Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Yes I also turned off data for my primary line and set my secondary as default for voice and data. I think the switch to esim only for iphones was just premature, as neither my travel esim nor my primary line would work consistently, whereas local physical sim cards used to work fine--I assume because I could get physical sims from local carriers as opposed to relying on travel esims.
Im not doubting your poor reception experiences but I dont think there is any credible information that supports physical sims being more stable/better in use than an esim.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
The issues for me are more the networks Airalo uses aren’t always the best ones. So it’s more I get a poor signal rather than it just not working. I have a friend with primary eSIM who uses Airalo and he has experienced similar coverage in the same countries.
I have mostly had good experience with Airalo but I must admit that I do always check what network is used and its coverage.

Reactions: RPhoto

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
But in the mobile data section, it's painless to switch it to the esim. You can see the auto switch option too.

I recommend installing the esim before you travel, as it needs wifi connection to setup initially. Then when you get on the plane, deactivate data roaming on your primary sim. Go to Mobile Data and select the esim for data (and make sure the esim as data roaming on, as this is how Airalo works).

Then when you land, take the phone out of flight mode and the esim will kick in. You can then switch between the two as per above, if needed.

Airalo is good but I've had some ups and downs. Coverage in Japan was excellent, America (Alaska) was excellent, Finland was excellent, Namibia was awful and I'm currently in Denmark and in Billund it's not even worth having. Hoping it'll be better when I get to Coppenhagen.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. I can find my way around technology and this is already what I’m planning to do.

Caveat, my dad doesn’t want to learn so what will likely happen is he has no data when he returns to the US since I won’t be with him to switch the cellular data from Airalo back to AT&T. Either that or just before I leave, I enable ”Allow Cellular Data Switching” for the 7 days they’re left in the Philippines on their own and I risk paying roaming charges.

I’m also exploring the possibility of having AT&T completely block all international roaming services (both IDP and PPU) so the iPhone has no choice but to use Airalo abroad.

Coverage-wise, Airalo (Alpas Mobile) seems to use the Globe network in the Philippines. Both Globe and Smart have very good coverage in Metro Manila so I don’t think that will be an issue.

P.S. This wouldn’t be an issue if iOS’s Data Roaming: Off switch actually worked properly instead of still generating a few KB usage periodically.

Last edited:

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
@rui no onna Just for your Info. Alpas Mobile with Airalo is only capable of using 4G. If you want 5G you have to choose the World SIM in Airalo then it can connect to Smart 5G.

I swear on Airalo and Mobimatter for eSIM`s around the world but not for the Philippines. It is just to expensive.
Since last week you can buy an eSIM from Smart via E-Mail: https://smart.com.ph/Prepaid/esim

It is only 99peso. Unfortunately you have to register the SIM-Card and as Foreigner it will only be active for 30 days and you can expand it if you have a Visa (permantent or temporary). You can do all that before you travel to the Philippines. I just did that yesterday and everything worked. As I am a Dual Citizen I was able register it permanently.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
@rui no onna Just for your Info. Alpas Mobile with Airalo is only capable of using 4G. If you want 5G you have to choose the World SIM in Airalo then it can connect to Smart 5G.

I swear on Airalo and Mobimatter for eSIM`s around the world but not for the Philippines. It is just to expensive.
Since last week you can buy an eSIM from Smart via E-Mail: https://smart.com.ph/Prepaid/esim

It is only 99peso. Unfortunately you have to register the SIM-Card and as Foreigner it will only be active for 30 days and you can expand it if you have a Visa (permantent or temporary). You can do all that before you travel to the Philippines. I just did that yesterday and everything worked. As I am a Dual Citizen I was able register it permanently.

Yep, I’m aware. I’ve found aloSIM which can use Globe 5G and costs the same as Airalo/Alpas Globe LTE. And as you’ve mentioned, the Discover Global eSIM uses Smart 5G.

When I posted my initial query (September 25), prepaid eSIMs were hard to come by. Smart used to send the QR codes in printed cards. Scalpers would hoard and sell them for ₱500 on Shopee and Lazada, 5x the ₱99 retail price.

Lol, I bought Smart prepaid eSIMs for me and my brother as soon as email delivery became available (September 28). I plan to load these with MagicData+ 749 (48GB, 600 min, 600 SMS).

For my parents though, I need a solution that will work both in the Philippines and US without them needing to muck around settings. AT&T International Day Pass is the easiest but I’d prefer not to pay potentially $200-300 in roaming fees (the trip spans 2 billing cycles with 15-20 days per cycle).

Main options I’m considering for them right now are:
  • Smart - Pro: very inexpensive for a big data allotment, can use local number for calls and text; Con: either no data upon US return or allow cellular data switching and risk roaming charges for the last 7 days
  • Airalo Discover - Pro: should work seamlessly in both US and PH; Con: very pricey, I can get 96GB worth of Smart MagicData for their 3GB 30 day plan
I might mix them up (Smart 1st 28 days, Airalo Discover last 7 days). Anyway, I’m still researching options.

Seriously, though, the iPhone shouldn’t be generating a few KB trickle data charges when the setting Data Roaming is Off on a SIM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cruncher and ukms

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
P.S. This wouldn’t be an issue if iOS’s Data Roaming: Off switch actually worked properly instead of still generating a few KB usage periodically.
Interesting that you have experienced this. Is that something recent ? …. I travel extensively and have never known this happen.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
Yeah that is strange. I also never experienced that I got charged or it used Data when Data roaming is off.

