Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Im not a big tea fan but its better than instant coffee in other peoples houses when your out.

That's true of course. Honestly, I heard a guy in the metro screaming into his cellphone enthusiastically about going out to shop instant coffee. Multiple times! Think he wanted to tell his friend: Hey, I'm meeting Fritz and get some pot. Sure hope so.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Also, semi-seriously, if you're referring to the caffeine jolt, for a number of reasons, you get a much bigger caffeine jolt from brewed coffee than from espresso. Also, if you drink 4-5 espressos a day, you do sort of develop a tolerance.:eek:

If that's true then there is a big misconception about espresso around. Everyone I talk to seems to think one gets more caffeine from espresso than coffee, including me. :eek:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Also, semi-seriously, if you're referring to the caffeine jolt, for a number of reasons, you get a much bigger caffeine jolt from brewed coffee than from espresso. Also, if you drink 4-5 espressos a day, you do sort of develop a tolerance.:eek:

If that's true then there is a big misconception about espresso around. Everyone I talk to seems to think one gets more caffeine from espresso than coffee, including me. :eek:

I second that. My mother still brews and I have my regular shock when visiting her.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hmmm..I drink most of my tea with honey. But sugar to cover up the taste of the tea?? I'm confused.

Im not a big tea fan but its better than instant coffee in other peoples houses when your out.

I'm not a big tea fan either, but anything is better than bad coffee, and instant is not for human consumption.

On the few occasions I drink tea, I like it VERY strong, and nothing in it.

The last time I had tea was in the Palm Court of the The Empress Hotel which I visited on my last trip to Vancouver. We had High Tea, and when the waitree asked what kind of tea I wanted, I asked her for the STRONGEST tea available. I'm not sure, but I think it was Dajeerling, and almost black. Actually tasted like something, unlike most teas which taste like hot water to me.

EDIT: Sorry, drifting way OT here.:eek:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I second that. My mother still brews and I have my regular shock when visiting her.

Nobody asked, but I have a few minutes so I thought I would discuss, in my usually pedantic and annoying way, why espresso provides less of a caffeine jolt.

There are two types of coffee beans...Arabica and Robusta.

Arabica has about 1.5% caffeine by weight. Robusta has about 2.4-2.8% caffeine by weight.

From here on I'm going to make a lot of generalizations, so they can certainly be challenged.

Good espresso is made with Arabica beans. If not 100% Arabica, 85-90%...the Robusta is added mainly to increase the crema production. Inexpensive coffee, often used for drip, is mostly, if not totally, Robusta. So one major factor in caffeine content is the beans, and more often than not, espresso would have less caffeine than brewed because of the beans.

Espresso is generally made with dark to very dark roast beans, where brewed coffee blends tend to be lighter roast. In the roasting process, caffeine is "burned off"...some chemical/physical change that I don't understand. The darker the roast, the more of the caffeine burned off.

The extraction time with brewed coffee is much longer than with espresso. While granting that espresso is extracted under very high pressure and pulls the goodies in the coffee grinds very efficiently, the process takes 20-30 seconds. Brewed coffee is exposed to the water (which is extracting the coffee goodies) four about 4 MINUTES...pulling a lot of caffeine out.

Brewed coffee is generally a serving size of about 6-8 ounces, while espresso serving size is 2 - 2 1/2 ounces.

So, if brewed coffee is made primarily with Robusta (twice the caffeine), less darkly roasted (less caffeine burned off), with a longer extraction time, and in larger quantities per serving, you are getting more caffeine in brewed coffee.

A study was done to determine how much caffeine per ml of coffee there is. The study used the SAME BEANS and the IDENTICAL ROAST for both types of coffee (not usually the way things are in real life). When the coffee/espresso made from the SAME BEANS/SAME ROAST was analyzed, it was found the espresso had a little more caffeine than brewed coffee per ml.

I know that this contracts, to some extent, what I wrote above. But there are a few catches that make the study difficult from which to generalize:

The same beans were used for both productions. This is unusual in the real world because good espresso is not made with the kind of beans generally used in brewed coffee. Also the roast of the beans used in the real world is usually different, too. But even in this not-so-real-world experiment, the authors point out that even if espresso has a small amount more of caffeine per ml, the serving size difference still menas that you are getting less caffeine per serving of coffee.

Now, aren't you glad you didn't ask why espresso gives you less of a jolt than brewed coffee?

I definitely have too much time on my hands in the evening!!:eek:

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I'm much the same. Tea does nothing for me (unless I'm sick, or have a cold, which is the only time I drink tea; in fact, my brother hates to see me drink tea - he knows I'm about to come down with something when I forego coffee and request tea).

I'm way too shy for things like starting such an important thread. I keep on watching movies with a cup of coffee in my hand. Don't take it too literally though. Although I'm fairly interested in your opinion regarding that..darn!

Edit: I believe Billington's is a British product. I actually buy it in my coffee shop / café, so probably you should just leave your kitchen for one moment and try to get it some place like that??

Hmmm..I drink most of my tea with honey. But sugar to cover up the taste of the tea?? I'm confused.

Yes, Billington's is excellent; I buy in in health food stores and it is what I use myself.

Re architecture, go on, start a thread. We'll all be there to cheer you on.

Re increased tolerance, I agree completely. You do develop such a tolerance.

