Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you use the dual sim function?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
This poses no problem. For example, you can disable the eSIM, but the physical SIM continues to run and only one SIM is displayed.

The opposite doesn't seem to be possible, at least I can't find the option. I can't disable the physical SIM and leave the eSIM active, unless I reboot the iPhone and omit to enter the PIN, so it will stay locked. There must be a better way...

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
It was announced in the keynote that Vodafone UK will support Apple Watch Series 4 WHICH only supports eSIM. So they are not getting ready. They already have it. Just not for XS/XS Max ready.

Yes I’m aware of that, no need for the condescending tone. Seeing as the thread is about the iPhone Xs I thought it would be obvious what it referred to.

If you look at the support document, the point that says choose your device, this indicates almost that something is on its way and it doesn’t reflect what is actually present on the website - which doesn’t give you the option.

The technology of esim maybe the same but the handling isn’t. Apple Watch shares the same number for voice and data, this retains your number and assigns it to a new sim it being esim.

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Gett...activate-and-set-up-a-device-with-an-eSIM.htm

Last edited:

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Vodafone UK has an announcement on their site that My Vodafone will be going down for maintenance on October 30th at 10pm until 31st at 7am.

Maybe updating for esim as this follows Apples event.....

dd1c2051bdb97e83b6ff2b6d9b27e1d8.jpg

Last edited:

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Hi, everybody,
in the current beta of iOS 12.1 it is possible to add an eSIM contract. This currently works in Germany with Telekom and Vodafone (but you have to add this manually with Vodafone and not through the scan).

I have been using Vodafone's eSIM in my Xs Max for 2 days now and everything is working fine - there is no physical SIM at the moment - just put my physical Vodafone SIM in for testing purposes.

Here are some pictures that you are welcome to use, no problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me :)

View attachment 790919 View attachment 790920 View attachment 790921 View attachment 790922

Have you ever noticed any difference or improvement in signal strength or reception from SIM to eSIM?

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Hi, everybody,
in the current beta of iOS 12.1 it is possible to add an eSIM contract. This currently works in Germany with Telekom and Vodafone (but you have to add this manually with Vodafone and not through the scan).

I have been using Vodafone's eSIM in my Xs Max for 2 days now and everything is working fine - there is no physical SIM at the moment - just put my physical Vodafone SIM in for testing purposes.

Here are some pictures that you are welcome to use, no problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me :)

View attachment 790919 View attachment 790920 View attachment 790921 View attachment 790922
I also have a Vodafone sim. I can’t figure out how to get the esim enrollment info. Can you explain it to me. I also speak German.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Jus
I'm going to be in Germany the first week of December. Is the eSIM available for visitors on a prepaid plan?
I’m chiming in here in case you haven’t already got an answer. Although I don’t know about Germany in particular, I can say that Vodafone Spain only allow eSim on pay monthly contracts, no PAYG or prepaid. There were 3 plans available Red S, Red M and Red L, although no good for travellers, unless you’re happy to pay a minimum of €24 per month (12 month contract) or €29 for monthly contract direct debited from your bank account in that country - in my case Spain.

At least at the moment, it seems the way forward is to switch your home country line to the eSim and use the physical Sim slot for travelling.

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
The opposite doesn't seem to be possible, at least I can't find the option. I can't disable the physical SIM and leave the eSIM active, unless I reboot the iPhone and omit to enter the PIN, so it will stay locked. There must be a better way...
iOS 12.1.1 beta lets one disable the physical SIM (but remaining in the slot), thus leaving only the eSIM active.

Reactions: ManuCH

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
iOS 12.1.1 beta lets one disable the physical SIM (but remaining in the slot), thus leaving only the eSIM active.

Yes, and that works perfectly! Just one bug seems to be left: if I disable the physical SIM, the iCloud Instant Hotspot feature stops working. I need to enable the hotspot manually. As soon as I re-enable the phyiscal SIM, Instant Hotspot reappears.

Reactions: DeanL

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Yes, and that works perfectly! Just one bug seems to be left: if I disable the physical SIM, the iCloud Instant Hotspot feature stops working. I need to enable the hotspot manually. As soon as I re-enable the phyiscal SIM, Instant Hotspot reappears.

Is the eSIM your primary SIM?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Actually, yes! Check out Gigsky, Truphone and https://esim.plus

Those are good providers, sure. What I meant is that most local (not global) providers you can find in countries you visit won't have eSIM available on prepaid plan (for example Wind in Italy). They are usually extremely cheap (like €5/month for 20 GB or things like that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.