Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

zero1304

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
It is connectet via hdmi, its a samsung m7 smart monitor. Only has hdmi and usb-c. But i have another monitor with display port. I will test it.
Does it only work with display port?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It is connectet via hdmi, its a samsung m7 smart monitor. Only has hdmi and usb-c. But i have another monitor with display port. I will test it.
Does it only work with display port?

Some RX 560 models are known for weird colors at pre-boot configuration with HDMI connected displays and a pink tint while running macOS, test with DisplayPort to see if the same behavior happens.

Also, check TechPowerUp to see if your GPU have firmware updates.

zero1304

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
Thank you, i will check and report later!

@tsialex thank you very much! Via displayport everything is just fine! Never thought that hdmi could be the problem here

2nd edit
Doesnt work on a 4k display, but works on a full hd display. No problem.
In a few weeks i will upgrade to rx6600

Last edited:
Reactions: Bmju and tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you, i will check and report later!

@tsialex thank you very much! Via displayport everything is just fine! Never thought that hdmi could be the problem here

2nd edit
Doesnt work on a 4k display, but works on a full hd display. No problem.
In a few weeks i will upgrade to rx6600

Please post the maker and model of your RX 560, so people will find it when searching for similar issues. Even better if you could take a photo of the label with PN/SKU/firmware version.

zero1304

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
Please post the maker and model of your RX 560, so people will find it when searching for similar issues. Even better if you could take a photo of the label with PN/SKU/firmware version.

Sapphire RX 560 4GB
IMG_0172.jpeg

Reactions: tsialex and Bmju

EricFromCanada

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2020
somewhere north of Toronto
I have a Sapphire RX 550 (Baffin core) originally with this vBIOS 113-367BF-U22 which works fine on macOS, but I haven't had success modifying its firmware to include EnableGop. Following these steps, I was able to:

1. update its GOP from 1.65 to 1.69, which it's running currently (attached)
2. split the file in half to avoid modifying its 2nd half
3. delete the VGA block and run atomdis before and after fixing the size values and table addresses (including the hidden one at 0x22 that wasn't listed)
4. recombine the modified 1st half with the original 2nd half
5. use ATOMTableResize to update the checksum (also attached)

But, this vBIOS wouldn't show a picture when installed on my cMP3,1, and when in my Windows 10 PC its Device Manager listed the card but didn't recognize it as anything more than a basic display adapter and wouldn't show a picture either. (Naturally, it also wouldn't work with the vBIOSes generated by running vBiosInsert.sh to insert EnableGop or EnableGopDirect v1.4 either.) Did I miss something, or is this card not compatible with the above process?

Attachments

• rx550baffin_gop169-working.rom.zip
    110.7 KB · Views: 16
  • rx550baffin_gop169_novga-NOTworking.rom.zip
    86.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Ausdauersportler

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
With stripped VGA driver you should get display output in a PC in UEFI startup mode (with OS with full UEFI support like Windows 8 and above, which do not need the VGA driver until OS is loaded) in correct resolution.

I'm not 100% sure, but it might work also with legacy boot, if the driver for videocard is installed before exchanging card/flashing VGA-less bios. But it will lack video output until OS is loaded and recovery environment not working.

If there exists a smaller GOP for your card or earlier, smaller version of EnableGOP: Better opt for it instead of removing VGA-part. But yes, it won't make it compatible to MP3.1, too.

jeanlion

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2023
I have a Sapphire RX 550 (Baffin core) originally with this vBIOS 113-367BF-U22 which works fine on macOS, but I haven't had success modifying its firmware to include EnableGop. Following these steps, I was able to:

1. update its GOP from 1.65 to 1.69, which it's running currently (attached)
2. split the file in half to avoid modifying its 2nd half
3. delete the VGA block and run atomdis before and after fixing the size values and table addresses (including the hidden one at 0x22 that wasn't listed)
4. recombine the modified 1st half with the original 2nd half
5. use ATOMTableResize to update the checksum (also attached)

But, this vBIOS wouldn't show a picture when installed on my cMP3,1, and when in my Windows 10 PC its Device Manager listed the card but didn't recognize it as anything more than a basic display adapter and wouldn't show a picture either. (Naturally, it also wouldn't work with the vBIOSes generated by running vBiosInsert.sh to insert EnableGop or EnableGopDirect v1.4 either.) Did I miss something, or is this card not compatible with the above process?
Mod with this vBIOS 113-367BF-U22 file,added EnableGOP,100% work with 2009-2012 Mac Pro,and your's rom GOP1.69 also added EnableGOP

Attachments

• 550final.rom.zip
    98.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 550.gop169.rom.zip
    99.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

EricFromCanada

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2020
somewhere north of Toronto
Thanks all for the feedback: tsialex for clarifying that EnableGop won't work for the cMP3,1 whether installed in either the Mac or GPU firmware (which the original post doesn't explicitly state), Borowski for confirming it should work and suggesting the use of an older version, and jeanlion for posting their own modified firmware files. I've since patched in EnableGop 1.1 which fits in the RX550 vBIOS without having to remove the VGA section. It still works on my cMP3,1 for macOS and Windows (BIOS mode) as long as one doesn't hold Option during boot, and also works in my EFI-based PC. If I find a compatible Pro to test it in I'll update this post.

