Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
I bought the movie on the Danish Apple iTunes Store, and have contacted Apple to report an error with the movies audiotrack.

But they can't/won't help as they don't accept responsibility for the digital content provided by Disney (Marvel). Which I find very odd.

When played via an Apple TV box with a Dolby Digital 5.1 audiotrack, the movie comes with a very loud screeching tone of 1 second duration exactly 39.17 minutes into the movie.

I only get this loud sound on an Apple TV box with Dolby Digital 5.1 (I've tried on 3 different Apple TV boxes). When the movie is played on an iPhone or a regular TV with the AppleTV app (not Apple TV box), there are no problems. I assume these only use the Stereo Track as no Digital 5.1 audio is possible on these televisions.

This also makes sense, since my second test proves the same, as on the AppleTV box, if I force it to only use stereo sound, there is no screeching tone either. I have recorded a video of my TV where this unpleasant sound appears, which you all can see here:
Apple makes it extremely hard to report errors on movies purchased on iTunes. Using the report function under my purchases, just seems to end up in a black hole or something, never to be heard from again. This should not be so hard.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
I would ask for a refund.
Well, I don't want a refund (which would be possible). I want a movie version without the audiotrack issue. That should not be a problem. One would imagine that it was in everyones interest to fix an error on a digital release.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I don't want a refund (which would be possible). I want a movie version without the audiotrack issue.

Couple of options (U.S.):

1. Watch on Disney+
2. Purchase the 4K Blu-Ray with a digital copy
a. Use the digital copy
b. Rip the 4K and stream it

(2) is expensive right now (~$30) as it was just released a month ago. Look for significant price drops as time goes on, particularly on Black Friday in the U.S. where you may be able to get the disk and digital for ~$15.

If you request a refund then that information will likely go to the studio giving them an incentive to fix it. Otherwise probably nothing will happen.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
Good idea's but.

1. Watch on Disney+
A: I dont wanna be part of all those streaming services, not knowing where stuff is. If I want to see, I buy.
2. Purchase the 4K Blu-Ray with a digital copy
A: Only in US, Canada and Australia do physical movies come with a digital copy
a. Use the digital copy
A: That's what I'm trying to, but it has a broken audiotrack
b. Rip the 4K and stream it
A: That's illegal in Denmark, as it requires you to breach the encryption.

If I'm the only one requesting a refund, it won't make a dent. But if many here would return with testing and sharing the same experience, that would actually do something.

Last edited:

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Curious. You're probably streaming the movie with Danish audio. What happens to audio if you use English or another language? Same blip?

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
Curious. You're probably streaming the movie with Danish audio. What happens to audio if you use English or another language? Same blip?
It is the original English 5.1 audiotrack, as also shown in the attached movie clip shown in the beginning of the thread.

Which is also the only audiotrack available in our movie version.

In Denmark, we only dub children movies, as we all speak perfectly english, and it is to expensive to do in such a small country.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Only in US, Canada and Australia do physical movies come with a digital copy

I wonder what would happen if you purchased a movie with a digital copy from Amazon.us? Maybe the code would validate there.

not knowing where stuff is.

Simple, at least in the U.S., to find where something is streaming. Probably much harder in Europe. Maybe use a VPN?

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
This isn't really about me finding another solution to a broken bought item. This is about the people responsible owning up, and fixing the issue. I and many others bought a defective product, this has to be fixed.

Reactions: Nermal

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Can you report it to Disney? It's their product and it's them that would have to provide Apple with a fixed version.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
Can you report it to Disney? It's their product and it's them that would have to provide Apple with a fixed version.
On would imagine so, but please inform me how I'm supposed to do this ? - I have not found any department or contact information on how to report issues like this to Disney.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I finally got a chance to play the movie from my USA iTunes account and I do not hear the screeching sound on my Atmos receiver and speakers.

Hopefully, Apple fixes the issue.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
I finally got a chance to play the movie from my USA iTunes account and I do not hear the screeching sound on my Atmos receiver and speakers.

Hopefully, Apple fixes the issue.
If you’re using Atmos, that’s why you don’t hear the screeching sound. Atmos is 7.1 at the minimum. The audiotrack with error is the 5.1.

1692610476387.png

As you can see on the movie spec's, there are more than one audiotrack, that's automatically selected depending on your setup.

So if you somehow could change to 5.1 only, you should hear the same unpleasant sound.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you’re using Atmos, that’s why you don’t hear the screeching sound. Atmos is 7.1 at the minimum. The audiotrack with error is the 5.1.

View attachment 2248614
As you can see on the movie spec's, there are more than one audiotrack, that's automatically selected depending on your setup.

So if you somehow could change to 5.1 only, you should hear the same unpleasant sound.
My apologies, I just left my ATV set to auto with Atmos enabled.

I will test it by disabling Atmos in the ATV settings.

Reactions: snowatom

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I turned off Atmos in my 1st Gen 4k Apple TV and played the scene twice and did not hear any sound distortion. I confirmed that the receiver was receiving multichannel PCM only.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
I turned off Atmos in my 1st Gen 4k Apple TV and played the scene twice and did not hear any sound distortion. I confirmed that the receiver was receiving multichannel PCM only.
The sound is also OK in PCM stereo only. If I only play it in stereo from my ATV everything is also OK. It’s only the 5.1 audiotrack 😉

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The sound is also OK in PCM stereo only. If I only play it in stereo from my ATV everything is also OK. It’s only the 5.1 audiotrack 😉
I was playing the track in multichannel PCM 5.1 and not stereo. I also checked to ensure sound was coming from the centre and both surrounds. My receiver confirmed the ATV was sending out 5.1 and all signal processing was turned off on my Anthem receiver.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That’s Strange. On all my Apple TV’s the sound does this at that exact moment.
Could it be due to the Danish Apple Store using a different file from the USA App Store?

I'm in Canada and the movie is on my USA iTunes account.

I noticed that the movie ID# in the USA and Canada iTunes Store match, movie ID# in the Denmark and UK iTunes Store match, but the movie ID# in the USA and Denmark do not match.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 2.24.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 2.24.51 PM.png
    972.1 KB · Views: 75

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
Could be, there are most likely also subtitles available in the Danish version, that’s not available in the US version. But, as the Danish version only has the English audiotrack, it does however seems odd, that Apple would keep different versions of the same movie. Seems like a waste of space.

But then again, it could be that there are some small differences in the Europe vs US release.

If it wasn’t a waste of money, I would purchase the US version on my US account, just to verify the possibility.

Maybe I stumble upon a digital code for the movie to US iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.