Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you use the dual sim function?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sign_dev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Germany
Hi, everybody,
in the current beta of iOS 12.1 it is possible to add an eSIM contract. This currently works in Germany with Telekom and Vodafone (but you have to add this manually with Vodafone and not through the scan).

I have been using Vodafone's eSIM in my Xs Max for 2 days now and everything is working fine - there is no physical SIM at the moment - just put my physical Vodafone SIM in for testing purposes.

Here are some pictures that you are welcome to use, no problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me :)

IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0112.png
IMG_0118.png

Reactions: NeshyD and Paco II

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
Cool... works perfect... Trick is not using the iPhone internal QR scanner but a third party one... then split the two parts, a URL (between the $ signs) and the activation code (after the second $) and use the confirmation code you received from Vodafone (visible in the MeinVodafone iPhone App - strangely not on the web portal (here it is blocked and marked as continue download) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sign_dev

sign_dev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Germany
To be honest, I haven't tried it yet. But I will try it tomorrow, when my new contract arrives.

Romelo23

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
Can you choose which SIM the phone pulls data from or is it only the primary?

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Sorry to bug, but is the following possible?

1. Placing a call on SIM A on hold to answer a call on SIM B
2. Choosing which SIM's data plan to use while vo ice is enabled on both
3. Automatically switching between carriers based on service (i.e., if SIM A goes into roaming, SIM B becomes primary service)

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Sorry to bug, but is the following possible?

1. Placing a call on SIM A on hold to answer a call on SIM B
2. Choosing which SIM's data plan to use while vo ice is enabled on both
3. Automatically switching between carriers based on service (i.e., if SIM A goes into roaming, SIM B becomes primary service)

I’m not sure about them all, but in answer to 1&2 (after reading Apple’s support page about it)

1. No, sim B will automatically go to voicemail
2. Yes, this is possible.

Reactions: Capeto

sign_dev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Germany
Can you turn off the eSim? (Similar to airplane mode) and have the physical sim enabled?

Thanks

This poses no problem. For example, you can disable the eSIM, but the physical SIM continues to run and only one SIM is displayed.
[doublepost=1538823036][/doublepost]
Can you choose which SIM the phone pulls data from or is it only the primary?

Yeah, that's possible. You can choose which contract is used for the internet.

VicAnTop

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Cool... works perfect... Trick is not using the iPhone internal QR scanner but a third party one... then split the two parts, a URL (between the $ signs) and the activation code (after the second $) and use the confirmation code you received from Vodafone (visible in the MeinVodafone iPhone App - strangely not on the web portal (here it is blocked and marked as continue download) ...

Actually did everything, but can’t get confirmation code. Where in MeinVodafone iPhone App it could be and when?

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada

Where do you get the URL code from? Vodafone SIM card or somewhere else?

VicAnTop

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Where do you get the URL code from? Vodafone SIM card or somewhere else?
As wrote before: you can scan QR code by separate scanner. First data between $ will be URL code.
My problem – I cant find or get confirmation code...

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
[QUOTE="My problem – I cant find or get confirmation code...[/QUOTE]

Should be in your SIM part on your myVodafone App (preferred as the Web App should "downloading" after trying once) under the Matrix, it's I think called ePIN too

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Has anyone tried the Swap My Sim option on Vodafone UK?

There is the option to swap to eSIM that arrived a couple of weeks ago.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Has anyone tried the Swap My Sim option on Vodafone UK?

There is the option to swap to eSIM that arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Ok so this bricked my SIM. The esim option apparently is related to Apple Watch. My number transferred away from my Sim and marked the sim with Vodafone as damaged and they couldn’t reregister it. Now waiting for a new sim.

What annoys me is that they couldn’t just reregister it to the physical SIM card. The SIM card is not technically damaged.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Appreciate the demo! I'm definitely pumped that when I travel overseas, I won't have to bring my SE with me. I can have my T-Mobile SIM (carrier) and Orange SIM (pre-paid) in my Xs.

Reactions: dbrose

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I can confirm that eSIM works flawlessly with Swisscom in Switzerland as well. I went to the online customer care portal, ordered a "replacement SIM" (just as if I had lost it), then I was given the option to choose between a physical SIM and an eSIM. I chose the latter, got the QR Code, scanned it on the iPhone and it worked right away.

I just got the warning message that the eSIM isn't certified yet so it's technically unsupported, but so far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.