Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I am curious how the physical sim works after you get an e-sim. My phone is unlocked, I have an att postpaid account I want to put on e-sim. Do I just put my tmobile(secondary number) physical SIM card in and the phone recognizes it?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I am curious how the physical sim works after you get an e-sim. My phone is unlocked, I have an att postpaid account I want to put on e-sim. Do I just put my tmobile(secondary number) physical SIM card in and the phone recognizes it?

Yes, that's exactly right.

You can designate either cellular plan as primary for data and primary for voice, and they don't have to be the same.

There is a minor quirk in iOS that will tend to view your physical SIM cellular plan as "Number 1" and this can sometimes cause some applications to identify services incorrectly.

For example, as of right now, the popular application Open Signal will report that you are using whatever plan is in your physical SIM even though it's very clear that it is really pulling data from the eSIM.

There's no harm done, just some minor reporting issues for *them* not you. :)

Reactions: jev425

azulon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
This thread will focus on all the questions not covered by Apple. Thanks to njcyx6649250 for the help!

Here are a few things you may want to know before diving in the Q&A:
  • There are three ways of activating an eSIM. Know which method your carrier uses, because that will determine how you get eSIM working on your phone:
    • Method #1 involves the carrier having physical QR Codes with an ICCID (just like a normal SIM card). When you activate via this method, all the carrier need is the ICCID on the card. The eSIM swap process is identical to a normal SIM's. AT&T does that.
    • Method #2 involves the carrier collecting your EID (eSIM ID) and the secondary IMEI. Then, you need to scan the QR Code or enter manually your carrier's SM-DP+ address, and your phone will automatically retrieve the SIM profile. (Verizon and T-Mobile do that).
    • Method #3 involves using a carrier app. T-Mobile USA, Verizon, Gigsky and Truphone do that. The process is easy and transparent for the user.
  • Any carrier that supports one of the activation methods above (or GSMA methods) can support the iPhone, even if Apple does not list them officially. (eSIM+ is an example)
The following devices have an eSIM: iPhone XS, XS Max, XR; iPad Pro (2018)

Here are the support documents by Apple:
Read more about the eSIM GSMA standard here.

This post is a wiki, so if you have an eSIM, see a question and know the answer, feel free to add the question and the answer.
General Questions
Q: Does the eSIM survive a restore?
A: Yes.

Q: Does that mean I can always locate a lost iPhone?
A: No. In fact, Apple missed what could have been the greatest feature of all time: as per these screenshots and video, an iPhone with eSIM activated has the eSIM profile persist restores, even DFU restores. That means that a thief can’t just throw away your SIM and call it a day.
BUT… It can’t be located. It won’t get past Activation Lock, but you won’t be able to locate it either even though your lost phone is technically connected to the internet.
Fix that, Apple.​

Q: Can you set up eSIM out of the box?
A: No. iOS 12.1 doesn’t allow an eSIM to be set up out of the box: the iPhone needs to be set up to scan a QR Code (tried on iPhone XR restored with 12.1 beta).​

Q: Can you re-use a eSIM QR code card to transfer the service on another phone (like swapping a physical SIM)?
A: No. Once it has been activated with a phone, it can't be used on another phone.​

Q: Can you use the same QR code to add your eSIM account back, if you accidentally delete your eSIM account?
A: Yes but only for a limited time. I was able to delete and re-add an AT&T eSIM, but after two days it wouldn't​

Q: If I mistakenly lost my eSIM QR card, which has been used to activate my current line, do I need to worry about?
A: No. It can only be used with your phone.​

Q: Can I use Wi-Fi calling on both lines?

Q: Any special tips to activate eSIM card?
A: Your phone must be connected to Wi-Fi when activating the eSIM, because it needs internet to retrieve the profile.
Q: Why does my iPhone have two different IMEI/MEID?
A: the "Primary" IMEI is the IMEI of the physical SIM slot, and the "Digital SIM IMEI" is for the eSIM. Because the iPhone XR/XS is dual-standby (can be connected to two carriers at the same time), the IMEI can't be the same for two active SIMs.​

Q: Is there a hidden dual-SIM tray on iPhone XS Max and XR sold outside of China?
A: No.
Q: How many eSIMs can I store on my phone?
A: More than 3 for sure, but the limit is unknown.
Q: Can I use dual-sim with two eSIMs?
A: No. Dual-SIM is only with one eSIM and one physical SIM.
Q: Is it better to use eSIM or a physical SIM with my main carrier?
A: It depends. If when you travel, you want to set-up a GigSky plan on your phone, you won't be able to use both your home carrier and GigSky because you can do dual-SIM only with one eSIM and one physical SIM.
On the other hand, having your main carrier on eSIM means that someone can't just take the SIM out of your phone to get 2FA codes.
There are many variables to consider.​

Q: Can I turn off the eSIM?

