Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
LOL...will be ironic to see this thread empty or next-empty when nothing happens....
Maybe and if so then great, technology moves forward without issue. However, with such a small but big change I have zero faith in the carrier companies and their preparedness. I would be curious if they knew Apple was ditching the physical sim.

maracuch0

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
I requested an eSim from AT&T today and provided me a QR code to activate when the new iPhone arrives tomorrow. I am coming from Android so it is required to contact the carrier. However if you are going from iPhone to iPhone, it is not needed.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I thought the migration/upgrade from current to new phone handled eSIM migration. Pretty sure that's what happened last year.

maracuch0

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
I thought the migration/upgrade from current to new phone handled eSIM migration. Pretty sure that's what happened last year.
From iPhone to iPhone yes, but if you are coming from Android like I am, you will need to contact your carrier for a QR code. I did mine today so I do not have to call them tomorrow and have to wait in line for CSR.

Reactions: msackey

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
If your carrier supports esims, you are good to go. If you need to travel, an iPhone can support up to 8 esims, with any two active at one time. You can add foreign esims and activate them as needed. You are only screwed if the foreign carrier doesn't support esims.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Honestly I’m just here to say I have no complaints and I welcome the disappearance of the awful SIM port.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
I have a backup iPhone and was practicing today switching esim between my primary and backup device with T-Mobile. FYI- I could not transfer the esim directly to the backup using Settings>Cellular>Add Cellular Plan.

The only way to do this was to call in and later on via the website (not app). Definitely not as easy it should be.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
No floppy disk? Terrible idea.

No CD ROM? Terrible idea.

No physical buttons on the iPhone? Terrible idea.

iPad? Terrible idea. it’s just a giant iPhone.

No headphone Jack? Terrible idea.

No physical SIM card? Terrible idea.

You see the pattern?

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Honestly I’m just here to say I have no complaints and I welcome the disappearance of the awful SIM port.
I get it. A physical SIM is indeed a security hazard. Back in the days of flip phones, you can just pop out a SIM card and pop it into any other cellphone and it would receive calls for the number associated with the SIM. I imagine this is still true today for smartphones with physical SIM.

I get that it is also painful in many situations to transition because we don't have the widespread infrastructure for eSIM yet in most parts of the world. But eventually....we'll get there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.