Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Ireland does not have to pay. They have to collect for themselves.

The EU seems to be a big bully.

Ireland says Apple doesn’t owe them money. Why then is the EU saying that Ireland must collect. Plus, in 1993, there was no way to know that Apple would become a trillion dollar company.

This situation is akin to renting out your house to a person who ends up making a lot of money after they hit the lottery. Now the landlord wants to retroactively increase the rent, now wanting to collect the back rent.

Side comment, the EU seems to like to pick on American tech companies.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
No excuse for Apple saying they are the only ones allowed to access the hardware feature.

It's anti-consumer. Though at least in this case you can understand Apple doing it out of greed. Them locking their customers out of using the bluetooth chip in HomePods to stream music is just pure spite.
And we are off...

This time it only took 15 posts for the "Apple is evil" rant to come out. Yet these people still frequent an Apple centric forum on a daily basis

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
**** monopolies.

Except Apple is not a monopoly in this regard as if other firms want to compete then why do they not spend the money needed and offer truly competing products and services then they can do as they wish with them etc.
I do not see why Apple should go out of their way to help competitors because I do not see Samsung et al going gout their way to help Apple in any way such as allow Apple Pay on their phones?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Except Apple is not a monopoly in this regard as if other firms want to compete then why do they not spend the money needed and offer truly competing products and services then they can do as they wish with them etc.
I do not see why Apple should go out of their way to help competitors because I do not see Samsung et al going gout their way to help Apple in any way such as allow Apple Pay on their phones?
It would be a payments monopoly on the iOS platform.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
In which case, I hope the EU give them herpes. You can't come over here and do things like play that tax dodge crap. We're not having it any more.

In that case I hope the EU stops sleeping around and acts like a responsible adult, because that attitude of 'do what we tell you to do because we have all this strength and we will ignore any democracy" might have played well in 1939 to 1945 but we are not taking that any more!
Just my way of using your logic against you, no offence meant.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
If the UK wants to protect its citizens it will have to pay the same on its own.

But it won't. It will be an ultracapitalist Tory wasteland.

You’re right. Democracy can’t possibly function without EU authority.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
In that case I hope the EU stops sleeping around and acts like a responsible adult, because that attitude of 'do what we tell you to do because we have all this strength and we will ignore any democracy" might have played well in 1939 to 1945 but we are not taking that any more!
Just my way of using your logic against you, no offence meant.
The EU is a democracy. Apple is not.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
And I suppose Apple could add their payment card to Android? But why would they want to? Which supports Apples locked down approach on their own hardware.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And I suppose Apple could add their payment card to Android? But why would they want to? Which supports Apples locked down approach on their own hardware.
It's not Google that wants to add their system to iOS but the payments companies.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
No excuse for Apple saying they are the only ones allowed to access the hardware feature.

It's anti-consumer. Though at least in this case you can understand Apple doing it out of greed. Them locking their customers out of using the bluetooth chip in HomePods to stream music is just pure spite.

I disagree. I see it as. case of Apple are the ones who started from scratch in the garage of Steve Jobs' parents. Apple are the ones who worked hard over the years to get where they are now and they did so by offering products and services that people loved and bought. Now they have made that work and determination a success rivals want Apple to basically give them a free helping hand simply because they were and are not quite as successful as Apple have been.
That is like you working hard to get a promotion and pay rise at work and then I come along in my junior position and demand that you then go out of your way to get me a promotion as well whilst using your wages to do so.
This despite the fact that I did not earn it or work for it, surely you would say to me "I am not helping you when you want a free ride and have not put any hard graft in, if you want a promotion then do what I did and work for it".

That is no different to Apple and the EU seeing Euro signs in their eyes so they can try to thus give competitors a free helping hand.

I do not subscribe at all to the idea that no company can compete with Apple Pay/other Apple services on their own merits. They might need to be not have an app on the iPhone but instead might need to be creative however they can do it.
They just need to shut up moaning and actually try competing instead.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I disagree. I see it as. case of Apple are the ones who started from scratch in the garage of Steve Jobs' parents. Apple are the ones who worked hard over the years to get where they are now and they did so by offering products and services that people loved and bought. Now they have made that work and determination a success rivals want Apple to basically give them a free helping hand simply because they were and are not quite as successful as Apple have been.
That is like you working hard to get a promotion and pay rise at work and then I come along in my junior position and demand that you then go out of your way to get me a promotion as well whilst using your wages to do so.
This despite the fact that I did not earn it or work for it, surely you would say to me "I am not helping you when you want a free ride and have not put any hard graft in, if you want a promotion then do what I did and work for it".

That is no different to Apple and the EU seeing Euro signs in their eyes so they can try to thus give competitors a free helping hand.

