Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Title says it all... looks like Catalina and Big Sur just got updates, nada for Mojave. End of the road for Macs that top out at Mojave?

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Depends on what you mean by "end of the road." I intend to run Mojave for quite a few years more. It does everything I need, and (almost) nothing I don't.

If Apple breaks iCloud compatibility at some point, I'll be migrating to Google/Microsoft services (I'm already half-way out the door).

Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
No end of the road here.
I intend to keep using Mojave on this 2018 Mini for years to come...
(and don't care one whit as to whether it remains "supported" or not...)
While it’s not my main machine (actually I don’t really have a ‘main’ machine), I still use Snow Leopard for certain things on a 2009 Mini: during its ‘support’ heyday, I never had - or noticed, at least - or needed - any ‘support’. So, on I trundle...

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Title says it all... looks like Catalina and Big Sur just got updates, nada for Mojave. End of the road for Macs that top out at Mojave?
Looks like it. There was even EFI update and we didn’t get anything… few years ago Mavericks, now Mojave. Starting to really dislike macOS being free, I’d rather pay and get some support/security patches for longer.
Will see which Macs I’ll upgrade to ^10.x and which will be downgraded to offline machines with older OS X… but really not looking to this exercise 😡👿

Reactions: Idgit

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Honestly, I'm a little relieved that Apple is no longer releasing updates for Mojave. I shouldn't have to worry about an update from Cupertino breaking things anymore (at least on the Mojave side; iOS, well, we'll see). Now I can settle in with a nice, well-oiled machine.

Of course, I'm a security conscious user, but I don't buy into the "OMG, you must upgrade or the sky is going to fall!" camp. Similar to how I think that folks who have a different skin color or religion than mine are wonderful people, despite what the talking heads want me to think. Weird, huh?

;)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
seems to me that Mojave will be the last OS will make that has freedom, solidity honestly and pleasant on the eyes.
Catalina always asked for permission to use iCloud and Music only sends a signal through airplay
there are other nuances and barriers Catalina had that are too much to list.

don't get me wrong Catalina was fast and fluid on the macbook, but too 2021 for me
so i went back to Mountain Lion Sunday.
IMG_9878~photo.jpg

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
SilentKnight will keep X-Protect, MRT and all the stuff Software Update can't see up-to-date. Fear not! Unless you're keeping the launch codes or passwords to off-shore bank accounts on your Mac. :rolleyes:
what are these things we type of?
i heard of silentknight tho

then the ? most  and PC users have is "what is a security update anyways?"
we know-
but are our computers that vulnerable towards hacks?
doesn't the firewall and safe browsing help, even using Mt Lion?
(which  won't even you one log into and use iCloud)

as far as Mojave not being supported might be a good thing for us intel MacBook users
were we don't have to relearn safari, OSX and other useless changes  makes "just because"

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
what are these things we type of?
i heard of silentknight tho

then the ? most  and PC users have is "what is a security update anyways?"
we know-
but are our computers that vulnerable towards hacks?
doesn't the firewall and safe browsing help, even using Mt Lion?
(which  won't even you one log into and use iCloud)

as far as Mojave not being supported might be a good thing for us intel MacBook users
were we don't have to relearn safari, OSX and other useless changes  makes "just because"
D/L SilentKnight and see. 👀 https://eclecticlightdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/silentknight117.zip

Reactions: MBAir2010

tompaulman

macrumors member
May 16, 2021
Depends on what you mean by "end of the road." I intend to run Mojave for quite a few years more. It does everything I need, and (almost) nothing I don't.
I can 100% co-sign this. I was still using Snow Leopard when Yosemite came out, and didn't care about "support". The "support" thing only tells you whether Apple officially releases updates or not. Operating systems are usually useful for years to come after official support ends. To me, real support is determined by whether the OS is still useful with the apps that can run on it. Even Snow Leopard is still somewhat supported, since it has updated browser, can access Facebook, YouTube and other popular websites.
So I'm going to stick to Mojave for few more years, because it's quick and stable, and it's the most user-friendly OS of the last four.
so i went back to Mountain Lion Sunday.
Why? Isn't Mojave great, or at least better in 2021?

Reactions: Nicole1980

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
My old faithfull 2013iMac i5 same with Mountain Lion. It's still on the internal 1T Fusion drive but Mojave runs my machine from an external SSD. Coincidence, for the past three weeks, I tried Catalina. Problems problems with safari 15.0 and 15.1 then Mail not charging messages. Some other little things. Back to Mojave and I don't want to go crazy over updates. To me, still the best macOS for an old iMac. Mountain Lion is the fastest though and Safari -always him- doesn't work anymore.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I can 100% co-sign this. I was still using Snow Leopard when Yosemite came out, and didn't care about "support". The "support" thing only tells you whether Apple officially releases updates or not. Operating systems are usually useful for years to come after official support ends. To me, real support is determined by whether the OS is still useful with the apps that can run on it. Even Snow Leopard is still somewhat supported, since it has updated browser, can access Facebook, YouTube and other popular websites.
So I'm going to stick to Mojave for few more years, because it's quick and stable, and it's the most user-friendly OS of the last four.

from catalina, on the 2nd MacBook air, sorry for the confusion

Reactions: tompaulman

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
No end of the road here.
I intend to keep using Mojave on this 2018 Mini for years to come...
(and don't care one whit as to whether it remains "supported" or not...)
Having read that Monterey bricks some Apple Computers, I will stay on Mojave at least until I get a new computer which will probably be a long, long time.j

PS: Mavericks bricked my 2008 MBP and Apple did not believe me. It cost me $300+ to replace the Motherboard which I had Apple restored back to Snow Leopard before shipping it back to me.

