Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Yes the EU ignores the rule of democracy. I remember the Lisbon treaty where the result by the Irish was a no so the EU just told them to try again and now we have Brexit and the attitude of the EU camp is to say ******* to Brexit and we do not care that democracy said to leave.
So with respect it seems that the EU and Us are the same!
The EU is doing a cash grab because Apple does follow the rules and even the Irish said so unless you wish to wear a tinfoil hat and claim that the Irish government and Apple and many others are all part of a conspiracy and only the perfect EU are telling the truth.
They tried again and the Irish approved, so?

Right time to set the fact straights on this. The Irish voted No to Lisbon for a few specifics reasons. The Irish government then renegotiated on these points, won some concession, and then another referendum was held which then passed. It was NOT the case that the EU told the Irish government what to do. In fact, there is a whole big list of changes to the text of the ammendment here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twent...e_Constitution_of_Ireland#Changes_to_the_text

About the Ireland + Apple tax thing. This is the whole question - were the Irish government and Apple in cahoots for a shady deal where Apple got off tax and Ireland got jobs? This is why the EU are forcing Ireland to collect the tax - they think it looks like there was deal in breach of EU competition law. The actual tax agreementl between Ireland and the Irish tax authority is treated as a secret by the Irish Revenue service, and so nobody outside of Apple and the Irish Revenue actually know the true story. The current Irish government possibly doesn't even know, but they are no doubt frightened of losing Apple as an employer.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Netflix is cheaper if you have a Romanian credit card than if you have an English one.

That fundamentally goes against free movement and causes complications. You have to prevent French from opening Lithuanian bank accounts. And when you move from France to Germany, you need to switch all your finances over. I've moved between 5 different states and I kept the same bank account, credit cards, cell phone plan and number, every single time.

Ultimately, the EU needs to equalize what people are making in every country. While it means poor countries will get richer, it's impossible to do that without the rich countries getting poorer, which is what the rich countries do not want.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Perhaps you should look into the history of Microsoft and the EU, Apple will need to watch there step here. Only Apples endless greed increases their prices, nothing else. Personally I think if Apple didn’t want to play by the rules it can go away and lose half its value or more.

You lost me at “only Apples endless greed”. No point reading after that

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
That fundamentally goes against free movement and causes complications. You have to prevent French from opening Lithuanian bank accounts. And when you move from France to Germany, you need to switch all your finances over. I've moved between 5 different states and I kept the same bank account, credit cards, cell phone plan and number, every single time.

Ultimately, the EU needs to equalize what people are making in every country. While it means poor countries will get richer, it's impossible to do that without the rich countries getting poorer, which is what the rich countries do not want.
Here you are wrong.
EU funds are distributed to poorer countries such as Poland and Romania. Funds are used to develop infrastructure, the materials for that development are supplied by EU countries, making them richer. In the case of the UK, developing countries require insurance and financial products, that makes us richer too.
Fundamentally the richer get richer when the poor have more disposable income.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Here you are wrong.
EU funds are distributed to poorer countries such as Poland and Romania. Funds are used to develop infrastructure, the materials for that development are supplied by EU countries, making them richer. In the case of the UK, developing countries require insurance and financial products, that makes us richer too.
Fundamentally the richer get richer when the poor have more disposable income.

Distributing funds helps build infrastructure which seeds business, but you can't have 100% of the population of Romania living off government welfare checks forever.

The second part is that such growth is inequitable. The UK stopped making cars because it's a lot cheaper to make them in Poland. They sell more cars in Poland, so say they buy 20% more insurance. So the UK insurance executive gets 20% richer, and the UK factory worker is unemployed. However, both people are entitled the same one vote. Therefore, Brexit.

Reactions: Marekul

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Distributing funds helps build infrastructure which seeds business, but you can't have 100% of the population of Romania living off government welfare checks forever.

The second part is that such growth is inequitable. The UK stopped making cars because it's a lot cheaper to make them in Poland. They sell more cars in Poland, so they buy 20% more insurance. So the UK insurance executive gets 20% richer, and the UK factory worker is unemployed. However, both people are entitled the same one vote. Therefore, Brexit.
Firstly 100% or not even close are living off welfare, they are a strong proud nation learning to live in a post communist economy.

We live in a global economy. Cars are made all over the EU in the form of millions of components. We have a healthy car industry that will die when we leave the EU.
80% of our output is service based not manufacturing, the single market gives us £125bn of income we would otherwise lose. That’s a lot of jobs daddio that guys like you are willing to throw away for absolutely no upside.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Isn’t this rather like complaining about the monopoly Nando’s has on the food that’s sold in Nando’s?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

The second part is that such growth is inequitable. The UK stopped making cars because it's a lot cheaper to make them in Poland. They sell more cars in Poland, so they buy 20% more insurance. So the UK insurance executive gets 20% richer, and the UK factory worker is unemployed. However, both people are entitled the same one vote. Therefore, Brexit.
The UK has several car factories. But they may lose them with Brexit.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Isn’t this rather like complaining about the monopoly Nando’s has on the food that’s sold in Nando’s?
No, it’s more like stopping the man who invented Television from being the only one who gets to make TV shows.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Firstly 100% or not even close are living off welfare, they are a strong proud nation learning to live in a post communist economy.