I do not subscribe at all to the idea that no company can compete with Apple Pay/other Apple services on their own merits. They might need to be not have an app on the iPhone but instead might need to be creative however they can do it.
They just need to shut up moaning and actually try competing instead.
An Android/iOS duopoly has been allowed to establish itself. It is extremely hard to break.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Why is that a bad idea? There's no public-interest reason why buying a phone should lock you into the phone vendor's payment system.
[automerge]1573141938[/automerge]

I think that is what the EU is saying. Let the people decide which payment system they prefer.
[automerge]1573142009[/automerge]

I agree 100% with your first statement. But, why shouldn't there be competition among payment methods?

I understand your points of view but must say that on point #1 why should Apple open up their own product to allow a rival get free profits ? Like if you had your own restaurant and then I come along as a competitor and demand that you allow me to advertise in your restaurant because you are more successful than I am and I am less innovative than you are.
That would not be fair, in my eyes it is Apple's product so thus is nothing to do with any other competitor.
[automerge]1573159798[/automerge]
I actually someone agree with this. Apple needs to open up the NFC chip so it can be fully utilized.

They already have, apparently the EU does not pay attention to facts it seems.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple doesn't have to waste billions doing business in the EU. And while you are right that the EU can force their will upon companies... it's not like they really win, or that Apple really loses. It just changes the cost of doing business there, which results in higher cost for products there. It's quite a simple concept. Congratulations EU... you win, higher cost products.
Perhaps you should look into the history of Microsoft and the EU, Apple will need to watch there step here. Only Apples endless greed increases their prices, nothing else. Personally I think if Apple didn’t want to play by the rules it can go away and lose half its value or more.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Nope, if you do business in the EU you have to abide by the rules/laws.

Why is it that each and every time the EU investigates and/or fines companies we get comments like this...a money grab, a few billion means nothing to the EU.
The EU works differently than the USA, accept it.

Yes the EU ignores the rule of democracy. I remember the Lisbon treaty where the result by the Irish was a no so the EU just told them to try again and now we have Brexit and the attitude of the EU camp is to say ******* to Brexit and we do not care that democracy said to leave.
So with respect it seems that the EU and Us are the same!
The EU is doing a cash grab because Apple does follow the rules and even the Irish said so unless you wish to wear a tinfoil hat and claim that the Irish government and Apple and many others are all part of a conspiracy and only the perfect EU are telling the truth.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes the EU ignores the rule of democracy. I remember the Lisbon treaty where the result by the Irish was a no so the EU just told them to try again and now we have Brexit and the attitude of the EU camp is to say ******* to Brexit and we do not care that democracy said to leave.
So with respect it seems that the EU and Us are the same!
The EU is doing a cash grab because Apple does follow the rules and even the Irish said so unless you wish to wear a tinfoil hat and claim that the Irish government and Apple and many others are all part of a conspiracy and only the perfect EU are telling the truth.
They tried again and the Irish approved, so?

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
We are already in the PRSI forum so here is my analogy. I view choosing a mobile phone platform (iOS vs Android vs "other") like voting for a US Presidential candidate. You have candidate "A" with a set of positions on various issues and candidate "B" with a different set of positions on those same issues. It is pretty much a package deal, do you want position set "A" or position set "B"? You can't take one candidates position on taxes and a different candidate's position on healthcare and a 3rd party candidate's position on something else to create your own candidate to vote for - you either vote for "A" or "B" (or throw your vote away voting on a 3rd party candidate who will end up with 0.7% of the vote).

As voters, you vote the candidate who agrees with you on what is most important to you even if they don't agree with you on everything. I vote for Apple over Android because I agree with the VAST majority of what Apple does. If being able to use Google Pay or Walmart Pay is your top issue, then vote Android.

Thank you for saying what I have been saying, only you explain it a lot more succinctly than I can.
I agree, let people decide what they prefer, Apple Pay on IoS or any other service on Android

Reactions: DoctorTech

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Thank you for saying what I have been saying, only you explain it a lot more succinctly than I can.
I agree, let people decide what they prefer, Apple Pay on IoS or any other service on Android
Many people would prefer another service on iOS.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Yeah we try to regulate monopolistic practices of large corporations over here, you should try it some time...

For real though as a fan of Apple and the EU, this just looks like sensible anti-competition law in practice. Whether any ruling will be made is yet to be seen. I'm certain the reason for this pressure is from other payment vendors worried about Apple encroaching on their space. But seeing as Apple has an understandable advantage hear with their massive hardware base in the wild it could be a tricky one. I still can't see Apple Pay being banned or anything ridiculous so I'd chill out until any decisions are made. EU law is not dictated purely by corporate pressure...

so, by your logic the EU should be leaning on Android then as it is by far the largest platform, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.