Attachments

• rx550_gop169_egop11.zip
    122.1 KB · Views: 5

grandosegood

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
hey all, this is amazing work here! i'm new to mac modding but have been using hackintoshes for some time.

the instructions are a bit unclear on github. do i first dump my mac rom with rom dumper, pack in enablegop 1.4 ffs from github to make a custom rom, then flash it back with rom dumper? thanks

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
hey all, this is amazing work here! i'm new to mac modding but have been using hackintoshes for some time.

the instructions are a bit unclear on github. do i first dump my mac rom with rom dumper, pack in enablegop 1.4 ffs from github to make a custom rom, then flash it back with rom dumper? thanks
Thats basically it. Lance made a very detailed video:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thats basically it. Lance made a very detailed video:

Great video indeed, and thanks for your ROMtool / dedication to the Mac Pro community.

Can this tutorial be used for a Mac Pro 5,1 using OCLP 0.6.8 and macOS Ventura? I'm on the edge flashing my Mac Pro 5.1 (mid-2012) with a currently installed a Mac EFI flashed EVGA GTX-680 4GB FTW upgrading to a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB. I'm a bit confused by the Open Core (OC) and Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP) what I use.

Thanks in advance.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Great video indeed, and thanks for your ROMtool / dedication to the Mac Pro community.

Can this tutorial be used for a Mac Pro 5,1 using OCLP 0.6.8 and macOS Ventura? I'm on the edge flashing my Mac Pro 5.1 (mid-2012) with a currently installed a Mac EFI flashed EVGA GTX-680 4GB FTW upgrading to a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB. I'm a bit confused by the Open Core (OC) and Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP) what I use.

Thanks in advance.

You can use it with OC, with OCLP and without them. If you have a supported OS (High Sierra, Mojave) available, then use this to read and write the firmware. If you use High Sierra, pull the other drives temporarily not to run into the Preboot issue (https://github.com/Macschrauber/Macschrauber-s-Rom-Dump/blob/main/Rename_and_repair_preboot.md)

leo015

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2016
Would this have anything to do or help with corrupt display (display splitting into four, whiteish) on Win10 when installing proprietary AMD drivers? (ATI 4670, iMac 10,1). External monitor connected via mini-DP works like a charm. Built in monitor is messed up.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
You can use it with OC, with OCLP and without them. If you have a supported OS (High Sierra, Mojave) available, then use this to read and write the firmware. If you use High Sierra, pull the other drives temporarily not to run into the Preboot issue (https://github.com/Macschrauber/Macschrauber-s-Rom-Dump/blob/main/Rename_and_repair_preboot.md)

Thank you for your swift reply. Downloaded the required files and made a backup of the Mac Pro 5,1 bootrom. May I ask you or @tsialex - like Lance mentioned in his video - to have a look at my rom backup .bin file as a final safety measurement before creating the new rom and flashing it into the bootrom? There are a few things that differ from the output Lance showed in his tutorial. Thanks in advance.

leo015

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2016
Not even a supported GOP GPU, will do nothing.

EnableGop is just to provide pre-boot configuration support with modern GPUs, nothing to do with Windows after it is loaded.
Thanks for your reply, now I get it. Can you think of any solution or what's causing my problem? I dual boot Ventura and UEFI W10 with Opencore. When using MS Basic Display Adapter, the built in monitor works as it should, but no external monitor output. If I install AMD drivers, then the built in monitor is corrupted but I do have output externally.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for your reply, now I get it. Can you think of any solution or what's causing my problem? I dual boot Ventura and UEFI W10 with Opencore. When using MS Basic Display Adapter, the built in monitor works as it should, but no external monitor output. If I install AMD drivers, then the built in monitor is corrupted but I do have output externally.

This is a driver issue, you should try the Apple BootCamp drivers to see if the issue can be resolved. People with the same iMac maybe have a workaround, search/post on the iMac forum.

Reactions: trifero

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for your swift reply. Downloaded the required files and made a backup of the Mac Pro 5,1 bootrom. May I ask you or @tsialex - like Lance mentioned in his video - to have a look at my rom backup .bin file as a final safety measurement before creating the new rom and flashing it into the bootrom? There are a few things that differ from the output Lance showed in his tutorial. Thanks in advance.

I've sent you a PM.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Mc_Mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
Hello all,

After a botched update of Martin Lo's OC package, my 5,1 wouldn't boot Mac anymore. Somehow managed to boot into Windows (10) for some time trying to fix opencore (was able to fix a typo in the plist) but then at some point who ld stop booting altogether (no more bootpicker on my 6800xt).
Today, found my gt120 card again and installed Mojave onto a new ssd (now opencore install yet). Then used @Macschrauber's RomDump tool to be greeted with this:

Invalid VSS Store 1 header (serious issue!)

Idea is to perform enableGoP and then switch back to my original SSD (with OC) + rx6800xt. (And rebless opencore as I I understand?)

What are my options?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Cheers,
Ingo.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
If it is a crossflashed 4.1 Mac Pro, it can't be fixed by doin' a deep PRAM reset (multiple reset).

Best way to fix this issue is rebuilding the bootrom.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello all,

After a botched update of Martin Lo's OC package, my 5,1 wouldn't boot Mac anymore. Somehow managed to boot into Windows (10) for some time trying to fix opencore (was able to fix a typo in the plist) but then at some point who ld stop booting altogether (no more bootpicker on my 6800xt).
Today, found my gt120 card again and installed Mojave onto a new ssd (now opencore install yet). Then used @Macschrauber's RomDump tool to be greeted with this:

Invalid VSS Store 1 header (serious issue!)

Idea is to perform enableGoP and then switch back to my original SSD (with OC) + rx6800xt. (And rebless opencore as I I understand?)

What are my options?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Cheers,
Ingo.

When you have a Windows boot coup and you can't boot macOS after a NVRAM reset, your NVRAM volume is corrupted (you already know that) and is probably read-only already. You gonna need the BootROM reconstruction service.

Reactions: trifero and Mc_Mac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.