Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Wait. None of this makes sense. Apple Pay and other NFC payment boxes live happily side by side in the States. Are the complainants saying that in the EU there is a contract provision making it impossible for a merchant to use both systems? Very strange.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
If they don't like it so much maybe they should stop buying Apple products and make something better. It's totally competitive. Other companies are just jealous they didn't come up with something better first. It's not like Apple has an unfair advantage. They started from nothing just like everyone else.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Apple opened up NDEF Tag writing and native tag access with iOS 13. Here's the WWDC session where this was all discussed. Doesn't the EU pay attention to these developments? Do you?
Well, after 2 pages of posts, NO ONE has commented on your post, which goes to show you that no one, these days, reads others posts - they just react. Obviously, Apple has already started to allow exactly what the EU is complaining about (third-party NFC chip access), but other competitors haven't decided to participate at this time. Perhaps it's because Apple's payment offering is superior, at least for now, so they don't see the point of offering their service on the Apple platform.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
What? Apple has a 15-16% market share in the EU. This is becoming ridiculous. Let's face it, this is a money grab.

did you even read? Seriously. It seems like no one here even read what the investigation is about.

can stores enable Apple Pay? Sure!
should Apple be allowed to basically put a gun to their head and force them to sign a paper to force them to support Apple Pay or else? HELL NO

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Wait. None of this makes sense. Apple Pay and other NFC payment boxes live happily side by side in the States. Are the complainants saying that in the EU there is a contract provision making it impossible for a merchant to use both systems? Very strange.
I think the thrust of the argument is that the NFC chip in iPhones is locked to Apple Pay, not open to competing options... which would be a valid argument if iPhones were the only smartphones and you were forced to buy them at gunpoint and Apple bought up all payment card companies and shut them down ;)

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Easy solution - Apple just opens up the NFC chip to Samsung Pay, Walmart connect or whatever service there is out there.
There are plenty of merchants that happily serve both Apple Pay and Android Pay. Target and Starbucks come to mind. What is the issue?

Reactions: Fozziebear71

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I’m pro eu however try telling that anti competitive thing to Norway. Most places and banks don’t use Apple Pay here only vipps

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Being able to use the iPhone for more than one payment method, is a benefit to the consumer. I don't see many negatives.

Better still:
Ideally, there would be one standard mobile payment method and everyone follows that, instead of dozens.
There is, it’s called contactless for which that’s all Apple Pay is! So what’s the complaint here?

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
I fail to see how a platform that relies on having competitors’ platforms in place can be anticompetitive.

Case and point: there is no store anywhere that only accepts Apple Pay. Apple Pay is built around the networks of other payment providers like Visa and MasterCard, which means you could also use those cards there. You have a choice — use your physical card, or use Apple Pay (or, likely, many other options). How is that anticompetitive?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
No excuse for Apple saying they are the only ones allowed to access the hardware feature.

It's anti-consumer. Though at least in this case you can understand Apple doing it out of greed. Them locking their customers out of using the bluetooth chip in HomePods to stream music is just pure spite.
Why should they allow other services to use their hardware? Go make your own hardware.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
What? Apple has a 15-16% market share in the EU. This is becoming ridiculous. Let's face it, this is a money grab.
Is Europe just chock full of money-grabbing crybabies at this point?

Who mentioned money? The EU investigate stuff like this all the time, they don't always find the firms guitly. The story is that the EU is taking a look at this - not that they made any decisions.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
No excuse for Apple saying they are the only ones allowed to access the hardware feature.

It's anti-consumer. Though at least in this case you can understand Apple doing it out of greed. Them locking their customers out of using the bluetooth chip in HomePods to stream music is just pure spite.

Apple will pull ApplePay in the EU before they open the NCF payment part of NCF on their phones. This part is very locked down and needs to stay that way.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
There are plenty of merchants that happily serve both Apple Pay and Android Pay. Target and Starbucks come to mind. What is the issue?

I’m no lawyer versed in EU law, but I think their complaint is that one cannot use Android Pay or Samsung Pay or anything else on an iPhone.

Reactions: chagla and paulCC

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple will pull ApplePay in the EU before they open the NCF payment part of NCF on their phones. This part is very locked down and needs to stay that way.
An lose a market of 300 million? Won’t happen. Apple will compromise - we’ve seen this frequently.

Reactions: paulCC

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
What’s new on iOS 13?

Here is what Apple is adding to iOS 13 for NFC in its phones:
  • Writing on an NFC tag using NDEF format (a standardized format used to store and exchange on-tag information like URLs, plain text, etc.)
  • The ability to lock a tag encoded with an NDEF format
  • Access to low-level information of the NFC chip, such as UID and historical bytes
  • Support for the protocols ISO/IEC 7816* combined with ISO/IEC 14443**, ISO/IEC 15693, MIFARE®, and FeliCa™, handled by direct access and issuing NFC protocol-based commands to the chip

*ISO/IEC 7816 is an international standard for smart cards, used e.g. in passports and ID documents.
** 7816 Tag APIs are defined on top of ISO/IEC 14443. ISO/IEC 14443 is an international standard for proximity tags and cards, used for identification and communication transmission protocols. ISO/IEC 15693 is an international standard for vicinity tags, used e.g. for products traced in the supply chain and in ski passes. MIFARE® is an NXP IC product family based on the open ISO 14443 standard, used in contactless smart cards for public transport, access control, loyalty, and micropayment services. FeliCa™ is a contactless smart card system from Sony in Japan.

Unlocking the untapped potential of NFC with iOS 13 and NXP tag solutions

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
I have to say that i can see many uncompetitive practices by Apple (mainly on the front of limiting ability to fix their hardware by thirg parties) but the issue of ApplePay would not be among them. But obviously we are talking about a big players with deep pockets that can do more than end user.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
her department has received "many concerns" over Apple Pay and potential anticompetitive issues, noting that "people see it becomes increasingly difficult to compete in the market for easy payments,"
WTF? Who are these "people"? If I want to load WalMart's payment app on my iPhone, I can do it. (I never would, but that's beside the point.) I use Apple Pay because it's simple and secure. Her complaint smacks more of some company wanting a piece of the pie, rather than any concern about consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.