Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
As far as (international coffee chains) go, starbucks overroasts and undergrinds their coffe but not as badly as dunkin donuts, that stuff is abhorrend, even worse than McCafe andt that says a lot. segafredo zanetti makes a decent cuppa as far as chains go but still a good family run place can beat them.

On a different note, on a recent venture to hawaii, specifically maui, we discovered the maui grown coffee company and ended up bringing a suitcase full of their beans back. Great stuff and their kona is superb.

I think it's fairly safe to say that most, if not all, of the US chain stores' coffee is best left alone. If you're lucky, you have a real, independent little coffee house near you. There is the chance that they might actually know how to make coffee.

I have heard that Maui and Kona coffees are excellent. You confirm that for me.

I've also heard that Maui Wowie is excellent...but that's a topic for a different thread!:p:D

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I think it's fairly safe to say that most, if not all, of the US chain stores' coffee is best left alone. If you're lucky, you have a real, independent little coffee house near you. There is the chance that they might actually know how to make coffee.

I have heard that Maui and Kona coffees are excellent. You confirm that for me.

I've also heard that Maui Wowie is excellent...but that's a topic for a different thread!:p:D

Where I live "Athens Ohio" there are quite a few independent super good coffee spots. I'm lucky. :D

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
So I have a piece of junk drip coffee machine, so I decided I'd buy a French press and give Caribou Coffeea try. I thought it was pretty good. Have you guys ever had this, or do you have experience with a French press?

I read that, and it makes sense, that a press of this sort is a better way to make coffee. Thoughts?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
So I have a piece of junk drip coffee machine, so I decided I'd buy a French press and give Caribou Coffeea try. I thought it was pretty good. Have you guys ever had this, or do you have experience with a French press?

I read that, and it makes sense, that a press of this sort is a better way to make coffee. Thoughts?

A french press is a fantastic and easy way to make great coffee. A lot of people think you need a huge fancy espresso machine to make decent coffee but you really don't. Of course you do need a reasonable grinder still.

I use a ceramic paper filter holder that sits on my mug for 99% of my coffee, only takes 4 minutes and barely any cleaning up.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
A french press is a fantastic and easy way to make great coffee. A lot of people think you need a huge fancy espresso machine to make decent coffee but you really don't. Of course you do need a reasonable grinder still.

I use a ceramic paper filter holder that sits on my mug for 99% of my coffee, only takes 4 minutes and barely any cleaning up.

The nice part about the grinder for making press grind is that, IMO, you don't need a grinder at the level of expense necessary for espresso. Although you still want good grind uniformity, I believe you can find a serviceable grinder for a lot less than the grinder you would need for proper espresso grind.

And that "barely any cleaning up" thing is soooo true. The cleaning with espresso is, well, extensive!

I would add that, as with all other coffee making...the beans are the most important element.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I always found the cleaning of a French Press rather tedious to be honest. But good way to make lots of coffee quite fast.

I learned to let it brew for some minutes before pressing down.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I always found the cleaning of a French Press rather tedious to be honest. But good way to make lots of coffee quite fast.

I don't know the optimal extraction times for press (too lazy to look for it)

I'm sure Kissaragi could help with more exact information regarding brew time for press.

EDIT: some good information linked below from THE reliable source:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/grind.brew.php

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The nice part about the grinder for making press grind is that, IMO, you don't need a grinder at the level of expense necessary for espresso. Although you still want good grind uniformity, I believe you can find a serviceable grinder for a lot less than the grinder you would need for proper espresso grind.

I agree completely, can be quite a cheap grinder for any brewed coffee.

----------

Me too actually, still less hassle than espresso tho. That tends to be why i use a paper filter, you can just chuck it in the bin and your done.

----------

I don't know the optimal extraction times for press (too lazy to look for it)

I'm sure Kissaragi could help with more exact information regarding brew time for press.

EDIT: some good information linked below from THE reliable source:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/grind.brew.php

I tend to follow Mr hoffmans brew guide for french press

http://www.jimseven.com/2008/11/13/french-press-technique/

Hasbean has some good guides too (where my coffee comes from!)

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/brew-guides

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
After years of overpaying on the high street, I decided to invest in a coffee machine last month. It has been my single best investment to date. I bought the De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM4200 and it's been fantastic so far with Lavazza beans.

