Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks!

Just started the HighSierra installer, and it went straight to Firmware update. So i tried that. Hope it works.

I will try the EFI rebuild again after that.

Is there any way to reconstruct the EFI if there is still some corruption there?

Yes.

After the update it reads MP51.0089.B00

I was under assumption it would read something else?

High Sierra most recent BootROM is MP51.0089.B00, while Mojave is 144.0.0.0.0. You need to update it to 144.0.0.0.0 before injecting EnableGop.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Yes.

High Sierra most recent BootROM is MP51.0089.B00, while Mojave is 144.0.0.0.0. You need to update it to 144.0.0.0.0 before injecting EnableGop.
Thanks again!

I found another GPU and managed to run the Mojave installer to get the EFI update.
Still getting that error message on the EFI so i guess i will have to fix the EFI before i inject the GPU / bootscreen code in to the EFI.

(the EFI firmware was from 4.1-4.1-5.1-high sierra - mojave updated in one day, so there seems to be some cross-flashing-problems there)

I dont know if this will affect the rebuild of the EFI, to add the GPU drivers in to the EFI, but there is a warning message on the machine when running the script that downloads the EFI from the Mac Pro.

//GF

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks again!

I found another GPU and managed to run the Mojave installer to get the EFI update.
Still getting that error message on the EFI so i guess i will have to fix the EFI before i inject the GPU / bootscreen code in to the EFI.

(the EFI firmware was from 4.1-4.1-5.1-high sierra - mojave updated in one day, so there seems to be some cross-flashing-problems there)

I dont know if this will affect the rebuild of the EFI, to add the GPU drivers in to the EFI, but there is a warning message on the machine when running the script that downloads the EFI from the Mac Pro.

//GF

It's a cross-flashed early-2009, this mess is nothing unexpected. I'll send you a PM with the most recent BootROM reconstruction service instructions/service cost/turnaround time.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
It's a cross-flashed early-2009, this mess is nothing unexpected. I'll send you a PM with the most recent BootROM reconstruction service instructions/service cost/turnaround time.

Thanks Alex!

Do you think it will be a brick if i try to do the EFI modification without fixing the problem first?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks Alex!

Do you think it will be a brick if i try to do the EFI modification without fixing the problem first?

This is highly of-topic for this thread, but since other people can have this in the future, I'll explain the issue.

First thing, the MP4,1 BootROM NVRAM volume is designed differently than the one from MP51 firmwares:

NVRAM volume stores:MacPro4,1:MacPro5,1:
VSS:only oneprimary and secondary
FTW:present and works storing data about garbage collection runs.placeholder
Fsys:present, stores hardware IDs and hardware descriptorpresent, stores hardware IDs and hardware descriptor
Gaid:presentpresent

The cross-flashing is a flawed process in itself since the MP4,1 NVRAM volume is designed and works differently than the MP5,1 one, the cross-flashing process does nothing about that and overtime the NVRAM volume corrupts itself and you have a brick to repair.

The warning about the secondary VSS store having a header corrupt is the first sign of a corrupted NVRAM volume.

Seems you started from one that already had issues and the cross-flashing piled upon. You gonna need to repair it before anything.

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
One more clue showing that the card have a mining firmware.

Yes, but only with Windows or Linux.
Oh boy.. I need to know what bios to flash on my RX580 card.. Heres a pic
rx580 bios Fron ebay 1 Ellesmere.gif

Thanks Alex

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Oh boy.. I need to know what bios to flash on my RX580 card.. Heres a pic
View attachment 2356089
Thanks Alex

No one can guess that for you based on just this screenshot, you have to investigate.

You can wholesale test each one of the GPU firmwares available on TechPowerUp and find one that works with your card, or you can remove the heatsink and and see the exact VRAM chip the card has and then narrow it down to the dumps with the same VRAM maker, this will greatly minimize the number of tests you gonna need to do and you can also clean/repaste/change thermal pads/etc your GPU.

Btw do not assume that since your card heatsink have a label with the part number that your card is that exact one unless the tamperproof label over the screws are immaculate. People who have crypto mining rigs frequently change heatsinks between cards. Do not assume anything, double check everything.

This thread already have all the info on previous posts, just browse it. Doing this is a lot of work, but is the price you pay to buy a second hand GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
No one can say that for you, you have to investigate. You can test each one of the GPU firmwares avaliable TechPowerUp and find one that works with your card, or you can remove the heatsink and and see the exact VRAM chip the card has and then narrow it down to the dumps with the same VRAM model.

This thread have all the info in previous posts already, just browse it until you find it. Doing this is a lot of work, but is the price you pay to buy a second hand GPU.
Thanks!

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Dude, you already posted that 3 times…
Sorry about that.

UPDATE:

Alex!
Holly Crap I did it! I flash the bios on these cards using a cMP 5,1!!!
The only bios that would take was: Sapphire.RX580.8192.171120.rom

1. I put the RX580 in the 5,1 and I use an original apple AMD card to boot into windows to do this!

2. I took a second cMP and used it to power the apple amd card!.

3. The bios was wrong and now enableGOP works with both RX580 cards!!!

4. Sonoma and Windows 11 ALL working great!! Thanks!!

Note: This was the only bios that would take for my cards

Last edited:
Reactions: tsialex and Bmju

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Sorry about that.