Q: Can the physical SIM be turned off too?
A: Yes, with iOS 12.1.1.
Q: Can I use WhatsApp with two phone numbers?
A: No.
Q: Does the Apple Watch support Dual-SIM too?
A: Yes! But not Dual-Standby and:
  • The keypad dialer will always use the default line
  • When dialing using Contacts or recent calls, it will respect the tags assigned (Primary or Secondary for example)
  • The Apple Watch can have more than one eSIM plan: if your secondary SIM provider supports the Watch, then you can add it too (it's greyed on my screenshots because I am roaming).
Q: Can the eSIM roam?
Q: Can I send an iMessage/SMS to the same person from different line?
A: Yes, but before you can start using a different line for an iMessage/SMS conversation, you need to delete the existing conversation and start a new one.

Q: What happens if someone sends an iMessage/SMS to a different line?

Q: My phone is locked. What do I do?
A: If your phone is locked, you must unlock both IMEIs (the Physical SIM IMEI and the eSIM IMEI). Unlocking only one of them doesn't work.
Q: How to permanently remove the eSIM profiles?
A: Restoring your device does not erase the eSIM.
If you're planning to sell your eSIM device (iPhone or iPad Pro 3rd Gen), do not simply restore your phone. Restoring your phone through iTunes will not erase the eSIM!

The only way to erase the eSIM profiles is in the device's settings.
You need to go in Settings > General > Reset.
There, you have two choices:
- Tap Remove All Data Plans, then restore by any method or;
- Erase All Content and Settings, and click "Erase All" when prompted.​

Carrier Specific Questions
AIS Thailand
3HK Roaming
T-Mobile USA (Travel to USA, Voice, Data and SMS)
Truphone (International Travel)
Gigsky (International Travel, data only)
eSIM+ (International Travel, data only)
Ubigi (International Travel, data only)
(thanks @OpenTeq )
Bell Canada
EE UK eSIM Activation Page / EE Support Page
Globe Telecom
Ooredoo Qatar eSIM Page
T-Mobile USA (also see this post)
Verizon Dual-SIM page
(thanks @rbalkun)
Virgin Mobile Canada eSIM Page
Vodafone Germany eSIM Page
Vodafone Qatar
(thanks @M.Rizk)

So my question is what happens when a device is blacklisted since it's lost, can the thief/finder delete the e-sim profile and the carrier is totally unable to track it or re-add it back? The thing is I don't use Face ID protection or any iCloud lock since it's like for the family and no we just won't do it. so answer that, can that happen or not once it's blacklisted? once it's blacklisted, the carrier is probably going to disallow esim profile deletion because they are actively tracking it down? I mean, I don't have a lot of my personal data on there or anything since my iCloud isn't synced to it. But I do worry honestly speaking of it. Please answer all these questions.
[doublepost=1550527956][/doublepost]
Yes, that's exactly right.

You can designate either cellular plan as primary for data and primary for voice, and they don't have to be the same.

There is a minor quirk in iOS that will tend to view your physical SIM cellular plan as "Number 1" and this can sometimes cause some applications to identify services incorrectly.

For example, as of right now, the popular application Open Signal will report that you are using whatever plan is in your physical SIM even though it's very clear that it is really pulling data from the eSIM.

There's no harm done, just some minor reporting issues for *them* not you. :)

So my question is what happens when a device is blacklisted since it's lost, can the thief/finder delete the e-sim profile and the carrier is totally unable to track it or re-add it back? The thing is I don't use Face ID protection or any iCloud lock since it's like for the family and no we just won't do it. so answer that, can that happen or not once it's blacklisted? once it's blacklisted, the carrier is probably going to disallow esim profile deletion because they are actively tracking it down? I mean, I don't have a lot of my personal data on there or anything since my iCloud isn't synced to it. But I do worry honestly speaking of it. Please answer all these questions.
[doublepost=1550528714][/doublepost]
On my iPhone XS I have an eSIM from EE in the UK and a physical SIM from SKY in the UK. E-mails (three mail-accounts on Exchange 2016) are not pushed immediately when I have mobile data active through the eSIM, the phone is locked and on battery. When using mobile data on the physical SIM and Wi-Fi, e-mails are pushed through just fine. Any ideas for why not pushed when only using the eSIM?