We live in a global economy. Cars are made all over the EU in the form of millions of components. We have a healthy car industry that will die when we leave the EU.
80% of our output is service based not manufacturing, the single market gives us £125bn of income we would otherwise lose. That’s a lot of jobs daddio that guys like you are willing to throw away for absolutely no upside.
No you wouldn’t loose that income. Project fear.

Also that income is only about 12% of the total income. Yet represents nearly 40% of effort from the exports. Those don’t look good and efficient efforts to me. As a nation the opportunities are endless to improve on that.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

Actually no, you're reliant on the US. All of Ford's small- and medium-car platforms are based off British designs. All Ford diesel engines too, including the full-size truck platform. Ford's vans in the US are the Transits. Most small Ford engines and a number of their transmissions are manufactured in the UK, and that trickles down to UK suppliers like GKN and Bosch's UK operations.

80% of our output is service based not manufacturing, the single market gives us £125bn of income we would otherwise lose.

Again, that doesn't mean it's not unequal. You're screwing over 20% of the population, which is allowable in a democracy, but unjust and that inequality leads to problems.

Last edited:

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
No you wouldn’t loose that income. Project fear.

Also that income is only about 12% of the total income. Yet represents nearly 40% of effort from the exports. Those don’t look good and efficient efforts to me. As a nation the opportunities are endless to improve on that.
It’s nowhere near 12% It’s much closer to 3%
give me one better option than focussing on 500million consumers that live on our doorstep!
Don’t say the USA, trump is a dick, don’t tell me Australia, they really can’t be arsed with us. Who, just who do you think we can have a trade deal with that improves our export trading. I’ll wait.

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
There is only one toilet in my bathroom. It has a monopoly on my biological needs. Could the EU solve this problem for me?
Maybe you could have the EU look into the massive hole in your head.

Didn't know that your bathroom is a market, your toilet is a supplier of a commodity and you have absolutely no other place to take a **** in.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
You would have one system selected as the default; in the same way that you can have multiple cards set up on Apple Pay but only the default one is presented when you click the button to pay.

Ok, yea that makes sense. I suppose they need to have some technical security concern or something, or else they dont really have legitimate leg to stand on...

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Actually no, you're reliant on the US. All of Ford's small- and medium-car platforms are based off British designs. All Ford diesel engines too, including the full-size truck platform. Most small Ford engines and a number of their transmissions are manufactured in the UK, and that trickles down to UK suppliers.

Again, that doesn't mean it's not unequal. You're screwing over 20% of the population, which is allowable in a democracy, but unjust and that inequality leads to problems.
Incoherent argument here. Parts for cars are made in the EU.
I’m not screwing 20% of the nation, Patrick Minford’s own analysis says that Brexit will destroy manufacturing and farming, he’s on the governments side.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Perhaps if you can have a discussion without childish name calling and expletives you may get an answer.
I doubt any answer will be satisfactory for you considering you attitude on display.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Actually no, you're reliant on the US. All of Ford's small- and medium-car platforms are based off British designs. All Ford diesel engines too, including the full-size truck platform. Most small Ford engines and a number of their transmissions are manufactured in the UK, and that trickles down to UK suppliers like GKN and Bosch's UK operations.
Ford is following the other big American automakers out of Europe.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
Reading comments about this topic made me smile today...

With China and Hong Kong issue fanboys claimed that Apple should abide and comply with whatever law the region has even if its not morally right or politically correct... now here comes EU and its law for anti-competitive, the fanboys are angry at EU :p

I am not saying its bad being a fanboy but if makes you blind, naive and arrogant then that is another thing.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
It sounds like there's something about the NFC chip in particular that makes it vulnerable in the scenario of third-party payment platforms/apps. That raises questions about Apple's implementation of its NFC chip.

The EU is being ridiculous. Does your MasterCard have to be accepted where VISA is accepted? Does your MC have to have support for your VISA on it's chip? Come on, man.

That would be valid if Apple Wallet didn't accommodate multiple different cards. This is applying one standard to Apple Wallet and the opposing standard to the NFC chip.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Does your MC have to have support for your VISA on it's chip? Come on, man.

Actually that's true in the US for debit cards, they must be able to be processed through two unaffiliated networks. For example one of mine has Visa Debit on the front and Cirrus (Mastercard) on the back.

It was one of the reasons why our chip implementation was delayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.