Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I get it. A physical SIM is indeed a security hazard. Back in the days of flip phones, you can just pop out a SIM card and pop it into any other cellphone and it would receive calls for the number associated with the SIM. I imagine this is still true today for smartphones with physical SIM.

I get that it is also painful in many situations to transition because we don't have the widespread infrastructure for eSIM yet in most parts of the world. But eventually....we'll get there.

SIM PIN

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
No floppy disk? Terrible idea.

No CD ROM? Terrible idea.

No physical buttons on the iPhone? Terrible idea.

iPad? Terrible idea. it’s just a giant iPhone.

No headphone Jack? Terrible idea.

No physical SIM card? Terrible idea.

You see the pattern?
I still remember the time when I felt iPad would forever be associated with menstrual pads. I had that association for a while, but now, it doesn't even come up as a mental association any more! So...yeah. :)

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
My mvno carrier doesn’t have esim I really like the service unlimited everything. Should I wait until after Monday to start esim service somewhere else to try it out with a new phone number until safelink gets esim or if they don’t then port out my number later? I don’t want to lose ACP and Lifeline once I port out my real phone number unless I’m sure I want to switch.

Would I be able to do call forward with my real number on 12 pro max to 14 pm?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I’m predicting a huge meltdown by the US carrier systems on release day so I thought it would be fun to focus all the drama here when it does happen.
For me, it's the fact that I always buy iPhones in the US to give them as presents to direct family members abroad. Now? That is completely out of the question as they are eSIM only and there is no eSIM support in the region for any carrier.

Buying an iPhone locally usually runs an extra $500 + taxes on top of Apple's MSRP.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong

You see the pattern?
And how on earth having no headphone jack and no SIM slot improved people's lives in any way shape or form? Having less options than before isn't always a good thing.

Apple f'ed up the Macbooks so much they basically went back to the 2015 design for their current ones and added back all the stuff they took out.

Reactions: ZebraDude

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011

You see the pattern?
naysayers will be naysayers.
I consider myself an early adopter.
What I will miss the most when I die is the new tech that will come after my death.

Reactions: AppleB and Htsi

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
I'm setting up mine and my bosses iphones tomorrow. I fully plan on being on hold to verizon for hours as he keeps asking me every few minutes if his phone is ready yet 😭

• Haha
Reactions: ZebraDude

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016

You see the pattern?
Yeah, except no physical buttons, no headphone jack, and no SIM tray are indeed terrible ideas ;)

Reactions: AppleB

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
Well, the time has come and gone and I didn't really see any huge outages or anything of that nature reported. Kudos to Apple and the carriers I guess. Sadly, I'm forced out of the iPhone market since my job still requires a physical sim and I refuse to go back to using two phones. My main concern is that while Apple has forced the US carriers to go to eSIM the simple fact they still have pSIM models outside the US means the rest of the world isn't forced to do it so the only market it hurts is the US one.

Reactions: JPack

presidenchill

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2022
Hello, straw man.
I have zero problem with my 14 pro max not having any of the missing parts. heck, they can take the charger port next for all I care but they wont as off brand chargers are more reliable than off brand mag chargers right now and in such huge quantity. There are plenty of accessories and tech electronics that hook up via lightning cable to iphone.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
I have been on safelink with 13 pro max on an esim forever and switched safelink over to esim on 14 pro max this morning with no problem.
I called Safelink many times and no one even knew what an eSIM was!

What number did you call? Was it a special number? What did you say?

Thank you in advance!

presidenchill

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2022
I called Safelink many times and no one even knew what an eSIM was!

What number did you call? Was it a special number? What did you say?

Thank you in advance!
The first people you meet do not know how to set up esim. All of the first people I get have to forward me to the department. I called tech support to get transferred. It's 18003781684

presidenchill

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2022
To a minority… not to most normal users at this point.
I literally miss none of these things on my iphone the way I thought I did. People just simply dont like change. Lets be honest. Everybody at my job of all ages prefers their wireless earbuds, earphones, or headphones now that they see just how not in the way they are. And depending on the item, some havent had to charge their earphones for weeks-months. My bosses bose earbuds have lasted 3 months without needing a full charge. My JBL earbuds last about 3 days before needing a charge and they are in from 8-10 hours straight a day. I'm glad they got rid of the physical sim tray as well. I had on my 13PM a pSIM and 2 eSIMs, now i just have 3 eSIMs on my 14PM. Customers no longer have to deal with faulty sim trays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.