Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I'm new at enableGOP, I was able to flash the bootRom and it works with all my cards except my RX580 Saphire w/ DVI 2 hdmi and 2 DP.. I get no video at all?
Do I need to use EnableGopDirect_1.4.ffs?
Note: I have 2 flashed RX580's and they work great without enableGOP but with enableGOP I get zero video.
Thanks
This is the first time I have heard of EnableGop stopping something working which worked before ... or at least, it is since the fixes to GopBurstMode ... however, since that comes to mind my first suggestion would be to try adding EnableGop 1.1 (see p.1 instructions, Releases) to the original boot rom, and flashing that instead.

Usually the difference between EnableGop and EnableGopDirect is corrupt but just about usable (EnableGop) vs. not corrupt but slower (EnableGopDirect) pre-boot video display, on cards which need EnableGopDirect, so it's probably not that.

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
This is the first time I have heard of EnableGop stopping something working which worked before ... or at least, it is since the fixes to GopBurstMode ... however, since that comes to mind my first suggestion would be to try adding EnableGop 1.1 (see p.1 instructions, Releases) to the original boot rom, and flashing that instead.

Usually the difference between EnableGop and EnableGopDirect is corrupt but just about usable (EnableGop) vs. not corrupt but slower (EnableGopDirect) pre-boot video display, on cards which need EnableGopDirect, so it's probably not that.
thanks for the fast reply, I started with a version I got from this youtube page and when that didn't work with my 580's I went to EnableGop_1.4.ffs.. where can i find EnableGop 1.1?
THanks

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
You need to go to https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases and download the 0.9.0 release, then get the .ffs file from the Utilities/EnableGop directory.
Thanks! I'll try that file but I think its the same file I tried the second time..
What seems to happen is when I boot the cMP 5,1 the card doesn't respond at all.
This only happens when my bootrom is flashed with enebleGOP so I know its not my RX580's.

Last edited:

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
You need to go to https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases and download the 0.9.0 release, then get the .ffs file from the Utilities/EnableGop directory.
Ok I now flashed 3 different 5,1 machines with enableGOP and I used the suggested file you gave the link for and same result. My AMD R9 280x and my GTX680 work great with enableGOP but my 4 Saphire RX580's (2 mac flashed 2 without) don't work with enableGOP.
What the heck could this be? I bought the 4 580's so I could use them with enableGOP.
Can you think of anything else I might be doing wrong?
Thanks

EDIT: I kinda remember someone saying that the RX580 need to be in GAME Mode? There is no physical switch on my cards.

Last edited:

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Ok I now flashed 3 different 5,1 machines with enableGOP and I used the suggested file you gave the link for and same result. My AMD R9 280x and my GTX680 work great with enableGOP but my 4 Saphire RX580's (2 mac flashed 2 without) don't work with enableGOP.
What the heck could this be? I bought the 4 580's so I could use them with enableGOP.
Thanks

EDIT: I kinda remember someone saying that the RX580 need to be in GAME Mode? There is no physical switch on my cards.
It is surprising to me too. I'm hoping someone on here with knowledge of these GPUs can suggest something!

The basic logic should be, if the cards show the OpenCore boot picker with OpenCore then they should be able to show the Apple native boot picker with EnableGop. (And you only need EnableGopDirect if you need DirectGopRendering in OpenCore to get a non-corrupted boot menu display.)

Questions would be:

- Are you using OCLP, or manually configured OpenCore?
- If you are using OCLP, are you using their AMD Enable GOP option?
- Are you using GopBurstMode in OpenCore?

To answer the above three, perhaps you could send your config.plist (to this thread, ideally removing serial numbers form the PlatformInfo section; or by PM to me if you prefer).

Then also could you confirm exactly what happens with the following:

- Do the problem cards work in OpenCore (and macOS) without EnableGop?
- When you have added EnableGop, but with normal (non-problem) cards, can you definitely get the Apple native bootpicker by pressing and holding ALT on startup? And the OpenCore bootpicker (either directly, if you don't press ALT; or by selecting from the Apple picker, if you do press ALT)?
- And when you do have EnableGop, what do the problem cards do? No graphics on booting whether or not you press and hold ALT? Or just no graphics when you press and hold ALT?

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I'm new at enableGOP, I was able to flash the bootRom and it works with all my cards except my RX580 Saphire w/ DVI 2 hdmi and 2 DP.. I get no video at all?
Do I need to use EnableGopDirect_1.4.ffs?

Note: I have 2 flashed RX580's and they work great without enableGOP but with enableGOP I get zero video.
I also have 2 RX580's that are not flashed and I want to use them with enableGOP.

