Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rme

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
ASML are slowly being replaced. They are only dominant due to a couple of technology innovations ironically from Taiwanese engineers. China is throwing a lot of people and money into immersion litho kit as are non TSMC supply chains.
Interesting. I knew China is working on producing 7nm chips, but didn't realize they were producing their own lithography systems. Makes perfect sense of course..

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
The trouble with Europe’s broad attack on U.S. tech companies is that it hurts Europe above all.
It doesn't hurt "Europe"(its EU actually which is not the same thing) at all. And there's no attack on US tech companies.

Europe will never be able to regulate its way to tech competitiveness.
You say it like its a sure thing when it certainly isn't, not to mention that's not what EU is doing anyway.
Also EU's problem isn't really tech competitiveness but independence although that's a problem everybody has. We live in a globalized world after all.

It has to come from industry, not government. All these problems like privacy, monopoly and, above all the out-maneuvering of European companies by culture-shifting Silicon Valley companies should be solved by European startups, innovation, entrepreneurship not meddling EU commissions, politicians and judges.
The biggest success a startup can have these days is to become relevant enough in order to be bought by a big tech company. Looking at the reality, EU's regulatory actions aren't really bad for the industry or users(and that's what really matters, not Apple's sentiments), it's just that apple(like any company) will have to do something it doesn't want, like that's such a huge incredible problem a lot of users here can't get passed.
Funny thing I constantly see these suggestions that Apple has so much cash, Apple should buy Samsung, Google, Microsoft Amazon, throw money left and right etc, but when it comes to obeying the law Apple has no money to waste, that's quite weird. Also there's no problem on this site when Apple has to obey the Chinese Government for example.

Sure, European elites can keep Europe as a bubble of privilege, protectionism and heavy-handed government intervention. But that won’t stop the future. It will merely remove Europe from being influential in guiding that future.
EU will always be an essential part of the world culture, economy and politics and US has a lot to learn from the EU society in general. Regulating companies that make computers and gadgets certainly won't change that in any way or make EU irrelevant in any way.

Last edited:

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
ASML are slowly being replaced. They are only dominant due to a couple of technology innovations ironically from Taiwanese engineers. China is throwing a lot of people and money into immersion litho kit as are non TSMC supply chains.
No it isn't, ASML controls 90% of it's market and will only become more important.
Also I don't see the relevance of the etnicity of some of ASML's employees.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Interesting. I knew China is working on producing 7nm chips, but didn't realize they were producing their own lithography systems. Makes perfect sense of course..
They aren't, they only copied some old ASML tech which is not even close to ASML's current tech.
There's no real indication China right now is capable of producing anything close to TSMC's 7nm chips.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Their is a broader issue beyond the EU - countries such as China will probably not want sideloading to be official since they also no longer have a compliant Apple to control what their citizens can download. Given China's market is as large as the EU's you could see different iPhones for different markets; and the ability to shutdown, or enable, sideloading in software based on geolocation.

China will likely want side loading so domestic companies can set up alternative app stores which are much easier to control.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
They aren't, they only copied some old ASML tech which is not even close to ASML's current tech.
There's no real indication China right now is capable of producing anything close to TSMC's 7nm chips.

SMIC are spinning up 7nm nodes already and have 5nm on the way using EUV litho. Might want to get some popcorn for this battle.

However smaller features don't drive everything. In fact they might not really matter past consumer device market. There's plenty of larger planar CMOS devices on the market out there in literally everything from cars to aeroplanes which are far more lucrative but just aren't as sexy. Levering them out of the hands of other fabs and creating a 100% domestic market is number 1 priority for China.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
SMIC are spinning up 7nm nodes already and have 5nm on the way using EUV litho. Might want to get some popcorn for this battle.
There's no indication SMIC right now mass produces any advance 7nm chips.
At the end of 2021 China was able to:
- Indigenous produce 28 nm Chips without any outside involvement.
-China also produces 14 nm Chips on its own but requires all its equipment from Germany and Netherlands to do so. In short China cannot make the chips without the Equipment. Thus China imports over 72% of 14nm Chips and makes only around 27% of the chips.
-China completely imports 7 nm and 5 nm Chips entirely and wholly from Taiwan and South Korea

Anyway I find if funny that you try to dismiss my example by claiming that ASML will be replaced by China somehow.
That would be terrible for everybody especially the US although luckily it doesn't look like it's possible in the near future anyway.
At the end of the day your point was that it would be impossible to build very technologically advanced products in the EU like ASML's Lithography systems for example. Even if ASML would theoretically be replaced my example still stands.