Of course, if anyone could recommend any decent places to buy beans in the North West of England and/or places to purchase beans online in the UK, I'd be very grateful!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
After years of overpaying on the high street, I decided to invest in a coffee machine last month. It has been my single best investment to date. I bought the De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM4200 and it's been fantastic so far with Lavazza beans.

Of course, if anyone could recommend any decent places to buy beans in the North West of England and/or places to purchase beans online in the UK, I'd be very grateful!

You cant go wrong with http://www.hasbean.co.uk

Fantastic service and great coffee.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I've to use some kind of similar De Longhi machine (and am not a fan tbh of it) but agree re Lavazza, which is nearby ok-ish by the means of Shrink I'd guess. So kind of good for almost everybody else. :p

I use this one:
lavazza-qualita-oro-ganze-bohne.png

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I agree completely, can be quite a cheap grinder for any brewed coffee.

----------

Me too actually, still less hassle than espresso tho. That tends to be why i use a paper filter, you can just chuck it in the bin and your done.

----------

I tend to follow Mr hoffmans brew guide for french press

http://www.jimseven.com/2008/11/13/french-press-technique/

Hasbean has some good guides too (where my coffee comes from!)

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/brew-guides

I quickly defer to Kissaragi and his sources regarding press. My knowledge of press brewing is virtually nonexistent.

Also agree...anything is less hassle than espresso!!:D

EDIT: Twietee, it's all a matter of taste! Lavazza is very popular and well thought of...and what the hell do I know!!:p

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
EDIT: Twietee, it's all a matter of taste! Lavazza is very popular and well thought of...and what the hell do I know!!:p

Woah! Edits flying left and right within this thread. Hard to keep track! Need an espresso. Now. To stay focused.

And about taste: you said it all in Latin some time ago.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Woah! Edits flying left and right within this thread. Hard to keep track! Need an espresso. Now. To stay focused.

And about taste: you said it all in Latin some time ago.

Thats what happens when you get loads of highly caffeinated people talking about something lol *twitch*

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Ok so here's what is in my cart:

Gaggia Classic
Gaggia MDF Burr Grinder
Rocket Espresso Knock Box
Reg Barber 58mm Aluminium tamper

What am I missing? Besides cups.

I'm buying it all from wholelattelove

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Gaggia Classic
Gaggia MDF Burr Grinder

Looks great! And buying from wholelattelove is also great! They are good to work with, and as I mentioned, a great Tech Support line.

I have a knock box for you to look at. It's more expensive, and it's only advantage is the heavy rubber ring around the bottom, which protects the box and the counter. This is just an FYI, the Rocket box is excellent (all Rocket stuff is supposed to be excellent). I'm just showing it to you for the sake of showing it to you.:p

http://www.chriscoffee.com/product_p/bknb.htm

It probably will pay off to buy everything at one place...who knows what they might throw in.

I'm excited for you. You are starting off with an excellent set-up.

And now, the fun and learning begins. :D:D

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Looks great! And buying from wholelattelove is also great! They are good to work with, and as I mentioned, a great Tech Support line.

I have a knock box for you to look at. It's more expensive, and it's only advantage is the heavy rubber ring around the bottom, which protects the box and the counter. This is just an FYI, the Rocket box is excellent (all Rocket stuff is supposed to be excellent). I'm just showing it to you for the sake of showing it to you.:p

http://www.chriscoffee.com/product_p/bknb.htm

It probably will pay off to buy everything at one place...who knows what they might throw in.

I'm excited for you. You are starting off with an excellent set-up.

And now, the fun and learning begins. :D:D

Thanks I'm on the phone right now, I asked and they just knocked $50 off for me. :D

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

Gaggia Classic
Gaggia MDF Burr Grinder

Got a milk pitcher? A little milk thermometer is very useful too.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Got a milk pitcher? A little milk thermometer is very useful too.

Also, a suggestion on cups. I like the clear glass because it makes estimating a 2 - 2 1/2 ounce dose in the cup easy. It's also, IMO, very visually pleasing.

The link below is for the 4.7 ounce cup. Take care, if you don't use the link, about the size of the cup you are ordering (if you choose to do so). The same cup comes in 4.7 oz., 10 oz. ,and 15. oz sizes. I use the small one for straight espresso. The others are for bigger drinks...lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Double-Wall-Insulated-Espresso/dp/B000S6N4BI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

You have a MUCH better starter set than I ever had. It will take you through the learning process really well, and beyond...for a long time (before you get the itch to upgrade!!):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.