Thanks
Are your two RX 580's that are not EFI flashed used? Could they possibly not have the factory VBIOS but have been used for mining?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks

MacVidCards GPUs or GPUs from eBay that are based on MacVidCards firmware usually does not work with EnableGop.

It's a case by case, but my recommendation if you have a MacVidCards GPU is not inject EnableGop to the MacPro BootROM.

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Are your two RX 580's that are not EFI flashed used? Could they possibly not have the factory VBIOS but have been used for mining?
I'm not sure if these cards have factory VBIOS but my 2 RX580's NON-Mac Flashed work just fine with High Sierra and Mojave but not windows 11 and Sonoma.

High Sierra and Mojave boot into a login screen and are not effected by enableGOP and work fine.
I think i'm narrowing it down. If the PC GPU Card works for High Sierra and Mojave does this help to figure this nightmare out? lol
Thanks!

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
MacVidCards GPUs or GPUs from eBay that are based on MacVidCards firmware usually does not work with EnableGop.

It's a case by case, but my recommendation if you have a MacVidCards GPU is not inject EnableGop to the MacPro BootROM.
Hi, I'm not sure but,

High Sierra and Mojave boot into a login screen and are not effected by enableGOP and work fine.
I think i'm narrowing it down. If the PC GPU Card works for High Sierra and Mojave does this help to figure this nightmare out? lol
Thanks!

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
It is surprising to me too. I'm hoping someone on here with knowledge of these GPUs can suggest something!

The basic logic should be, if the cards show the OpenCore boot picker with OpenCore then they should be able to show the Apple native boot picker with EnableGop. (And you only need EnableGopDirect if you need DirectGopRendering in OpenCore to get a non-corrupted boot menu display.)

Questions would be:

- Are you using OCLP, or manually configured OpenCore?
- If you are using OCLP, are you using their AMD Enable GOP option?
- Are you using GopBurstMode in OpenCore?

To answer the above three, perhaps you could send your config.plist (to this thread, ideally removing serial numbers form the PlatformInfo section; or by PM to me if you prefer).

Then also could you confirm exactly what happens with the following:

- Do the problem cards work in OpenCore (and macOS) without EnableGop?
- When you have added EnableGop, but with normal (non-problem) cards, can you definitely get the Apple native bootpicker by pressing and holding ALT on startup? And the OpenCore bootpicker (either directly, if you don't press ALT; or by selecting from the Apple picker, if you do press ALT)?
- And when you do have EnableGop, what do the problem cards do? No graphics on booting whether or not you press and hold ALT? Or just no graphics when you press and hold ALT?
Wow, thanks for all this info!

1. I'm using oclp 1.4 nightly build. I turn on "AMD Enable GOP option" and still nothing.
2. Where is GopBurstMode in OpenCore? I'm using oclp which works fine with a flashed 580 GPU but I get nothing with a non mac flashed RX580. Puzzling,

3. High Sierra and Mojave boot into a login screen and are not effected by enableGOP and work fine.
Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, I'm not sure but,

Thanks!

This does not make sense since EnableGop and MacVidCards only block pre-boot configuration support, the GPU works after macOS loads the drivers.

Maybe you have defective GPUs or you have RX 580 2048SPs that are not compatible with macOS. These are in reality RX 570 GPUs which the GPU firmware was factory modified for the Chinese market.

Now with AliExpress, these 2048SPs GPUs are everywhere and macOS DOES NOT support it, macOS release won't matter - it's not supported, period.

See a Sapphire RX 580 2048SPs, that does not work with macOS:

gpu-z.gif

Reactions: Bmju

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
1. I would like to add that if I remove all drives and boot up with just a Sonoma USB Installer it works!!
2. If I try to install Sonoma thats works too but when the machine restarts I get a Black screen only

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
1. I would like to add that if I remove all drives and boot up with just a Sonoma USB Installer it works!!
2. If I try to install Sonoma thats works too but when the machine restarts I get a Black screen only

Test with Mojave, forget OCLP and unsupported macOS releases, you will unnecessarily complicate your diagnostic process.

Reactions: MacRumors3590

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
This does not make sense since EnableGop and MacVidCards only block pre-boot configuration support, the GPU works after macOS loads the drivers.

Maybe you have defective GPUs or you have RX 580 2048SPs that are not compatible with macOS. These are in reality RX 570 GPUs which the GPU firmware was factory modified for the Chinese market.

Now with AliExpress, these 2048SPs GPUs are everywhere and macOS DOES NOT support it, macOS release won't matter - it's not supported, period.

See a Sapphire RX 580 2048SPs, that does not work with macOS:

View attachment 2353831
I'll check that now! But, If these cards are not supported why do they boot into High Sierra and Mojave?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'll check that now! But, If these cards are not supported why do they boot into High Sierra and Mojave?