UPDATE:

Alex!
Holly Crap I did it! I flash the bios on these cards using a cMP 5,1!!!
The only bios that would take was: Sapphire.RX580.8192.171120.rom

1. I put the RX580 in the 5,1 and I use an original apple AMD card to boot into windows to do this!

2. I took a second cMP and used it to power the apple amd card!.

3. The bios was wrong and now enableGOP works with both RX580 cards!!!

4. Sonoma and Windows 11 ALL working great!! Thanks!!

Note: This was the only bios that would take for my cards
Thank you for providing all that info to help sort this out @tsialex , great job!

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Thank you for providing all that info to help sort this out @tsialex , great job!
Thanks!
I spoke a little to soon:
unfortunately, I still have a serious issue because when I Patch the system with OCLP 1.4.0n and restart I get only a black screen!
Also, I tried to Patch Monterey and Ventura and no good there as well.
Any one have any ideas?
Thanks!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks!
I spoke a little to soon:
unfortunately, I still have a serious issue because when I Patch the system with OCLP 1.4.0n and restart I get only a black screen!
Also, I tried to Patch Monterey and Ventura and no good there as well.
Any one have any ideas?
Thanks!

Again, you should test with Mojave without booting OpenCore. Faster, simpler, does not involve variables that you do not control.

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Again, you should test with Mojave without booting OpenCore. Faster, simpler, does not involve variables that you do not control.
Oh I did Alex, Everything works in Mojave, Its the patcher with these PC rx580's.
Also, the oclp Patcher works great for Mac Flashed rx580 cards.

Am I the only one with these issues using the PC versions of the rx580's?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Oh I did Alex, Everything works in Mojave, Its the patcher with these PC rx580's.
Also, the oclp Patcher works great for Mac Flashed rx580 cards.

Am I the only one with these issues using the PC versions of the rx580's?

If the GPU works perfectly with Mojave, should work at least with Monterey installed manually. If the GPU works with Mojave, your issue is with OCLP. OCLP is releasing a new version today and there are various caveats, read the release post.

Anyway, this is not correct thread to discuss these OCLP related issues.

Reactions: MacRumors3590

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
If the GPU works perfectly with Mojave, should work at least with Monterey installed manually. If the GPU works with Mojave, your issue is with OCLP. OCLP is releasing a new version today and there are various caveats, read the release post.

Anyway, this is not correct thread to discuss these OCLP related issues.
One more thing Alex, The Flashed for mac rx580's do NOT work with enableGOP. Black screen.
This is not an issue because on those machines I don't use enableGOP.
Cheers!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
One more thing Alex, The Flashed for mac rx580's do NOT work with enableGOP. Black screen.
This is not an issue because on those machines I don't use enableGOP.
Cheers!

I've already explained to you here that MacVidCards based cards and any eBay with stolen MacVidCards firmware are NOT compatible with EnableGop.

Reactions: MacRumors3590

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
If it works with EnableGop showing the native boot picker with ALT key, that theoretically should work regardless of OCLP updates, as that all happens before OCLP starts.

Then if you get a black screen on OCLP, the OCLP AMD GOP option sounds like a suspect. If you can start some OS, maybe you can find the relevant driver in /EFI/OC/config.plist of your ESP partition and change the setting for that driver from Enabled true to Enabled false.

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
I've already explained to you here that MacVidCards based cards and any eBay with stolen MacVidCards firmware are NOT compatible with EnableGop.
Ive been doing so much testing with enableGOP Machines and without that the PC rx580's do NOT boot Mojave on my enableGOP Machine so theres the answer lol
I guess I have MacVidCards cards,
Bummer!
I'll have to get them flashed for Mac.
Cheers

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
If it works with EnableGop showing the native boot picker with ALT key, that theoretically should work regardless of OCLP updates, as that all happens before OCLP starts.

Then if you get a black screen on OCLP, the OCLP AMD GOP option sounds like a suspect. If you can start some OS, maybe you can find the relevant driver in /EFI/OC/config.plist of your ESP partition and change the setting for that driver from Enabled true to Enabled false.
Thanks!
Ive been doing so much testing with enableGOP Machines and without that the PC rx580's do NOT boot Mojave on my enableGOP Machine so theres the answer lol

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks!

If you try to boot Mojave with a Mac that have OCLP, you won't boot it. Mojave is not supported when OCLP spoofs 2019 Mac Pro to run newer macOS releases (2019 Mac Pro only works after Catalina 10.15.1).

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Final:
1. Mojave boots with a pc rx580 on a Non-enableGOP Machine.
2. Mojave will not boot with a pc rx580 on a enableGOP Machine.
Does this mean I have a MacVidCards firmware card?
thanks!

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
If you try to boot Mojave with a Mac that have OCLP, you won't boot it. Mojave is not supported when OCLP spoofs 2019 Mac Pro to run newer macOS releases (2019 Mac Pro only works after Catalina 10.15.1).
yes true I know that thanks

here what I found just now...
1. Mojave boots with a pc rx580 on a Non-enableGOP Machine.
2. Mojave will not boot with a pc rx580 on a enableGOP Machine.
Does this mean I have a MacVidCards firmware card?
thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.