Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I guess I can save my old physical SIM and call up T-Mobile CS to re-activate my old SIM, but I bet T-Mobile will find ways to charge me something, somehow.. :(

Most of us move from iPhone to a new iPhone.

So it wouldn't be a big deal. Just have a NOTE on your iPhone with the EID number and the URL for the SM-DP+ address.

When I converted my T-Mobile postpaid to eSIM, it only took a couple of minutes, and no charge ever appeared anywhere.

You can be mad at T-Mobile for not supporting eSIM in its application, but the support personnel are still the same good people they've always been. :)

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Thanks and I agree with your points that it wouldn't be a big deal. Although, the method works only in a scenario of upgrading only to newer iPhones from here on and that's about it. Doesn't work if I ever want to swap between Android/iPhone or even move back to older iPhones for that matter.

Also, the charges I'm talking about is moving back from e-SIM to physical SIM. You had mentioned about the possibility of such a charge (activation fee & SIM fee) in your post #648. If there wouldn't be any charge to swap between physical SIM and e-SIMs, then I'd have no issues following the e-SIM process outlined in the OP multiple times.

I agree, the % of people swapping phones is minority, but, both the workaround process and the charges, are definitely a hassle for those you want to. It doesn't seem seamless in this case. Sorry, not trying to pick on you. Just merely stating the facts.

Most of us move from iPhone to a new iPhone.

So it wouldn't be a big deal. Just have a NOTE on your iPhone with the EID number and the URL for the SM-DP+ address.

When I converted my T-Mobile postpaid to eSIM, it only took a couple of minutes, and no charge ever appeared anywhere.

You can be mad at T-Mobile for not supporting eSIM in its application, but the support personnel are still the same good people they've always been. :)

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Thanks and I agree with your points that it wouldn't be a big deal. Although, the method works only in a scenario of upgrading only to newer iPhones from here on and that's about it. Doesn't work if I ever want to swap between Android/iPhone or even move back to older iPhones for that matter.

Also, the charges I'm talking about is moving back from e-SIM to physical SIM. You had mentioned about the possibility of such a charge (activation fee & SIM fee) in your post #648. If there wouldn't be any charge to swap between physical SIM and e-SIMs, then I'd have no issues following the e-SIM process outlined in the OP multiple times.

I agree, the % of people swapping phones is minority, but, both the workaround process and the charges, are definitely a hassle for those you want to. It doesn't seem seamless in this case. Sorry, not trying to pick on you. Just merely stating the facts.
You think that is a bad charge? AT&T and their QR code printed eSIMs are terrible. I had to have a warranty replacement done and I had to go into a store to get a card and pay for it so I could move service from the old iPhone to the new iPhone. I would at least be somewhat ok if I actually needed a physical thing like a SIM card, but nope this a manufactured need by AT&T. The way they decided to implement their eSIMs for iPhones creates it. Worst part of it is that I have successfully called customer care to do that exact eSIM transfer from one iPad Pro 11inch to another. iPhones can’t be done over the phone like that with them.

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. Yeah, the e-SIM for iPhones is a great technology but the implementation or the hand-off to the carrier side feels half-done to me.

You think that is a bad charge? AT&T and their QR code printed eSIMs are terrible. I had to have a warranty replacement done and I had to go into a store to get a card and pay for it so I could move service from the old iPhone to the new iPhone. I would at least be somewhat ok if I actually needed a physical thing like a SIM card, but nope this a manufactured need by AT&T. The way they decided to implement their eSIMs for iPhones creates it. Worst part of it is that I have successfully called customer care to do that exact eSIM transfer from one iPad Pro 11inch to another. iPhones can’t be done over the phone like that with them.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. Yeah, the e-SIM for iPhones is a great technology but the implementation or the hand-off to the carrier side feels half-done to me.

I think you have made very valid points as those points affect you as an individual, so it is hard to argue because it is quite clear that the things you talked about affect you and your ideas.

Most of us would not countenance moving from iOS to Android.

What keeps us over here could very well be the ecosystem more than it is the excellence of a single device. While it is true that if you look at the S10 and test it you will see that it performs very closely to the iPhone, when you step back and think about everything that would come with integrating it securely, it is suddenly a far less attractive proposition.

Another thing to think about is that if it is likely that you need to use the multiple eSIM functionality of the iPhone, you are likely not to be bothered much by having to pay for a physical SIM if it ever happens. You are already probably buying physical SIM at airports around the world anyway.

Personally, I cannot care but so much about how T-Mobile are handling this.

They have allowed such an extraordinary rate for two cellular plans and a Watch that there is absolutely zero chance I would change carriers to get an easier way to manipulate eSIM. They even allow tethering and HD streaming on the iPhone that I carry the most.

