Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Yes, I know that - Apple really didn't invent a completely new payment mechanism - it was based upon the existing mechanisms. Which is why, when Apple Pay was launched in Canada, it worked for 90% of locations that already had Tap.
[automerge]1573143740[/automerge]

What patents? Apple Pay is based upon existing technologies / mechanisms.
Not exactly. The other users here have explained that Apple Pay does use standard NFC technology but adds a digital “tag” to the transaction.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016

European Union Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager today acknowledged that her department has received "many concerns" over Apple Pay and potential anticompetitive issues, noting that "people see it becomes increasingly difficult to compete in the market for easy payments," reports Reuters.

apple_pay_terminal.jpg

Vestager's comments come after the European Commission sent a questionnaire to a number of companies in August seeking information on whether Apple was restricting online payment options.Apple touts the safety and security of Apple Pay, but critics have claimed that Apple stifles competition by locking down the NFC chip in iOS devices to only work with Apple Pay, making it difficult for other payment services to compete.

Antitrust concerns over Apple Pay are not the only issue for Apple and the EU at the moment, as the European Commission is also still dealing with Spotify's complaint that Apple's App Store unfairly disadvantages third-party app developers in favor of its own apps and services.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: EU Hearing 'Many Concerns' About Potential Anticompetitive Issues With Apple Pay

Wait, the EU is whining again? Oh and the sky is blue!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'd guess the vast majority of the complaints to the EU came from companies that would want free use/free access, not individuals. They're free to complain, and at one level here, all the EU is currently doing is reporting that complaints have been received. A ruling on the validity of the complaints is another matter.

Outside of "freedom of choice," I'm not sure how consumers would benefit. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of price competition in the transaction gateway business - it's all a matter of which company gets to collect the processing fees that are buried in the cost of the goods we buy. As the fees charged by mobile wallets are a small fraction of the total fee charged to the merchants, it's far more likely that it's simply a matter of which company pockets the fee (or the savings that come from not having to pay it to someone else).

I think there's a certain irony in demands to "open" hardware/software systems of this sort to outsiders. The more "keys" there are in circulation, the less secure such a system is. There are more "trusted users" to validate, and greater chances that one or more of them will turn out to be a bad actor. What would an Apple or Samsung have to do to ensure that some game developer wasn't accessing the hardware to skim illicit micro-payments when a game-playing consumer walks past an NFC-equipped terminal, every gameplay touch triggering a payment approval?

I can choose to use Apple Pay, or not. It's little different than the cruise control in my car - I had no real choice over whether the manufacturer included that hardware and software in the product they sold; it's part of a package of features that in its totality is either appealing, or not. It's a matter of whether we find sufficient value in the features that we do use to feel we've spent our money well. It's not a matter of whose cruise control I use. I'd rather the manufacturer have full responsibility for the functioning of such a safety-related feature.

Imagine the complexity of a lawsuit arising out of a malfunctioning cruise control, if the hardware was provided by Ford while the software was provided by a company of my choice (Microsoft, for argument's sake). Microsoft will claim it's a failure of Ford's hardware or software API, Ford will claim it's Microsoft's error. Will the EU then step up and say, "We'll pay, since we demanded an open system?"

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
But why do you guys say stuff like this, but are so upset when Apple products cost more there than elsewhere. Complying with all the EU nonsense costs more.

I am not upset about prices being higher in Europe, plenty of reasons it is, for instance consumer protection, higher taxes, prices quoted including tax instead of without, etcetera.
Eu nonsense???
plenty of good comes from the EU, like cheap roaming, actually, there's no roaming, prices are the same as back in our own country.
Privacy laws on the internet, net neutrality amongst lots of other reasons.
[automerge]1573150023[/automerge]
I guess what I need explained then is, as a business or bank, who wants to develop their own NFC payment system why not just adopt the open non-apple hardware? Just build it and release it for Androids which are 85% of the market. Bury Apple Pay.

Why Apple Pay and not my own bank pay, actually, my card is NFC, works like a charm.