[doublepost=1550528843][/doublepost]
Here are some other inputs:

(Disclaimer: the above and following information are based on our ATT eSIM card tests and discussions (forum link). unofficial. only for your reference. maybe significantly changed later)

Q: Can you use the same QR code to add your eSIM account back, if you accidentally delete your eSIM account?
You can use your same phone to scan the same QR code, then it will add the previous eSIM account back. Please note if your phone has been changed (IMEI changed), or if you have switched your account from this eSIM to standard SIM card, the activation on this eSIM card including this QR code will be expired. Then you need to obtain a new eSIM card from the carrier. By the same reason, it is recommend to take a picture of your original QR code, and save it for future use.

Q: If I mistakenly lost my eSIM QR card, which has been used to activate my current line, do I need to worry about?
A: No (at least for ATT).
This QR code has already been used to activate your line. Even a bad guy obtains this QR card somehow, he cannot use this card to activate any lines or transfer your line out of your phone. This QR card can only be used to activate 1) this specific activated phone and 2) your number.

Q: Can this eSIM card (ATT) be used to activate prepaid account? Or does it require a postpaid account?
A:
Based on multiple DPs, eSIM card can be activated on postpaid ATT account. Based on DeanLubaki's test, eSIM card can also be activated on prepaid ATT account (Yeah!). He uses ATT prepaid phone automated system to update ICCID & IMEI. Online updating may also work. Needs more DPs.

Q: I ordered this iPhone through carrier and this phone is locked, can I still use eSIM card?
A: (Needs more DPs).
If your phone is locked, you may still use eSIM card feature, but you can only use the same carrier for eSIM account and standard SIM account. For example, if your phone is ATT locked, you can only use ATT for eSIM and ATT for standard SIM. You cannot use tmobile for eSIM. ATT prepaid or MNVO may also work in locked phone.

Q: Is there any difference for unlock process?
A:
(Needs more DPs). You need to submit two unlock requests. One for standard SIM IMEI. Another for eSIM IMEI. See Post #22.

Q: Can I use WIFI calling on both lines?
A:
Yes, if your line supports WIFI calling. See picture in Post #25.

Q: My nearby ATT doesn't have eSIM. What can I do?
A:
1) Show the ATT agent eSIM picture, then ask for it gently. 2) Try a different store. It doesn't matter it is company store or authorized retail store. 3) Book a ticket then fly to the closest store which has eSIM (I'm kidding). 4) Wait. More and more ATT stores are getting this eSIM card.

Q: I got the eSIM card from store, but the ATT agent doesn't know how to use it.
A:
Teach that ATT agent how to use it (LOL). Ask him/her to update your IMEI (for eSIM), and also update the ICCID number on that QR card. Then you just scan the QR code and activate your line.

Or you can grab an unused eSIM card and contact ATT customer service via online chat or phone support, to update these two information. You can just mention that you want to switch your SIM card. You don't need to mention it is eSIM which may cause some troubles.

Please be nice to the ATT agents. iPhone eSIM function has not been officially released, and you may encounter some issues. ATT agents haven't been trained for this function yet. (I have been using 12.1 beta 5 OS and also eSIM for couple days. No issues found. But you are at your risk.).

Q: Any special tips to activate eSIM card?
A:
Your phone MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET WHEN YOU SCAN YOUR QR CODE! Otherwise it will show errors like "Can not activate cellular plan at this time" (See Post #156) or "Cannot change your data plan now". When you request to update your ICCID and IMEI, your old standard SIM card will be expired (no service), and you cannot connect to cellular internet then.

To be continued...

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I'm not exactly sure I understand your question, but to delete an eSIM profile, you need to navigate in the settings of the phone. In other words, the phone has to be unlocked. Even restoring it using iTunes doesn't delete the eSIM.
A carrier can't load an eSIM profile or prevent its removal, just like in the case of a physical SIM. Also, it's not the carrier's job to "track down" a lost device. The most they can do is blacklist it.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
So my question is what happens when a device is blacklisted since it's lost, can the thief/finder delete the e-sim profile and the carrier is totally unable to track it or re-add it back?

The eSIM cellular plan can be deleted if your iPhone is unlocked, yes, of course. If you recover the iPhone and the IMEI is not blacklisted then you would be able to re-add the eSIM cellular plan(s).

