Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grantew1

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Midwest
Get a computer if you want complete control. iOS is fine how it is.

As a developer I'm more inclined to support iOS because of how hard it is to pirate apps. If piracy was allowed on iOS (which is essentially what you're asking) then the only reason to support iOS is taken away.

and then I switch to being a web developer. Can't pirate webapps.
They said you can't download a car years ago, now you can....*taps side of head.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
For those who don't know, here is Steve's insight.

It's sad these opportunists from billion dollar companies try to milk more money by forcing regulations on Apple.

As much as I love Steve, that insight is obsolete, back in 2010 apps didn't have subscriptions, you paid it once and downloaded once and used perpetually. The 30% could be justified for that model back in 2010 for apps that you pay once.

But nowadays with streaming going mainstream, the 30% model on monthly payments is absurd. Why do you think Apple introduced the 15% after the first year? They know they are milking Spotify, Netflix etc unjustly and that the milking machine won't last.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Ive said this a long time ago, before Spotify’s complaint and Epic’s and Cydia’s lawsuits: it’s just a matter of time before the hammer drops on Apple and its App Store/payment processor practices.

Reactions: trifid

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
It is proposed that this gives Apple an "unfair advantage," since Spotify is unable to fairly compete with Apple Music's standard $9.99 per month price within the ‌App Store‌. If Spotify chooses not to collect payments via the ‌App Store‌, Apple purportedly "applies a series of technical and experience-limiting restrictions" on the company. It is also said that Apple was "locking Spotify and other competitors out of Apple services such as Siri, HomePod, and Apple Watch," thereby making Apple Music a more attractive option for subscribers.
I believe this statement is of merit.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
So Spotify are still complaining that Apple (a competitor) are not bending over backwards to help them out. That is as silly as KFC complaining that McDonalds is not selling their fried chicken so that is somehow anti competitive.
Apple offer a competing service that happens to be part of a wider ecosystem, the App Store.
What Spotify are therefore demanding is that either Apple stop offering any service that competes with Spotify or that they charge more than Spotify do and thus give Spotify an advantage.
Spotify should be told that Apple are a business and not a charity and by their same logic I could sue Spotify because they do not allow me to sell my services on their platform!
I therefore demand they stop trading and give me $1,000,000,000 a year because it amounts to the same thing as they are asking in my view!

Spotify should either innovate/adapt or shut up!

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
It's a fair complaint. With Apple having their own music streaming service has no reason to treat Spotify fairly. I don't know what the end result would logically look like but there is definitely a conflict of interest in the current setup.
The only conflict is that Spotify is demanding an unfair and frankly illegal outcome!
They want Apple to never offer any service that competes with them or to raise their prices so that Spotify is always cheaper.
Spotify should shut up and grow up!

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
I do think there's merit to this. Users should be able to seamlessly integrate other music apps like Spotify as well as Apple does with their app. I'm currently getting a free Pandora premium account and it sucks on the Apple Watch and on HomePod you have to finish every request with "... on pandora".

Spotify should just require subscription signups on its website, isn't this what Netflix and Disney+ do?
Nope!
if I open a restaurant then why should I allow you to use my restaurant to cook your own food and sell it whilst offering me zero money for using my premises, power, food and staff etc?
The answer is I should not and you should either follow the rules I set down should I allow you or go elsewhere.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
"but iOS isn't the majority of the smartphone market, how can they be charged with antitrust abuse of monopoly power, when they're only a minority player - Spotify should just go to Android if they don't agree to Apple's terms, because Apple made the iOS market and they set the rules"

welcome to "competition policy doesn't work the way you think it does".
Spotify demand that Apple do business their way and allow Spotify to be the ONLY service on the App Store.
Competition policy does not work the way you think it does.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Spotify is already eating apple's lunch in the music space.

other way round!
Spotify would not be complaining like a child if they were not losing out!

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Who said anything about Android? nobody gestured towards android as being the optimal solution because if anything’s it’s probably a lot worse.

Apple doesn’t exercise nearly as much control on macOS and yet the app market there is as healthy as it can be and there’s no issues with security.

If these rules were making it nice for developers and users apple wouldn’t be swimming in investigations and lawsuits.
Did you just call the macOS app market healthy? I’m a dev but you don’t need to be one to know the market is a joke compared to iOS.

• Disagree
Reactions: Suckfest 9001

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Just require sign up outside the app.

These attacks discourage someone from building a good environment for apps. Why go to all that work if politicians will just come screw it up (an evergreen sentiment).

Besides being a walled garden the App Store also protests developers. It’s got a lot going for it.

Do you think Mac's would be better if we only had access to the App Store? The Mac would be a complete joke if Apple would close "side loading" on Mac's, as the best software is not in the App Store.

So I am all open for allowing "side loading" on my iPad pro and iPhone.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Do you think Mac's would be better if we only had access to the App Store? The Mac would be a complete joke if Apple would close "side loading" on Mac's, as the best software is not in the App Store.

So I am all open for allowing "side loading" on my iPad pro and iPhone.

Maybe the “best” software isn’t in the Mac App Store precisely because it can be downloaded from an external website.

Close up the Mac platform and I wonder just how many apps will suddenly make themselves available in the App Store because that’s the only way to access Mac users?

• Wow
Reactions: Rob_2811

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
The end result could look like spotify creating their own phones and then their own app store. Then they could charge everyone else 0% commission to do everything involved with selling the apps....... (We all know they wouldnt do it for free.)

(This is not pointed at you 5232152. Your comment was not too bad) But I just hate how people on this thread and elsewhere think it is ok to have government step in and tell a private company what they can sell, when and how they can sell it, and how much to charge. FOR STUFF ON THEIR OWN APP STORE. If the spotify customers dont like it, go to an andoid phone. But what are android devs charged to sell their apps on the android store? I dont know. Maybe its better. But the devs have the right to go there and customers have the right to change from Apple to Android once they see some of the favorite apps missing/unavailable. The free market has a solution for all of these problems.

I assume by your comment you are American. This is a European lawsuit. And the problem is not what any private company does but a company that has a monopoly they can use try to squeeze others. It is a spiral that will end up costing more jobs and money than it will save anyone. It's a fairness principle that governs that nobody is above the people.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Not when those institutions are corrupt and self serving!
For corrupt you would need evidence. For self serving, That’s the point of them to look after and remedy their best interests, every government and large organisation is self serving surely.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
I don't value govt oversight of market practices, especially in less free countries, especially when it's tech sector in a non-techy country. Or in Texas. It means corruption and extortion.

Edit: And yes, the TikTok fiasco was screwed up too.
You may not like the idea of government oversight of markets but time and time again it has been proven that Markets left to their own devices distort and become anti competitive, against the reasonable interests of consumers. Light touches are essential.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
How is the price of a service a good argument? Competing products in all areas of life have different pricing. And do you think Target charges themselves the same for their own branded products?

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
The App Store is the virtual equivalent of a Department Store. In Dept stores brands get to sell their goods in set locations, and pay a commissions to the Dept. Store.

This model is not new. It's as old as any of us and older. It's a proven model.

Yes and these Department Stores sell their own branded goods along side the other brands who have to pay a commission.

Apple being the Dept Store owner, also has the cost of developing and running it (heat lights and security at the door) etc. etc.) the analogy is a perfect match IMHO.

The truth is the EU is a monster and it's E.U.S.S.R now, technocrats paradise, playing pretend market economy. Britain did the right thing. More former countries may follow back to nationhood.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki and I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.