabled, so I won't touch that piece of software with 9-meter pole...there is just no need for it. OWC's answer still remains valid for any SSD using SandForce. As for others, no idea.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
solved the issue with the password and terminal; problem was textexpander capitalizing first word of the password... :eek:

trim enabled, local time machine disabled, hibernation disabled. not sure yet if enabling os trim is good or not, but my boot times are faster than ever; 5sec to shut down, 20 secs to boot up :cool:

the chamaleon app is great, even if you don't wanna enable trim.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
solved the issue with the password and terminal; problem was textexpander capitalizing first word of the password... :eek:

trim enabled, local time machine disabled, hibernation disabled. not sure yet if enabling os trim is good or not, but my boot times are faster than ever; 5sec to shut down, 20 secs to boot up :cool:

the chamaleon app is great, even if you don't wanna enable trim.

which SSD are u using? my Crucial M4 does booting up about 8 secs

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
which SSD are u using? my Crucial M4 does booting up about 8 secs

8 seconds? yes sure. in your dreams maybe. From pressing the power button, to have the system ready, with the dock loaded and all ogin apps running, that is impossible. no video in youtube shows that performance, otherwise, post a link here.

RumorsDesired

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Some Where USA
OSX 10.9 TRIM Command is

# for Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - 10.9
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x54)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

# now reboot!

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
From digitaldj.net:

"After a little inspection of this application, I found that instead of patching the file, it replaces an entire kernel extension. This means that when you use TRIM Enabler with Lion, it replaces a critical kernel extension, with lots of dependencies, with an older one (from Snow Leopard 10.6.8). This is bad. Very bad. While TRIM does become enabled, the kernel extension you now have has the potential to cause a ton of problems. That means anything from kernel panics, to disk I/O delays…and the dreaded spinning beach ball."

Also, I try not to install software that I don't need. I felt this was cleaner than having to install another app.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
[..]This means that when you use TRIM Enabler with Lion, it replaces a critical kernel extension, with lots of dependencies, with an older one (from Snow Leopard 10.6.8). [..]

Err... This does not sound very good, indeed! I just did a little digging. My Mac Mini has the modified kernel extension from TrimEnabler, whereas my Macbook Air has the original version.

Mac Mini reports:
Code:
$ kextstat | grep IOAHCIBlock
   53    0 0xffffff7f8132d000 0x17000    0x17000    com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (2.4.0) <37 15 6 5 4 3 1>

Macbook Air reports:
Code:
   50    0 0xffffff7f81321000 0x17000    0x17000    com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (2.4.0) <48 15 6 5 4 3 1>

It reports the same version, but it is linked to fewer code.

The original Externsion that comes with 10.9 has the md5sum of 8a6e253e621db78e1fa0d14274ade63c, just in case anyone is confused. All versions have exact the same size.

Now it's time to reboot... :D

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
8 seconds? yes sure. in your dreams maybe. From pressing the power button, to have the system ready, with the dock loaded and all ogin apps running, that is impossible. no video in youtube shows that performance, otherwise, post a link here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6e-ANgye30

The Microsoft Windows 8 hardware certification spec requires POST in less than 2 seconds with SSDs and less than 4 seconds with rotating media. Samsung has hardware that gets to POST in 500ms. So yes boot in even 5 seconds is doable.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6e-ANgye30

The Microsoft Windows 8 hardware certification spec requires POST in less than 2 seconds with SSDs and less than 4 seconds with rotating media. Samsung has hardware that gets to POST in 500ms. So yes boot in even 5 seconds is doable.

Where is the macbook sweetheart? Who would care of a windows machine boot, if the operating system and hardware are crap?

Ms-Dos can boot in just 2 seconds. But if you look at the very top of this website, it says MacRumors, where mac means apple mac computers. And the thread is called osx 10.9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSkda4XW3k

So just post a video of your macbook with 10.9 that you said it boots in 8 seconds, from pressing power buttom to system loaded and dock loaded. Either that or just admit you lied.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Where is the macbook sweetheart? Who would care of a windows machine boot, if the operating system and hardware are crap?

