Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I know it's new and coming from iMac Late 2013 Catalina I'm still in honeymoon phase! LOL... Had this since December and aside from Sonoma Quirks, the industrial design, the hardware fit and finish, performance surpassed my expectations. My 3 favorites now is the original Macintosh, 20th Anniversary Mac and now this iMac M3. I just love how thin this thing is and its and entire computer in there. I did 24gb, 2TB, 4Port so that it's kinda future proof. How are you all enjoying your new M3 iMac.

History of the iMac.jpg

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I wish Apple did more like the 20th anniversary Mac. It would look amazing to see what they could do now. But nowadays I guess that is what the Mac Studio with either the expensive Studio Display or very expensive XDR Display is?

Reactions: kagharaht

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I wish Apple did more like the 20th anniversary Mac. It would look amazing to see what they could do now. But nowadays I guess that is what the Mac Studio with either the expensive Studio Display or very expensive XDR Display is?
Oh I can only imagine a 24" or 27" 20th Anniversary Mac, with the speakers on the side that has force cancelling woofers...so it won't need that BOSE Bass Module, which by the way was incredible. TAM had FM Radio, TV Tuner, CD... but nowadays these are all streamed so the bottom part would be still viable for DVD/BR player. The prototypes Apple created resulted in TAM. I can't find the page anymore for the Pomona Series Prototypes.

Last edited:

greyeyezz

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2017
I know it's new and coming from iMac Late 2013 Catalina I'm still in honeymoon phase! LOL... Had this since December and aside from Sonoma Quirks, the industrial design, the hardware fit and finish, performance surpassed my expectations. My 3 favorites now is the original Macintosh, 20th Anniversary Mac and now this iMac M3. I just love how thin this thing is and its and entire computer in there. I did 24gb, 2TB, 4Port so that it's kinda future proof. How are you all enjoying your new M3 iMac.

View attachment 2349120
What kind of temps is that thing averaging?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm using an M1 Air (orange) and just love having it on my desk. To keep things tidy, I just drilled some holes in the back of my desk and hid my external drives inside it. I more or less maxed out the specs when I got it, and it's doing great. I was sort of tempted to get the M3 iMac, but honestly I don't know what practical difference it would make other than making my wallet lighter.

Like many, I wouldn't mind a bigger version, but it's generally a really great, fast and silent Mac that's handled really well everything I've thrown at it.

Reactions: Agile55

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I agree, my iMac is only an M1 but since I don’t use it to game it’s been my favourite computer bar none. It’s fast, quiet, stable, cool, efficient and just very elegant on my desk.

Reactions: Agile55

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
What kind of temps is that thing averaging?
I did have it showing with MenuMeters for awhile. Just idle 86F to 90F. General use sometimes 95F. When I threw some large 5784 x 4088 pixels image at 1200 Resolution and Max up the size on Topaz Gigapixel it reaches 100-102 then drops immediately when it finishes it. Handbrake on 1080p is 122F peak. I don't even hear the fan ramping up with them. I don't have any real workflow anymore to make the iMac work hard anymore. The old iMac Late 2013 the fan ran full speed with Handbrake. This one doesn't. I do use the VideoToolbox Preset since it's using Hardware encoding vs software the temps are low. If you do use Software encoding in HB it will reach 132F. I can then hear the fan, but it's barely audible, not full blast at all. I guess I need to throw something even harder at it. lol

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
The best overall is the 2009-2011 iMac:
Iconic design, easily repairable, possibility of upgrading, easily removable stand to replace it with the VESA stand.
The apotheosis of the iMac.
Agreed. The 2009 iMac is my favorite Mac experience. The screen, the DVD player, the SD card slot, and I love the square and flat edges. To add to your list of unique features, let us not forget that it also had Target Display Mode.

Reactions: Mark.g4

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
It's a beautiful device, no question, and the performance of M3 is unreal for a computer with such a slim profile.
I can't wait to try some Video Ai like Topaz on it. I'm waiting for a sale or coupon code. Last year they had Video and Photo Ai bundled in one price. I bet this stuff will push the iMac M3 hard and I'm sure it will handle it well. Anyway like your handle, I remember seeing that video when it first came out and thought to myself that I'll be dead by the time that stuff happens. Yet today, a lot of that stuff is reality. lol

Reactions: picpicmac

Kevin Lasko

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2022
I just got my M3 Blue iMac with 16Gig and 1TB SSD to replace my 2014 27" iMac. The screen is a little closer than the 27 and I really don't mind the smaller screen. Don't notice the wide band around the display. The speed improvement is so awesome, even much faster than my M1 MacBook Air. Have Parallels running Windows 11 already for my Ham Radio applications that are Wndows only and the VM runs fine. IMHO, unless you really, really need the bigger screen this will work for most people.

Last edited:

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
May 19, 2019
side note, I noticed the new M3 iMac got additional power block like that unlike previous iMac just the power cord. Why is it so?

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
side note, I noticed the new M3 iMac got additional power block like that unlike previous iMac just the power cord. Why is it so?
It allows the iMac to be super thin and completely flat at the back. Something I always wanted the iMac to be. In the future, I want it even thiner. LOL. Also the ethernet plug is on the block. So less cable clutter on the back of the iMac. I have ethernet plugged there.

