Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Should this concern me if I DONT USE Facebook (had Facebook but stopped using in 2015ish)? Is there other ways it could give me privacy concerns in this scenario?
Could it use my old Facebook account or something?

Facebook has a profile on you REGARDLESS of whether you use their service. Same with Google. Get Firefox with uMatrix and see just how often Facebook tries to track your online time. Or get Facebook Container to try and 100% block FB from tracking you.

There are bunches of apps that do not call home to their home server, BUT RATHER CALLS HOME TO FACEBOOK!

EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE FACEBOOK, Facebook is still using you. You are a PRODUCT FOR SALE to them.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Good. I’ve been on Signal for years and trying to move people away from WhatsApp and Messenger. This will help. Deleted those 2 remaining apps yesterday. Goodbye, Facebook.

I wonder how much of Facebook’s timing was motivated by imminent iOS updates. It was always going to happen. But the timing seems related. Especially after their anti-Apple ad.

travod

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Have those privacy notifications actually started yet? I haven't gotten any when opening apps.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I can’t stand Facebook. I barely use it anymore. I haven’t deleted my account yet, because, what’s the point right now? They’ve already got the info I’ve posted and have data mined it to death.
About once every month I’ll get on the app to look at pictures of my friends and family, their respective families, etc.

Its been a nice way to keep an eye on the little ones we can’t see in person due to the pandemic. My wife’s a nurse on her hospitals COVID-19 floor so we’re not taking any chances with unnecessary contact. We’ll ride this winter out and will start seeing people again when we can do that outside at a safe distance post vaccination. Facebook has been nice for that but once this pandemic is over my account is going bye-bye.

Social media has proven to be a disaster when it comes to enabling some very bad behavior but it’s also opened my eyes on some issues so it’s not been all bad. I used to think police brutality and driving while black was blown out of proportion. Man was I wrong. I also thought we were further along as a society than we actually are. Give Joe Sixpack some anonymity and a voice and I’m amazed at the vile hatred that gets spewed. I always knew there was an element of that in our society but not on the scale that social media has revealed. A large portion of our society is filled with scumbags who won’t ever say what they actually think out loud in front of people but when their hiding behind a keyboard their true colors come out. It’s pretty shameful.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Can anyone explain to me how a messaging app can collect info about my purchases? I don't make purchases with any of my messaging apps.

Reactions: RedGT

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Considering Facebook’s direction, what’s happening in the US, and worldwide concerns about privacy handling, this should be the most popular thread on the forums.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
Facebook has a profile on you REGARDLESS of whether you use their service. Same with Google. Get Firefox with uMatrix and see just how often Facebook tries to track your online time. Or get Facebook Container to try and 100% block FB from tracking you.

There are bunches of apps that do not call home to their home server, BUT RATHER CALLS HOME TO FACEBOOK!

EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE FACEBOOK, Facebook is still using you. You are a PRODUCT FOR SALE to them.

no, I disabled Facebook years ago-how can they still track?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Facebook is not the culprit here, its the legality of surveillance, data collecting, storing, and sharing. They need to fix the law and make this an illegal business practice just like ponzi schemes.

Today its Facebook and Google, tomorrow it might be something else, but the problem will remain.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Signal wants a phone number which seems counter-intuitive to privacy. Any way around that?
Well, I know the phone numbers of lots of people I'd want to talk to. So if I have Signal, and you are in my phonebook, and I want to talk to you without the call being intercepted, I can run Signal and see if your phone number works.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
One of the original co owners of WhatsApp that sold you out to FB is also co owner of signal.

Actually this is not quite correct. Brian Acton is the executive chairman of the Signal Foundation, which was set up in 2018 "to develop open-source privacy technology that protects free expression and enables secure global communication."

He leads the non-profit foundation that helps fund Signal (and possibly other ventures), in other words. He is not involved with Signal itself, and is only a Johnny-come-lately - Signal has been around since 2010, in one form or another.

However it is sadly funny that these guys seem to "get religion" only after they "get their billions". So it is certainly reasonable to question how dedicated these sorts of people will be if their "billions" ever get threatened.

Reactions: Jakuta

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Cellebrite just defeated Signal security several weeks ago (albeit content on the device, seemingly not in transit):

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/kap1gl
American school districts are also purchasing Cellebrite tech:

Enjoy.