However, the fact about brewed coffee having a greater caffeine 'hit' than espresso stuns me; wow. I hadn't realised that......

Me, too. This was my thought also.

Nobody asked, but I have a few minutes so I thought I would discuss, in my usually pedantic and annoy way, why espresso provides less of a caffeine jolt.

Now, aren't you glad you didn't ask why espresso gives you less of a jolt than brewed coffee?

I definitely have too much time on my hands in the evening!!:eek:

Wow. What a post. Fantastic. And very interesting. Bravo......;)

I prefer an espresso IV drip

....did I just say that out loud?

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind on occasion, I have to say.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I prefer an espresso IV drip

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind on occasion, I have to say.

But then you miss the taste

Here I go OT again...well, it's coffee related...

My dad used to tell me terrible jokes. He told me the one about the very sick man who was being fed rectally. (They actually did that back in the day!). So they gave him some coffee and he cried out..."OH, no...please stop."

Very concerned, the nurse asked..."Is it too hot?"

And the man replied..."No...too sweet!!"

OK, now you have some idea that I come by my strangeness honestly!:p

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
If you are looking for some good cold coffee and one that packs a little punch with it's caffeine try "Black Blood of The Earth". I picked up the tester pack and loved it.

http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth/
http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth/bbote-vs-coffee/

Now where it is as strong or not, it did pack a serious jolt when I drank one of the 50ml. I am picking more of it up.

I know this is off topic, but we were talking about caffeine! :D

For what it's worth, I don't think this is OT at all. Making recommendations about coffee, coffee making equipment, advice and information are, IMO, right on topic.

Of course, the Mods might not see it my way...what the hell do I know.

Also, SandboxGeneral (a Mod) is a contributor to this thread, and he very kindly usually gives us a heads up if we seem to be drifting off topic too far. He's really helpful about stuff like that....so we don't end up on PRSI or some other frightening place!!

Now about OT...my "joke" could end up in Wasteland (probably where it belongs!!):D

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If you are looking for some good cold coffee and one that packs a little punch with it's caffeine try "Black Blood of The Earth". I picked up the tester pack and loved it.

http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth/
http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth/bbote-vs-coffee/

Now where it is as strong or not, it did pack a serious jolt when I drank one of the 50ml. I am picking more of it up.

I know this is off topic, but we were talking about caffeine! :D

That stuff sounds evil! Would certainly give you a jolt.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Attachments

• bbote.jpg
    bbote.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 197

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Also, SandboxGeneral (a Mod) is a contributor to this thread, and he very kindly usually gives us a heads up if we seem to be drifting off topic too far. He's really helpful about stuff like that....so we don't end up on PRSI or some other frightening place!!

Well the thread title is "Espresso Enthusiasts", so that covers a broad area of things related to coffee. My earlier note was a preemptive post when there was talk of cultural differences. No one stepped over the PRSI line, but I could see how it was possible.

:)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Well the thread title is "Espresso Enthusiasts", so that covers a broad area of things related to coffee. My earlier note was a preemptive post when there was talk of cultural differences. No one stepped over the PRSI line, but I could see how it was possible.

:)

Thanks, Mate.

When you're dealing with what is obviously a bunch of loonies (notice how I accuse everyone else of my own lunacy!), it's good to have someone with a modicum of sanity among us!:D

Only a modicum, mind you. You may be sliding down that slippery slope yourself!:eek:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Glad you liked it.:D

And kudos to you for actually reading all (or part) of that screed! :p:D

It was interesting...So if I want a bigger caffeine "hit" and therefore drink less coffee ( meets with the Docs approval) I need to source beans that are lightly roasted? I think that French blend I've been drinking is lighter in color than some of the Italian stuff, yet seems to have more taste to it. Tomorrow will be interesting when I commence grinding my own beans for the first time....I will compare the color to the small amount of pre- ground coffees I have left.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think that French blend I've been drinking is lighter in color than some of the Italian stuff, yet seems to have more taste to it. Tomorrow will be interesting when I commence grinding my own beans for the first time....I will compare the color to the small amount of pre- ground coffees I have left.

What French blend do you get? I found Eilles Gourmet Coffee quite ok when drinking dripped (?) coffee.

EDIT: Ops, thought it was French while it's German actually...misleading name. But still ok.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What do you guys think of this? Not for making espresso obviously:

Link

Those are incredibly beautiful!:D

Pieces of art...and they make coffee, too!

What could be better...:D

It was interesting...So if I want a bigger caffeine "hit" and therefore drink less coffee ( meets with the Docs approval) I need to source beans that are lightly roasted? I think that French blend I've been drinking is lighter in color than some of the Italian stuff, yet seems to have more taste to it. Tomorrow will be interesting when I commence grinding my own beans for the first time....I will compare the color to the small amount of pre- ground coffees I have left.

And if you want a really big hit...try mainlining No Doz!!:eek:

The problem with lightly roasted beans is that it won't have the intense taste you like. You could look for a blend with a bit of Robusta beans. If you can stand the taste, you'll get more caffeine per ml. (Remember, Robusta beans have about twice the caffeine by weight than Arabica. The problem is they taste like burnt rubber!).

If it were me, I would find the stuff that tastes best to me, and not worry too much about the caffeine. I'm not sure the differences would reduce your coffee intake enough to really make a difference.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.