Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
I'm underestimating - UK government alone can account for at least quarter of a million, add UK universities, scientific institutions, technology companies etc and you have a few million just in the UK.
Then you must also be underestimating the number of iPhone users. The UK population now is about 68 million, so if we (conservatively) assume that 60% percent of us have smartphones, and (also conservatively) assume that 50% of those are iPhone users, that's over 20 million to start with. Which substantially dwarfs 'a few'.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
How does carriers benefit of user data if most user data goes through encrypted HTTPS?

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I want to love this feature, really I do, but it's killing my internet speeds. For a page to actually load takes for ever with Private Relay enabled. I click a link > Safari starts loading > Nothing happens > Nothing happens > Nothing happens > Page loads instantly. This happens on both my MacBook Pro and iPhone. Mainly on wifi, it's slightly less bad on 5G.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Oh no! We can't spy, censor, or control what our customers do online anymore, where can we turn? The fascist EU police state to the rescue! Anything can be justified by EU protectionism. The Nazis were defeated... so another police state can take their place complete with modern day Stasi to police your thoughtcrimes

Reactions: GarethR

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Indeed they do. Not sure how that is relevant to me pointing out the actual behaviour which can result in breaking access to local systems.
The relevance is that it is Safari only. If it applied generally to other browsers and services, they would say so. See this article for further clarification. "It only works with Safari, not any of the other apps or web browsers you use. Technically, some other DNS info and a small subset of app-related web traffic will use it, but it’s best to think of it as a Safari-only thing."

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
It's all about creating a public record of transactions that everyone can see. 100% the opposite of keeping people's browsing data private.
Im not talking about peoples data. Im talking about verification that apple’s software is actually doing what it says its doing

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
Then you must also be underestimating the number of iPhone users. The UK population now is about 68 million, so if we (conservatively) assume that 60% percent of us have smartphones, and (also conservatively) assume that 50% of those are iPhone users, that's over 20 million to start with. Which substantially dwarfs 'a few'.
50% with iPhones? Yeah, good luck justifying that BS. I can take a sample from a university network where the numbers are disproportionately weighted towards shiny devices and still not come up with more than 20% market share.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
50% with iPhones? Yeah, good luck justifying that BS. I can take a sample from a university network where the numbers are disproportionately weighted towards shiny devices and still not come up with more than 20% market share.
In December 2021, the total market share of iOS, the Apple operating system, in the United Kingdom (UK), reached 54.45 percent, up from 50.85 percent in the previous year.

Reactions: somnolentsurfer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.