Reporting an iPhone lost or stolen will block the IMEI (and some other indicators) and it won't be able to be put onto any cellular plan, eSIM or physical SIM.

An iPhone can be tracked regardless of whether it has an active cellular plan, although of course doing this would normally be done only if it involved a serious criminal case. Your average everyday criminal is going to have a hard time stopping an iPhone from pinging, and even if he knows how to do that he's making the iPhone useless to his purpose, whatever that might've been.

If you do not want to use the security that Apple gives you, you're just making life worse for you. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use Face ID or other things you "just won't do" but to the extent you don't use these security protections, you're exacerbating your security problems. It's up to you, but you'll have to understand that you're making it all less secure.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
Ive had an issue with my max for a while. I have a contract EE sim as esim and a payg EE sim as the physical secondary line.
About once a week it can’t find the second line and asks me if I want to change my settings for dialling defaults (or something like that) I just restart the phone and I’ve got my two lines back. If I don’t the phone continues with the main line until I do restart.

It’s not that annoying, although it can be if I forget to restart my phone.

I’ve got an old three sim sitting around and I’m going to throw that in and see if it has the same issues.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Ive had an issue with my max for a while. I have a contract EE sim as esim and a payg EE sim as the physical secondary line.
About once a week it can’t find the second line and asks me if I want to change my settings for dialling defaults (or something like that) I just restart the phone and I’ve got my two lines back. If I don’t the phone continues with the main line until I do restart.

It’s not that annoying, although it can be if I forget to restart my phone.

I’ve got an old three sim sitting around and I’m going to throw that in and see if it has the same issues.

Sounds like a defective physical SIM to me.

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
May 29, 2018
Vienna
I have activated an esim as my private line and a physical sim as my business line. Can I assign a whole group of contacts to always use the business line or do I have to manually asign every single contact to this line?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I just started a chat through the imessages app. I said “I need to update the SIM for 480-XXX-XXXX, the new SIM number is ‘digital SIM ICCID’” and the rep updated it no questions asked.

We no longer have to use the URL to retrieve the SM-DP+ Address ?

If you did not have to do that, it might indicate that the T-Mobile systems are now set up to support fully our eSIM changes.

How do you have a Digital SIM ICCID before the cellular plan is added? 0_o

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
I just added 2nd line to my XR using eSim..pretty interesting how it works..

Attachments

• 44CACA74-D71F-41A0-937E-823FF3A1D739.png
    44CACA74-D71F-41A0-937E-823FF3A1D739.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 459
Last edited:

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
How do you have a Digital SIM ICCID before the cellular plan is added? 0_o

Still a little confused about the procedure outlined a few posts above for a T-Mobile account, whereby the poster said he simply gave the CSR a Digital SIM ICCID before the cellular plan is added.

Did he mean the "Digital SIM IMEI"??

As far as I know, you still need the URL for the SM-DP+ Address and you would not have the ICCID until after the cellular plan is created.

What am I missing, and has T-Mobile changed its procedures now?

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Still a little confused about the procedure outlined a few posts above for a T-Mobile account, whereby the poster said he simply gave the CSR a Digital SIM ICCID before the cellular plan is added.

Did he mean the "Digital SIM IMEI"??

As far as I know, you still need the URL for the SM-DP+ Address and you would not have the ICCID until after the cellular plan is created.

What am I missing, and has T-Mobile changed its procedures now?

I think he meant the eSIM EID. AT&T half activated my iPhone using that, CS Rep didn’t know the system wouldn’t let him go all the way with it, and I have activated more than one iPad using that EID. If T-Mobile is setup for it you could give them that in chat and be on your way.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I think he meant the eSIM EID. AT&T half activated my iPhone using that, CS Rep didn’t know the system wouldn’t let him go all the way with it, and I have activated more than one iPad using that EID. If T-Mobile is setup for it you could give them that in chat and be on your way.

Using the EID plus the URL for the SM-DP+ Address is the way we know we can do it.

I was afraid I missed something and he was saying that there was now official T-Mobile support and/or a new procedure that did not require the URL.

I do not know why T-Mobile are being so cagey.

Those of us who have done it testify that the eSIM works perfectly, and T-Mobile human support is so wonderful that it defies logic they have not supported this officially.

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Anyone having any WiFi calling issues after activating T-Mobile postpaid eSIM? I live in an area where I heavily rely on WiFi calling.