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Staying on Mojave. I’d love to test Monterey on an external ssd but don’t trust myself to do it right.

UPDATE: installed Monterey on an external SSD and booted off it. Installed my apps and found they all work. Reinstalled Mojave on my internal SSD, upgraded to Monterey, then used Carbon Copy Cloner to install apps and data from external. Works just fine to this day.

Last edited:

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020

I am not concerned about the "support" but rather the security updates I will not get.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I have to say MS is not much better in that regard. I had cause to boot up an old laptop I had from 2007 which was running Windows Vista, and the first thing that greeted me after entering my password was a big red message about “your computer is out of support” and “Windows Defender is turned off”.

I’m still looking after several machines running High Sierra — my MacBook Air and my mothers old iMac both from 2011 — and haven’t run into any real problems yet. Support is nice to have, but I think older macs have a lot of life left in them.

tompaulman

macrumors member
May 16, 2021
I am not concerned about the "support" but rather the security updates I will not get.
I completely understand that. I think if you apply common sense (don't click on links in suspicious unsolicited emails, avoid dodgy websites, use antivirus etc.) then the chances of your security being exploited should be minimal. After all, we all have probably lived with the Pegasus vulnerability for few years, and we survived. And even the users on most recent version of Monterey are surviving with some major vulnerability that is yet to be discovered and patched by Apple.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I completely understand that. I think if you apply common sense (don't click on links in suspicious unsolicited emails, avoid dodgy websites, use antivirus etc.) then the chances of your security being exploited should be minimal. After all, we all have probably lived with the Pegasus vulnerability for few years, and we survived. And even the users on most recent version of Monterey are surviving with some major vulnerability that is yet to be discovered and patched by Apple.
Not sure what constitutes a "dodgy" website and I hope MacRumors is not such a site.

I guess my point is that I try to do whatever is in my control to maximize security. Keeping an OS up to date is within my control. I do understand that nothing is 100% secure and there are many vulnerabilities beyond my control. My problem is that I really do not want to migrate from Mojave, which is, in my mind, the best OS for Intel based Macs. I need to make some decisions I guess.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I have to say MS is not much better in that regard. I had cause to boot up an old laptop I had from 2007 which was running Windows Vista, and the first thing that greeted me after entering my password was a big red message about “your computer is out of support” and “Windows Defender is turned off”.

I’m still looking after several machines running High Sierra — my MacBook Air and my mothers old iMac both from 2011 — and haven’t run into any real problems yet. Support is nice to have, but I think older macs have a lot of life left in them.
 aint saints as well
I am having a problem login into 2013 Mountain lion with iCloud.
safari won't load a lot of pages all o the sudden were the OSX worked 2 years ago
so  defiantly stopped supporting Mountain lion recently for there reasons.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
There is one key thing that no one has mentioned yet: I think that you have to abandon Apple-supplied Internet-facing apps like Safari and Apple Mail once support ends, and switch to third-party, still-supported, equivalent functionality apps like Chrome, Firefox, and Thunderbird. This is because once the base OS like Mojave stops getting security updates, so do Safari and Mail - they're frozen in time at the moment of the last OS security update. And since knowledge about vulnerabilities is continually emerging on an on-going basis, attacks against those frozen-in-time app versions can be successful. The third party apps will usually continue to get updates for security for a long time before the third-party developers eventually have to kill off support for old operating systems.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
There is one key thing that no one has mentioned yet: I think that you have to abandon Apple-supplied Internet-facing apps like Safari and Apple Mail once support ends, and switch to third-party, still-supported, equivalent functionality apps like Chrome, Firefox, and Thunderbird. This is because once the base OS like Mojave stops getting security updates, so do Safari and Mail - they're frozen in time at the moment of the last OS security update. And since knowledge about vulnerabilities is continually emerging on an on-going basis, attacks against those frozen-in-time app versions can be successful. The third party apps will usually continue to get updates for security for a long time before the third-party developers eventually have to kill off support for old operating systems.
this is a concern of mine in the  years approaching making a holy matrimony commitment to Mojave.
those "scary"security updates are nonsense for me, just using iCloud to sync safari will be missed.
i gave up trying to figure out how to get apple software running on apple' mountain lion this year, while everything worked in 2020.

Reactions: madrich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.