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
May 19, 2019
It allows the iMac to be super thin and completely flat at the back. Something I always wanted the iMac to be. In the future, I want it even thiner. LOL. Also the ethernet plug is on the block. So less cable clutter on the back of the iMac. I have ethernet plugged there.
I see there. Actually I not say like this. Just because make it super thin but got " extra " thing on the table or under. I mean I feel the previous mac already look ok quite thin. Of course as technology go by maybe in future is really super thin.

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
On a positive note, if you intend to keep your iMac for a long time (10+ years), an external power box is probably a good idea. Both my 20” G4 iMac and my 2012 27”Intel iMac eventually gave up the ghost due to PSU failures after 10 years of use.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
More enjoyment and I laughed for real when I redid an old old old DVD that I have. Using Handbrake Apple Video Toolbox 10 bit. I saw the FPS hitting 1,200! LOL...it came out beautifully also.

Reactions: picpicmac

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Sorry but I do not see the point of seeing how thin you can make a device. I know Apple is obsessed with thin and I have to admit it is attractive but we pay a penalty for it. A thicker iMac, iPhone or MacBook could offer better cooling, larger batteries, etc. I love my new iMac but it being thin was not a consideration at purchase.

signuphere

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
I've had my "maxed out" M3 for about a week and it is absolutely spectacular. Looks stunning, too (Silver!). The white border gets criticized, but I like it a lot better than the black like on my mid '11. Also - it has nice slick feeling metal, whereas the texture on the older models have a cheap rough texture.

The touch-ID is amazing. No more password (well...waking it from sleep, that is) and is essentially instant-on.

I'm trying to understand its RAM usage, though. It has 24G, which is drastically overkill for me which consists entirely of email and message boards, news, and so forth, though the RAM is always (almost) maxed out and even swaps are used (less than, say 1 G). I do have Preview open but that file only weighs 7 GB. So I wasted $400 unnecessarily or it is doing its job as designed (yes, I understand, for sure the latter). Either way I'm good with it and I am glad I upped the RAM because there is no downside to it. Sizewise (display), there is a huge difference coming from the 21.5", something I didn't expect. One more thing : it runs stone cold and I can't hear the fan even when I press my ear to it.

Reactions: colodane

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
I've had my "maxed out" M3 for about a week and it is absolutely spectacular. Looks stunning, too (Silver!). The white border gets criticized, but I like it a lot better than the black like on my mid '11. Also - it has nice slick feeling metal, whereas the texture on the older models have a cheap rough texture.

The touch-ID is amazing. No more password (well...waking it from sleep, that is) and is essentially instant-on.

I'm trying to understand its RAM usage, though. It has 24G, which is drastically overkill for me which consists entirely of email and message boards, news, and so forth, though the RAM is always (almost) maxed out and even swaps are used (less than, say 1 G). I do have Preview open but that file only weighs 7 GB. So I wasted $400 unnecessarily or it is doing its job as designed (yes, I understand, for sure the latter). Either way I'm good with it and I am glad I upped the RAM because there is no downside to it. Sizewise (display), there is a huge difference coming from the 21.5", something I didn't expect. One more thing : it runs stone cold and I can't hear the fan even when I press my ear to it.
Yes it's awesome and the RAM at 24 is a good move. Specially if you one day decide to do the things I started to work on. Simply because the M3 is so freaking fast and efficient I started this project. Using Gigapixel to fix images scanned at 2400 resolution that is a group shot of 20 people, the software will ramp up the fan on the M3. Because of the thin exhaust ports at the bottom you will hear the fan and feel that heat! Soon the job is done it quickly ramps back down to silent. Handbrake I didn't hear it at all. Can't wait to throw Video Ai on it to fix some old footage. That will stress the cpu for hours or days doing those videos.

signuphere

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
That's interesting about Preview because I checked Photos and it uses almost nothing in comparison.

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
May 19, 2019
recently finally into new iMac, so is the M3. I got the base model. I noticed kinda weird is the apple keyboard and trackpad. Especially the trackpad. I never take the magic mouse. I opt for magic trackpad. I noticed this new trackpad seem " abit " lag? Anyone noticed. Is hard to explain is like sometime a " slight minor lag" I don't know how to explain. Is like overall a minor thing. I compare the setting with my old iMac using the first gen track pad settings , both settings are the same. Epic I find the first gen track pad which run on battery kinda never encounter this problem. I know some will claim turn off and on again pair again. I did that.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
recently finally into new iMac, so is the M3. I got the base model. I noticed kinda weird is the apple keyboard and trackpad. Especially the trackpad. I never take the magic mouse. I opt for magic trackpad. I noticed this new trackpad seem " abit " lag? Anyone noticed. Is hard to explain is like sometime a " slight minor lag" I don't know how to explain. Is like overall a minor thing. I compare the setting with my old iMac using the first gen track pad settings , both settings are the same. Epic I find the first gen track pad which run on battery kinda never encounter this problem. I know some will claim turn off and on again pair again. I did that.
For me yes. The Magic Trackpad 2 has “delay, lag, stutter, sudden jump” right from the very first day of using it. My iMac M3 shipped with Ventura but I was prompt to update to Sonoma during setup. Soon as it was done the issue was very noticeable. When plugged in by cable the issues were gone. I ran safe mode once to clean up cache and it was much better but still happening to often. Now after 2 updates it’s way better. It doesn’t happen often anymore and when it does it’s vert minimal that i never really notice or got used to it and subconsciously adjust my finger movement To compensate. Run safe mode and make sure you updated. It will be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.