Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cdcdoc

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012

Attachments

• IMG_4804.PNG
    IMG_4804.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 232

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Mine stays on "no service".
It should switch to “(carrier name) using Mobile Data”. If it doesn’t work, then maybe you were in a zone where VoLTE is not available. It’s also very possible that it is not enabled for all carriers. iOS 13 is still in β and we do not know all of the technicalities behind this feature :(

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Perhaps this is not the appropriate threat but I was looking for someone who is using a dual SIM iPhone to answer some questions.

Can I set different ring signals on each number so I can differentiate them when they ring?

Can I set different Do Not Distrub settings based on the SIM. Have one SIM go directly to voice mail after 17:00 on weekends and all day long on weekends?

Anything else you can share about your experience with the dual SIM iPhone for someone considering switching to one.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Whilst not 'officially' supported, you've been able to get T-mobile eSim on postpaid for quite a while.

* if you get the right person or try enough times and don't expect help if something goes wrong. Maybe.

A company that makes you jump through hoops like this for a service all the others support freely doesn't deserve the effort. You're basically giving them money to make life more difficult for you. If they don't officially support, why work so hard to make it work when they clearly don't want you to? I went elsewhere but to each their own.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Perhaps this is not the appropriate threat but I was looking for someone who is using a dual SIM iPhone to answer some questions.

Can I set different ring signals on each number so I can differentiate them when they ring?

Can I set different Do Not Distrub settings based on the SIM. Have one SIM go directly to voice mail after 17:00 on weekends and all day long on weekends?

Anything else you can share about your experience with the dual SIM iPhone for someone considering switching to one.

No to all of this :(
You might want to look at this thread for other users' experience https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/

stefanoa

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
Hi,
I have Iphone XR with second ESIM with Truphone and works great. Is there any chanche to have an automatic data plan move when my fisical SIM is out of range? Regards

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Hi,
I have Iphone XR with second ESIM with Truphone and works great. Is there any chanche to have an automatic data plan move when my fisical SIM is out of range? Regards

iOS 13 has a switch that allows data to switch cellular plans automatically. I have not had a need to use it, so I can't testify to its efficacy just yet.

Either that, or I haven't even noticed when the data switches. :)

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I already have a T-Mobile esim (Postpaid) activated through the method suggested on one of the threads here.

do I just leave the way it is or should I call T-Mobile to get the official support?

The domain used is different from the one mentioned in the thread. However, I believe to get the official support, you may need to delete it and contact T-Mobile via their app to activate it again. Don’t go to their local stores or contact via social media support since they may charge a $20 assistance fee. I don’t recall anyone who switch from unofficial to official support for eSIM as yet other than what I did.

dave3x

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2013
I had been using eSIM with T-Mobile (postpaid) for months, up until a few weeks ago, when I cancelled the line. I decided today to re-activate it. They had to use another SIM ID to do it, as their system kicked back that the EID or whatever was in use. Once they did that, it let them enter the EID and the line activated. It's going on four hours now and voice works, but I can't use data at all, it keeps re-directing me to some u.web2go.com and telling me I don't have a data plan. I spoke with TForce on Twitter and they say its all setup correctly, and have no idea why I'm not getting data. I've rebooted about 15 times, and reset network settings about 7 times.

Using Verizon on physical SIM (as I had been for over a year), and was using eSIM with T-Mobile for probably 2-3 months before cancelling the line 3 weeks ago, now with the same setup, it doesn't want to let me use data.

Any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_0009.PNG
    IMG_0009.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0010.PNG
    IMG_0010.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 122

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I had been using eSIM with T-Mobile (postpaid) for months, up until a few weeks ago, when I cancelled the line. I decided today to re-activate it. They had to use another SIM ID to do it, as their system kicked back that the EID or whatever was in use. Once they did that, it let them enter the EID and the line activated. It's going on four hours now and voice works, but I can't use data at all, it keeps re-directing me to some u.web2go.com and telling me I don't have a data plan. I spoke with TForce on Twitter and they say its all setup correctly, and have no idea why I'm not getting data. I've rebooted about 15 times, and reset network settings about 7 times.

Using Verizon on physical SIM (as I had been for over a year), and was using eSIM with T-Mobile for probably 2-3 months before cancelling the line 3 weeks ago, now with the same setup, it doesn't want to let me use data.

Any ideas

Did you remove the eSIM cellular plan on the device after you cancel the line?

dave3x

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2013
Did you remove the eSIM cellular plan on the device after you cancel the line?
I removed it either a few minutes before I cancelled the line, or after, don't recall. It wasn't there anymore (for the past 3 weeks). I re-added it today with the link they sent me to scan the QR code, and it added just fine, I'm just stuck in a
"no data" limbo.

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
The domain used is different from the one mentioned in the thread. However, I believe to get the official support, you may need to delete it and contact T-Mobile via their app to activate it again. Don’t go to their local stores or contact via social media support since they may charge a $20 assistance fee. I don’t recall anyone who switch from unofficial to official support for eSIM as yet other than what I did.

Any reasons why I should change to this T-Mobile supported domain, given the issues some members are facing? Sorry for noob-ness

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Any reasons why I should change to this T-Mobile supported domain, given the issues some members are facing? Sorry for noob-ness

I recalled the previous method affected some users who have 360 handset protection with AppleCare. I think it might be best to use the official method supported to avoid that. However, I don't have that coverage from them. I noticed some improvement with lowest ping of 16ms and download speed as high at 150mpbs in certain areas. However, it might varies by location and do not notice any negative experience from unofficial to official in terms of coverage though.

Reactions: satpak

arforbes

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2018
I made the mistake of trying to switch from unofficial to the official. On the phone with Tmobile support now.. can't register the new "official" version of the esim.

dave3x

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2013
I made the mistake of trying to switch from unofficial to the official. On the phone with Tmobile support now.. can't register the new "official" version of the esim.
If they're running into the issue saying the EID or whatever is already in use have them switch you to a DUMMY SIM (that's what they called it for me), and then enter your EID again -- that's what allowed them to get my EID to work again, but I'm still stuck with no damn data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.