Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I thought I would post in here about my recent education regarding eSims and Vodafone here in the UK.

I recently had my iPhone 14 pro Max replaced by Apple, and it was using an eSIM.

The chap didn’t ask me about my Sim card or even offer to remove it for me when he said he would be replacing it.

The problem arose when the new phone came out and the Genius asked me for my Sim card.

I then explained to him that I was on an eSIM, and I could tell from his body language at that moment that there was a problem.

The QR codes that I had already received from my original eSim, no longer worked, so I went home, jumped on my Wi-Fi and tweeted Vodafone.

They said I would have to contact customer service and gave me the phone number.

After doing the dance with more QR codes, I was transferred to someone else who informed me that I would now have to go into a Vodafone store, pick up a physical Sim, get my number activated on that and then get that converted into an eSIM.

It beggars belief that Vodafone’s process involves getting a physical SIM to get an eSim, when North Americans iPhones don’t even use SIM cards and clearly can get eSims activated should they change their phone for whatever reason (which is just how it should be with an electronic SIM.

So I guess this is more of a heads up than anything else.

If the initial chap that took my phone had said “It’s going to be about 90 minutes to swap your phone chassis, so as you’re on an eSim, pop downstairs to the Vodafone shop, get a new SIM card and then ask them to convert to an eSim for you”, then none of this **** would have happened.

But he didn’t, and I ended up stressed and flabbergasted at such a backward process that Vodafone have for such a modern feature.
Pretty sad on Vodafones side aint it. Im using a Vodafone eSim via esim dot net whilst in the UK with zero issues activation or reactivation wise, just scan and go.Matter of fact I have been switching between various eSim carriers here during my 6 month stay with zero issue. Lycamobile, O2 and Vodafone, latter two being supplied by esim.net. I believe these issues must be related to either lack of training or red tape by the carrier themselves, since the third party reseller I used in the UK was seamless.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The networks make it so. You should be pressuring your network to adopt the right standards.
I agree...I voice my displeasure to them all the time. Not just the agents but upstream via their social media pages.
I am not sure it does anything.
They need to evolve this process so it is just automatic.

Reactions: 4sallypat

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I thought I would post in here about my recent education regarding eSims and Vodafone here in the UK.

I recently had my iPhone 14 pro Max replaced by Apple, and it was using an eSIM.

The chap didn’t ask me about my Sim card or even offer to remove it for me when he said he would be replacing it.

The problem arose when the new phone came out and the Genius asked me for my Sim card.

I then explained to him that I was on an eSIM, and I could tell from his body language at that moment that there was a problem.

The QR codes that I had already received from my original eSim, no longer worked, so I went home, jumped on my Wi-Fi and tweeted Vodafone.

They said I would have to contact customer service and gave me the phone number.

After doing the dance with more QR codes, I was transferred to someone else who informed me that I would now have to go into a Vodafone store, pick up a physical Sim, get my number activated on that and then get that converted into an eSIM.

It beggars belief that Vodafone’s process involves getting a physical SIM to get an eSim, when North Americans iPhones don’t even use SIM cards and clearly can get eSims activated should they change their phone for whatever reason (which is just how it should be with an electronic SIM.

If the initial chap that took my phone had said “It’s going to be about 90 minutes to swap your phone chassis, so as you’re on an eSim, pop downstairs to the Vodafone shop, get a new SIM card and then ask them to convert to an eSim for you”, then none of this **** would have happened.

But he didn’t, and I ended up stressed and flabbergasted at such a backward process that Vodafone have for such a modern feature.

I don’t hand my phone over to the “genius” until I’m done with it.

When setting up the new phone, it asks if you want to transfer an eSIM from another phone. It’s a simple process.

It’s sad that the Vodafone employees, nor the Apple one are versed on eSIM operations. I’ve had the same problems (people not knowing how to do their job) here in the USA.

Reactions: Azzin

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

When setting up the new phone, it asks if you want to transfer an eSIM from another phone. It’s a simple process.

It’s sad that the Vodafone employees, nor the Apple one are versed on eSIM operations. I’ve had the same problems (people not knowing how to do their job) here in the USA.
Yeah, as I mentioned, all it would have taken from the Genius at the start, was to ask about my SIM, or at least try to remove it for me.