They will have to get a lot stupider than this before I join the Support Forum complainers asserting they will leave T-Mobile because it is too hard to manipulate eSIM.

:)

Plus, Legere is about ½ crazy and that is just too, too entertaining.

calimacr

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
I travel often between US & India & iPhone XR's e-SIM feature comes handy to switch between local & international SIMs when in one of these countries. When I'm in the US, I obviously use my local SIM (Primary) for everything & enable voice & SMS only feature on my other Indian e-SIM (Secondary). I opt for 'Use Primary as your default line' when in US and I select the other option, 'Use Secondary as your default line' when in India.

The issue here is that, iPhone, by default uses the same number that was last used to call a contact. For example, I call my buddy in India using my Indian SIM when I'm in India. I then travel back to the US & call the same person back. iPhone by default uses my last used number, i.e., my Indian SIM in this case. I'd rather expect it to choose the local US SIM to avoid any international roaming charges on my Indian SIM (non-home network) or at least give me an alert stating that I'm about to place a call on a non-home network rather than pick the 'last used' option by default. Same issue happens the other way around as well i.e., call initiated in US and after going back to India, uses my US line to make the call.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Anyone here knows any solution/workaround to this issue? Please let me know. Would appreciate it.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Anyone here knows any solution/workaround to this issue? Please let me know. Would appreciate it.

Not at the moment.

You have to remember to change it manually.

In much of the world, people have “Personal” and “Business” numbers on the same iPhone, so they prefer a permanent number assignment.

I wonder if the majority of iPhone users are like them, who would prefer it this way, or like you, who are inconvenienced.

If you are a beta firmware tester, I would certainly use the Feedback+Suggestion feature. I doubt you are alone so you should add your feedback to see if there are enough of you to make a change.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I have been poking around and I see where and how you could add code to "Always Use Local SIM" but I am not sure that would solve your problem completely.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I can’t believe I could do without Dual SIM before. Thanks to eSIM this is finally a thing.

Traveled back to my home country (Egypt) to attend a cousin wedding and I am currently using an eSIM from Ooredoo Qatar (where I live) for data, and also to receive calls from friends, and using a pay as you go physical SIM from Etisalat Egypt for local calls and texting.

This setup is helping me save a lot as my Ooredoo Qatar plan includes 30 GB roaming everywhere but no calls or texting. This way I am paying the lowest rate for calls and texts while having free data :)

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
I tried using the My Verizon app on my XS to join Verizon using my eSIM. I can get through the prompts until I reach "Do you want a new number or transfer an existing number". I select transfer existing, type in the phone number, and it just sits there. I can't get past that point. Any trick to it?

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
The issue here is that, iPhone, by default uses the same number that was last used to call a contact.

I solved most of it by using Google Voice or Skype for the international calls.

For incoming calls when I was overseas:
I forwarded my US number to my US Skype Number. The call forward was free. Skype still did ring on my phone. I used data from the local SIM.
Besides data the call was free.
Actually since I am on T-Mobile One Plus the 256kbs free data was sufficient for VoIP calls.
My friends wouldn’t even know that I forwarded.

Outgoing calls:
I used Skype. Calls to US Numbers are free. Once more data only.
For close friends/family I used FaceTime Audio or WhatsApp.
Others may not recognize my Skype number. I can live with it.
However next time I will try my Google Voice via Hangouts and then the call while over data will potentially show my US number.

Summary:
Zero roaming fees while I was traveling.

Local SIM for 1.5 GB of data for 9.95 EUR was all I needed for 2.5 weeks.

calimacr

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
Thanks, iphone is my main phone and hence I cannot risk installing a beta version. However, I've provided feedback using a regular link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Not at the moment.

You have to remember to change it manually.

In much of the world, people have “Personal” and “Business” numbers on the same iPhone, so they prefer a permanent number assignment.

I wonder if the majority of iPhone users are like them, who would prefer it this way, or like you, who are inconvenienced.

If you are a beta firmware tester, I would certainly use the Feedback+Suggestion feature. I doubt you are alone so you should add your feedback to see if there are enough of you to make a change.

Thanks. I think it would help, although I sincerely hope Apple would provide a much simpler solution like a toggle button to always use a local SIM.

I have been poking around and I see where and how you could add code to "Always Use Local SIM" but I am not sure that would solve your problem completely.
[doublepost=1553136446][/doublepost]Thanks for the detailed explanation. That's exactly what I have been doing before the e-SIM on iPhones. I heavily relied on Hangouts and WhatsApp to make calls.

I needed permanent numbers both here in the US and also in India mainly as a convenience for myself and others. All my contacts have both my US and Indian numbers and will call me on one of the lines. Moreover my permanent postpaid Indian line costs me like $5/month for unlimited local calls and 10GB of data. I think of it is a hassle free (don't have to rely on multiple apps or data or explain to people about why I've a different number) and a cost effective solution perhaps.

