Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
You are still on the topic of a gatekeeper. Apple preventing certain types of apps. I am not in favor of this either. However, that was not the original point. The original point was that Apple charging a fee to utilize iOS stifles innovation and that is not true. All apps face the same issue, therefore no one app has an advantage or disadvantage. So it is not stopping apps from competing and getting better. Where it CAN happen is when Apple enters a space (aka Apple Music vs Spotify) and I have already said that I think there needs to be oversight on these ventures by Apple to make sure there is competition.

I don't agree about Apple being forced to do something either. They are not going to do it unless a governing body forces them to. However, I would argue that it is not "right" or "wrong" because Apple is operating under the rules of capitalism and therefore IS doing the "right" thing by operating their business in such a way as to maximize profits. The "right" thing is not to make their business more vulnerable to dilution or have to fight battles they can avoid. Same thing with these new rules. Apple will have to spend money to make these things secure or risk negative PR at the minimum. That cost Apple SHOULD try to avoid. Not only is it a cost savings but also makes them more money by forcing more people to play in their sandbox.

I am not blind to what is going on, but it is BUSINESS and it should be the way they operate. It doesn't mean it is the best thing for consumers, but why should it be? When did you feel like a gas/petrol station was in your best interest? When did you feel like Coca-cola was doing things in your best interest? That is not the point of business...whether you feel that is right or wrong is also a different topic :p
Not true. Some developers may not take off because of the fees. We'll know the actual harm that the fees have done once the CTU is removed or reduced to a negligible amount so that it no longer cripples the alternative stores. I am not sure if the issue is with the fees alone or if it is the Appstore itself that is the issue (As I said earlier, I do not remember the original post to which I was responding).

Apple has a philosophy; grow by stifling competition rather than innovating. That is fine for you. The EU has a philosophy. Foster competition at all costs. That is fine for me.

Not true. Some developers may not take off because of the fees. We'll know the actual harm that the fees have done once the CTU is removed or reduced to a negligible amount so that it no longer cripples the alternative stores. I am not sure if the issue is with the fees alone or if it is the Appstore itself that is the issue (As I said earlier, I do not remember the original post to which I was responding).

Apple has a philosophy; grow by stifling competition rather than innovating. That is fine for you. The EU has a philosophy. Foster competition at all costs. That is fine for me.
I think your summary takes away a lot of detail that matters. Personally, I have quite a bit of experience with growing business and understanding the complexities as well as the nuances of what it takes to be successful in that space and not fail as most businesses do. I have also personally worked in this space and helped many businesses be successful specifically in the app space. While I certainly will admit that some of what you and I have discussed can swerve in and out of our own conjecture, I do not feel it is fair to dismiss some of the business principles I have brought up because you "think" it doesn't work that way or you wish that it didn't. However, I am fine leaving this as is and arriving at an "agree to disagree" spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.