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Apple doesn't respect standards, to them it's either their way or the highway.
Or THIS. Apple creates standards. If you don't like them, build your own.

Great example is Tesla charging stations.
They were built for Tesla cars to charge. Tesla put the charging port on the back left of the car. Next gen EVs are creating their own standards and then complaining about not being able to charge at the ubiquitous Tesla chargers. If you buy an XYZ EV with the charging port at the front left, call XYZ to complain about the lack of charging convenience / capacity. Don't force Tesla to build a better charger.

It's not Apple's fault you chose to host your app with them.
Apple could charge every developer in the EU $10/month per app.
Who would this hurt, big companies or little companies?

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
It doesn't hurt "Europe"(its EU actually which is not the same thing) at all. And there's no attack on US tech companies.

You say it like its a sure thing when it certainly isn't, not to mention that's not what EU is doing anyway.
Also EU's problem isn't really tech competitiveness but independence although that's a problem everybody has. We live in a globalized world after all.

The biggest success a startup can have these days is to become relevant enough in order to be bought by a big tech company. Looking at the reality, EU's regulatory actions aren't really bad for the industry or users(and that's what really matters, not Apple's sentiments), it's just that apple(like any company) will have to do something it doesn't want, like that's such a huge incredible problem a lot of users here can't get passed.
Funny thing I constantly see these suggestions that Apple has so much cash, Apple should buy Samsung, Google, Microsoft Amazon, throw money left and right etc, but when it comes to obeying the law Apple has no money to waste, that's quite weird. Also there's no problem on this site when Apple has to obey the Chinese Government for example.

EU will always be an essential part of the world culture, economy and politics and US has a lot to learn from the EU society in general. Regulating companies that make computers and gadgets certainly won't change that in any way or make EU irrelevant in any way.

I am not pursued by your arguments and stand by my original assessment that this does not bode well for Europe. Yes, Europe, it's not it's not just the EU heading down this path of targeting US tech firms to bolster the competitiveness of their local companies. Don't agree? Wait and see.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
I am not pursued by your arguments and stand by my original assessment that this does not bode well for Europe. Yes, Europe, it's not it's not just the EU heading down this path of targeting US tech firms to bolster the competitiveness of their local companies. Don't agree? Wait and see.
Your assessment is not based on anything concrete and it's obvious you can't go into details anyways.
And OK fine, Europe which for your information is a colossus market of 746 million people. At the end companies that make gadgets are just that, companies which come and go all the time and are constantly replaced and so on.
And EU targets all companies that fit a criteria not specifically "US companies".

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Your assessment is not based on anything concrete and it's obvious you can't go into details anyways.
And OK fine, Europe which for your information is a colossus market of 746 million people. At the end companies that make gadgets are just that, companies which come and go all the time and are constantly replaced and so on.
And EU targets all companies that fit a criteria not specifically "US companies".

If that is what you have to keep telling yourself. By all means..

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
So are they going after consoles as well?
Why shouldnt I be able to play every game, at the same quality, on any hardware I want?
And all the old Nintendo cartridges from Gameboy, these should be loadable on new current hardware. Not have to rebuy them.

And my electric car, there should be one charge point. no adaptors I have to buy.

And why stop here?
I'm tired of seeing US goods I want to buy that run on 110 volts and have their plug not an Australian one.

Thank goodness TVs learnt early and can play pretty much any framerate now or file format.
But can I sue that my CRT can play high res files?

Seriously, I dont care if they are forced to let people sideload. Let them. But do that and then you dont get to spread your spyware to others because Apple flags your device as not-walled and poses a safety to risk to users who dont sideload.

I've always believed you know Apple curate the iOS before you buy.
If you dont like that rule, then buy an Android device.

• Love
Reactions: Razorpit

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
These two comments, while probably sarcastic, brings up some good points on sideloading. If Apple is forced to allow sideloading, enforcing laws regulating speech become much more difficult. With the Apple store, Apple acted as the gatekeeper for compliance since installing apps outside of it involved jumping through hoops.