Reactions: The Mercurian

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well if Apple paid their tax as required under law, although technically it’s Ireland that needs to pay, then they wouldn’t be under the radar so much.

but if you become a giant American monopoly in the EU and you block competition, then expect to be taken to pieces, it’s not a secret and they have been like this for years, you either play fair or not at all.
The EU is a battle Apple cannot and will not ever win against. Let them waste their billions trying.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
No excuse for Apple saying they are the only ones allowed to access the hardware feature.

It's anti-consumer. Though at least in this case you can understand Apple doing it out of greed. Them locking their customers out of using the bluetooth chip in HomePods to stream music is just pure spite.

What the NFC chip does in an Apple phone is provide the best in security. By having a Secure Enclave that cannot be reached except by the user of the Face or TouchID. All commercial enterprises are free to get paid that way. Here's what has happened: the fractured world of Android has developed Samsung Pay (which may or may not have a completely malfunctioning security system), and Android Pay, which has recently gone to something like a beefing up of security. But here's what Apple does: they have people negotiating with people for them to introduce Apple Pay in their establishments. In the US, we were slow to use NFC. The stores that have Apple Pay also have Android forms of payment. Before Apple, there were very few of these NFC terminals anywhere but in Hipstervilles around the country. Now, NFCs are free. Google writes very good software. Apple takes a tiny sliver off of any transfers or payments, from the banks. They run their own service that handles the transactions with the banks, as securely as they can, using the present state of the art. When a bank has a vault, do they share it with unknown persons who also say they're in the NFC business? You're asking Apple to share their vault? You want the combination while you're at it?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What apps are being blocked from the app store because they don’t support Apple Pay?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Apple Pay is just a wallet. Just like website also accept PayPal. Or credit or debit cards. Heck one of my cards is a multi card and thus a wallet.

sure if Apple were to force to only accept their wallet and no other method than Apple Pay on websites than that is anti competitive.
But as it is, come on EU.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Easy solution - Apple just opens up the NFC chip to Samsung Pay, Walmart connect or whatever service there is out there.
Nice try but you know that won't satisfy the EU. The EU will say that Apple is violating user's privacy rights by allowing this for other companies to have NFC access to people's phones.. It's too much.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Wait. None of this makes sense. Apple Pay and other NFC payment boxes live happily side by side in the States. Are the complainants saying that in the EU there is a contract provision making it impossible for a merchant to use both systems? Very strange.
I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly, but the complaints could be that Apple restricts NFC for only Apple Pay not other platforms such as Android Pay, Samsung Pay or whateverPay.

If this is the case, then why doesn’t the EU go after Google and Samsung and tell them to open their platforms for iOS compatibility??

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Regulators wanted to know if Apple has rejected merchant apps as incompatible with the terms and conditions for integrating ‌Apple Pay‌ in their apps

The EU wants to know if Apple is rejecting apps from their Appstore because of lack of Apple Pay integration. In otherwords, forcing developers to use Apple Pay.
The EU regulators knows Apple doesn't force people into Apple Pay. Our app didn't have Apple Pay for the longest time and it just got implemented like a few months ago.
[automerge]1573152187[/automerge]
I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly, but the complaints could be that Apple restricts NFC for only Apple Pay not other platforms such as Android Pay, Samsung Pay or whateverPay.

If this is the case, then why doesn’t the EU go after Google and Samsung and tell them to open their platforms for iOS compatibility??
That's perfectly within their right to do as a business. If the consumer wants to download a different OS to their device and modify the hardware and software as they see fit nothing is stopping them. they just wont be able to come back to Apple for service and support if something goes wrong. These companies are pretending like they have no options simply because Apple won't support things they didn't agree to support in the first place.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
For me that trumps everything as we’re talking about card payments. I wonder how much take-up there would be if someone else came along with a competing payment app which could run on your iPhone? What possible advantage would they be able to give you for a start?
If you don't trust apple to create a safe and secure public API for the NFC, why do you trust apple to make other parts of iOS safe and secure?

Everytime some competition tries to make a digital payment app, they are forced to use QR codes and everyone laughs.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
The same contactless locations can use google pay, samsung pay or apple pay. It’s not like Apple is using some advanced contactless system. That’s why the same readers works with android even if it doesn’t say it. It’s just a NFC payment system.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
The EU have received complaints about potentially anti-competitive practises on Apple's part. The EU is investigating, namely finding out if companies have been obliged to integrate Apple Pay and/or had their apps rejected for being incompatible with Apple Pay. They are obliged to investigate such complaints.