Also, if you want Google Voice/Hangouts to show your own number, I think you may have to port your phone number over and set it as your GVoice number. You may also forward all calls from GVoice number to your phone number but I think every time you do an outgoing call, the called ID will have your Google Voice/Hangouts number, unless your phone number is ported over. You may want to check this though.

Cheers

I solved most of it by using Google Voice or Skype for the international calls.

For incoming calls when I was overseas:
I forwarded my US number to my US Skype Number. The call forward was free. Skype still did ring on my phone. I used data from the local SIM.
Besides data the call was free.
Actually since I am on T-Mobile One Plus the 256kbs free data was sufficient for VoIP calls.
My friends wouldn’t even know that I forwarded.

Outgoing calls:
I used Skype. Calls to US Numbers are free. Once more data only.
For close friends/family I used FaceTime Audio or WhatsApp.
Others may not recognize my Skype number. I can live with it.
However next time I will try my Google Voice via Hangouts and then the call while over data will potentially show my US number.

Summary:
Zero roaming fees while I was traveling.

Local SIM for 1.5 GB of data for 9.95 EUR was all I needed for 2.5 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Also, if you want Google Voice/Hangouts to show your own number, I think you may have to port your phone number over and set it as your GVoice number. You may also forward all calls from GVoice number to your phone number but I think every time you do an outgoing call, the called ID will have your Google Voice/Hangouts number, unless your phone number is ported over. You may want to check this though.
Cheers

You are correct regarding Google Voice. I ported my home phone number to Google Voice and gave up on a traditional home phone. So friends still have both. With this it would kind of work for me.

However better is actually Skype. It let you set your "Caller ID". I was just not aware of it during my last travel. I just tested it. I set Caller ID to my own number and it worked.

So this will be fairly hassle free at the next travel.

Here is my setup:
- Physical SIM: T-Mobile postpaid
- eSIM US: AT&T prepaid (for areas where T-Mobile has low coverage)

Travel to Europe:
- eSIM Telekom prepaid
- Phone line remains on Physical SIM - T-Mobile has unlimited international text and data with Edge speed
- Data I toggle (for calls and Navigation I keep T-Mobile - for other stuff I switch to the Telekom eSIM with LTE data) / With Instant Hotspot I connect my iPad to the eSIM data.
- Call forward of US T-Mobile to Skype (I have a Skype number and the incoming calls are free)
- Outgoing calls with Skype with Caller ID of my T-Mobile number

No removing case, no switching SIM. Just turn on Telekom eSIM and set the call forwarding. When I return, tun on AT&T eSIM and remove call forwarding.

Very low cost and with the eSIM setup much better than trips last year. Either local SIM and I gave up my US number completely (Hassle: couldn't forward text messages). Or we used the AT&T International plan with $10 + taxes/fees per day. 2 weeks was > $180.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
A quick question. I have an iPhone Xs Max. I have a post paid T-mobile SIM card. The last time I checked T-mobile allows e-sim only for prepaid customers. Has that changed? Can I go for an e-sim for my post paid family plan on T-mobile? When ever I travel overseas I carry a second phone so I insert the local SIM. Having e-sim, I can do with just one phone.
thanks much.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
A quick question. I have an iPhone Xs Max. I have a post paid T-mobile SIM card. The last time I checked T-mobile allows e-sim only for prepaid customers. Has that changed? Can I go for an e-sim for my post paid family plan on T-mobile? When ever I travel overseas I carry a second phone so I insert the local SIM. Having e-sim, I can do with just one phone.
thanks much.

They “allow” it but do not “support” it.

I am sure that most T-Mobile support personnel are going to know what you are doing if you contact them via the application and say you want to do a SIM swap, but then give them the [EID] number as the new SIM number.

The procedures for doing this have been mentioned several times, and it will be easy for you to find in this thread and in T-Mobile support forums.

The trickiest part is entering the URL to get the network to deliver you the SM-DP+ address.

T-Mobile has never told us why they do not support officially the post-paid plans, but I can only imagine that it has something to do with guaranteeing the level of support that would be required, together with signs in iOS that an eSIM was never intended to be for your primary cellular plan.

You might notice after putting your cellular plan on an eSIM that iOS will begin to refer to your physical SIM as Number One at various places in iOS code.

Why you say you want your T-Mobile main cellular plan on an eSIM is the same argument that posters have used in the T-Mobile support forums, but they have never responded with anything other than they will support it better at some point.

After I completed the procedure, I have never had the first problem with my T-Mobile cellular plan. Not one single little problem.

So if you have a reason for wanting your main T-Mobile cellular plan on an eSIM, I can testify that it is fully reliable.