If? You're not certain?

Ms-Dos can boot in just 2 seconds. But if you look at the very top of this website, it says MacRumors, where mac means apple mac computers. And the thread is called osx 10.9

I can't run Firefox in DOS. DOS uses BIOS hardware which has very long POST times.

There's every reason to expect Apple hardware to be capable of 5 second boots. It's non-trivial work, but calling it impossible is absurd regardless of platform.

So just post a video of your macbook with 10.9 that you said it boots in 8 seconds, from pressing power buttom to system loaded and dock loaded. Either that or just admit you lied.

Congratulations Captain Obvious, I didn't say it boots in 8 seconds. That was someone else.

It's weird that you think someone booting their Mac in 8 seconds is a lie as if it's too good to be true, and yet hardware/OS's that can boot in 5 seconds are crap.

----------

And by the way, Mr. Wizard, "booting" is not ever considered to include launching arbitrary applications at login time.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

They turn off character echo while reading the password so others will not be able to see it as you type.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013

yes 8 seconds, ill get some videos up just for you.

do you see a loading ring when you boot up? because i don't

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
So just post a video of your macbook with 10.9 that you said it boots in 8 seconds, from pressing power buttom to system loaded and dock loaded.

I think he just means the loading time after the Apple logo appears (just only Mavericks itself). The EFI bootloader takes about 2-3 seconds.

My Macbook Air boots in 13 seconds, that is with Filevault enabled.

Anyway... If boot times were so important... I enjoy having a snappy OS that does not load everytime a dialog appears.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Macbook Pro 8,2 (2011) with Samsung 830, OS X 10.8.5, I'm getting roughly 6 seconds from black screen (you can see the LCD chrystals clear if the light's just right) to my disk password screen (filevault2). That's a bit long.

From hitting return on the password to login screen being ready to type my separate login password, it's 9 seconds.

So I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that new hardware running OS 9 without FV2, with a Samsung 840, can do a full boot to login screen in under 8 seconds including POST.

There's a common boot delay if you don't have the startup disk explicitly selected, which means there is either no entry, or a stale one, in NVRAM so the firmware has to find out what the startup disk is through other logic that includes looking at the HFS volume header.

----------

The EFI bootloader takes about 2-3 seconds.

The actual boot.efi file is 971K. It's executed in a fraction of a second. From the time boot.efi is being read, executed, kernel and prelinked extensions loaded, is maybe 2-3 seconds. Everything else time wise is taken up by loading over 100 processes that are OS X services.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
I will explain it again. It's extremely extremely simple, but as it seems like some people do not want to understand it, even being so simple.

Boot up= time from pressing the power button on the laptop, until the full system is loaded, with the dock fully loaded and startup applications completely loaded and running.

Now, it doesn0t matter if you say mine is 8seconds, mine is 6, i've seen one in 9seconds. This is not about talking, this is about showing. Show a real video, not tricked or with a increased speed in youtube.

Otherwise, I say mine boots up in 5 seconds, but with trim enabler is now booting in 3 seconds... Reality though is that it boots in 20 seconds, with external hard drives connected and a 1080p monitor connected to it and running. A real boot up.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I will explain it again. It's extremely extremely simple, but as it seems like some people do not want to understand it, even being so simple.

Boot up= time from pressing the power button on the laptop, until the full system is loaded, with the dock fully loaded and startup applications completely loaded and running.

Now, it doesn0t matter if you say mine is 8seconds, mine is 6, i've seen one in 9seconds. This is not about talking, this is about showing. Show a real video, not tricked or with a increased speed in youtube.

Otherwise, I say mine boots up in 5 seconds, but with trim enabler is now booting in 3 seconds... Reality though is that it boots in 20 seconds, with external hard drives connected and a 1080p monitor connected to it and running. A real boot up.

And this has to do with TRIM enabling how??? That is what the thread is about not boot and post times and some magical 8 second benchmark that you are so hooked on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.