This seems perfectly reasonable behaviour to me, as the EU is largely concerned with upholding fairness in competition.

I think people need to calm down a bit and wait for the EU's conclusions and recommendations before mouthing off. They haven't said anything like opening up the NFC chip or secure enclave should be done.

Reactions: paulCC

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
The EU regulators knows Apple doesn't force people into Apple Pay. Our app didn't have Apple Pay for the longest time and it just got implemented like a few months ago.
[automerge]1573152187[/automerge]
I think it's just the EU regulators doing it's job... btw, i don't mean that Apples won't approve your app, it could mean delaying the approval, etc, etc... shenanigans that other big companies have pulled.
Now Apple probably doesn't do either because it's a waste of time, and they don't need to if they think they got a good product.

Intel (I believe) got busted in the past for delaying shipments for buyers that were wholly committed to Intel. Google got accused of de-ranking companies that don't spend on AdWords, etc.... The regulators still have to do their jobs and have to look into all the complaints or questions against the big companies and can't just go on reputation or appear to play favoritism.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Are Apple restricting other payment systems on credit card terminals that work with Apple Pay?

All of the latest introductions-- Seven/11, CVS Pharmacy, they come out with terminals that are, naturally, compatible with Android Pay in a few of its flavors. The problem Android has is that there is no Android phone.There are 8 0r 10 makers. That's good too, but it's important that a shop that makes hardware and the software is not a "monopoly". Google played around with NFC, but they never got significant acceptance in the US. Apple came in and made a lot of terminals available for everyone. I don't know the situation in Europe, but that's what happened here.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
"Let's store a credit card on a phone" is not a state of the art approach anyway... Europe, unlike the US, has a very adaptive payment infrastructure (Apple Pay was accepted in most stores for years for example). It would make sense to rethink the approach to payment in general -and preferably take it out of the hands of VISA/MasterCard.
https://bluecode.com/en/ is a solution that I use everyday on my iPhone. It's a good proof that NFC is not an essential function for secure payments or a must have for "convenient" payments.

With the PSD2 I would also see an option to directly trigger a SEPA transfer using an app without going through NFC... but that would require actual innovation. Something that the banking sector isn't doing on its own. (Hence the PSD2 directive)
What they are good at is complaining... about negative interest, Apple Pay, fintechs or whoever else takes something off their fat cake.

Reactions: FaustsHausUK

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Amazing the number of grown adults who take what a government does to an almost trillion dollar company (that doesn’t give squat about those same adults) personally.

Reactions: PC_tech

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Then please stop complaining all the time about how Apple products cost more there. Blame your own policies and taxes and all that. Can't have it both ways.
So we pay more tax and Apple pay less for the same services. Yep, that's fair.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Well if Apple paid their tax as required under law, although technically it’s Ireland that needs to pay, then they wouldn’t be under the radar so much.

but if you become a giant American monopoly in the EU and you block competition, then expect to be taken to pieces, it’s not a secret and they have been like this for years, you either play fair or not at all.
The EU is a battle Apple cannot and will not ever win against. Let them waste their billions trying.

Apple doesn't have to waste billions doing business in the EU. And while you are right that the EU can force their will upon companies... it's not like they really win, or that Apple really loses. It just changes the cost of doing business there, which results in higher cost for products there. It's quite a simple concept. Congratulations EU... you win, higher cost products.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Yea I know it's Apple's chip, but it still SUCKS.

Actually, no, it's YOUR chip, and it REALLY SUCKS that not only does Apple lock you out of its functionality, but that people actually think a chip in YOUR phone belongs to Apple and not YOU.

What the heck? Your hardware should be YOURS to do with as you which. Many of us accept such restrictions as a price to pay for the otherwise high quality of Apple products, but it would be nice if the system were more open. Don't give in to thinking that your hardware is anything but yours, and remember that you being locked out of your own hardware is a FAULT, not a feature.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
The EU are like those blasted meddling kids from Scooby Doo.

I dread to think how much tax payers money they burn through with this stuff. Roll on Brexit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.