Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Hi..after installing Monterey and opencore on a mac pro 5.1 from High Sierra..my on board network adapter and wireless adapter stop working. I can see all 3 of them in network pref but not connected..wifi on but same..no connection. Any help would be much appreciated

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
IMG_0891.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    655.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 47

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
OpenCore Legacy patcher 1.4.1 and monterey 12.7.4.. just downloaded fron dortania yesterday

same here, I also deleted Prefs and used my wifi tools to trigger wifi networks by cli tools.

no chance atm. Rolled back to 12.7.3 and OCLP 1.3 to get it working.

never post such things without details, even if its logical today this board is also an archive.

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Hi..after installing Monterey and opencore on a mac pro 5.1 from High Sierra..my on board network adapter and wireless adapter stop working. I can see all 3 of them in network pref but not connected..wifi on but same..no connection. Any help would be much appreciated
Hey guys am stuck
same here, I also deleted Prefs and used my wifi tools to trigger wifi networks by cli tools.

no chance atm. Rolled back to 12.7.3 and OCLP 1.3 to get it working.

never post such things without details, even if its logical today this board is also an archive.
thanks ..i really appreciate that..am not really technical u have to forgive my ignorance. So i have to re create a usb with monterey installation and rebuild ? Or is there a shorter way ?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Hey guys am stuck

thanks ..i really appreciate that..am not really technical u have to forgive my ignorance. So i have to re create a usb with monterey installation and rebuild ? Or is there a shorter way ?

Maybe you have a snapshot or time machine backup, boot the createinstallmedia thumb drive and hit the time machine button.

I rolled back with another installation I had on another disk, quickly.

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Hey guys am stuck

Can i pm u?

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Maybe you have a snapshot or time machine backup, boot the createinstallmedia thumb drive and hit the time machine button.

I rolled back with another installation I had on another disk, quickly.
Nope..first installation on an NVMe ssd..guess i’ll have to rebuild it from scratch ..glad your explanation and tool to flash the bootrom went alrite..was quite skeptical before doing it

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Nope..first installation on an NVMe ssd..guess i’ll have to rebuild it from scratch ..glad your explanation and tool to flash the bootrom went alrite..was quite skeptical before doing it
What boot rom version do you have? Coming from HS it probably isn't the latest (144.0.0.0.0).

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
This has nothing to do with the bootrom. The OS runs way after the bootrom loaded.

ntl my test box is on a reconstructed 144 firmware with latest bootloader.

And I got the same glitches.

serdar13

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2018
I had a spare 'USB 3.0 Gigabit adapter' and currently using this on my Mac Pro 5.1 as I too unfortunatley upgraded to 12.7.4. I had to revert the Root patches so I could approve the 'AX88179' driver under 'Security & Privacy' to be installed. Used another machine to download driver and transfer to Mac Pro via usb stick.

Reactions: Macschrauber

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Re installed everything with OCLP 13.0 and 12.7.3 all working like skating on ice..no sluggishness or anything wrong..thank you @Macshrauber

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
I experienced the same problem yesterday after installing OS Monterey. Used OCLP 1.4.2 and installation went well. Shortly after logging on with Apple and sorting out things, I got a notice saying there were two updates: one for Siri and a second one for Monterey. What was most notable was the size of the latter. In fact, it took close to 30 minutes to complete and was more like re-installing Monterey than just a few revisions. Once the update was complete, I noticed that both internet connections (ethernet and WiFi) would not work. After restarting, I managed to get the wired connection working, but not wifi. A google search indicated that there were many inquiries on the same subject. Rather than attempting a fix, I just re-installed Monterey, but will avoid the "update".

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
To get the Wifi to work after the OCLP 1.4.2 update on Monterey, you have to delete the network, then re-add it.
Open your System Preferences/Network pane, then click Wifi in the list of networks.
Then, click the Advanced button. In the Preferred Network window, select each network that won't allow you to connect, then click the "-" to delete the network. Then, re-add that network (do that by selecting the same network from the Wifi icon in the top menu. That's all you need to do.

Reactions: Macschrauber

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Another possibility:

smartin80

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2020
I experienced the same problem yesterday after installing OS Monterey. Used OCLP 1.4.2 and installation went well. Shortly after logging on with Apple and sorting out things, I got a notice saying there were two updates: one for Siri and a second one for Monterey. What was most notable was the size of the latter. In fact, it took close to 30 minutes to complete and was more like re-installing Monterey than just a few revisions. Once the update was complete, I noticed that both internet connections (ethernet and WiFi) would not work. After restarting, I managed to get the wired connection working, but not wifi. A google search indicated that there were many inquiries on the same subject. Rather than attempting a fix, I just re-installed Monterey, but will avoid the "update".
How did you get ethernet working again? I can manage without WiFi...
S

smartin80

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2020
Re installed everything with OCLP 13.0 and 12.7.3 all working like skating on ice..no sluggishness or anything wrong..thank you @Macshrauber
I'm having to do the same... What's this about flashing rom that you mention above...?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I'm having to do the same... What's this about flashing rom that you mention above...?
The firmware has not much to do with it. Its just about the major project I run.

Maybe the wifi is working again after a full nvram reset or flashing a rebuilt firmware in 12.7.4, but resetting the networks worked for me.

smartin80

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2020
The firmware has not much to do with it. Its just about the major project I run.

Maybe the wifi is working again after a full nvram reset or flashing a rebuilt firmware in 12.7.4, but resetting the networks worked for me.
You mean with
  • sudo ifconfig en0 down and press Enter
  • Type sudo ifconfig en0 up ?
  • It's not wifi I need to reset, it's ethernet. Same command...?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
no, as written a couple of times, update OCLP to 1.4.2, let it rebuild the ESP, let it do the post install patches, reboot.

If you dont need wifi, maybe all you need is update OCLP, just test it.

If you have a USB - Ethernet adapter (or can pick up one quickly), you can use such in the meantime to calm down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.