Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
No excuse for Apple saying they are the only ones allowed to access the hardware feature.

It's anti-consumer. Though at least in this case you can understand Apple doing it out of greed. Them locking their customers out of using the bluetooth chip in HomePods to stream music is just pure spite.

Nobody said you have to use Apple products. Your choice to use an inferior platform. Apple Pay is not anti consumer. It is consumer friendly because it just works for those of us that want ease of use and security.

why don’t use get an Android and then bitch about samsuck pay being greedy and anti consumer.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
We are already in the PRSI forum so here is my analogy. I view choosing a mobile phone platform (iOS vs Android vs "other") like voting for a US Presidential candidate. You have candidate "A" with a set of positions on various issues and candidate "B" with a different set of positions on those same issues. It is pretty much a package deal, do you want position set "A" or position set "B"? You can't take one candidates position on taxes and a different candidate's position on healthcare and a 3rd party candidate's position on something else to create your own candidate to vote for - you either vote for "A" or "B" (or throw your vote away voting on a 3rd party candidate who will end up with 0.7% of the vote).

As voters, you vote the candidate who agrees with you on what is most important to you even if they don't agree with you on everything. I vote for Apple over Android because I agree with the VAST majority of what Apple does. If being able to use Google Pay or Walmart Pay is your top issue, then vote Android.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
If someone else wants to use an NFC chip inside a mobile phone for payments then they too can create a new phone from the ground up, release thousands of innovative features so that billions of devices will sell, and then they can decide the rules for what is and is not considered a secure use of the device they built.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
No excuse for Apple saying they are the only ones allowed to access the hardware feature.

It's anti-consumer. Though at least in this case you can understand Apple doing it out of greed. Them locking their customers out of using the bluetooth chip in HomePods to stream music is just pure spite.

I agree with your general sentiment, but not the negatives about Apple's motivations. It's a lot easier to start off building a closed system that works with limited combinations of things that you control, than an open system that works with all sorts of things you can't control. It made perfect sense for Apple to start out with closed systems in order to deliver a quality solution for customers; but, at some point, when you've achieved wide market acceptance, it's in consumers' interests for you to open things up. iPhone has huge market acceptance, and Apple Pay is well established, so it's time to look at opening that up. It's more important for less mature products that they focus on getting things right, and not so much on maintaining programming interfaces and such for a battery of third parties; that's a real drag on product enhancement and evolution.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
If someone else wants to use an NFC chip inside a mobile phone for payments then they too can create a new phone from the ground up, release thousands of innovative features so that billions of devices will sell, and then they can decide the rules for what is and is not considered a secure use of the device they built.

I encourage you to read the law before embarrassing yourself like that. The EU decided that anti-competitive behaviour was not to be tolerated. If Apple wants to sell products there, they have to comply. End of the story.
Other businesses in the EU are complying without whining, so Apple doesn't get a pass.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Nobody said you have to use Apple products. Your choice to use an inferior platform. Apple Pay is not anti consumer. It is consumer friendly because it just works for those of us that want ease of use and security.

why don’t use get an Android and then bitch about samsuck pay being greedy and anti consumer.

It is and anti competitive.

Doesn't mean ApplePay isn't convenient/safe/secure, it is but do open up NFC for others, like a higher security level choice for certain websites.
Where I live there's a government based site to log into, there are security levels, I can't be more secure because my iPhone lacks NFC support for it.

Reactions: uther

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I agree 100% with your first statement. But, why shouldn't there be competition among payment methods?

Oh, I see what you mean - to rephrase myself:
One common payment mechanism that allows for multiple payment providers. Like Debit cards - here in Canada they all use the same payment method ( Interac ), but there are many banks providing debt cards.

Reactions: uther

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I don't use Apple Pay. I don't have an iPhone. I have no dog in this fight. Still...

The EU is being ridiculous. Does your MasterCard have to be accepted where VISA is accepted? Does your MC have to have support for your VISA on it's chip? Come on, man.

Where they have a reasonable fight is whether Apple forces App Dev have Apple Pay support in their app and/or website. On that I agree with the EU. That has yet to be determined, so I'm 100% behind Apple in this fight for now.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
I assume Apple has a patent on the technology. If the EU forces Apple to share the technology, won't other device makers have to pay a royalty?

Reactions: paul4339

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Well, the contactless technology that Apple Pay and many others rely on are standard technologies. As long as the card terminal accepts contactless payment, no further work is required by the vendor to make Apple Pay work.

Yes, I know that - Apple really didn't invent a completely new payment mechanism - it was based upon the existing mechanisms. Which is why, when Apple Pay was launched in Canada, it worked for 90% of locations that already had Tap.
[automerge]1573143740[/automerge]
I assume Apple has a patent on the technology. If the EU forces Apple to share the technology, won't other device makers have to pay a royalty?

What patents? Apple Pay is based upon existing technologies / mechanisms.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
In which case, I hope the EU give them herpes. You can't come over here and do things like play that tax dodge crap. We're not having it any more.

Relax, I have no intentions of vacationing in the EU. I’d be far more concerned with the rise in Nationalism at your doorstop than Apple Pay. ;)
[automerge]1573143878[/automerge]
Typical Brexit voter Response!

FYI, I live in NY. ;)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
**** the EU. :apple:

Yeah we try to regulate monopolistic practices of large corporations over here, you should try it some time...

For real though as a fan of Apple and the EU, this just looks like sensible anti-competition law in practice. Whether any ruling will be made is yet to be seen. I'm certain the reason for this pressure is from other payment vendors worried about Apple encroaching on their space. But seeing as Apple has an understandable advantage hear with their massive hardware base in the wild it could be a tricky one. I still can't see Apple Pay being banned or anything ridiculous so I'd chill out until any decisions are made. EU law is not dictated purely by corporate pressure...

Reactions: paulCC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.