Lot's of things could be wrong, like a GPU flashed with a mining firmware or even a MacVidCards firmware flashed to a 2048SPs GPU that only provide a working display via MacEFI fail safe drivers - the display works but the GPU is not really working, since no drivers are loaded and is un-accelerated.

A RX 580 2048SPs installed to a MacPro that have EnableGop injected also will have the same behavior. Check the GPU with Windows + GPU-Z. You'll have to diagnose it.

Btw, for Ventura and Sonoma issues, you will get better help asking on OCLP Discord server.

Reactions: Bmju

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Lot's of things could be wrong, like a GPU flashed with a mining firmware or even a MacVidCards firmware flashed to a 2048SPs GPU that only provide a working display via macEFI fail safe drivers - the display works but the GPU is not really working, no drivers are loaded and is un-accelerated. A RX 580 2048SPs installed to a MacPro that have EnableGop injected also will have the same behavior.

You'll have to diagnose it.

Btw, for Ventura and Sonoma issues, you will get better help asking on OCLP Discord server.
ok thanks!
I'm going to boot into Windows and run that AMD app and see

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Lot's of things could be wrong, like a GPU flashed with a mining firmware or even a MacVidCards firmware flashed to a 2048SPs GPU that only provide a working display via MacEFI fail safe drivers - the display works but the GPU is not really working, since no drivers are loaded and is un-accelerated.

A RX 580 2048SPs installed to a MacPro that have EnableGop injected also will have the same behavior. Check the GPU with Windows + GPU-Z. You'll have to diagnose it.

Update:
Well turns out I can only boot into Mojave and HS... Look like the VBIOS on the 2 PC RX580 cards are only semi-compatible with my setup.
I tried to boot into windows 10 but no go there and I dont have a windows machine.
Here's a pic of one of the cards.
Do you think I can flash these cards?
Thanks for your and everyones help here!
IMG_8092.JPG

IMG_8089.JPG

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Update:
Well turns out I can only boot into Mojave and HS... Look like the VBIOS on the 2 PC RX580 cards are only semi-compatible with my setup.
I tried to boot into windows 10 but no go there.
Here's a pic of one of the cards.
Thanks for your and everyones help here!
View attachment 2353951

View attachment 2353952

Sapphire part number 11265-05 is for the real Sapphire Pulse RX 580 2304SPs, 0x67df 0x00e7, if the GPU firmware is unmodified, works fine with macOS.

If it's not working, or the GPU is defective or someone flashed a mining firmware. Try to re-flash it with the correct GPU firmware from TechPowerUp.

If you can't boot Windows, use a PC that have integrated GPU or try to boot Linux. There are previous posts here with everything outlined already.

BTW, do you have BootPicker if the card is installed to a Mac Pro with EnableGop injected?

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Sapphire part number 11265-05 is for the real Sapphire Pulse RX 580 2304SPs, 0x67df 0x00e7, if the GPU firmware is unmodified, works fine with macOS.

If it's not working, or the GPU is defective or someone flashed a mining firmware. Try to re-flash it with the correct GPU firmware from TechPowerUp.

If you can't boot Windows, use a PC that have integrated GPU or try to boot Linux. There are previous posts here with everything outlined already.

BTW, do you have BootPicker if the card is installed to a Mac Pro with EnableGop injected?
no Alex, no bootpicker ever with or without using enableGop injected, but the good news is they are the real version of these cards!

Is it really possible to flash these in a cMP 5,1?
I don't own a PC Machine.
Thanks!

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
I just tried to update the Mac Pro 4.1 (B04) to (B07) and then to 5.1 firmware.

All came out good.

However, then i upgraded CPUs and wanted to go on with the OpenGOP thing and there is a message:
""the header of the second stream is broken""

is this a problem?

Another thing is that i cant seem to find the update to the latest firmware from apple, the one that is automatically installed with mojave.

Anyone has link to this firmware update?

Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Another thing is that i cant seem to find the update to the latest firmware from apple, the one that is automatically installed with mojave.

Anyone has link to this firmware update?

Thanks!

Mac Pros before MacPro6,1 do not have automatic firmware updates, it's done manually opening the macOS installer. Read here:

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Mac Pros before MacPro6,1 do not have automatic firmware updates, it's done manually opening the macOS installer. Read here:

Thanks!

Just started the HighSierra installer, and it went straight to Firmware update. So i tried that. Hope it works.

I will try the EFI rebuild again after that.

Is there any way to reconstruct the EFI if there is still some corruption there?

After the update it reads MP51.0089.B00

I was under assumption it would read something else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.