With sideloading, the EU could no longer expect Apple to act as their gatekeeper; but will have to go directly to the developer, which in some cases may simply be beyond the EU's control. A developer outside of the EU has no reason to comply if they don't want to; and I suspect some of the more fringe ones will actually take pride in being "silenced" and use it to pump up their importance.

Their is a broader issue beyond the EU - countries such as China will probably not want sideloading to be official since they also no longer have a compliant Apple to control what their citizens can download. Given China's market is as large as the EU's you could see different iPhones for different markets; and the ability to shutdown, or enable, sideloading in software based on geolocation.
Yet another Apple fan either blissfully unaware, or in complete denial, that macOS has always allowed sideloading, from the very first Apple I computer that started Apple, all the way to the latest M1 machines. Oh what an inconvenient hole, exposing your entire belief system for the trash it is. Yeah yeah, I know, you're going to reply with "but but but Macs and phones are DiFeReNt." Please do spare me the further delusional mind twists and mouth foaming, attempting to justify the impossible.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Another reason why the EU is no longer fit for purpose.
We saw that with vaccine rollout, we have seen that with the slow response regarding Ukraine. And this idea that EU technocrats have a better understanding of freedoms and technology, than the actual industry is laughable.
Which government in the world has responded to Ukraine correctly?

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
I think a lot of users would like to see USB-C mandated. I don't hear users screaming for all these other things the EU is planning.

Reactions: rme

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
I find the fine on Global Revenue to be ridiculous and unprecedented. As for iOS the EU should just make it illegal. Apple can close it’s shops, research centers, server farms and put those someplace else. But then the EU would take a pretty big economic hit at a very bad time. Seems like they want to have their cake, and eat it all too.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
I find the fine on Global Revenue to be ridiculous and unprecedented. As for iOS the EU should just make it illegal. Apple can close it’s shops, research centers, server farms and put those someplace else. But then the EU would take a pretty big economic hit at a very bad time. Seems like they want to have their cake, and eat it all too.
EU will take a big economic hit not Apple? That's funny. EU's overall GDP is over 17 trillion/ year. Apple's business in Europe is just a drop in a bucket by comparison. Not to mention apple sells goods that are easily replaceable by goods from other companies. EU is not Botswana, Apple has no power to threaten EU in any way.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I think a lot of users would like to see USB-C mandated. I don't hear users screaming for all these other things the EU is planning.

Exactly.

I would love to use a USB-C cable to charge my iPhone.

But things like alternate app stores, sideloading, and 3rd-party payment processors don't move the needle for me.

It seems like those things would benefit developers... not users.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: MacLawyer

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
China will likely want side loading so domestic companies can set up alternative app stores which are much easier to control.
If that were the case they already would have required it. Sideloading would allow users to bypass controls and access programs China may want banned; having 1 source for programs makes it easier to control what is available.

Reactions: SFjohn

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Yet another Apple fan either blissfully unaware, or in complete denial, that macOS has always allowed sideloading, from the very first Apple I computer that started Apple, all the way to the latest M1 machines. Oh what an inconvenient hole, exposing your entire belief system for the trash it is. Yeah yeah, I know, you're going to reply with "but but but Macs and phones are DiFeReNt." Please do spare me the further delusional mind twists and mouth foaming, attempting to justify the impossible.

Oh, I'm quite aware of that since I was using computers when you were still just a wet dream.

It actually bolsters my points, that sideloading will change the way governments are capable of restricting access and controlling content since there is not a single gatekeeper. Apple and others will no longer bear any responsibility for such apps; and the user data provisions can absolve them of privacy issues as well. In some ways this can be a win for the big tech companies if they use the rules to their advantage; which I have no doubt they will.

Thank you for making my point.

I also remember the heyday of bit copier piracy, and later when jailbreaking helped enable piracy; I suspect developers will not be happy with some of the potential fallout as well.

Reactions: Razorpit

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
As an idea. Some Apple Apps dot work in some countries outside the US. So, do the same thing with iMessages. You want The Zuck to have your private data? Use Messages, SnapperChat, TickeryTockery etc. Open piracy AppStore for the EUgo. Safet AppStore for the rest of the world

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.