Also, what happens to the physical sim after eSIM activiation. I presume it would be dead after eSIM switch but what if I want to switch devices (non eSIM device)? Do I have to pay sim fees to get a new T-Mobile sim?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Anyone having any WiFi calling issues after activating T-Mobile postpaid eSIM? I live in an area where I heavily rely on WiFi calling.

Also, what happens to the physical sim after eSIM activiation. I presume it would be dead after eSIM switch but what if I want to switch devices (non eSIM device)? Do I have to pay sim fees to get a new T-Mobile sim?

In the time my main T-Mobile cellular plan has been on an eSIM with an XS Max, I have had zero issues with WiFi Calling.

The physical SIM is not exactly dead, but it is waiting for you to have another cellular plan installed via that physical SIM. The only weird thing I can think of is an iOS related issue that will tend to view the physical SIM as #ONE in the firmware. It is a categorization weirdness that does not affect you in any way, but might affect some polling in particular applications.

For example, my primary cellular plan is the T-Mobile eSIM. My secondary cellular plan is Xfinity Mobile physical SIM.

When using OpenSignal, the application reports that I am testing Verizon (Xfinity Mobile), regardless of the fact that it is really pulling the cellular information from T-Mobile. I can even turn off the physical SIM plan completely, and it will still act like T-Mobile is Xfinity Mobile.

:shrug:

I've reported it. It's their problem and does not affect the user in any way.

Yes, if you are moving from an eSIM to a physical SIM using the same cellular plan, you might have to pay for a SIM card if you do not already have one, and you might pay an activation fee if you are using a T-Mobile store to do it.

If you tend to change devices often, you might want to consider just staying on a physical SIM. T-Mobile thinks that your main cellular plan should be on a physical SIM, and that your temporary travel numbers should be eSIM. The iOS oddity that I mentioned hints that T-Mobile are correct about this.

I think the reason why T-Mobile doesn't provide more support for eSIM is that it's just a very small percentage of their customers who will want to do it, but they're afraid that these customers will need more help while doing it.

If that makes sense.

Reactions: satpak and mofoliar

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. Yeah, I might be swapping devices and with those activation + SIM fees, it’s best for me NOT to use the eSIM feature.

I was so exited to use an iPhone with dual sim feature when it came out. Not going to happen for another couple of years looks like unless they release an iPhone with dual physical sim slots here in the US or at least until all US carriers fully/officially support it. I can even think of carriers charging a SIM card fee and that makes some sort of a sense to me but activation fee of $30+, c’mon!

In the time my main T-Mobile cellular plan has been on an eSIM with an XS Max, I have had zero issues with WiFi Calling.

The physical SIM is not exactly dead, but it is waiting for you to have another cellular plan installed via that physical SIM. The only weird thing I can think of is an iOS related issue that will tend to view the physical SIM as #ONE in the firmware. It is a categorization weirdness that does not affect you in any way, but might affect some polling in particular applications.

For example, my primary cellular plan is the T-Mobile eSIM. My secondary cellular plan is Xfinity Mobile physical SIM.

When using OpenSignal, the application reports that I am testing Verizon (Xfinity Mobile), regardless of the fact that it is really pulling the cellular information from T-Mobile. I can even turn off the physical SIM plan completely, and it will still act like T-Mobile is Xfinity Mobile.

:shrug:

I've reported it. It's their problem and does not affect the user in any way.

Yes, if you are moving from an eSIM to a physical SIM using the same cellular plan, you might have to pay for a SIM card if you do not already have one, and you might pay an activation fee if you are using a T-Mobile store to do it.

If you tend to change devices often, you might want to consider just staying on a physical SIM. T-Mobile thinks that your main cellular plan should be on a physical SIM, and that your temporary travel numbers should be eSIM. The iOS oddity that I mentioned hints that T-Mobile are correct about this.

I think the reason why T-Mobile doesn't provide more support for eSIM is that it's just a very small percentage of their customers who will want to do it, but they're afraid that these customers will need more help while doing it.

If that makes sense.
[doublepost=1552840166][/doublepost]I guess I can save my old physical SIM and call up T-Mobile CS to re-activate my old SIM, but I bet T-Mobile will find ways to charge me something, somehow.. :(

If that makes sense.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
The following devices now have an eSIM:
  • iPhone XS and later (XS Max, XR)
  • iPad Pro 2018 and later
  • iPad Air (3rd gen.) and later
  • iPad Mini (5th gen.) and later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.