Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
They are both firmware, and both 'bios' (at least speaking loosely), and both EFI.
If you've already burnt your MacPro firmware, when upgrading from 4,1 to 5,1, or after boot rom cleaning service from @tsialex, then why not do the same again? You also get the advantage that very many different GPUs will all work for the native firmware UI (incl. native boot picker) from then on. But if you prefer to burn it to the GPU (and if it's not an AMD with too little space), then go ahead - it's your machine.
When we have taken risks, does not mean that we should take them as much as possible.
That's why they are called risks. Every time is a risk.

But you do have a point here: if planning to use multiple GPUs, value of them might easilyexceed the value of cMP's motherboard.

It seems that even here in EU, professionals and companies are getting rid of their mp5,1s more and more. So it is now easier and cheaper to get a replacement.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
For all effects, the Mac Pro BootROM is read only. With the exception to the VSS stores inside the NVRAM volume, no one can modify it without entering Firmware Programming Mode.
Do you remember what is WORM?

Have I something mixed up, when I think "firmware" update is writing to BootROM?

So, we need a new name for this media: WFTRM!
Write few times - read many.

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
At least for the iMacs the NVRAM and the BootROM (aka EFI firmware) reside in the flash memory of the SMC (System Management Controller).
Flash memory is technically a special type of EEPROM, as it has to be erased before writing to it (without erasing first only 1's can be turned into 0's).

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
At least for the iMacs the NVRAM together with the SMC firmware (responsible mainly for power management) and the BootROM (aka EFI firmware) reside in the flash memory of the SMC (System Management Controller).
Flash memory is technically a special type of EEPROM, as it has to be erased before writing to it (without erasing first only 1's can be turned into 0's).

iMacs also have the NVRAM volume inside of the main SPI flash memory where the BootROM is stored and the main SPI flash memory is directly connected to the southbridge (earlier Intel Macs up to Westmere) or to the PCH (Sandy Bridge and later ones). No SMC involvement at all.

AFAIK, the only Intel Macs post 2007ish that have the NVRAM elsewhere of the main SPI flash memory are the T2 based ones and then the AS Macs. T2 Macs for legacy compatibility reasons also have a copy of the NVRAM outside of T2, but the main NVRAM is inside and T2 managed.

SMC and the SMC firmware are completely independent of the BootROM/NVRAM. SMC runs inside a secure microcontroller that is independent (and always powered on, so it is always monitoring) to the Intel processor. The SMC firmware is flashed internally to the Renesas H8S F2117TE20H microcontroller, the most commonly used as a SMC with Macs and have only 160KB of capacity:

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 21.32.48.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bmju

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
For example, this is the 2011 iMac12,1 SMC:

iMacSMC.jpg

The secure microcontroller that acts as SMC is the Renesas F2117TE20H H8S/2117V and is the exact same one as the MacPro5,1, but BGA instead of 144-pin TQFP. The early-2008 and late-2013 Mac Pros are also BGA like this iMac.

Back side of the same 2011 iMac12,1 logic board, this is the BootROM/NVRAM SPI flash memory (64Mb, double of the size of MacPro5,1, sames as MacPro6,1):
iMacSPI.jpg

I don't have a flashrom dump for this iMac12,1, so let's take a look at the signed capsule used for EFI firmware upgrades IM121_004D_00B_LOCKED.scap.

iMac_BootROM_NVRAMvolume.png

This is the signed capsule of the BootROM opened with UEFITool, see the NVRAM volume (GUID FFF12B8D-7696-4C8B-A985-2747075B4F50) inside the BootROM.

BootROM/NVRAM have to be connected to the southbridge/PCH and etc.

Reactions: crjackson2134

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
What is the "official" name of this method?
"Enable GOP"?

Does this method widen in some way the compatibility of GPU's with different OS version in cMP?
Like listed in here:

Is it still that you need two GPU cards; one for running old OS and one for the new one?

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Thank you.
How about putting these to the first post?
They aren't questions that have come up much. I would probably leave these answers in the thread which people with the same questions can search for. Thank you.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
They aren't questions that have come up much. I would probably leave these answers in the thread which people with the same questions can search for. Thank you.
I think the basic things would help people to get involved.

Now this thread and thereby the whole EnableGop has narrower following, because it's so nerdy.

You essentially published a book without a title or a cover.

If this is what you want, by all means, do not name your project.
'nuff said.

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I think the basic things would help people to get involved.

Now this thread and thereby the whole EnableGop has narrower following, because it's so nerdy.

You essentially published a book without a title or a cover.