But I am not sure that most of us who have done it really needed to do it. :)

My physical SIM is an Xfinity Mobile Verizon MVNO that I seldom use. There is no documented procedure for moving an Xfinity Mobile cellular plan to an eSIM.

EDIT: I inadvertently typed ECCID instead of EID.

Last edited:

il8on

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Has anyone had success adding postpaid T-Mobile eSIM lately? I am attempting to activate eSIM and am having issues.

Please confirm the ACTIVATION CODE must be blank.

Also, for CONFIRMATION CODE I have tried the last four of my social, the last four digits of line phone number and leaving it blank.

No dice.

Please help. Thank you.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Has anyone had success adding postpaid T-Mobile eSIM lately? I am attempting to activate eSIM and am having issues.

Please confirm the ACTIVATION CODE must be blank.

Also, for CONFIRMATION CODE I have tried the last four of my social, the last four digits of line phone number and leaving it blank.

No dice.

Please help. Thank you.

The correct procedure has been quoted here, and you're not doing it right. Please research the procedure and know what you're doing.

It's up to **YOU** to do this right, because T-Mobile support will only enable what you know yourself. They're not going to tell you how to do it.

My own post just a couple of posts above yours asked you to research this thread for the procedure.
[doublepost=1554134601][/doublepost]
T-Mobile might update their app to offer more painless process eventually, but I couldn't wait.

I followed solodogg's awesome instructions to activate eSIM on T-Mobile. I had to make few minor adjustments, but the process is relatively easy.

What you need:
  • iPhone XR, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max
  • Upgraded to iOS 12.1.1
  • SIM removal tool from your iPhone packaging or paperclip
  • Connected to Wi-Fi
  • T-Mobile app

1. Launch the Settings app, then General, then About. Hold onto EID field (probably begins with 8904) for few seconds and select Copy.
  2. Launch the T-Mobile app, then click on the text chat support icon (upper right corner, next to the phone support icon).
  3. When representative welcomes you (wait time was about 10 minutes for me), type "I would like to initiate a SIM swap. My EID is " (hold on to the text chat field then select Paste to fill in the EID number).
  4. T-Mobile rep might ask few minor questions like phone model and phone number.
  5. T-Mobile rep will eventually initiate the SIM swap, then send a confirmation PIN SMS (takes a minute or two).
  6. Type in the confirmation PIN.
  7. After few minutes, you will get a confirmation SMS. Thank the rep.
  8. Remove the physical SIM card (you do not need to shutdown your phone).
  9. Launch the Settings app, then Cellular, Add Cellular Plan, then Enter Details Manually.
  10. Enter the SM-DP+ Address: cust-005-v4-prod-atl2.gdsb.net
  11. Click Next. If it fails, repeat steps 9 and 10.
  12. If asked for Confirmation Code, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number or phone number.
  13. You are done. Verify Cellular, P2 page, making sure all the settings are unchanged and Cellular Plans and Usage are same as before. Your eSIM maybe initially assigned with "Secondary" Cellular Plan Label. Change it to "Primary" or whatever you prefer.
On the physical SIM slot, I am using a SIM card from the promotional voice line, which will be given to my younger kid eventually.

I'm quoting this because of the couple of people who have queried recently, evidently unaware that the precise instructions are here.

Reactions: OBirder

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
How can I get a T-Mobile prepaid eSIM in the app with a MasterCard based in the UK.

I’m travelling to the states in two weeks and wanted the eSIM set up ready.

I keep getting something wrong with your order.

f6d5bf5150b47090bee0d07b79010dd3.jpg

Not sure if this is because of the Zip code it asks for when entering credit card details. It doesn’t allow UK post codes.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
How can I get a T-Mobile prepaid eSIM in the app with a MasterCard based in the UK.

I’m travelling to the states in two weeks and wanted the eSIM set up ready.

I keep getting something wrong with your order.

f6d5bf5150b47090bee0d07b79010dd3.jpg

Not sure if this is because of the Zip code it asks for when entering credit card details. It doesn’t allow UK post codes.

I would venture to say that’s most likely what it is.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010

Can you call them to set it up?

I don't know why T-Mobile is not 100% with eSIM support of any kind, but it's just the way it is.

For most of us, T-Mobile makes up for it with good service and good prices.

Although...if you watch T-Mobile Support Forums, there are some very angry overseas customers who say they are abandoning T-Mobile over lack of eSIM support.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011

I don't know why T-Mobile is not 100% with eSIM support of any kind, but it's just the way it is.

Although...if you watch T-Mobile Support Forums, there are some very angry overseas customers who say they are abandoning T-Mobile over lack of eSIM support.

I’d have to ring them from the UK so would cost quite a bit. All I want to do it use the app and process the transaction so I have the eSIM when I get there but not looking likely.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011

T-Mobile were a waste of time. They just kept saying must be your signal rather than offer any decent information

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.