This would have prompted a conversation that would have meant that none of the eventual problems ever happened.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011

Unfortunately that facility is only available with the EE Network in the UK.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011

Your main problem here is that they took the phone before giving you the new one. You could have got a new QR code and done a sim swap but would have needed old phone to get a text message to with it. It’s a bit backwards really. Wish they would all employ the Apple Standard to do a quick transfer.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Has anyone with AT&T been able to successfully disable international roaming from AT&T’s end to be able to use a Greek cellular plan in that nation? This Redditor says they did just that but their AT&T plan kept connecting to Greek cell towers anyway:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/w84036
You need to ask them to block it in your account. This person’s rep might not have blocked it correctly.
When it’s blocked, the phone shows no service at all

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Has anyone with AT&T been able to successfully disable international roaming from AT&T’s end to be able to use a Greek cellular plan in that nation? This Redditor says they did just that but their AT&T plan kept connecting to Greek cell towers anyway:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/w84036
We just returned from Greece on holiday and had a dreadful time with eSIM activation and use in Greece.

Wife's 12PM used a physical SIM from Orange which went perfectly smooth as soon as we landed in Athens.

Son's Samsung S23 was easy by scanning a QR code at a Vodaphone store in Greece - 5G service super fast data!

Mine was a nightmare - 14PM took over an hour inside a Athens Vodaphone store (luckily it was air conditioned) - many calls later and finally got it working - no phone number displayed on my phone & 4G service.

IMG_ED1AD77F877D-1.jpeg

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I have a weird issue, hoping to get some help here. I am in the USA, using 2 sims... 1 is Verizon (For all my data needs) and 1 is T-Mobile (For calls mostly, but data is used as a backup, see below)

Here is the issue. I have no problem leaving Verizon on for ALL data, however when I am on a phone call (which uses my Tmobile #) there is no way that Data works at all. So basically, my phone is "data swapping" to the t-mobile data when I really do not want it to.

I called Verizon, they have no answer. I called Tmobile, and they have no answer. I am sure the nice people within Macrumors are more helpful!

If it is at all helpful, I use the Tmo phone line as "Primary" and the Verizon line as "Secondary"

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I have a weird issue, hoping to get some help here. I am in the USA, using 2 sims... 1 is Verizon (For all my data needs) and 1 is T-Mobile (For calls mostly, but data is used as a backup, see below)

Here is the issue. I have no problem leaving Verizon on for ALL data, however when I am on a phone call (which uses my Tmobile #) there is no way that Data works at all. So basically, my phone is "data swapping" to the t-mobile data when I really do not want it to.

I called Verizon, they have no answer. I called Tmobile, and they have no answer. I am sure the nice people within Macrumors are more helpful!

If it is at all helpful, I use the Tmo phone line as "Primary" and the Verizon line as "Secondary"

That's expected behavior: depending on variables like whether it's a VoLTE call and what frequencies each carrier is using, you cannot have data on carrier A active while having a call with carrier B at the same time. The only solution is to have "allow cellular data switching" enabled, so that it uses your voice call carrier also for data while you are in a call. The iPhone has only one cellular radio.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
That's expected behavior: depending on variables like whether it's a VoLTE call and what frequencies each carrier is using, you cannot have data on carrier A active while having a call with carrier B at the same time. The only solution is to have "allow cellular data switching" enabled, so that it uses your voice call carrier also for data while you are in a call. The iPhone has only one cellular radio.

Thank you. I could not figure it out, as my wife who also has Verizon has no issue with VOLTE... well technically 5G

Is it safe to say that I can't do this without data switching? If so I will leave it on, but I feel like it is killing my battery having 2 lines for data going back and forth (especially during calls)

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Thank you. I could not figure it out, as my wife who also has Verizon has no issue with VOLTE... well technically 5G

Is it safe to say that I can't do this without data switching? If so I will leave it on, but I feel like it is killing my battery having 2 lines for data going back and forth (especially during calls)

In my opinion you cannot do this without data switching, correct. Leaving it on will not drain your battery at all, as it only switches when really need (as in, when in a call) and your data usage during a call will likely be minimal. So you can safely leave that on with no discernible battery impact.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yay. I was researching carrier options/promos in the Philippines and it looks like the second largest carrier already had prepaid eSIM support since July. The largest carrier has announced that they will add prepaid eSIM support by end of Q3 2023.