If this is what you want, by all means, do not name your project.
'nuff said.
Well in case it helps people find it or understand it better, I added EnableGop to the thread title.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

seijits

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
Hello!

I understand that EnableGOP is for iMacs and Mac Pros. However, is it possible to enable the early macOS boot progress bar on a Windows PC as well?
Currently, I am trying to set up Big Sur from OpenCore in an environment where nVIDIA NVS 510 is the only video board, but I can only see a black screen.

seijits

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
Hello!

I understand that EnableGOP is for iMacs and Mac Pros. However, is it possible to enable the early macOS boot progress bar on a Windows PC as well?
Currently, I am trying to set up Big Sur from OpenCore in an environment where nVIDIA NVS 510 is the only video board, but I can only see a black screen.
To be precise, the Boot picker is displayed, and after selecting Install, the macOS boot progress bar is displayed for a while, after which only a Black screen is displayed.
The debug log of OpenCore is interrupted in the middle of the boot, so the configuration of OpenCore is in the middle of the setting, but even if that problem did not exist, I understand that NVS 510 has a symptom where the macOS boot progress bar disappears in the middle.

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Hello!

The way EnableGop works is very specific to the firmware of these ~2009-2012 Mac models, so there's no chance it can work as is on non-Apple firmware (nor even on Apple firmware of a different generation). It's also worth recalling that EnableGop delivers parts of OpenCore's graphics support, so it can't achieve anything different, once it's started, than OpenCore alone can achieve, once it's started.

Reactions: seijits

seijits

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
The way EnableGop works is very specific to the firmware of these ~2009-2012 Mac models, so there's no chance it can work as is on non-Apple firmware (nor even on Apple firmware of a different generation). It's also worth recalling that EnableGop delivers parts of OpenCore's graphics support, so it can't achieve anything different, once it's started, than OpenCore alone can achieve, once it's started.
Thank you for your reply. It’s a bit disappointing though.
Well, If I were to get a Mac Pro 5,1, would I insert EnableGop_x.x.efi or EnableGopDirect_x.x.efi into the vBIOS of NVS 510?

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Thank you for your reply. It’s a bit disappointing though.
Sorry!

Well, If I were to get a Mac Pro 5,1, would I insert EnableGop_x.x.efi or EnableGopDirect_x.x.efi into the vBIOS of NVS 510?
Into main motherboard firmware is probably what I'd recommend, but into the VBIOS (aka GPU firmware, to be more precise) should also work fine.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a MacPro to match your graphics card ... ! ;) If you follow the dortania guides carefully, you can hopefully get macOS working on reasonable PC hardware.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I wouldn't necessarily buy a MacPro to match your graphics card ... ! ;)

Starting from the fact that the NVS 510 is a extremely poor choice for a Mac Pro.

It's a GK107-301-A2 based NVIDIA GPU, essentially a binned GT 640/740/K2000 with half the CUs, and the macOS driver for GK107 is known to buffer overflow and crash after some days of usage.

Reactions: Bmju

seijits

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
Starting from the fact that the NVS 510 is a extremely poor choice for a Mac Pro.

It's a GK107-301-A2 based NVIDIA GPU, essentially a binned GT 640/740/K2000 with half the CUs, and the macOS driver for GK107 is known to buffer overflow and crash after some days of usage.
I think one of the advantages of NVS 510 is its single-slot low-profile form factor. But as you said, its performance is indeed poor.

seijits

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
Sorry!

Into main motherboard firmware is probably what I'd recommend, but into the VBIOS (aka GPU firmware, to be more precise) should also work fine.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a MacPro to match your graphics card ... ! ;) If you follow the dortania guides carefully, you can hopefully get macOS working on reasonable PC hardware.
Should I insert EnableGop_x.x.efi? Or EnableGopDirect_x.x.efi, if I were to prepare the poor NVS 510 for the Mac Pro and store it in a box.

seijits

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
I just looked at an auction site, and the Mac Pro 5.1 2010 was about $170. I’m not sure whether to buy it or not…

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
I added NVS 510 to the list of supported cards based on this post to the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s.2378942/page-29?post=32891085#post-32891085

So it looks like EnableGop is fine.
I'm new at enableGOP, I was able to flash the bootRom and it works with all my cards except my RX580 Saphire w/ DVI 2 hdmi and 2 DP.. I get no video at all?
Do I need to use EnableGopDirect_1.4.ffs?

Note: I have 2 flashed RX580's and they work great without enableGOP but with enableGOP I get zero video.
I also have 2 RX580's that are not flashed and I want to use them with enableGOP.

Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.