Hatshepsut

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
Im not doubting your poor reception experiences but I dont think there is any credible information that supports physical sims being more stable/better in use than an esim.
I think it's more of a matter of the carrier--local carriers didn't have any pre-paid e-sims so I had to rely on these travel plans that had network-sharing deals with local carriers. As I understand it, local carriers will prioritize their own customers over those using these sharing plans so you're more likely to experience coverage/speed issues when using these travel plans that rely on network sharing.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Interesting that you have experienced this. Is that something recent ? …. I travel extensively and have never known this happen.

The last time I traveled was before getting a dual SIM iPhone (pre-pandemic) so I always just had my US iPhone (SIM-locked to AT&T) on airplane mode while I used my previous unlocked iPhone with local SIM.

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
And this is why we need iPhone to have an airplane setting per SIM. If we had that, we could set our US SIM to airplane mode, enable the travel SIM, and use "wifi" calling on the US line using either wifi or cellular data on the other SIM.

I don't hold out hope to actually get this, since it would erode international roaming revenue for the big US carriers.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE

The last time I traveled was before getting a dual SIM iPhone (pre-pandemic) so I always just had my US iPhone (SIM-locked to AT&T) on airplane mode while I used my previous unlocked iPhone with local SIM.
Interesting…. Never seen this before.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
And this is why we need iPhone to have an airplane setting per SIM. If we had that, we could set our US SIM to airplane mode, enable the travel SIM, and use "wifi" calling on the US line using either wifi or cellular data on the other SIM.

I don't hold out hope to actually get this, since it would erode international roaming revenue for the big US carriers.
I get what you are saying but separate airplane modes defeats the object of having an airplane mode 😃

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Not quite airplane mode but I’d like to have a disable roaming option for voice+message+data that actually works properly.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Surenmunoo

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
New Zealand
Im in New Zealand and use 1 physical sim for work calls and an e-sim for my personal calls. After calls on either sim, I need to engage flight mode and then turn off so that the other sim can make/receive calls. Why is that? Both sims are from the same service provider so same network. Using 15 Pro Max, never had this issue with 14 Pro Max before.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Not quite airplane mode but I’d like to have a disable roaming option for voice+message+data that actually works properly.
I have to observe that it doesn’t seem to be a particularly widespread problem …. Otherwise tons of people would be shouting from the rooftops on here. Although I could be wrong.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have to observe that it doesn’t seem to be a particularly widespread problem …. Otherwise tons of people would be shouting from the rooftops on here. Although I could be wrong.

Perhaps the data leak part may not be prevalent but as far as I can tell, there’s no way to disable roaming for voice+messages on the iPhone. Like @jtkboston, I’d like to be able to disable roaming on a line completely but still be able to use it with voice over wifi or cellular data.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Perhaps the data leak part may not be prevalent but as far as I can tell, there’s no way to disable roaming for voice+messages on the iPhone. Like @jtkboston, I’d like to be able to disable roaming on a line completely but still be able to use it with voice over wifi or cellular data.

You can tell your carrier to disable international roaming completely, so your phone will always show No Service if you don't have WiFi or Cellular Data on your secondary SIM or eSIM.

Reactions: ukms

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I would ask the question can you do that on any phone ? … this seems to be directed at the iPhone but it maybe a technical reason at the carrier level that prevents this. If it was that easy few people would ever need to use the whole host of VOIP apps that exist.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You can tell your carrier to disable international roaming completely, so your phone will always show No Service if you don't have WiFi or Cellular Data on your secondary SIM or eSIM.

I’ve already removed International Day Pass and Travel Pay-Per-Use from our lines. We’ll see what happens when we arrive at our destination (still a couple of months away).

Reactions: Fred Zed

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Here is my situation. AT&T Customer.
I have a 14 Pro Max with e-sim (of course).
My wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max with physical sim was upgradable so I used that line to get the new 15 Pro Max.

In prior years, I would just switch out the sim cards but that is not possible.

So, what is my best plan of action? (I'm expecting the new phone to be delivered tomorrow 10/13)

I can't transfer my esim to a physical sim now.
When I turn on the 15 Pro Max, will it let me choose another e-sim on my account?

Do I have to contact the carrier at all?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Here is my situation. AT&T Customer.
I have a 14 Pro Max with e-sim (of course).
My wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max with physical sim was upgradable so I used that line to get the new 15 Pro Max.

In prior years, I would just switch out the sim cards but that is not possible.

So, what is my best plan of action? (I'm expecting the new phone to be delivered tomorrow 10/13)

I can't transfer my esim to a physical sim now.
When I turn on the 15 Pro Max, will it let me choose another e-sim on my account?

Do I have to contact the carrier at all?

If I understand correctly, it sounds to me like you should convert the line on the 12 Pro Max to eSIM ahead of the arrival of the 15 Pro Max.

It's very easy to get the lines working correctly if the old phone is already an eSIM phone.

I recently upgraded from a 13 Pro Max to a 15 Pro Max and both eSIM were placed correctly on the new device.

In the past, I upgraded from a 12 Pro Max to the 13 Pro Max, and the single eSIM transferred flawlessly.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks. It was pretty intuitive for me. It prompted me for what phone number/account to use on each phone.
Gotta hand it to Apple...they have made the whole switch to new phone so easy! Including bring an existing cellular number tot he new phones. then asking to erase and remove all of your data from the old phone

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
i put my virginmobile simcard in the tray and using it as cellular data. and the other one is primary. but i turned it off. that should be okay right. still receive calls?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
i put my virginmobile simcard in the tray and using it as cellular data. and the other one is primary. but i turned it off. that should be okay right. still receive calls?

If you actually turned off the line in Settings - Cellular, then no, it's inactive and won't receive calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.