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Just deleted the WhatsApp app the other day.
Remember all those promises by the original developers how they were going to protect our data. LOL they sold us out for money. o_O
Well yes, the original developers DID promise that and Mark The Zuk also promised that as well. But, Facebook will be Facebook, so promises broken.

• Sad
Reactions: JosephAW

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
What I find crazy of this all is that this is about the publicly published privacy checkboxes that they probably deemed minimal or enough to escape scrutiny in the future. I can only imagine how deep the rabbit hole goes with Facebook and data collecting, sniffing/snatching, sharing and selling that we just don’t know about and were not put in the user agreements clauses.

Just tried to sign up myself and I am also not receiving the code. The CAPCHA are also barely working or too picky. „Does this part count as part of a traffic light“ hmmmm
Actually something to thing about! Could totally be “currently too many users trying to connect... increase the difficulty, if they were bots they will be deterred and if they were real people they will be stalled giving some server breathing room. And we get to better train our neural networks at the same time”

One of the original co owners of WhatsApp that sold you out to FB is also co owner of signal.
Could have been too a reaction of regret and trying to make it right this time after cashing out... or as others say, whatsapp original plans going the wrong way down the line, so it was time to start again.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I know it could be total chance and I'm not usually the conspiracy tinfoil hat wearing type.... but this week a friend whatsapped me on his birthday to show me the birthday present he received from his wife - a standing desk/workstation. I have no interest in them. Have never googled one. Never talked about one. Never seen them advertised before. Next time I open instagram the very same desk is the first ad I scroll past.
I'd love to think coincidence but....

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
So, am I in danger if I HAD a Facebook account that I deactivated 4-5 years ago???

can anyone please answer this
You can research this type of information yourself, but yes it’s likely it matters for you. The fact that they hold ‘shadow profiles’ on people who may never even have had an account proves that no one is really outside of their grasp.
But knowing this is the first step, there are actions you can take to minimise things.

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
You can research this type of information yourself, but yes it’s likely it matters for you. The fact that they hold ‘shadow profiles’ on people who may never even have had an account proves that no one is really outside of their grasp.
But knowing this is the first step, there are actions you can take to minimise things.
Thanks for the info-what would you suggest?

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Cellebrite just defeated Signal security several weeks ago (albeit content on the device, seemingly not in transit):

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/kap1gl
American school districts are also purchasing Cellebrite tech:

Enjoy.
This was debunked by Signal already. They didn’t break anything, they had physical access to the device... do some research before spreading misinformation

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the info-what would you suggest?
It’s a big subject. All you can do now is limit what Facebook can find out about you. I doubt it will ever be possible to delete or even have them reveal the true dossier they hold on you, or the links to you from your friends, family and colleagues dossiers.
As you have got rid of your Facebook page already, then you need to ensure you’re avoiding all of their main products. What’s app, insta, messenger etc.
Limit and vet apps like Twitter and stuff, if possible download and use a browser specifically for them. On iOS I use separate browsers- one for social stuff, one for finance, one for Google just in case (Firefox focus), one for shopping, and one for work. I use tor for very sensitive anonymous searches like health related stuff.
Then you need to make sure you’re using browser blockers to try to limit fingerprinting. And blockers to block tracking ‘like’ buttons and pixels etc.
Ideally you’ll use tor, but safari is already a good anti finger print browser, a hardened Firefox is also a good move, on desktops at least. It’s a deep subject though, You should investigate sites like privacytools.io and r/privacy over on Reddit.
You should be using alternatives to Google search, start page is good as is DuckDuckGo, though the latter is very US centric in its results so depends where you live. Startpage offers proxied Google results.
You should move to protonmail or similar for email, to ensure your inbox isn’t scanned at rest, and you should be using separated non identifying email addresses. One for social networking, one for finance, one for taxes and gov stuff, etc.
It’s a bit paranoid sounding, but it’s easy as long as you don’t dive to deeply into the craziness ??

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Yup. I expect a few more surges of people leaving WhatsApp in droves and joining Signal. There are zero reasons not to. I officially declare that being on WhatsApp and Facebook is not cool any more. So last decade... ?
Zero reasons? I was just reading on Reddit that Signal is blocked from being downloaded in some countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.