Apple first added eSIM to their iPhones and iPads in 2018 (although I think the Watch got it a year earlier). Both carriers have supported eSIM for a few years but only for postpaid customers. They didn’t seem to have any solid timeframe for providing eSIMs for prepaid users. I guess Apple is really able to put pressure on carriers as just 1 year from the release of the eSIM-only iPhone 14, the PH carriers finally got off their bums and added support for prepaid eSIM.

Reactions: tripleburst

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Would appreciate some answers from anyone with experience using eSIMs in Italy lately with American iPhone 14's. Was told by two mobile stores this past summer in Italy that I could not use an Italian eSIM on my unlocked iPhone 14 Pro that had an AT&T eSIM.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Would appreciate some answers from anyone with experience using eSIMs in Italy lately with American iPhone 14's. Was told by two mobile stores this past summer in Italy that I could not use an Italian eSIM on my unlocked iPhone 14 Pro that had an AT&T eSIM.
I use esim extensively globally and I've never heard of or experienced an esim being incompatible because of another esim. It would defeat the object of having the dual facility. The only thing I would suggest is trying it if the cost is not great.

Reactions: d.o.p.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I use esim extensively globally and I've never heard of or experienced an esim being incompatible because of another esim. It would defeat the object of having the dual facility. The only thing I would suggest is trying it if the cost is not great.
I'm convinced both carrier stores that I went to are not accustomed to international travelers seeking a second eSIM. (It's a relatively small town.)

As annoying as it is, I'll probably just get a refurbished iPhone from Apple next summer to bring to Italy just to be safe.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm convinced both carrier stores that I went to are not accustomed to international travelers seeking a second eSIM. (It's a relatively small town.)

As annoying as it is, I'll probably just get a refurbished iPhone from Apple next summer to bring to Italy just to be safe.

At least now that they’re available, the implementation of prepaid eSIMs in the Philippines is DIY. You just buy a $2 card with a QR code and add the eSIM to the phone yourself. No need for customer service assistance.

We’ll be staying in the capital. However, I expect getting a knowledgeable agent is still hit or miss considering eSIMs are mainly found on iPhones and higher end Androids.

With that said, I still got some $150 Tracfone iPhone SE3s from Walmart (unlockable in 2 months) to use for our holiday trip. The 9 year old design makes it less of a thief magnet.

mjc775

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019

I haven’t been to Italy, but I used Airalo when I went to Thailand in early 2020. You just buy your data before you travel, then your time starts as soon as you connect to the foreign network. https://www.airalo.com/italy-esim

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I used 80 GB this summer in Italy over a month and they don't offer voice. And yes I need voice as well.

Lol, I wonder how much data we’re going to need for our PH trip (vacation and visiting family). Some of our family don’t keep always on data on their smartphones so we also still need regular voice and SMS for keeping in contact when we’re out and about.

I’ve looked at the rates and local is a lot cheaper than Airalo. Airalo’s highest plan is $32/20GB/30 days so that’s $160 for 5 lines just for data. Meanwhile, I have several choices for local plans that would only cost $45-60 total for 5 lines (24-80GB of data with unlimited calls & SMS).

Reactions: jtkboston

dmitry.maslov

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
Hey. Perhaps there was already a question) I apologize)
Tell me, in most countries the iPhone 14 comes with one nano SIM + eSIM. And you can have 3 active numbers at the same time - nano SIM + 2 eSIM.
How are things going with the iPhone 14 version for China. There are 2 nano SIM + eSIM. Does this mean I can have 4 active numbers? 2 nano SIM + 2 eSIM.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Hey. Perhaps there was already a question) I apologize)
Tell me, in most countries the iPhone 14 comes with one nano SIM + eSIM. And you can have 3 active numbers at the same time - nano SIM + 2 eSIM.
How are things going with the iPhone 14 version for China. There are 2 nano SIM + eSIM. Does this mean I can have 4 active numbers? 2 nano SIM + 2 eSIM.
On normal model You can only ever have 2 numbers working ‘active’ at the same time. This can be 1 physical and 1 esim or 2 esim. On China version I’m pretty sure you can have any 2 active at the same time.

When I say ‘active’ I mean capable of making receiving calls or using data. You can of course have more esims installed and you can swap them around to be active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.